If We Pass on Ebron .... We Will Regret it

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A.S. Jenkins runs a 4.56 at 6-6 271. Does this at Jets visit. Bigger ,faster. 2nd rd.

Why is he projected in the 2nd? BTW I think he is the guy the Bills take. He fits better into their current offense. Would love a guy like Ebron but ASJ is like a much better version of Chandler.

Backup QB might be right and the Bills could regret not picking him...yet after watching lots of video on Ebron, I'm left with a ton of positives...great hands, runs good routes, fast and elusive,YAC is impressive...yet I see quite a few negatives as well...blocking stinks, he often is downed by the first and smaller tackler and the well chronicled drops...It truly scares me to use the 9th pick on this guy and he has value...later in the 1st round...A review of mock drafts shows no other team grabbing him until Picks 15-23..not that these predictions are the be all end all... If Bills could pick him later by moving down in the 1st round or getting back into the late 1st round thru packaging 2nd, 3rd or future picks would allow us to get the OT we need to keep EJ upright and still gain an offensive weapon we havent had in 20+ years...Its going to be interesting and exciting to see what the Bills and Whaley have in mind in this years draft...

I am not a big Ebron fan, either. I am a little bit more positive on Mosley though. If we assume that Mack,Clowney, Robinson, Mathews, Watkins and Evans are all gone, what should the Bills do (other than the magic trade down)?

They *could* take:

Barr - I am not sold on him being that great - think I'd prefer Mosley.

Lewan - at least based on what I've seen, he doesn't sound like the powerful run blocking RT I would be looking for - I've seen him described as a "finesse" LT. I wouldn't be disappointed if they took Lewan as he still has what look to be great skill and a pair of good OTs is very valuable

Another WR - still like Marquise Lee and some are saying that Odell Beckham is worth a top 10 pick. I am not a big fan of Kelvin Benjamin anywhere in round 1 (would consider him in 2nd though)

Mosley - Many think he'd be a great fit with Alonzo

I just can't see them taking a QB in round 1 and I don't think an OG will go there.

I don't think there is a DE after Clowney worth taking that high.

I would be very surprised with a CB or S. I know they lost Byrd, but I don't think they'll take another in round 1.

If the draft unfolds this way, the Bills will be in a tough spot. Given those options and what I've read, I'd take Mosley or WR Lee or Beckham (and feel like I just missed out on the very top tier of players)

I agree, but can't see Evans getting past Tampa Bay with pick 7. If he does - and nobody trades into the Viking's spot to nab him, then he looks to be the best option to me.

One player that is "moving up" is OT Martin from Notre Dame. Some have said that he could be a top 10 pick. A four year starter that may go before Lewan.

Why is he projected in the 2nd? BTW I think he is the guy the Bills take. He fits better into their current offense. Would love a guy like Ebron but ASJ is like a much better version of Chandler.

we may have a winner here. If they do grab one and the stars align , this would might be the guy. I have not forgotten Niklas though.

One player that is "moving up" is OT Martin from Notre Dame. Some have said that he could be a top 10 pick. A four year starter that may go before Lewan.

Donald too.

Nice stats article breaking down objections to Ebron based on college TD's and drops. Basically states he is a big WR playing as a TE which will have different stats than a TE that catches passes near the line of scrimmage.

http://rotoviz.com/index.php/2014/04/is-eric-ebrons-catch-rate-a-red-flag-breaking-down-the-numbers/

"Is he a perfect TE? Maybe not. Is he a WR? No. But I think he’s a really good TE who plays like a good WR, and that makes him a really, really good prospect.

So not only does Ebron come out atop my TE projections, and have one of the top ten all time scores in Jon Moore’s TE projection model, he’s also an above average WR prospect. What’s not to love?"

For the 9th pick we better find a Gronk - a TE who can do everything. We are going to run a lot and with our weather we need a TE who can block too. I hate to say it but Gronk is perfect. Campbell is an ok tight end but he is not more than good at anything. He struggles to block on the move because he isn't athletic like Gronk. But Campbell doesn't quite hold up at the line always either. We need a TE who is tough, physical and can stretch the field a bit. We don't need a "soft" TE that plays like a receiver. I have not studied the players that closely. I don't think Ebron fits my description though and think we could get a TE like this later if we trade down there are so many to choose from. We also have Gragg - does he have any promise? I don't want a TE who is just marginally better at Gragg or Campbell - we need to find someone without a weakness. For those of you who know who do you think fits that description?

