Jerry Sullivan 25th anniversary column in today's Buffalo News

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what Sully said was these guys suck but pay them anyway so I can rip the Bills for paying crappy players later?

He said that the Bills should stop paying on the cheap and pay whoever is their starting QB and WR the going NFL rate. It was a comment on Bills management. His views on Fitz and SJ being qualified for those positions were a comment on their abilities, and questioning the Bills management on their roster choices. Why can't you see the difference?

He said that the Bills should stop paying on the cheap and pay whoever is their starting QB and WR the going NFL rate. It was a comment on Bills management. His views on Fitz and SJ being qualified for those positions were a comment on their abilities, and questioning the Bills management on their roster choices. Why can't you see the difference?

No. If they aren't any good why should Sully be concerned over what they got paid? He's just always looking where to stick in the knife.

Promo, I once posted that I thought Rob Johnson would be a great quarterback. Then, I changed my mind.

Once you posted that Alex Van Pelt should start for the Bills. Do you still think this?

What is the big freaking deal?

I lost the little remaining respect for him when he called Mario Williams a loser before last season. There should never be a situation when a guy like Jerry Sullivan can call a person like Mario Williams a loser.

This is the big deal. Everyone can change their mind. But you can't act like you never said something. You can't attack someone for something you agreed with earlier without acknowledging that you made the same mistake.

I like Jerry a bit more since I've started following him on Twitter. I think his editorials are his job, and he isn't swayed by trying to please everyone. His tweets reflect a guy who really does seem to be a sports fan. Do I think he goes a little too far with negative viewpoints at times? Sure, but even the most optimistic Buffalo fan has to admit there hasn't been much to be happy about. I don't envy his job; it has to be difficult to cover a franchise like the Bills over the past 14 years without being overly negative. In recent years I think he's actually tried to find nuggets of positivity; I'm willing to bet he would LIKE to see the Bills turn it around.

Congrats on 25.

I don't know Jerry personally and he might walk old ladies across the street and donate half his pay to charity.

But after reading some of his columns, I'd expect him to be like this:

* If you took him out to dinner at the Buffalo Chop House, he's nitpick the meal and tell you it's too bad Buffalo doesn't have a real steakhouse like Ruth Chris.

* If you took him to Delaware park on a beautiful summer day, he'd comment on what a shame it was that Buffalo ruined Olmstead's vision over the years.

* If you took him to a live Les Miserables show downtown, he'd find flaws with the performers and tell you the original London cast was better.

* Even if you took him up to TO to see the National Ballet of Canada, he'd tell you why they aren't as good as the Kirov.

In Jerry's world, every silver lining has a dark cloud. And I think his 'negative contrarianism' is journalistic gimmick. He goes against the flow and pours down rain on a sunny day just to be provocative.

I'm okay with PR cheerleaders like Chris Brown. I enjoy balanced reporters like - nationally - Peter King or - locally - our own late Larry Felser. I don't enjoy Negative Nancies like Jerry and that's why I don't read anything with his byline anymore.

I don't know Jerry personally and he might walk old ladies across the street and donate half his pay to charity.

But after reading some of his columns, I'd expect him to be like this:

* If you took him out to dinner at the Buffalo Chop House, he's nitpick the meal and tell you it's too bad Buffalo doesn't have a real steakhouse like Ruth Chris.

* If you took him to Delaware park on a beautiful summer day, he'd comment on what a shame it was that Buffalo ruined Olmstead's vision over the years.

* If you took him to a live Les Miserables show downtown, he'd find flaws with the performers and tell you the original London cast was better.

* Even if you took him up to TO to see the National Ballet of Canada, he'd tell you why they aren't as good as the Kirov.

In Jerry's world, every silver lining has a dark cloud. And I think his 'negative contrarianism' is journalistic gimmick. He goes against the flow and pours down rain on a sunny day just to be provocative.

I'm okay with PR cheerleaders like Chris Brown. I enjoy balanced reporters like - nationally - Peter King or - locally - our own late Larry Felser. I don't enjoy Negative Nancies like Jerry and that's why I don't read anything with his byline anymore.

