Who believes in Manuel?

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously.....

If Im not mistaken that drill is used to get him to open up his stance

Notice his head, shoulders, and arms during the entire drill. Eyes straight down field, arm ready to be cocked, no wasted movement. The drill is designed to train his ability to slide around in the pocket, looking for a clear lane, WITHOUT taking his eyes off his targets, and then being ready to set quickly and rip it.

GO BILLS!!!

Well worth reading, especially vis a vis the Bills' commitment to Manuel:

http://mmqb.si.com/2...terback-advice/

Sorry, I didn't read past "Mike Holmgren." Good coach, cashed checks from the Browns with a ski mask on as someone in charge of personnel decisions.

So i should take that to mean that Jamies Winston will suck in the NFL?

I believe he said it means nothing. Could go either way. Not that it is an indirect correlation.

It was a joke.

Same.

I had a feeling...my comment was intended to be taken tongue-in-cheek

Notice his head, shoulders, and arms during the entire drill. Eyes straight down field, arm ready to be cocked, no wasted movement. The drill is designed to train his ability to slide around in the pocket, looking for a clear lane, WITHOUT taking his eyes off his targets, and then being ready to set quickly and rip it.

GO BILLS!!!

What I like about the clip is that he appears to not only keep his upper body locked in place (you know, the "coiled viper" principle that QB coaches teach), but also manages to stay loose with his upper body so that he can properly transfer his energy into motion (the "strike").

Let's hope this is the onset of a welcomed improvement in mechanics.

Well worth reading, especially vis a vis the Bills' commitment to Manuel:

http://mmqb.si.com/2...terback-advice/

Very good article and spot on with my perception of the situation. You might not know what you have after 1 or 2 years, but you will know after 3. Same reason I don't think there's a chance that this is the make or break year for EJ. I hope it's a "make" year none the less.

Who is the master of the coiled viper ? Is it Russell Wilson? Brees and Romo have a solid coiled viper technique in them.

Aaron Rodgers has a black belt.

Yes.

Brees came to mind first. I have seen this from Luck too.

Also yes.

Luck and Rogers

Luck's coiled viper is so awesome, I've seen him 3/4's tackled, and still can deliver an accurate strike. Damn Colts.

I was at the Colts-GB game in 2012 where the Colts came from behind to win. He is one of the more exciting QBs to watch because he isn't always the most perfect stats wise but man, he can make the play when it counts. He is a gamer. He makes plays that while they're happening you are cringing like -nooooo don't do that - and then... TD. lol.

The interesting part of that?

I have no idea why I remember this but EJ was in that exact same stance (in the opposite direction in the game) where he set up like that and delivered a STRIKE down the middle of the field .....it was a perfect throw

Seems like the 2 to Chandler & Woods were in the same direction, I remember those. Remember what game?

It's a fine line between optimism, and denial.

Therefore, it must also be a fine line between pessimism, and denial.

I know a certain person, who declared himself for Marty Biron years ago, and, after Ryan Miller was named the starter, clearly proved he was better, won the damn vezina, and even today, even after Miller's very real value, even as a rental, was displayed in no uncertain terms via the trade....

....still insists that Ryan Miller is a horrible goalie. Would you call that denial, or "being realistic", or pessimism? I would call it something else, but the filter here would render my use of composite swear words utterly pointless.

Also, I reject the premise of this thread. Asking me if I believe in something, when I can easily get the data that confirms/disconfirms it, and thus know, it instead, is silly.

Especially when all that is required to get that data is having some patience, and waiting for the games to be played. Why do I need to believe in EJ? He's going to get himself together, or he isn't. Nobody in the world knows that, yet. When we know, we will know.

This is like asking me how I feel about something, rather than what I think about it. The latter is useful, the former is a waste.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

Thanks for the link...I have to think that Marrone is following that idea of standing behind your QB, for better or worse. That said, it wouldn't be a bad idea to nab a backup plan in rounds 4-6.

Why ? Honest question. Next year Bills might have to make the first pick a QB. Might have to trade up even.

We have a project in Tuel and Thad (imo) still .