Why does all the "draft experts" think that Ebron will be there when the Bills pick? If Ebron is so special then why wouldn't the Atlanta Falcons take him with their pick? On Atlanta's roster they have at TE Mickey Shuler and two they drafted last year(Toilolo, Szcerba). Whaley says a QBs best friends are a TE and RB, wouldn't Matt Ryan need to have a best friend too? With the retirement of Gonzo, they will need another playmaker on offense to prevent teams from doubling Julio Jones/Roddy White. The Falcons just gave "Matty Ice" a boat load of money and I'm pretty sure they will want to give their investment all the necessary tools to succeed, like the Bills want to do with Manuel. All I'm saying is that the Bills may not regret doing something they may never get a chance at.

Ebron drop rate 11.43 compared to ASJ 5.41 . ASJ best hands of top TE`s

Folks are beating a dead horse into the ground with Ebron's drop percentage.

OK, its all you got, we get it.

Wes Welker drop percentage was over 9% last season. Calvin Johnson was tied for fourth in the NFL in drops drops with 8.

Eric Ebron is a WR in a TE's body, his large catching range has been well documented along with Ebrons acrobatic/one handed catches.

Simply put Ebron gets his hands and or hand on balls(in double, sometimes even triple coverage) other TE's wouldn't and it adds to his drop percentage.

Edited by Donald Duck

Why does all the "draft experts" think that Ebron will be there when the Bills pick? If Ebron is so special then why wouldn't the Atlanta Falcons take him with their pick? On Atlanta's roster they have at TE Mickey Shuler and two they drafted last year(Toilolo, Szcerba). Whaley says a QBs best friends are a TE and RB, wouldn't Matt Ryan need to have a best friend too? With the retirement of Gonzo, they will need another playmaker on offense to prevent teams from doubling Julio Jones/Roddy White. The Falcons just gave "Matty Ice" a boat load of money and I'm pretty sure they will want to give their investment all the necessary tools to succeed, like the Bills want to do with Manuel. All I'm saying is that the Bills may not regret doing something they may never get a chance at.

Because the Falcons have monster holes at o line and on defense. You could argue that running back is a need as well. As crazy as it seems, the Bills might have a more talented all around team. However, Matt Ryan and Julio Jones are two elite type players that we don't have.

Because they are desperate for defensive playmakers and have a real need on that side of the ball. They can take a TE later.

If Ebron goes Top 8 I will be doing a happy dance! That would be the best thing that could possibly happen to the Buffalo Bills. 3 QBs and Ebron in Top 8 please!

Edited by Why So Serious?

From what I've seen (granted it's not all that much) and given our place in the draft, I like ASJ in the 2nd over Ebron in the 1st.

Honestly, it depends what you want. ASJ is a possession type TE. He averaged about 12 yards/ catch for his career (pretty much Chandler's #1). Ebron averaged 16.

As with the draft, who really knows? But the reason Ebron is looked at as the #1 TE is because he's the only guy in the draft who take a 10 yard pass and go 60 yards. TEs with that ability are really rare and the Bills have never had one.

From what I've seen (granted it's not all that much) and given our place in the draft, I like ASJ in the 2nd over Ebron in the 1st.

I think there's just a philosophical difference between the Ebron and ASJ supporters. To me, when I see ASJ highlights he looks and plays a lot like Scott Chandler. He will probably be a better TE than Chandler because he's more athletic, but they are the classic big TE model.

Ebron is not the classic big TE, he's projected as a featured receiver in the mold of a Jimmy Graham. The new style hybrid TE/WR who would be used as the featured #1 target of the QB.

The Bills don't have a #1 "receiver". This is a huge hole in our offense. That's the case the Ebron supporters are making. We don't want a guy that they essentially already have on the roster in Chandler. We want for EJ, in his critical 2nd season, to have a #1 receiving threat who will provide "game in, game out" mismatches. Does he drop a few more balls than ASJ? Yes, but that's something you can live with. Brandon Marshall had 12 dropped passes last year while Stevie Johnson had 7, yet you don't hear about what a failure Brandon Marshall is because of his drops. TO was well know for his drops count, yet he was a great receiver. Plus, Ebron seems very dedicated and I see him can cleaning up that part of his game.

For the 9th pick we better find a Gronk - a TE who can do everything. We are going to run a lot and with our weather we need a TE who can block too. I hate to say it but Gronk is perfect. Campbell is an ok tight end but he is not more than good at anything. He struggles to block on the move because he isn't athletic like Gronk. But Campbell doesn't quite hold up at the line always either. We need a TE who is tough, physical and can stretch the field a bit. We don't need a "soft" TE that plays like a receiver. I have not studied the players that closely. I don't think Ebron fits my description though and think we could get a TE like this later if we trade down there are so many to choose from. We also have Gragg - does he have any promise? I don't want a TE who is just marginally better at Gragg or Campbell - we need to find someone without a weakness. For those of you who know who do you think fits that description?

Who is Cambell?