ESPN Poll regarding Buffalo Bills

All this negative Buffalo speculation is really getting old...

Thats why they need to fire the goofy Bastage that said no to the movie or fire every politician that were going to charge exorbitant taxes to bring the movie to B/Lo the movie about the draft not being made in Buffalo it COULD HAVE shown a better light on the city but some moron who ever that may be had a different idea & now the city of Cleveland is reaping the benefits of the movie .

Sure the Bills have a small bit part in the movie & Russy gets his acting debut but if it was filmed in Buffalo it would have been such a good lift for the city , the Bills & tourism !!

Edited by T master

KOK-Tex, (wait.. WHAT?!?) I hear ya and agree NFLN should be more informed than any other networks coverage - and it does suck! Hell, even the hokey NHLN is better at staying atop all it's teams tha NFLN.

One thing I disagree on -and grudgingly agree with them on, is the Pats*. We all thought their age and departed talent would bring them back to earth last year, yet they won the damn Div by Thanksgiving and appeared yet again in the Conference Title Game.

So no more 'this is the year' for either the Bills to finally threaten or NE to finally fall - until these events actually materialize, IMO.

i understand and appreciate your position .

But i have to take what i perceive as positives and use that for motivation. I dont think it very healthy to expect mediocrity.

Especially this time of year :beer:

Regarding this question;

Is Buffalo big enough to support an NFL franchise?

The focus of that question is on the wrong thing. Clearly the region has enough fans, but today's NFL isn't predicated upon selling individual tix at $70 apiece, it's built around PSLs and selling luxury suites.

So really, the question needs to be whether or not Buffalo (and/or WNY) are economically viable enough to allow owners to do that. Clearly that's hardly the case.

This article is probably the best I've read on the subject;

http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/news/2014/03/05/absence-of-toronto-game-wont-slow.html?page=all

Excerpts;

Brandon spoke to Business First last week before the Bills announced their decision, and would only say at the time it was still being evaluated. But he did discuss the Bills strategy for long-term financial viability in a small market — a viability that could be tested in the coming years as an expensive new stadium or retrofit at the Ralph is analyzed, and, eventually, as a new ownership group considers how much money it can make in Buffalo.

That last part will be the determining factor, which will include which city builds a new stadium for the team.

The major disparities in revenue between teams come from gameday revenue, sponsorships, local media deals and other forms of corporate support.

Buffalo simply cannot produce the support for filling luxury suites and it's not a PSL town at the individual level. Unfortunately, but hey, that's what NYS taxes have done.

A look at the total personal income, or TPI, of Buffalo and Rochester offers an example of the combined wealth of the two cities. According to the Bureau of Economic Analysis, in 2012, Buffalo ranked 56th among U.S. metropolitan areas at $48.5 billion while Rochester was 58th at $47.4 billion. Combined, the two markets would rank 33rd and, coincidentally, just ahead of fellow NFL markets Charlotte, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Kansas City and Indianapolis.

This was two years ago and clearly hasn't improved since then. Also, it takes both Rochester and Buffalo markets to compete.

Also, ...

The Bills released a joint statement between Brandon and Keith Pelley, president of Rogers Media, announcing a “robust sponsorship agreement for the 2014 season that will bring Canadian NFL fans visibility and access to the Bills.” That agreement includes ticketing, merchandise, media outreach and a newly created Canada House near the Ralph for Canadian tailgaters.

“The NFL remains very popular in Canada and we are dedicated to enriching the experience for the fans,” the statement said.

If true, namely that the NFL is very popular in Canada, then I suspect it would be a lot more popular if Canada/Ontario had its own team. It stands to reason.

Thats why they need to fire the goofy Bastage that said no to the movie or fire every politician that were going to charge exorbitant taxes to bring the movie to B/Lo the movie about the draft not being made in Buffalo it COULD HAVE shown a better light on the city but some moron who ever that may be had a different idea & now the city of Cleveland is reaping the benefits of the movie .

Sure the Bills have a small bit part in the movie & Russy gets his acting debut but if it was filmed in Buffalo it would have been such a good lift for the city , the Bills & tourism !!