This year i suggest we fill every potential gap upcoming in the next two years with depth. Excepting QB. Thats beter use of a very low percentage pick at QB to succeed Manuel. and that who the next QB should be. If you get my drift.

I would rather use fourth and later for a RB or a DT OG .

My Mom used to put two buck on the same horse to win place and show. That still makes me smile. She would bet bithdates even

But for me , i take the whole six bucks and go for the win . Not insurance .

She broke even usually . Surprisingly !

I hope you get my point Bandit27.

Dont draft any more maybes. Do or die for Manuel and next year decide. ifhe gets a NAY vote next year from Marrone. Go all in for QB in 2015

You do?

Collins

Losman

Edwards

As Holmgren mentioned...picks like those are coach killers.

They are. its true. Just like Mike mentioned . But the lack of time to develop players to the NFL speed etc is just not fair anymore .

It was a joke.

Same.

in that case your humor is obllque as mine is opaque.

By the way Starry messenger good post.

I think he can develop good mechanics , because , i think he has the wherewithal to accomplish just that.

Loved the link to the drill pic !!

FireChan is a funny f'er sometimes i have been noticing :devil:

Edited by 3rdand12

You do?

Collins

Losman

Edwards

As Holmgren mentioned...picks like those are coach killers.

Feel free to toss Ponder, Gabbert, Locker on the pile too.

Why ? Honest question. Next year Bills might have to make the first pick a QB. Might have to trade up even.

We have a project in Tuel and Thad (imo) still .

This year i suggest we fill every potential gap upcoming in the next two years with depth. Excepting QB. Thats beter use of a very low percentage pick at QB to succeed Manuel. and that who the next QB should be. If you get my drift.

I would rather use fourth and later for a RB or a DT OG .

My Mom used to put two buck on the same horse to win place and show. That still makes me smile. She would bet bithdates even

But for me , i take the whole six bucks and go for the win . Not insurance .

She broke even usually . Surprisingly !

I hope you get my point Bandit27.

Dont draft any more maybes. Do or die for Manuel and next year decide. ifhe gets a NAY vote next year from Marrone. Go all in for QB in 2015

They are. its true. Just like Mike mentioned . But the lack of time to develop players to the NFL speed etc is just not fair anymore .

in that case your humor is obllque as mine is opaque.

By the way Starry messenger good post.

I think he can develop good mechanics , because , i think he has the wherewithal to accomplish just that.

Loved the link to the drill pic !!

FireChan is a funny f'er sometimes i have been noticing :devil:

It's a gift.

Feel free to toss Ponder, Gabbert, Locker on the pile too.

It's a gift.

Truly , it is FC

: )

I enjoy your posts

I know a certain person, who declared himself for Marty Biron years ago, and, after Ryan Miller was named the starter, clearly proved he was better, won the damn vezina, and even today, even after Miller's very real value, even as a rental, was displayed in no uncertain terms via the trade....

....still insists that Ryan Miller is a horrible goalie. Would you call that denial, or "being realistic", or pessimism? I would call it something else, but the filter here would render my use of composite swear words utterly pointless.

Also, I reject the premise of this thread. Asking me if I believe in something, when I can easily get the data that confirms/disconfirms it, and thus know, it instead, is silly.

Especially when all that is required to get that data is having some patience, and waiting for the games to be played. Why do I need to believe in EJ? He's going to get himself together, or he isn't. Nobody in the world knows that, yet. When we know, we will know.

This is like asking me how I feel about something, rather than what I think about it. The latter is useful, the former is a waste.

Not religous then ?

If Johnny football drops grab him, QB is that important, if you look at it this way by trading down to get EJ last year we in a since got him for free (Kiko would have been a great first round pick and Robert Wood was a great second round pick), with the rookie cap EJ is not a big cap hit either so lets not watch Manziel light it up for the next ten years and wonder why we didn't take him.

Johnny football = Tim Tebow = ex-QB

Only OC could stretch an "I don't know" into a post this long.

Only thing they have in common is the media likes to talk about them. Otherwise they are polar opposites in pretty much every other measurable.