:w00t:

Jerry Sullivan as a youngster: milhouse.gif

I don't read his stuff any more. He got past the point of being objective, and was always finding a negative angle. So I stopped reading his columns, and my Bills fandom is better for it.

When I read Sully's columns (After his oddly self-referential exploration into golf and middle-age I check him out occasionally merely to check whether he continues to be a legend in his own mind) I am usually reminded of the scene from an Adam Sandler film. The idiot in charge of this scene states a wonderfully truthful comment in saying after one diatribe that we are all stupider from having listened to one rant.

I find Sully to be such a failed commentator because so often his perspectives seem to add so little to the debate. In fact, his views often strike me as being so motivated by his own often pathetic and usally transparent attempts to leave him room to Cover his own butt that basically all readers are left stupider by considering his perspectives.

Sully's comments almost always seemed directed by me by his own feeble attempts to leave him an out to justify any stances he takes if reality proves him wrong.

Particularly since the Bills have produced consistent non-playoff results, by consistently saying he was so bright he had predicted a losing record he comes off as always having been negative.

Sully is simply a consistent bad and negative read if he in fact has always been correct in his predictions.

I like Jerry a bit more since I've started following him on Twitter. I think his editorials are his job, and he isn't swayed by trying to please everyone. His tweets reflect a guy who really does seem to be a sports fan. Do I think he goes a little too far with negative viewpoints at times? Sure, but even the most optimistic Buffalo fan has to admit there hasn't been much to be happy about. I don't envy his job; it has to be difficult to cover a franchise like the Bills over the past 14 years without being overly negative. In recent years I think he's actually tried to find nuggets of positivity; I'm willing to bet he would LIKE to see the Bills turn it around.

Congrats on 25.

If he doesn't do this -- I'm not sure one way or another -- then he's being dishonest. Thanks for the example. But someone who doesn't change his mind on something as fluid and unpredictable as sports is thick headed. He should change his mind.

There's a giant difference between "changing your mind"....

...and pretending you have no long-term memory.

Nobody who speaks publicly for a living, gets to change their mind in private.

Buffalo is extremely fortunate to have a columnist of Jerry Sullivan's caliber.

[drivel...that comes from the personal knoledge of someone, who by definition can only know these things...via a personal relationship with Jerry]

You know? I thought the slaughter that ensued, when the WGR surrogate turds defending Mike Schopp showed up here, would have provided the necessary lesson for others.

14 whole posts since 2004? Really. You really thought that was going to slide by? :lol: Jeez, we are all privileged to hear from you, as this is such a rare event. :lol: I wonder if there is a correlation between your 1.4 posts/year, and whenever somebody really lays into Sullivan?

If Jerry wants to post here, he can take a lesson from wawrow, who doesn't need to use his real name, but, he does anyway. Sending turds out to do it for him is just lame.

Great post!

Oh and right on cue? Somebody with 106 posts since 2006. :lol:

Nice try Jerry. Pretending to be someone else. We see right through you.

Look: even the rookie saw you guys straight!

EDIT: yeah, and it does follow a pattern, and yeah, I do pay attention to it.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

You know? I thought the slaughter that ensued, when the WGR surrogate turds defending Mike Schopp showed up here, would have provided the necessary lesson for others.

When was this? I'd be interested in reading that.

When was this? I'd be interested in reading that.

May 2009. I still have all the PMs. It started when they started talking about the "mic" and what Schopp does when not on it. I asked: "what mic? and how would you know what occurs "off" mic?" Hilarity ensured.

It's like above: how would any random poster here know what Jerry Sullivan does in his free time? Why would any of us care? Is this what we dicuss here? It's not that we don't revel in minute details. For example: We may know that Ralph owned a blue Ford Taurus, but, that isn't the same, is it? :lol:

So, once again, the surrogate is responsible for exposing themselves as such.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

May 2009. I still have all the PMs. It started when they started talking about the "mic" and what Schopp does when not on it. I asked: "what mic? and how would you know what occurs "off" mic?" Hilarity ensured.

