Game of Thrones: Season 4

Kevin

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Prince Oberyn turned out to be the Desean Jackson of Kings Landing.

Man, I was really rooting for him. I was pissed when that happened. When he was spiking the ball at the 10, I had a feeling something was going to go wrong. They really know how to emphatically end an episode. Wow.

I read books 2-5 in just under 3 months.

that sounds about right for me as well.

1 book every 2 to 3 weeks.

Best episode of the season. I glad that they stayed with the Castle Black storyline the entire episode. It's also the first time where I didn't hate Sam's part.

u sure?

even Sam's profession of love? Somehow I thought that was different ....

loved the "ice breaker" scene where the weapon turned everything into a pink mist.

was sad to see Ygritte die. I was hoping the writers might have made an adjustment there ...

and I was hoping more would have been shown of ghost attacking more than one wildling

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Best episode of the season. I glad that they stayed with the Castle Black storyline the entire episode. It's also the first time where I didn't hate Sam's part.

The penultimate episode of each season so far has always focused on only one storyline. The red wedding last season, the battle of blackwater in season 2, and Ned's beheading in season 1.

and I was hoping more would have been shown of ghost attacking more than one wildling

I'm guessing they maxed out their budget with the mammoths and giants and all the CGI. I have no idea what that episode cost but it probably cost a huge chunk of their season's budget.

was sad to see Ygritte die. I was hoping the writers might have made an adjustment there ...

I haven't read the books but it was clear either Jon Snow or Ygritte would have to die...they just weren't meant to be together in that world. Great scene, though...the little boy who watched the Wildlings kill his parents takes revenge, saving Snow in the process. Then some really poignant dialogue between the two of them ("we should have never left that cave...").

Excellent episode.

I enjoyed this episode for the fact that I thought, predictably, Jon Snow was going to die and he didn't. The writers have built up for 3 seasons that in episode 9, something shocking would happen. It was a nice change of pace to see a Stark not get "crapped on". And while Ygritte's death happened, it was going to be either her or Jon, they made that much clear.

I don't know. The ice anchor wipeout apparatus and the barrels that spooked the wooly mammoth with the towing package action scenes were pretty solid.

I agree that the ice anchor was pretty bloody cool, but the barrels bit highlighted the crappy part(to me at least). A mammoth, 2 giants and a handful of wildlings? Seemed out of perspective to the 100,000+ strength army. The base of the wall needed to be littered with troops and bodies.

Don't get me wrong though.....even my disappointment with the episode, I still liked it more than most other shows good episodes.

I agree that the ice anchor was pretty bloody cool, but the barrels bit highlighted the crappy part(to me at least). A mammoth, 2 giants and a handful of wildlings? Seemed out of perspective to the 100,000+ strength army. The base of the wall needed to be littered with troops and bodies.

Don't get me wrong though.....even my disappointment with the episode, I still liked it more than most other shows good episodes.

as snow said, they were just testing the defenses. That said, I'm sure the producers have to compromise some things to stay within budget. Epic battle scenes are expensive...

The wildling army is about 15,000-20,000 strong if you count actual warriors and those fit to fight. The rest are either too old/young to fight or not equipped to do so. The majority of the wildling host are non-combatants following the actual army. Also, it's a 700 foot wall... only a fool would send a huge force to be slaughtered. It doesn't make much sense to expend all your strength even before you get through the wall. Far better to probe your enemy's defenses.

Edited by Fingon

which thread is this???

hmmmm would this be a spoiler or not? ... we'll have to see what happens next week to say for sure.

No spoiler.....I was referring to the action on the North side of the wall battle(episode 9 that just aired).

I'm under the impression that giants are pretty rare, and so are the mammoths, so I didn't have much issue with that. Also, I think the wildling "army" is simply the population of wildlings, a lot of women and children, not just fighters.

I'm under the impression that giants are pretty rare, and so are the mammoths, so I didn't have much issue with that. Also, I think the wildling "army" is simply the population of wildlings, a lot of women and children, not just fighters.

that would be correct.

there's much and more to come ... if the TV writers follow the book here