I agree. Tebow is a fake piece of **** and Manziel is a genuine piece of ****.

How is Tebow a POS?

Please don't start this argument. I'm begging you.

EJ sucks! Cut Stevie! Trade Spiller for a conditional 7th! Trade up to get to Johnny Football! Cut Dareus! Kyle sucks against the run! Gilmore is a has been! This franchise sucks for losing Byrd! I remember Jason Peters! Maybin?

Wanna talk about any of those topics instead?

Please don't start this argument. I'm begging you.

EJ sucks! Cut Stevie! Trade Spiller for a conditional 7th! Trade up to get to Johnny Football! Cut Dareus! Kyle sucks against the run! Gilmore is a has been! This franchise sucks for losing Byrd! I remember Jason Peters! Maybin?

Wanna talk about any of those topics instead?

I think gug is way off on almost everything but this would take the #1 spot on the list, I need to know.

I definitely see what the Bills saw in him. Enough potential to draft in round one. He showed flashes of how good he can be, but also got hurt a lot and made some rookie mistakes. This year it's do or die time. Either a breakout season or it's back to square one at QB.

I like Holmgren as a Coach and think he's was great at his trade and proved he could win with two very different types of teams, Packers and Seahawks, but his reasoning is a bit antiquated in the contemporary NFL and that may have been why he struggled in Cleveland to find that "Franchise QB".....as I said earlier in the thread, I'm all in on Manuel THIS year like Whaley, Marrone and Hackett...BUT, and this is a huge A*S, if Manuel struggles to demonstrate convincingly in any manner, i.e. injury issues or poor play, next year it is a Franchise QB or bust type of Draft...the reason being this team is primed to make a good run at the playoffs and with this year's Draft, I believe the BILLS will be in good position to begin to really push for being a team to be reckoned with...and QB is the final piece of that puzzle...Manuel either puts up or shuts up THIS year...will he do it?? I have no freakin' clue, and that's what's frustrating...don't know if I should be excited for what Manuel will do this next year or hold my breath that the BILLS' Offense will be miserable with him at the helm and the BILLS be on the clock for a QB....if not Manuel, next year they should do everything in their power to get that Face of the Franchise QB and then hunker down and ride it out....

I like Holmgren as a Coach and think he's was great at his trade and proved he could win with two very different types of teams, Packers and Seahawks, but his reasoning is a bit antiquated in the contemporary NFL and that may have been why he struggled in Cleveland to find that "Franchise QB".....as I said earlier in the thread, I'm all in on Manuel THIS year like Whaley, Marrone and Hackett...BUT, and this is a huge A*S, if Manuel struggles to demonstrate convincingly in any manner, i.e. injury issues or poor play, next year it is a Franchise QB or bust type of Draft...the reason being this team is primed to make a good run at the playoffs and with this year's Draft, I believe the BILLS will be in good position to begin to really push for being a team to be reckoned with...and QB is the final piece of that puzzle...Manuel either puts up or shuts up THIS year...will he do it?? I have no freakin' clue, and that's what's frustrating...don't know if I should be excited for what Manuel will do this next year or hold my breath that the BILLS' Offense will be miserable with him at the helm and the BILLS be on the clock for a QB....if not Manuel, next year they should do everything in their power to get that Face of the Franchise QB and then hunker down and ride it out....

He drafted a 29-year-old QB in the 1st round and traded up to 3 for an RB. I agree, he sucked. That's what Cleveland got for 10 mill/yr.

He drafted a 29-year-old QB in the 1st round and traded up to 3 for an RB. I agree, he sucked. That's what Cleveland got for 10 mill/yr.

Yeah, many times (Levy anyone) great coaches don't make great FO men....and great FO men, don't make great coaches...they're entirely a different skill set and the nuances of such are very different...I think of Darcy and the Sabres, he could scout talent, but making business decisions and when to call up prospects and how to manage a roster...woof! IMHO anyways...

I'm cautiously in agreement with your assessment of the team and also fear more crappy play from the QB position will derail yet another season. What tempers my enthusiasm though, is that every team improves their roster every year. We've just come from so far back it's still difficult for me to gage just how well we truely measure up against the very good teams.

