Donald Sterling - LA Clippers owner

Quick question for the crowd. Doc Rivers has come out and publicly supported Silver in his decision. Can Sterling fire Rivers for not supporting him and his business? I mean, he would be trying to protect his brand and all.

No because Silver banned him from all business decisions, including personnel, with regards to the Clippers.

But way to go, take the racist's side and try to find a way to get the black guy fired. Classy, Chan.

There used to be a good dude around these parts with a similar handle (before the aliens got him) and because you remind me of him I'm not going to lose my patience with you, but I am getting a little tired of repeating myself, so I'll say this and call it a night, and we can resume this tomorrow if we feel so inclined.

1. I did not misconstrue it as punishment. I responded to others referring to it as such. (pretty sure I said this already, I think more than once)

2. The NBA could have gotten around it with a public statement that they don't share or condone and are opposed to his beliefs, but that his personal opinions are not actionable.

3. Is there a bylaw prohibiting any and all thoughts regarding black people (and presumably other minorities?) that diverge from the accepted politically correct views?

1. Again, that's not me. I'm not making that argument. I'm saying the NBA was completely justified in their decision, you are saying it's punitive. Are you not? If you're not, then what are we arguing about? If you are, you're incorrect. (edit: not incorrect, we just disagree)

2. Great. You still haven't explained how they could get around it. A public statement was not going to cut it, did you see the press conference? Or see how this story was the headline on nearly every news and sports site for the past 48 hours? Or how about the millions of dollars that walked out the door when sponsors started bailing.

See, you're saying that it's so easy for the NBA to have done something less -- but the facts are not on your side. It's fantasy to believe they could have done less and not gotten pummeled in the press for doing so. Have you been paying attention to the players' reactions? Do you know there is a playoff game tonight in Staples Center -- in Los Angeles -- home of the last large scale race riots in the country?

You're kidding yourself if you think they could have just ignored this or given it lip service.

3. I'm certain there is a bylaw that precludes owners or anyone associated with the NBA from damaging the brand. And there's no way you can look at the fallout from TMZ releasing those tapes and say there wasn't damage done to the brand. The rest is colored bubbles.

As for your top part, I'm the same guy. I'm sitting here smiling and posting. You're either just trying to argue to argue or not getting the point of what I'm saying.

Edited by GreggyT

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's not true at all. I'm not changing the conversation at all, I'm merely discussing the situation as it evolves. I've stated numerous times I don't condone anyone seizing his property because of his views -- but that was before the revelation that his conduct was indeed in violation of league bylaws he helped author. You're the one who is misconstruing this instance as punishment when it's not, at least not in the broad sense you're using it as.

How could the NBA have gotten around this? Anything less than this would have sparked even more outrage. Silver was besieged by sponsors threatening to pull out, he's responsible for protecting the brand and all 30 owners -- even from one of their own. You live in a fantasy world if you think this was going to blow over had Silver taken the track that the tapes are irrelevant because of the method they were distributed to the public.

Sterling and his camp are on record as requesting these recordings.

It's both.

Debunked? You're crazy, and incorrect. The arguments refined based on what the NBA did and how they couched their decision -- but that doesn't debunk the outcry over his comments, and numerous past lawsuits, are indeed because of the racism inherent in his comments.

I suppose you're right.

Quick question for you specifically, if you deign to answer. Are racist comments and offensive comments the same thing? Are they equitable at least? I'm of the opinion, and this is just me, that if Sterling made a 9/11 joke and it got released, he wouldn't be banned for life. He'd make a public apology and call it a a day. But really, what's really the difference between that and the racist comments? Both insensitive, both offend a group of people.

I know that's a hypothetical and obviously points can be made either way, but I'd like to hear what you have to say.

I suppose you're right.

Quick question for you specifically, if you deign to answer. Are racist comments and offensive comments the same thing? Are they equitable at least? I'm of the opinion, and this is just me, that if Sterling made a 9/11 joke and it got released, he wouldn't be banned for life. He'd make a public apology and call it a a day. But really, what's really the difference between that and the racist comments? Both insensitive, both offend a group of people.

I know that's a hypothetical and obviously points can be made either way, but I'd like to hear what you have to say.

