Game of Thrones: Season 4

Kevin

I'm under the impression that giants are pretty rare, and so are the mammoths, so I didn't have much issue with that. Also, I think the wildling "army" is simply the population of wildlings, a lot of women and children, not just fighters.

That's definitely correct. It would take a population in the millions to field an army of 100,000 warriors, and from what we've seen in the show there is no chance the land beyond the wall could support that many. Let's not forget that almost the entire military strength of the North joins Robb at the end of season 1 and that was like 20,000 soldiers.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's definitely correct. It would take a population in the millions to field an army of 100,000 warriors, and from what we've seen in the show there is no chance the land beyond the wall could support that many. Let's not forget that almost the entire military strength of the North joins Robb at the end of season 1 and that was like 20,000 soldiers.

Rule of thumb is 10 civilians support one soldier, at a maximum.

"Rains of Castamere" playing when Tyrion shot Tywin was a nice touch.

Great episode. I started reading the books, already plowed through the first one and am half way through the second. I thought I would struggle to catch up before the start of next season but the way I'm going I'll be caught up by training camp.

Tom, great catch there, I missed that.

Ok, my #1 choice was right, Jaimie smuggles him out.

Regardless, that was the best hour of television ever! !@#$ing awesome episode!

They really packed a ton into that one, didn't they? I'll be watching this episode again for certain.

Okay, now I'm not so pissed that Oberyn got himself killed by grandstanding. Although I suspect I shouldn't be getting attached to Tyrion because anyone could be whacked at any time on this show! Also when I saw the preview with Melisandre telling Stannis that the real fight was in the North, I knew he'd save Jon Snow's bacon. Although I thought for a moment that Jon would take the deal Mance offered him since they'll ultimately all need to fight the Whitewalkers.

Okay, now I'm not so pissed that Oberyn got himself killed by grandstanding. Although I suspect I shouldn't be getting attached to Tyrion because anyone could be whacked at any time on this show! Also when I saw the preview with Melisandre telling Stannis that the real fight was in the North, I knew he'd save Jon Snow's bacon. Although I thought for a moment that Jon would take the deal Mance offered him since they'll ultimately all need to fight the Whitewalkers.

I pretty much came to the conculsion that Stannis would come to the rescue at the end of last weeks episode. The Nights Watch was decimated and we already knew Stannis was marching north

My suspision is that Stannis takes Mance's offer but with a catch. Stannis forces were annihilated at Blackwater. With Mance's wildingings, Stannis now has a force to march on Kings Landing.

Did you catch that look Melisandre gave Jon Snow? I think Snow becomes her focus instead of Stannis. I don't think we've ever gotten the story on who his mother is. I remember when Ned left for Kings Landing and Jon for The Wall, that Ned said he would tell him of his mother when next they meet. I think Jon Snow is more than just Ned's bastard with some random wench. Random wenches aren't his style, that was more Robert's style. I'm thinking either Jon Snow is really Robert's bastard. Or that Ned took pity on a Targaryian infant. The Targaryian children were slaughtered during Robert's rebellion. Ned claimed one as his to spare the child. Which makes Jon Snow the last male Targaryian.

Kings Landing will collapse without Tywin holding it all together.

Can't wait for next season :)

Edited by /dev/null

I don't know how to do the spoiler thing you guys can do so I won't talk specifics, but as to your last sentence I was with you and think he may well have taken the deal. It felt like he was going to for sure.

I pretty much came to the conculsion that Stannis would come to the rescue at the end of last weeks episode. The Nights Watch was decimated and we already knew Stannis was marching north

My suspision is that Stannis takes Mance's offer but with a catch. Stannis forces were annihilated at Blackwater. With Mance's wildingings, Stannis now has a force to march on Kings Landing.

Did you catch that look Melisandre gave Jon Snow? I think Snow becomes her focus instead of Stannis. I don't think we've ever gotten the story on who his mother is. I remember when Ned left for Kings Landing and Jon for The Wall, that Ned said he would tell him of his mother when next they meet. I think Jon Snow is more than just Ned's bastard with some random wench. Random wenches aren't his style, that was more Robert's style. I'm thinking either Jon Snow is really Robert's bastard. Or that Ned took pity on a Targaryian infant. The Targaryian children were slaughtered during Robert's rebellion. Ned claimed one as his to spare the child. Which makes Jon Snow the last male Targaryian.

Great stuff and interesting to think about. I saw something with the creators once where they were talking about how they convinced Martin to let them adapt his work. Apparently it was a long dinner meeting, talking about how they'd do it and the world itself because they were both fans. At the end of the meeting Martin wasn't convinced they were the ones to adapt it so he tested them by asking them both who they thought Snow's mother was because it's still a mystery even in the books (if I'm not mistaken, I'm only one book deep). Benieoff and Weiss gave Martin their theory and he told them they were right and they could have the rights.

SPOILER Theory below (Ghetto style since I don't know how to do the pop ups)

Your theory would be cool and might well be right for all I know, the only thing that makes me hesitate is how in the books Snow's resemblance to Ned is what drove Caetlyn's hate-fire for Snow, so he must have some Stark in him. But it could be that he was Ned's sister's kid from when she was raped by Dany's older brother (The Mad King's heir, Prince Rhygar or whatever, I forget his name) who Robert killed in revenge. I hadn't considered that angle before your post but it would be pretty great.

I don't know how to do the spoiler thing you guys can do so I won't talk specifics,

SPOILER Theory below (Ghetto style since I don't know how to do the pop ups)

To open the spoiler

left bracket [

spoiler

right bracket ]

To close the spoiler

left bracket [

/spoiler

right bracket ]

Just kidding with you... :lol:

it's true though. Went to a wedding Sunday, so I was primed for the show. I didn't think about time zones when I posted, let alone those who can't watch Sunday night.

That show had so many layers of emotion going on with so many different characters. Also, given melisandre's look at Jon snow, she must know that he's got noble blood. I've tried to figure out who Ned could've bedded, but there don't seem to be any good possibilities. I have a hunch he's

not Ned's, rather it has something to do with his sister who Robert said was his one true love.

:-)

Edited by TPS

oh so much to comment on...... I'll try to keep this neutral

Roberts love and expected wife was Neds sister.... so that does make sense.

Melisandre does have a thing for sacrificing kings or their children

And as stated the real war is the war in the north

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever