Game of Thrones Part Deax: The Readers Thread

Kevin

She does indeed get burned by Drogon in the fighting pit scene in the books.

I just re-read the scene from where she jumps in the pit, to her riding off on Drogon (about one page, #764). There is no indication she gets burned. She is much more concerned with the sand in her eyes than the heat.

A couple references sound like they support Danny being immune, or at least much more tolerant of heat.

"Drogon roared.The sound filled the pit. A furnace wind engulfed her. The dragon's long scaled neck stretched toward her. When his mouth opened, she could see bits of broken bone and charred flesh between his black teeth."

Burning, is not on the page, though she mentions being afraid he will burn her and eat her. I took this more as concern about the eating, the burning just the process he always uses to prepare his meal.

Drogon roared full in her face, his breath hot enough to blister skin

(though there is no indication at all that her skin actually blistered.)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just re-read the scene from where she jumps in the pit, to her riding off on Drogon (about one page, #764). There is no indication she gets burned. She is much more concerned with the sand in her eyes than the heat.

A couple references sound like they support Danny being immune, or at least much more tolerant of heat.

Burning, is not on the page, though she mentions being afraid he will burn her and eat her. I took this more as concern about the eating, the burning just the process he always uses to prepare his meal.

(though there is no indication at all that her skin actually blistered.)

It's actually mentioned in a later chapter I think; her POV talks about her palms being pink/tender and puss leaking from them.

Nah. She already has the entire plot working for her.

The less "magic" surrounding her, the better.

Going into Drogo's pyre and coming out unscathed suggested she was immune to fire.

Going into Drogo's pyre and coming out unscathed suggested she was immune to fire.

Martin has strongly implied that she was able to escape unscathed because of the special circumstances, be it from the burning of the dragon eggs, the vision beforehand, or the sacrificing of Mirri Maz Duur to the flames

Easily. The Many-Faced God demands a face. But the Many-Faced God doesn't specify which face. And the Faceless Twit is coming to take Arya's face. So Arya goes to a dark corner with Needle and a candle.

And blows out the candle.

And waits in the dark for the Faceless Twit.

Who taught Arya how to fight blindfolded.

Nicely done.

The part about how the other girl actually tought her how to fight without vision is going to end up being the other girls demise

It's actually mentioned in a later chapter I think; her POV talks about her palms being pink/tender and puss leaking from them.

I don't read it that way, or at least it is ambiguous.

Daenerys only has one chapter after the fighting pit escape, the last one in 5th book. At the very start it mentions she was climbing down a rocky cliff all day and the rocks had scraped her hands raw. After talking about her blisters (apparently from the climbing) she says "but her burns were healing." At most, I read this as yes, she can burn (from actual dragon fire or blood?), but she heals very quickly.

Three pages later she remembers the birth of her dragons and her later flight saying "The fire burned away my hair, but elsewise it did not touch me. It had been the same in Daznak's pit," the big fighting pit in Mureen.

And btw - I am not trying to be argumentative; I am just trying to see what the books say. I haven't seen a reference that cites anything other than a GRRM Q&A tht says Danny isn't innoculated against firr.

I don't read it that way, or at least it is ambiguous.

Daenerys only has one chapter after the fighting pit escape, the last one in 5th book. At the very start it mentions she was climbing down a rocky cliff all day and the rocks had scraped her hands raw. After talking about her blisters (apparently from the climbing) she says "but her burns were healing." At most, I read this as yes, she can burn (from actual dragon fire or blood?), but she heals very quickly.

Three pages later she remembers the birth of her dragons and her later flight saying "The fire burned away my hair, but elsewise it did not touch me. It had been the same in Daznak's pit," the big fighting pit in Mureen.

And btw - I am not trying to be argumentative; I am just trying to see what the books say. I haven't seen a reference that cites anything other than a GRRM Q&A tht says Danny isn't innoculated against firr.