Regarding EJ, should he fail to give reason to believe, I hope the FO moves faster to correct it than drafting another college project -and trade half next years' draft away for a proven QB like Rivers, Eli, Big Ben, Matty Ice, etc. This is mainly why I'm as adamant to get another QB in now as rosters change quickly these days and I don't want to see this era of what I think is a quality cast continue in mediocre pergatory..

Yeah, many times (Levy anyone) great coaches don't make great FO men....and great FO men, don't make great coaches...they're entirely a different skill set and the nuances of such are very different...I think of Darcy and the Sabres, he could scout talent, but making business decisions and when to call up prospects and how to manage a roster...woof! IMHO anyways...

Oh - and of course, neither of those picks are still with the Browns. And they were drafted 2 years ago! One guy who seems to be able to do both well though - Pete Carroll.

I'm cautiously in agreement with your assessment of the team and also fear more crappy play from the QB position will derail yet another season. What tempers my enthusiasm though, is that every team improves their roster every year. We've just come from so far back it's still difficult for me to gage just how well we truely measure up against the very good teams.

Regarding EJ, should he fail to give reason to believe, I hope the FO moves faster to correct it than drafting another college project -and trade half next years' draft away for a proven QB like Rivers, Eli, Big Ben, Matty Ice, etc. This is mainly why I'm as adamant to get another QB in now as rosters change quickly these days and I don't want to see this era of what I think is a quality cast continue in mediocre pergatory..

I would have been lauged off this board, but the QB I was really hoping would make it to FA so the BILLS could sign him as a quality back-up was Henne...I think the kid has performed very well given the abysmal situations he's been in on the Fins and Jags...and from someone who's had WRs in his FF team with Henne at the helm compared to the QBs he took over for, his WRs performed much better, consistently...I'm not saying Henne is the long-term answer or to replace EJ with Henne, but if EJ has another injury, to me, Henne would have been a great guy to plug in and the BILLS could have played well on Offense and he has been relegated to the back-up role for a few years so he wouldn't have pushed for a starting opportunity and just been ready to compete if called upon...and considering he's sitting in Jax, I don't think it would have been too difficult to bring him to Buffalo...but, he probably sees the "hope" of starting in Jax and wanted to stay...oh well, time will tell....

Oh - and of course, neither of those picks are still with the Browns. And they were drafted 2 years ago! One guy who seems to be able to do both well though - Pete Carroll.

And there's no taking anything away from what Pete Carroll has done, it really is remarkable...but, this will be the first year that the players coming into the Draft he will not have had a true first hand knowledge of from scouting and recruiting to get to USC to evaluating his college opponents...last year, was his last year of having the luxury of inside information and knowledge of many of the college players declaring for the Draft and having his own notes and recollections of some of those players since he was recruiting some of them for USC and then preparing to face some of them in college games...given they were probably freshman, but information still....and Pete was a great recruitor and evaluator of high school talent....this year, the NFL gets a chance to see if he can continue that success.....

I definitely see what the Bills saw in him. Enough potential to draft in round one. He showed flashes of how good he can be, but also got hurt a lot and made some rookie mistakes. This year it's do or die time. Either a breakout season or it's back to square one at QB.

This is exactly right. If EJ bombs this year(I dont think he will if they get him more help) then trade your entire draft next year. QB looking much stronger in next years draft. Every QB in this draft has at least one major flaw. No Andrew Luck in this years draft. Given the number of other holes we have and the depth in this draft at some of our key needs (Tackle, Guard, WR) and the mediocre QB class (just because 5 or 6 guys are getting pushed up into round one as oppossed to the usual 2 or 3 doesnt make it a great QB class) this is not the year to trade up.

I believe In EJ. For a rookie, I liked what little i saw of him last year. I think he will progress this season as the game slows down for him.

It was fun watching the Bills games last season. There was not one game where i turned the TV off at half time to go out and beat the dog. (JK about beating the dog) This year, i think the team turns the corner and is fighting for a playoff spot on the last game of the season.

GO BILLS!!!