All right, sources have reported back, and this happens next Thursday.

I say no trade like that......take BPA at 9........and keep our #2...another good player will be available there....we got Cordy glenn there, woods.....yeh...we need two, not a better #1.

They didn't address OT in FA so they have to get one in the draft.... if they don't take one at 9 I think they would be foolish to wait until round 3 and then they still don't have a WR or TE (whatever they didn't get in rd 1) or another DE... sorry, giving up too much in this scenario. I can see a team like the Niners giving up picks for Watkins. Not the Bills.

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't watch much college football do you? With that being said, this is too much to trade up for an unproven receiver. I think Watkins is going to be a good one but I think Ebron has just as good of chance to be good. Sit tight, grab Ebron @ 9.

Nope. That's why I asked. :) I just looked at measurables and was a bit confused. I appreciate the clarification, though.

Hate it generally, or just Hate it for Watkins.

In another thread I have us trading up to #4 for Mack. Is that better for you?

No...I hate it because this is a 6-10 team giving up a 2nd round pick in what is considered to be the deepest Draft in a decade...I would not give up #41 for anyone in this Draft, and least of all a Defensive player...Because it's my personal belief that what you can get at #9 plus what you can get at #41 is going to be better than any single player you can trade up for...And I'm rarely as confident in things as I am about that this year...This would be stupid IMHO... B-)

Well...Maybe because they would get another 2nd Round pick in one of the deepest Drafts in recent memory?...This would be a brilliant move by Cleveland...It gives them yet another top 50 pick and a quality #2 WR...That's smart team building... B-)

+1....I agree, they have Gordon is the field-stretching WR, with SJ you have your possession WR and adding a pick allows them to get LB and OL help while also adding a DB....

I will also add this: Doug Whaley has said they are "all in" on EJ, this type of trade - IF it does happen - would be nothing short of a complete demonstration of that fact...that DW is willing to forego a valuable pick at #41, not to mention SJ, in order to gain another truly talented weapon for EJ, to grow with, sort of like the Kelly, Thurman, Reed thing....or Aikman, Irvin, Emmitt thing...that, would also spell some indication that a 4th Round RB is almost a guarantee, as I'm assuming 3rd Round would be for an OT...unless they wheel and deal some more for picks, ala players or next year's Draft....

Start convincing me now that Watkins is worth all of the chatter surrounding him. Obviously people who know football, scouts, FO coaches etc. like the guy if what we read is to be believed...I just can't get over the hurdle that more than 50% of his receptions last season began at or behind the line of scrimmage. That won't be the case in the NFL.

Is he a polished route runner?

Does he have excellent hands?

Can he disengage from tight coverage?

These are honest questions that I'm interested in getting feedback on.

Start convincing me now that Watkins is worth all of the chatter surrounding him. Obviously people who know football, scouts, FO coaches etc. like the guy if what we read is to be believed...I just can't get over the hurdle that more than 50% of his receptions last season began at or behind the line of scrimmage. That won't be the case in the NFL.

Is he a polished route runner?

Does he have excellent hands?

Can he disengage from tight coverage?

These are honest questions that I'm interested in getting feedback on.

Matt Bowen of Bleacher Report (former NFL safety who spent time with the Bills) has an outstanding film breakdown of Sammy Watkins...best source you can read if you want the answers to those questions IMO.

I'd post the link, but, well...

Also, I think it is too much to give up for a WR considering we are more than one player away from a deep run at the playoffs.

depending on how deep you mean, i think you may get different answers from the front office if asked. i think they see themselves as playoff contenders, and with 1 more impact player perhaps someone that could even win a game once there.

add that impact player, and still get a RT, or TE in the 3rd and i think they would be quite alright.

whether you agree with that take, i think its where they see themselves.

This seems like way too much to give up to move up 5 spots.

He is sick on screens. But we don't run them.

Exactly, on both points.

This would be like the Bills trading up for CJ Spiller back in 2010 IMO. Almost 60% of Watkins receptions came from screen passes, and 70% of his total catches within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage. Just sayin.

Watkins is compared to Percy Harvin, 1st round #22, Josh Gordon 2nd round supplemental draft. Trading two #1's, and more for a WR? This move by this team wouldn't surprise me at all, and in all probability will be the last draft by this regime.

Edited by FeartheLosing

I've said it before, I'll say it again, next Thursday the Bills are going to draft somebody. It can't get here soon enough.

That's BS. I'll go further out on a limb (because that's the kind of guy I am)

Next Thursday the Bills will trade up in the first round, trade down in the first round or choose the 9th player in the 2014 NFL Draft.

depending on how deep you mean, i think you may get different answers from the front office if asked. i think they see themselves as playoff contenders, and with 1 more impact player perhaps someone that could even win a game once there.

add that impact player, and still get a RT, or TE in the 3rd and i think they would be quite alright.

whether you agree with that take, i think its where they see themselves.

How on gods green earth does a 6-10 team with a corps of 2nd year QB's, and a bad O line see themselves as playoff contenders? I literally had a good laugh when I read that remark. Have the Bills FO people been partying with Rob Ford recently?

I see this team in desperate help for the line in terms of RT, LG, and some decent depth at several positions besides players directly off the waiver wire. "IF" they upgrade that O line then the QB's might just stand a chance in developing into decent QB's, and might be able to field a team with a winning record of maybe 8-8, 9-7.

The only other alternative I see is moving up to draft Johnny Football, and then the team shouldn't need to expend many resources on the line.

Nope. That's why I asked. :) I just looked at measurables and was a bit confused. I appreciate the clarification, though.

Sorry for coming off as a wise ass. Sammie is a special play, he is a pure playmaker, he is able to take it to the house anywhere on the field. Woods or Johnson for that matter just does not have this capability.

How on gods green earth does a 6-10 team with a corps of 2nd year QB's, and a bad O line see themselves as playoff contenders? I literally had a good laugh when I read that remark. Have the Bills FO people been partying with Rob Ford recently?

I see this team in desperate help for the line in terms of RT, LG, and some decent depth at several positions besides players directly off the waiver wire. "IF" they upgrade that O line then the QB's might just stand a chance in developing into decent QB's, and might be able to field a team with a winning record of maybe 8-8, 9-7.

The only other alternative I see is moving up to draft Johnny Football, and then the team shouldn't need to expend many resources on the line.

Look there is going to be a new owner next year. The 5 year plan or the wait to next year plan is done. This regime needs to get into the playoffs this year or they are going to be out and they know it. So you may not see this team as a playoff team but they need to be thinking playoffs or chances are they are not going to be in Buffalo next year.

Please provide the source for this. I find that about this time of the year several things happen. Football fans start making multiple wild predictions in the hope that one will pan out and make them look like a wise, cagy insider. Another is that people start rumors for the fun of it and these pass through multiple hands. The fact that multiple people are saying the same thing than takes on an aria of reality and becomes a "fact". I raised 3 daughters and I have heard idle speculation turn into hard fact after 4-5 telephone conversations.