I certainly am not taking it as being argumentative, and I appreciate you looking it up, as I don't have my books with me at the moment.

I guess I took for granted that the "burns were healing" was a references to the hands. Either way, I think you're right that the indication is clear regarding her being able to burn.

I certainly am not taking it as being argumentative, and I appreciate you looking it up, as I don't have my books with me at the moment.

I guess I took for granted that the "burns were healing" was a references to the hands. Either way, I think you're right that the indication is clear regarding her being able to burn.

Then again, if dragon fire gives her burns that warrant the same or less mention than blisters from climbing down a rocky cliff, the conclusion I reach is that her spending 5-10 minutes in a burning Dothraki hut is consistent with her other fire resistance. (Does she also not need oxygen? :thumbsup:) I don't think "she burned in the books, so that couldn't happen" is reasonable from what I have been able to find (and ignoring GRRM's comments in that Q&A session).

Umm, guys, it's fantasy. Just sayin'...

Fantasy, and all good writing requires the willful suspension of disbelief. A central requirement for that (for me anyway) is internal consistency.

I enjoyed chasing down the leads on the criticism that said the books say Dany isn't fireproof, snd that the show was out of line. Because I have read the books, watched the show, and didn't think so myself, and still don't.

If you don't care about this point, then yeah, I get it, this back and forth is pretty boring.

What do you think about GRRM slowly sliding into deeper and deeper fantasy? The first season (minus the opening white walker scenes) was largely realistic, what you might have expected to see in England a thousand years ago. Now the GOT world is full of dragons, giants, Nights King, three-eyed ravens, the Children, people returning from the dead, and now time travel. While I really like some of these aspects, I think I prefer the human dramas that were the focus of the first few seasons more.

Fantasy, and all good writing requires the willful suspension of disbelief. A central requirement for that (for me anyway) is internal consistency.

I enjoyed chasing down the leads on the criticism that said the books say Dany isn't fireproof, snd that the show was out of line. Because I have read the books, watched the show, and didn't think so myself, and still don't.

If you don't care about this point, then yeah, I get it, this back and forth is pretty boring.

What do you think about GRRM slowly sliding into deeper and deeper fantasy? The first season (minus the opening white walker scenes) was largely realistic, what you might have expected to see in England a thousand years ago. Now the GOT world is full of dragons, giants, Nights King, three-eyed ravens, the Children, people returning from the dead, and now time travel. While I really like some of these aspects, I think I prefer the human dramas that were the focus of the first few seasons more.

The human drama is still there, but I think the show has done a poor job of keeping it up. In the books, even with Bran training and white walkers, they still had Dany struggling to rule and be just, Jaime's reflection, Cersei's descent into crazy town, Tyrion wallowing, Jon struggling with his vows and leading etc etc.

Some of that isn't easily translatable. And I also understand that the show can't use a slow approach to the Others that GRRM did (case in point, the difference in Hardhome, works in the books for suspense, but you gotta show something for TV).

The show has pivoted much more to the supernatural than the books, IMO. And it's a little less appealing than season 1 and 2 for it.

The human drama is still there, but I think the show has done a poor job of keeping it up. In the books, even with Bran training and white walkers, they still had Dany struggling to rule and be just, Jaime's reflection, Cersei's descent into crazy town, Tyrion wallowing, Jon struggling with his vows and leading etc etc.

Some of that isn't easily translatable. And I also understand that the show can't use a slow approach to the Others that GRRM did (case in point, the difference in Hardhome, works in the books for suspense, but you gotta show something for TV).

The show has pivoted much more to the supernatural than the books, IMO. And it's a little less appealing than season 1 and 2 for it.

GREAT question, Matt. I have really enjoyed this season so far, so I can't say the emphasis on fantasy has lessened my interest, but I think if the series hadn't started out based more in reality I wouldn't be as invested.

I liked it until Dany went into the fire and came out unscathed, because it was turning into fantasy. I still gave it some more episodes to try and get over it and I'm glad I did.