It's like above: how would any random poster here know what Jerry Sullivan does in his free time? Why would any of us care? Is this what we dicuss here? It's not that we don't revel in minute details. For example: We may know that Ralph owned a blue Ford Taurus, but, that isn't the same, is it? :lol:

So, once again, the surrogate is responsible for exposing themselves as such.

I wish I had seen that!

14 whole posts since 2004? Really. You really thought that was going to slide by? :lol: Jeez, we are all privileged to hear from you, as this is such a rare event. :lol: I wonder if there is a correlation between your 1.4 posts/year, and whenever somebody really lays into Sullivan?

If Jerry wants to post here, he can take a lesson from wawrow, who doesn't need to use his real name, but, he does anyway. Sending turds out to do it for him is just lame.

He's not Jerry, he's a columnist at a different paper (not in this area), who happens to be from Buffalo.

I had an email exchange with him a while ago about column where he clobbered the Bills for drafting a bust like Mike WIlliams. I pointed out that he wrote a column immediately after that draft praising Donahoe for making the "no-brainer" pick. He responded (in a huff) that he reserves the right to alter his opinion as he sees fit.

So basically he admitted that he doesn't really stand by his writings. That if he says one thing, he reserves the right to say the exact opposite later "as he sees fit." THAT is my issue with Sully. Own your words. Don't pretend you never wrote something when you did.

This. There's no honesty - no "I thought he was the no-brainer pick, I was wrong" "I thought extending Fitz was a good move, I was wrong" etc. He reserves the right to "change face" at any time without any acknowledgement that's what he's doing.

Promo, I once posted that I thought Rob Johnson would be a great quarterback. Then, I changed my mind.

Once you posted that Alex Van Pelt should start for the Bills. Do you still think this?

What is the big freaking deal?

Changing your mind is no big deal. The big deal is if you do so without acknowledging that's what you're doing, especially if you present yourself as wiser than those who are charged with making the actual sports decisions. IOW, Bill, you liked Rob Johnson, then you acknowledged you were mistaken. I liked Fitz and thought he might grow into a decent QB here, then I acknowledged I was mistaken. If I came around and dissed Fitz and ripped the Bills for extending him and acted like I never thought differently, that would be dishonest. If you ripped the Bills for acquiring Johnson and never acknowledged you once thought it was a promising trade, likewise.

Sullivan's style and writing habits have earned him an enduring job, obviously, but it's not honest, it's not objective, and I personally don't like it or respect him for it.

There's a giant difference between "changing your mind"....

...and pretending you have no long-term memory.

Nobody who speaks publicly for a living, gets to change their mind in private.

As a St Louisan, just want to say how much I like your avatar. We are enjoying the fruits of that trade!

I'm not sure I agree about the "change their mind in private"....you CAN change your mind in private if you keep it private, but not if you're publically excoriating others for the actions or viewpoint you once endorsed. That may be what you meant?

Wawrow earns and deserves the respect he has.

Congrats on 25.

I think one of the reasons many people view Sully as being so negative is that his predecessor, Larry Felser, who never endured a playoff drought this long but did cover some Bills teams that were much, much worse than the Bills teams of the past 14 years. And he did so without coming across as whiny, negative, or taking cheap shots.

Edited by Campy

He's not Jerry, he's a columnist at a different paper (not in this area), who happens to be from Buffalo.

Which means.....he's a Sullivan surrogate. :lol:

A Sullivan surrogate, who is not arguing the effectiveness of Sullivan objectively, but rather "sticking up for his friend". :rolleyes: Sticking up for your friend is admirable. However, it should be done on twitter/facebook, as it is not appropriate here.

This thread is about whether or not we should be pleased with 25 years of Sullivan's work, or, at least that's what it turned into.

I don't see how his buddy coming here and telling us crap that doesn't have anything to do with whether or not Sullivan changes his opinions like the wind, such that he is never "wrong", and whether that behavior causes problems for the fan base, in terms of our infecting our "current thinking" with nonsense, has any value.

How many wasted threads have been started via the Sullivan "infection"? How many Sullivan memes(Ralph is Cheap) do we need to endure?