The big difference is that the NBA is 70% black. An NBA owner espousing over an hour's worth of hateful (and in my opinion shameful) world views about African Americans is why the media latched onto this story -- it's too ironic and sensational for them not to. It has it all -- hypocrisy, racism, elitism, and sports.

An NBA owner saying something about 9/11 in the months after 9/11 would have elicited the same outcry (a guess, but a good one). An NBA owner doing the same today? Then Rob is right, the NBA could have issued a statement and been done with it, it would be doubtful that Sterling would have been forced out (though not impossible if it was on audio).

Context matters.

Edited by GreggyT

No because Silver banned him from all business decisions, including personnel, with regards to the Clippers.

But way to go, take the racist's side and try to find a way to get the black guy fired. Classy, Chan.

I'm not taking anyone's side or trying to get anyone fired, you dunce. I'm painting an analogy to the NBA trying to "fire" Sterling for damage control. How could you not get that?

What's the difference between the situations? Can you explain why Sterling should be gone while Doc shouldn't get fired after publicly denouncing his boss? Is it because you agree with one and disagree with the other?

I'm not taking anyone's side or trying to get anyone fired, you dunce. I'm painting an analogy to the NBA trying to "fire" Sterling for damage control. How could you not get that?

Fair. My bad.

What's the difference between the situations? Can you explain why Sterling should be gone while Doc shouldn't get fired after publicly denouncing his boss? Is it because you agree with one and disagree with the other?

There are many differences. Coaches criticize their owners all the time. It's sports.

So a coach publicly criticizing his owner isn't grounds for dismissal?

Never said that, it completely depends on what the criticism is and the temperament of the owner. Some owners have quicker trigger fingers than others, but I'm not sure what the point is you're trying to make?

He may be fired or resign at season's end, but no way Sterling would have fired him in the middle of a playoff series. And on what grounds? That he disagreed with Doc's reaction to his racist comments towards Doc's race? I absolutely respect how Doc Rivers handled the situation.

Floyd Mayweather Jr wants to purchase the clippers.

Yea that will happen. Will the internet tolerance police strip him of his team the next time he smacks around a woman or drops the N word 30 times in a two minute span ?

Edited by Ryan L Billz

Sterling owns the team, yes they've banned him from the NBA, but couldn't he just keep the team anyways? Obviously, he would loose loads of money in terms of the worth of the Clippers and wouldn't have a league to play the team in, but it would be a big f-you to the NBA.

As for your top part, I'm the same guy. I'm sitting here smiling and posting. You're either just trying to argue to argue or not getting the point of what I'm saying.

Dude, I know.. I also know you switched it up to hide from the humiliation of pussing out on that Crayonz **** talking showdown thing. B-)

Also, I'm not arguing to argue and I do get the point of what you're saying. I just like my point better.

You are the guy who said we should continue th war on drugs because it causes violence death and mayhem in Mexico as if that is a good thing and now you are defending a total racist. Ok!

Ok

And you're the guy who said that the Holocaust was a myth and compared it to the female orgasm while stating that you've never seen any evidence to support the existence of either. You went on to say that the death of 7 million people was likely made up by the American Dental Association to scare children into brushing their teeth. You disgust me!!!

Sterling owns the team, yes they've banned him from the NBA, but couldn't he just keep the team anyways? Obviously, he would loose loads of money in terms of the worth of the Clippers and wouldn't have a league to play the team in, but it would be a big f-you to the NBA.

I believe that the other owners can vote to have him removed from ownership.

Everybody in this story is a phony. Sterling is a racist moron and got his just desserts but this stinks from top to bottom. The league and the media knew all about this guy and did nothing for years. It was easy to sweep it under the rug when the Clippers were a crap team and 2nd banana to the Lakers in L.A. you couldn't find anyone to give a damn about this before. Because to do so then led to a potential embarrassment and loss of ad revenue. So they just ignored it and hoped it would go away.

Doc Rivers didn't have a problem accepting a 3 year $21 million contract last year. Chris Paul didn't seem to have a problem when he signed a 5 year deal worth approximately $107 million. The NAACP had no problem taking his money and was lined up to bestow its 2014 Humanitariam Award. His "girlfriend" Vanessa Stiviano had no problem exchanging her "favors" for cash, and reportedly 2 Bentleys and a Ferrari and money to purchase a $1.8 million duplex. In any other walk of life that would be called prostitution.

