Some observations about potential new ownership

jahnyc

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One point I haven't read yet, granted I don't read every thread, but this one was on top and on subject. Both Chuck and lil Mario have ties to NYC Billionaires, probably a dozen or more. These billionaires if interested in having an NFL team could be fast tracked by these two men as long as they promise to keep the team in Buffalo. Local ownership is not our only salvation, we have some political power brokers and potential ownership with deep NYS/NYC pockets as well. Don't be surprised a few NYC Billionaires with ties to the Democrat party start bubbling to the surface.

It's real simple - the team will be sold to who Mary Wilson decides to sell it to. My guess is that Ralph already told her who he would like them sold to or some guidelines and she'll carry out his wishes. The team isn't up for auction therefore Bon Jovi can want to buy them all he wants but if Mary says no, it's over. The NFL and their owners only have to approve an owner of Mary's choosing (or Ralph's wishes).

I agree, if she is loyal to Buffalo like Ralph was , it could be Ralph and Mary Wilson Stadium

It's real simple - the team will be sold to who Mary Wilson decides to sell it to. My guess is that Ralph already told her who he would like them sold to or some guidelines and she'll carry out his wishes. The team isn't up for auction therefore Bon Jovi can want to buy them all he wants but if Mary says no, it's over. The NFL and their owners only have to approve an owner of Mary's choosing (or Ralph's wishes).

I'm not sure that is the way I understand it. Isn't the team in trust right now? The Trustees have a fiduciary responsibility to the holder(s) of the trust to maximize the value of the team; therefore, the trustees will have to sell it to the highest bidder. This is the way it was explained to me, anyway. The only wiggle they have might be in what the "value" means.

One point I haven't read yet, granted I don't read every thread, but this one was on top and on subject. Both Chuck and lil Mario have ties to NYC Billionaires, probably a dozen or more. These billionaires if interested in having an NFL team could be fast tracked by these two men as long as they promise to keep the team in Buffalo. Local ownership is not our only salvation, we have some political power brokers and potential ownership with deep NYS/NYC pockets as well. Don't be surprised a few NYC Billionaires with ties to the Democrat party start bubbling to the surface.

Schumer and Cuomo have nothing to do with "fast tracking" the approval of a new owner, now matter what the guy does or doesn't promise. Short of awarding the owner money for a new stadium, there really isn't anything they can to to save the owner from moving the team.

I wouldn't be surprised to find that Jon Bon Jovi ,and his group MLSE will be the highest bidder for the team. "Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment" That once they own the team they build a new stadium and move the team up north. . Change the name so the fans will call it "their" team. Once Toronto has an NFL team there simply won't be an allowable market for Buffalo.

MLSE is the Toronto sports powerhouse that owns that city’s NHL and NBA teams (Maple Leafs and Raptors) and the arena they play in (Air Canada Centre), as well as the city’s MLS team (Toronto FC) and AHL team (Marlies).

With a population of over six million, Toronto is the second largest city without an NFL team, next to LA. The NFL Commissioner wants a team in Toronto.

EDIT to add link. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24521645/report-bon-jovi-part-of-toronto-group-trying-to-buy-buffalo-bills

Bon Jovi is also buddies with Robert Kraft (Patriots owner), Arthur Blank (Falcons owner) and other NFL owners. So again, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see his group get approval from other NFL owners for buying the team.

Should Russs Brandon be retained as CEO after the sale, and the team still keeps losing. I could see the group using that as an excuse to move the team.

Edited by FeartheLosing

Schumer and Cuomo have nothing to do with "fast tracking" the approval of a new owner, now matter what the guy does or doesn't promise. Short of awarding the owner money for a new stadium, there really isn't anything they can to to save the owner from moving the team.

"Fast-tracking" was all you took away from my post? The overall big idea is that both politicians have very close ties to NYC Billionaires who might have interest in owning an NFL football team and keeping them in NYS.

The NFL is the only major sports franchise without a Canadian connection. The NBA, NHL and MLB all have Canadian teams in their league. We may not like it but Buffalo leaving after the lease ends, or in the buyout year makes sense for the NFL.

They know that Bills fans will complain about losing the team but thousands will drive to Toronto, or become fans of another NFL team like Pittsburg, Cleveland or the Giants. The NFL is all about making money.

As far as Mary Wilson, she wants to sell for as much as she can, if that means the Bills leave Buffalo, do you think she really cares if she makes more in Toronto. The population of Toronto is 10 Times the size of Buffalo at 2.5 Million.

Edited by oman128

I'm not sure that is the way I understand it. Isn't the team in trust right now? The Trustees have a fiduciary responsibility to the holder(s) of the trust to maximize the value of the team; therefore, the trustees will have to sell it to the highest bidder. This is the way it was explained to me, anyway. The only wiggle they have might be in what the "value" means.

WRONG: Read above. The fiduciary duty is owed to the beneficiaries but the beneficiaries can release the trustee of breaching that duty if they consent to a "fair market value" offer (i.e. Even if the offer is lower it may be more attractive for other reasons - like a commitment to staying in Buffalo as per Ralph's wishes).

It`s all up to Mary. She is the owner. Really how much money at 68 is enough ? I`m sure she already is pretty much set. Ralph probably had her setup for life. Mary controls who owns the Bills. Maybe Bon Jovi turns on the charm, and wins out. Black and white Mary ,says who will own the Bills.$$$$$$$.

