Schefter: Bills tried acquiring Chris Johnson

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If there is something big brewing like trading up to get Clowney I am in favor of trading Spiller!

ill 2nd this. If it means giving up CJ and our 1st to get Clowney and the Texans 2-3rd then I'd take it in a heartbeat. I think it should be noted that this coaching staff doesn't feel the same way about Spiller as the last one did. They tried, but Spiller proved them to be right in the end about him.

At times last year we lost 2 of the top 3 receivers, 1 of the top two backs, three top QBs, top 3 corners and top safety.

This screams, we want t be as prepared as possible for injuries. I like it. Depth isn't a bad thing

ill agree with this 100% as well. I don't think this coaching staff wants to take any chances this year. It's playoffs or bust and you can't have that with having gaping holes for your backups.

I think that Spiller is a weapon too. He is a weapon like Reggie Bush is though not like AD. He is not an every down back. He is a guy that needs 12-15 touches a game in space and he may bust one. He needs to catch more balls out of the backfield and less runs between the tackles. I like Spiller a lot as a weapon but I wouldn't be shocked (at all) if he is dealt.

He's better than Bush. Bush has barely top 1,000 yards twice in 8 years and his best season he averaged 5 ypc. Spiller went over 1,200 yards at 6 ypc in his 3 season and didn't top 1,000 last year because he had one of the worst injuries a running back could have.

Put it this way. I'd be way more disappointed to lose SPiller than I would Byrd. Because Spiller still hasn't reached his ceiling.

I won't like that at all but that's just me. Spiller is special and we're goign to get a good prospect at #9 anyways.

I would not like this either but it seems the Bills don't view him as an every down back. Fred certainly is but he has 1 maybe 2 yrs left if that.

Plus his contract is up at the end of the year right? If they can move up in the draft and get Watkins with him as trade bait well it would better the team.

Or package CJ, this years 1st rounder and next years 3rd to move up and take Johnny Football :)

He's better than Bush. Bush has barely top 1,000 yards twice in 8 years and his best season he averaged 5 ypc. Spiller went over 1,200 yards at 6 ypc in his 3 season and didn't top 1,000 last year because he had one of the worst injuries a running back could have.

Put it this way. I'd be way more disappointed to lose SPiller than I would Byrd. Because Spiller still hasn't reached his ceiling.

Bush also had a 90 catch season. He was an awesome weapon in the Super Bowl run. He ran back 1-2 punts in the one Monday night game. I have followed both pretty closing living in NOLA and they are very, very similar. They are home run, big play guys but not very down backs.

Bush also had a 90 catch season. He was an awesome weapon in the Super Bowl run. He ran back 1-2 punts in the one Monday night game. I have followed both pretty closing living in NOLA and they are very, very similar. They are home run, big play guys but not very down backs.

Sean Payton >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Nate Hackett (and I want to give NH a fair shake)

What do you think Payton could do with Spiller? And Spiller has already had better rushing seasons than Bush has. Bush may be a better receiver, but Spiller is the better rusher.

Edited by C.Biscuit97

bush and pierre very well compare to spiller and jackson - i dont know that there is a better comp pairing out there.

Sean Payton >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Nate Hackett (and I want to give NH a fair shake)

What do you think Payton could do with Spiller? And Spiller has already had better rushing seasons than Bush has. Bush may be a better receiver, but Spiller is the better rusher.

I agree that Payton is a lot better than Hackett. I just don't see much (if any difference) between the two. They are functionally the same player. They are explosive playmaking backs, that aren't good between the tackles, great in space and can catch the ball out of the backfield. Both have had dominating performances and games where they have done nothing. They have been asked to do things a little differently but their skill sets are virtually identical.

I agree that Payton is a lot better than Hackett. I just don't see much (if any difference) between the two. They are functionally the same player. They are explosive playmaking backs, that aren't good between the tackles, great in space and can catch the ball out of the backfield. Both have had dominating performances and games where they have done nothing. They have been asked to do things a little differently but their skill sets are virtually identical.

Compare then strictly as rushers. Bush barely got 1,000 yards twice in 8 years averaging 5 & 4.5 ypc. Spiller topped 1,200 averaging 6 ypc while splitting time with a very good rb. IMO, Spiller is a much better pure rb.

@AdamSchefter: Four teams that discussed a potential trade for RB Chris Johnson, but ultimately declined to do so, were the Jets, Bills, Dolphins, Falcons.

Of all the rumors and garbage out there I have heard this is the most interesting to me...If only because, to me at least, why would you have Spiller and CJ2K? Maybe it's just me...But that makes no sense... B-)

One thing that's missing in all this convo is now that we have Williams plus Woods , plus Stevie, plus Chandler, plus Goodwin .We would have an excellent WR group.

Remember we have Moeaki from KC , Gragg in the TE room. What if Moeaki stays healthy in camp. I think he beats out Chandler .

There is lots of ifs but I believe we can score some points if we get good QB play from EJ. Even with just these guys.

Thing is EJ needs time to throw, we upgrade the line first round we could be in for a surprise.

Compare then strictly as rushers. Bush barely got 1,000 yards twice in 8 years averaging 5 & 4.5 ypc. Spiller topped 1,200 averaging 6 ypc while splitting time with a very good rb. IMO, Spiller is a much better pure rb.

Than Bush? I don't know if I would say much better...Better? I guess so...I think CJ is definitely more explosive...I think Bush is slightly more elusive though, especially in traffic...If anything I think they are very similar...Both are definitely dynamic playmakers in their own right... B-)

Spiller had 1 great year. Bush had less opportunities and has been more consistent. I guess that we are going to disagree because they are virtually identical to me. I have seen tons of both and very few differences. Who would you say is the best comparison to Spiller if not Reggie? They are both rich man's versions of Darren Sproles. I like both players but neither is AD.

Spiller has a player option, I think, at the end of 2014 so could choose to leave, and Fred is 33 and a FA at the end of 2014. I think the Bills are looking toward the possibility of CJ leaving for more money than the Bills are willing to pay. The RB FA market isn't great but he may be worth more to another team than he is to the Bills in their particular offense.

Edited by YoloinOhio