I appreciate your positive outlook, but tourism? :)

That's fine for the average NFL fan with collective IQ's in the single digits...I get that...I even expect it...

But for paid analysts I do expect more...And I don't expect glowing praise either...I simply expect for them to be more thorough and not take the easy way out the way most numb-nuts will...To say the Bills are just a bunch of losers is no where even remotely close to telling the whole story...And I seriously doubt the 5 teams they beat last year (Miami twice of course), or the three other teams that beat them by a FG on the last play of the game, feel the Bills are nothing more than a bunch of 6-10 losers...That's how close the Bills were to being 9-7 and finishing 2nd in the AFC East...Three last-play-of-the-game FG's...I'm certain that's worthy of conversation more favorable than..."The only question for the Bills is can they avoid finishing in last place..." That's all I'm saying...

Objectively I don't see any reason the Bills can't legitimately compete with Miami and the Jets for 2nd in the AFC East...I really don't see how anyone can see it differently unless they simply want to say the Bills always find a way to lose and that's that...But I expect more in depth analysis from paid ex-pros...Maybe it's just me...Maybe it's just easier to blame the Flutie curse and move on... ;)

The Browns lose a couple close ones too. Same with the Jags and Texans. It's irrelevant to say how "close" we were to winning games when the reason is we just weren't that good. Who wants to do any analysis on that?

Besides, every couple years an analyst picks us as an up and comer and we always prove him wrong. Then they all take a breather from looking like idiots.

Regarding the OP's information and the sad truth of what popular perception is of the Buffalo BILLS outside of true fans, I wouldn't expect much else - as many others have stated. In general, fans tend to be that hyper-excited 9 year old who thinks his hero, QB of the Century, is the best ever and can *crush everyone else...but doesn't pay attention to the deficiencies of his own team or just how much parity exists in the current NFL....people all too often are like sheep, the media speaks they listen and frequently herd as expected....that said, Buffalo will alter national perception when they do what the Seahawks have done and elevated themselves from obscurity to relevance through winning....in fact, not IF but WHEN, the BILLS make their next trip to the Super Bowl you can bet every cent you've got on the media and therefore many fans, dragging out the 4 Super Bowl losses and everyone jumping on board about how history will repeat itself...want to change an outside perception? Change the culture...

To the secondary discussion regarding NFL Network and its analysts and discussion surrounding Buffalo....last year before the Draft, Mayock appeared on WGR with John Murphy and basically said, EJ is a project but he has the biggest upside of any of the QBs in the Draft and if you're going to take a project (as they all were determined to be) you take the one who can develop into your Franchise QB and then went on to say Buffalo had some good talent and could be poised to surprise some people...all the other NFL Network guys were pissing on the BILLS and smiling....this year is no different. Much like KOK, I hold the analysts to a different standard. Preparation, information, and objective analysis is what is required.....mention the problems with the BILLS, i.e. EJ's questionable future, the lack of good O line play and the abysmal Defense against the Run...but talk about Spikes, talk about Mike Williams trade, talk about Corey Graham and Dixon who've been brought in for good depth and STs play...talk about EJ spending an entire off season healthy and developing as a second year QB...talk about Pepper Johnson and Pagac and Schwartz to help against the Run....talk about Kiko eliminating one area of need now that he's played so well and runner-up DROY...talk about how they improved in winning games in their Division unlike any other year in quite some time...talk about the opportunities as much as you talk about the failures and talk about what advantage Buffalo carries with them THIS year with a coaching staff largely intact and the same Offensive system for a young QB, another year for Hackett as he is no longer a green horn, talk about how Hughes was pulled from the flames of wreckage only to be a pivotal player on the Defense last year....talk about it all....the good, the bad, and yes, the ugly...but then end with a balanced opinion of all things considered.....

until we answer the qb question, its hard to call the voters wrong. if EJ flops, odds are we are staring a new GM and HC down, and starting from scratch again (and possibly new owners)... Even if EJ succeeds competing for the super bowl is a lofty achievement.