The NFL is the only major sports franchise without a Canadian connection. The NBA, NHL and MLB all have Canadian teams in their league. We may not like it but Buffalo leaving after the lease ends, or in the buyout year makes sense for the NFL.

They know that Bills fans will complain about losing the team but thousands will drive to Toronto, or become fans of another NFL team like Pittsburg, Cleveland or the Giants. The NFL is all about making money.

As far as Mary Wilson, she wants to sell for as much as she can, if that means the Bills leave Buffalo, do you think she really cares if she makes more in Toronto. The population of Toronto is 10 Times the size of Buffalo at 2.5 Million.

Yes, I get the distinct impression she cares greatly about the fans in the region and the outpouring of affection from them. The tribute to Mr. Wilson at the field house last week was very indicative of just how much she DOES care.

GO BILLS!!!

"Fast-tracking" was all you took away from my post? The overall big idea is that both politicians have very close ties to NYC Billionaires who might have interest in owning an NFL football team and keeping them in NYS.

What did I miss? Senators and governors know billionaires? Got it. The gist of your big idea post is that politicians can fast track ownership for their billionaire acquaintances---if they agree to keep the team in WNY. I don't believe this is possible for them to do.

Im surprised that Danny Wegmans name hasn't been brought up, linked or considered. The Wegmans family certainly has the means, I would think & they do a lot of promotions with the team. Go Bills!

Didn't Wegmans abruptly end its huge sponsorship deal of the Bills training camp under Russ's watch a few years ago?

I have to wonder if Roger Goodell isn't quietly working behind the scenes to try to get the Bills to Los Angeles. Over the last few years, he has been quite vocal about his desire to get a team in LA, and now he has been a little too quiet on the issue. And, the $400mil lease restriction could time out perfectly as it could certainly take that long for LA to get their stadium situation settled/built.

On the other hand, I suspect that Goodell, and the NFL would be quite satisfied with the Bills moving to Toronto, as it has been the plan/dream to make the NFL "international," and that would be a logical next step in that direction.

In 2012, only the Jags, and the Raiders were less profitable than the Bills. It will be tragic if they move, but it sure isn't unlikely.

I have to wonder if Roger Goodell isn't quietly working behind the scenes to try to get the Bills to Los Angeles. Over the last few years, he has been quite vocal about his desire to get a team in LA, and now he has been a little too quiet on the issue. And, the $400mil lease restriction could time out perfectly as it could certainly take that long for LA to get their stadium situation settled/built.

On the other hand, I suspect that Goodell, and the NFL would be quite satisfied with the Bills moving to Toronto, as it has been the plan/dream to make the NFL "international," and that would be a logical next step in that direction.

In 2012, only the Jags, and the Raiders were less profitable than the Bills. It will be tragic if they move, but it sure isn't unlikely.

In 2012 (reported in 2013), the 4 teams with a lower operating margin were SF, Detroit, AZ and Tampa. Actually, the Bills often rank in the top 10.

LA hasn't been able to get their stadium situation settled for over 20 years. It won't likely happen by 2020. Toronto is a more likely threat.

I'm already sick of talking about who is going to take over ownership of this team.

I've said this once, I've said this twice, I've said this a hundred thousand times over the last 15 years, but here it is again:

If the Bills left Buffalo tomorrow morning, there would be a line of teams 10-15 deep to move to Buffalo tomorrow night.

11th highest tv ratings in the league after 15 years of absolutely mind numbing, pathetic football. Literally running 53 men out onto that field, so long as theyre wearing Bills jerseys, guarantees you will be one of the most popular franchises in the sport.

And you think tarp city (Jacksonville) is going to sit down there with their 15,000 fans, while the Ralph sits empty and millions of (former) Bills fans curse Bon Jovi for moving the team to Toron... god this sentence, this IDEA, is so f*cking ridiculous I'm not even going to finish it im going to get dinner.

Not a chance....but I'm interested in your explanation. Which teams would be lining up to come to Buffalo?

It`s all up to Mary. She is the owner. Really how much money at 68 is enough ? I`m sure she already is pretty much set. Ralph probably had her setup for life. Mary controls who owns the Bills. Maybe Bon Jovi turns on the charm, and wins out. Black and white Mary ,says who will own the Bills.$$$$$$$.

The other NFL owners have more control. They're the ones that vote to approve the new ownership. Also why I hate all the articles saying Bills will be sold to highest bidder. That is not true either.

In 2012 (reported in 2013), the 4 teams with a lower operating margin were SF, Detroit, AZ and Tampa. Actually, the Bills often rank in the top 10.

LA hasn't been able to get their stadium situation settled for over 20 years. It won't likely happen by 2020. Toronto is a more likely threat.

I was going by a Forbes article on the subject of team profitability. Here's the link: http://www.forbes.com/nfl-valuations/

Saying that "LA hasn't been able to get their stadium situation settled for over 20 years," is little more than snark. I live in Los Angeles (and for the record, would be depressed by the Bils moving here), and I can say that building a new stadium is only a matter of time. There have been several plans floated, and the money and resources are definitely there. A team moving to Los Angeles is almost a certainty. Let's hope it's not the Bills.

He's referenced on several occasions about keeping the Bills in Buffalo. Here's his latest statement after Ralph's passing "“We all know they have a lease. We know the terms of (that) lease, and we also know we have to find a long-term solution to keep the Bills there, and that’s what we’ll continue to work to do, but that’s not our priority right now in the next few days.”