Jerry Sullivan 25th anniversary column in today's Buffalo News

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jerry is the master of the stealth CYA move. Read any if his columns on local teams, especially if it's a positive article. He always manages to sneak in a sentence that goes against what he is writing just so he can come back and say he called it if things go the other way.

e.g.

"I'm in favor of giving X a new contract even though it's likely he'll never earn it."

Edited by PromoTheRobot

He's a disturbed individual. He has a job most people would be honored to do and he couldn't be more miserable. I had a drink with him one time many years ago at the Wellington pub he could not have been a morE condescending curmudgeon.

Some people don't like him because he's not a home town cheerleader. I find his honest and objective commentary refreshing in a world where broadcasters are afraid to offend the leagues that they're in bed with.

Actually Sullivan isn't in bed with the league/team. His bull **** makes it harder for the guys that actually are. The beat writers for the Bills at the BN get !@#$ed over because of his ****. The columnists with bad attitude will hurt the beat writers everytime.

Some people don't like him because he's not a home town cheerleader. I find his honest and objective commentary refreshing in a world where broadcasters are afraid to offend the leagues that they're in bed with.

He's not honest. He's a pot stirrer. He likes to fan flames. He also contradicts himself, saying one thing one week and the opposite a few months later. But what he does do is offer a catharsis to frustrated fans, giving voice to their rage. And that's fine. He certainly built a 25+ year career doing that. But to me that isn't journalism.

I'm really surprised that some people find Jerry honest. According to that paradigm, many of us don't like him because we're Buffalo cheerleaders and we don't appreciate his frankness.

I'm okay with brutally honest journalism. But oft times Jerry says stuff that's so negative and unreasonable that you just know he's doing it to stir the pot. While some of his articles are well-reasoned and well-written, I think more often than not he's a whining, Negative Nancy. And the thing is, I'm pretty forgiving of most folks' foibles and actually like virtually all sports writers. Jerry and Skip Bayless are the two exceptions. They're both cut from the same mold.

Could not agree more; I find his analysis quite honest and refreshing. After reading the kool aid posts on this board, Sully is definitely needed to bring reality back.

I'll write the headline for Jerry's column on the Monday following The Bills first Superbowl Victory:

"The __________s Lose the SuperBowl in a Heartbreaker to the Bills"

Then he'll go on to pontificate on how if not for bad luck and officiating, the other team would have stomped all over The Bills who simply don't deserve to be world champions and shouldn't have even been in the game to begin with.