Edited by NoSaint

Meh.. bad team will be bad is how the average NFL fan thinks.. No real reason for them to think otherwise.

All this negative Buffalo speculation is really getting old...

Small market + Worst team in the league as far as getting to the playoffs= Everyone laughs at your team

The Browns lose a couple close ones too. Same with the Jags and Texans. It's irrelevant to say how "close" we were to winning games when the reason is we just weren't that good. Who wants to do any analysis on that?

Besides, every couple years an analyst picks us as an up and comer and we always prove him wrong. Then they all take a breather from looking like idiots.

Honestly can't blame them for being. http://www.weiketrade.hk/Product/nsort249-1.html its hard to call the voters wrong

Exactly...I thought I was negative about this team... Good grief... :doh:

The other day The NFL Network was focusing on the AFC East and basically only asking if the Bills can avoid being in last place again...I mean...OK...I understand NE is the favorite and that's the end of that conversation...But the Bills were 3-1 vs the Jets and Miami last year...They beat Miami twice with Thad Lewis at QB and shut them out the 2nd time...And they were probably one Justin Rogers away from sweeping those two teams...So...Is the question really what can the Bills do to stay out of last place? Or instead is it can the Bills do enough this off season to pass the Jets and Miami?...

Then there's Charley Casserly who is just giving his opinion but it was overblown especially considering the fact that EJ did have some success as a Rookie in only 10 games...And Daniel Jeremiah, who I like a lot...But the guy is completely and totally oblivious to the fact that the Bills signed Brandon Spikes this off season...He has brought up the Bills drafting a MLB about 100 times and has not mentioned Spikes name once...Jeremiah is usually MUCH more thorough...I know because there is not a single Path To The Draft, or almost any NFL Network show I have missed over the past two years...Most of them I DVR and watch twice...I just don't get it with Jeremiah ignoring the Spikes signing...At least mention it for Christ's sake...Then there's this...When they talk about the Bills losing Byrd with guys like Willie McGinest it's like the end of the freaking world...But when they talk about the biggest Free Agency moves this off season in the NFC South, and ask McGinest along with a few other ex-jocks, not a single one even mentions Byrd...Not one! Not a peep...So what is it Willie? I mean surely if it's that big a loss for the Bills it has to be one of the more significant pick-ups in the NFC South...Right?...

Look I can be as negative as anyone about this team...My record here on this board is proof positive of that fact...But I think the Bills have had a very good off season all things considered...I think there are three (main) factors that will determine if they can push NE, and yes they can push NE if these three things happen...One...EJ has to play better and play 14-16 games...The better EJ plays the less important all remaining factors become...And I mean all...Two...In order for EJ to be more effective the Bills have to run the ball better when they want to run it, especially when they run it on 1st down...Three...They have to play better, more consistent, Defense vs run...That's it...Plain and simple...Do those three things only and they will win more close games and push for a playoff spot...They have the overall talent...Now they simply need to rough out some edges and get better play at the most important position in the NFL... B-)

I heard Gil Brandt on the NFL network say that he thinks we can win the division this year. So don't worry about ESPN talking heads. Professional analysts who really know football, know we are on the rise.

I heard Gil Brandt on the NFL network say that he thinks we can win the division this year. So don't worry about ESPN talking heads. Professional analysts who really know football, know we are on the rise.

I don't mean to piss in your Cheerios, but they said that in 2011 too.

We beat the Pats in the AFC Championship game. Spikes gets his revenge against the Cheaters, and we beat new NFL darling Seattle in the Super Bowl. Then, we shut everyone up! I too have been disappointed in the NFL Networks non-existent coverage of the Bills. But being a Pirates fan, I can offer some perspective. For the last 20 years the Pirates are ignored by the media. Then last year, boom. Now everywhere you go you hear about McCutchen, Pedro, and even Palonco. Win a playoff game, and the Bills are back in the national spotlight !@

Meh.. bad team will be bad is how the average NFL fan thinks.. No real reason for them to think otherwise.

Agreed. However what reasons would an average NFL fan have for even watching a Bills game, unless their fav team is playing us.