In March Sterling's wife filed a 2.5 million lawsuit against Stiviano claiming she received 2.5 million in gifts and they needed to be returned. Shortly after that these tapes come out. Coincidence?

Now with these tapes it has created a media feeding frenzy with all the typical faux outrage. Nobody had a problem taking Sterlings money and enriching themselves. But now it's not politically correct to be associated with him anymore everybody is engaged in CYA.

Edited by gumby

Dear Donald Sterling,

Thanks. Suddenly no one gives a sh-- if we tell our cheerleaders to change their tampons.

Sincerely,

The Buffalo Bills.

You don't think Cliven Bundy had a part in all of this? Right out of Obama's playbook. If you want to quiet a scandal, create another one.

You don't think Cliven Bundy had a part in all of this? Right out of Obama's playbook. If you want to quiet a scandal, create another one.

Yes. "Look at this shiny thing over hear everyone. " Forget we bailed out the banks with tax payer money. Forget that the number of americans receiving welfare or some other government benefit exceeds full time employed people by 60 million. Forget that 69% of the federal budget is spent on entitlements or welfare. Don't worry about the economy STILL slow. When did Barry recovery start? Never mind ACA destroying health care. Not to worry. Some plane at the bottom of the ocean or some old fossil dude that probably doesn't even know where he lives is recorded illegally is much more relevant. Much more important to the daily lives of all the drones pissed off about it posting within this thread. You all should be more concerned about freedom of speech than whatever drivel this guy was on about. Anyway, next week it will be some other shiny thing that CNN and the msm market to get everyones panties bunched up. Edited by Dante

I suspect the global media outrage will be equally as bad for Marie Burke whenone every finds out what the Democratic council woman and mayoral candidate said about her town becoming a "phucking n------r town."

Outrage to begin in 3...2...1...

Wait. What? No outrage?

A candidate for Mayor of a small New Jersey town was caught on tape allegedly spewing a racist rant in which she said she didn’t want her village to become a “f------ n----- town.”

Marie Strumolo Burke, who is running for mayor in Belleville, N.J. as a Democrat, was reportedly heard making the vitriolic comments on a voicemail from 2013, according to NJ.com.

In the voicemail, left by the former chairman of Belleville’s planning board, Sam Papa, on the phone of Councilman Kevin Kennedy, a voice thought to be Burke’s can be heard in the background screaming the angry racist comment.

“This is terrible. This is terrible. This is gonna be a f------ n----- town,” Burke is allegedly heard yelling in the background, as Papa is heard discussing tax changes.

This statement from an organization (NAACP) that was about to give him an humanitarian award. Priceless.

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2014/04/30/naacp-sterlings-suspension-isnt-enough-want-to-meet-with-silver/

The National Urban League, the National Action Network, the NAACP and the National Coalition on Black Civic Participation issued a joint statement cheering Silver’s announcement that he banned Sterling for life and that the league would attempt to force him to sell the Clippers.

That decision, the statement said, was “a bold, courageous and resolute message that the views expressed by Sterling do not represent the National Basketball Association as an organization today or the kind of organization that it seeks to be in the future.”

But Sterling’s suspension isn’t enough, the groups said, calling for Silver to meet with them to ensure Sterling “remains an anomaly among the owners and executives in the league.”

“Sterling’s long-established pattern of bigotry and racist comments have not been a secret in the NBA,” the statement said. “Yet until now, they have been tolerated and met with a gentle hand and a blind eye.”

I suspect the global media outrage will be equally as bad for Marie Burke whenone every finds out what the Democratic council woman and mayoral candidate said about her town becoming a "phucking n------r town."

Outrage to begin in 3...2...1...

Wait. What? No outrage?

Don't hold your breath. It's really not about racism, it's about who is saying it. Who was the bball player that said he hated white people? I don't pay attention to bball so I'm not sure. I just wonder if he got banned from anything to do with basketball. Can't remember this kind of outrage though. Also, when racism turns physical and causes real harm no one seems to care unless it's a person of color on the receiving end as I noted earlier in the thread. That's racist on it's own isn't it?