Better Draft Day (s) coverage: ESPN or NFLN?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NFLN but only for Mayock. It'd be great if it were just him and a fan of the team that was on the clock having some chit chat.

Both ESPN and NFLN have a problem with two many guys trying to get their $.02 and shouting it too so it all comes off as a bad impression of 1980s WWF backstage interviews.

I don't understand the love for Mike Mayock. I don't hate him or anything (though he is/was gawd-awful on Thursday Night Football games), but is he really that much more knowledgable, or truly insightful, than anybody else?

I must say, I have grown to pretty much loathe the NFL Network. It is unbelievably bad... it could be so much better in my opinion. I guess I don't have a strong prerference one way or another for ESPN or NFLN draft coverage....though I think I would gravitate toward ESPN, perhaps more out of comfort than anything. I know, people hate Kiper (and there is plenty to not like about him), but for me, he is synonymous with the NFL draft... sure he is as wrong as often as he is right...but the whole thing is a guessing game.

I don't understand the love for Mike Mayock. I don't hate him or anything (though he is/was gawd-awful on Thursday Night Football games), but is he really that much more knowledgable, or truly insightful, than anybody else?

I must say, I have grown to pretty much loathe the NFL Network. It is unbelievably bad... it could be so much better in my opinion. I guess I don't have a strong prerference one way or another for ESPN or NFLN draft coverage....though I think I would gravitate toward ESPN, perhaps more out of comfort than anything. I know, people hate Kiper (and there is plenty to not like about him), but for me, he is synonymous with the NFL draft... sure he is as wrong as often as he is right...but the whole thing is a guessing game.

I can only speak for myself...the reason I like Mayock so much is that he does a fantastic job of explaining exactly what it is that scouts & GMs look for in a player. More than any other TV analyst, he understands the process and the key points, and makes the effort to communicate the insight he has to the viewer.

It also doesn't hurt his credibility that he's been approached for GM gigs in Oakland and Cleveland in the past.

I can only speak for myself...the reason I like Mayock so much is that he does a fantastic job of explaining exactly what it is that scouts & GMs look for in a player. More than any other TV analyst, he understands the process and the key points, and makes the effort to communicate the insight he has to the viewer.

It also doesn't hurt his credibility that he's been approached for GM gigs in Oakland and Cleveland in the past.

He would have been a huge upgrade

I believe there has been similar interest in Kiper over the years.

The thing that impresses me most about Mayock is that he speaks very authoritative, but he seems to have a sense of humor about the whole thing. But let me ask (and I am asking this an honest question, not to be a smart ass), has he ever been right about something that everybody else was wrong about?

The guy I really like, on FOX Sports Radio, is Chris Landry. He was a one time scout for the Browns and Saints... but that is radio.

I believe there has been similar interest in Kiper over the years.

The thing that impresses me most about Mayock is that he speaks very authoritative, but he seems to have a sense of humor about the whole thing. But let me ask (and I am asking this an honest question, not to be a smart ass), has he ever been right about something that everybody else was wrong about?

The guy I really like, on FOX Sports Radio, is Chris Landry. He was a one time scout for the Browns and Saints... but that is radio.

The one that really sticks out to me is how vehement he was in backing Jay Cutler as the best QB to come out of the 2006 draft, way ahead of Leinart and Vince Young, when just about everyone else had the other two as the marquee guys.

The one that really sticks out to me is how vehement he was in backing Jay Cutler as the best QB to come out of the 2006 draft, way ahead of Leinart and Vince Young, when just about everyone else had the other two as the marquee guys.

I was golfing that day. I wanted the Bills to take Cutler even though we had JP Losman.

Trick question, they are both terrible.

Kiper (and there is plenty to not like about him), but for me, he is synonymous with the NFL draft... sure he is as wrong as often as he is right...but the whole thing is a guessing game.

Agree with this. I kind of like kiper, probably because he's synonymous with the draft for me. But overall both espn and nfln are pretty bad.

I don't need a crew of 15 people, special touch screens that the hosts struggle to use correctly, twitter feeds from random people, or cameras in every kids home with their entourage. Just give me info, good hosts, rumors, and the picks. KISS, espn and nfln!

Edited by dubs

NFL Network by a long shot. They actually have people who know football and are not just there for show. Mike Mayock and Charles Davis actually know what they are talking about, compared to Mel Kiper and Todd McShay.

I used to have ESPN on 24/7, I watched EVERY show on that channel and followed it religiously...I never watch it anymore, ever.

Nor do I read any articles put out by ESPN.com and their pathetic, amateur writers. It's terrible...especially that Rodak guy.

Edited by Bob Malooga