Amazon Fire TV?

bbb

I had asked about the best way to get Netflix to my TV a few months back. Roku was suggested, but it involved my network and I still haven't' had my computer guy over. He's got it pretty complex - I have a business and a secretary and all types of computers, printers, etc. hooked up to it, so I can't do it on my own - I'd rather not get netflix than eff up my business.

But, I got an email from amazon prime about this today, and see some news stories. They claim you just hook this into your computer and your TV.............Is this true - or is that only if you don't have a network?

It sounds promising:

http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-CL1130-Fire-TV/dp/B00CX5P8FC#

I've got one of those others and got the Amazon email too. The feature set and my viewing habits make this not compelling enough for me to want to switch to Amazon's new device. For people who don't have one, it looks more fully featured - although Amazon's movies & TV shows aren't choice for the most part.

My device works great. Plug and play. Connects to the phone, and wired to the router (my choice, but it's got WiFi too). Simple.

Go for it. What's a hunnerd bucks these days?

I was looking into getting a Roku so as to watch Netflix using my bro's account, specifically "Breaking Bad," and then my family and I were watching a movie on my Sony Blu-ray player in my family room and I saw/remembered that I could connect to Netflix and a bunch of other services through it. So I got on his account and I'm getting another Blu-ray player for my bedroom.

I was looking into getting a Roku so as to watch Netflix using my bro's account, specifically "Breaking Bad," and then my family and I were watching a movie on my Sony Blu-ray player in my family room and I saw/remembered that I could connect to Netflix and a bunch of other services through it. So I got on his account and I'm getting another Blu-ray player for my bedroom.

I have a Sony Blu-ray player. Does that mean I can get netflix with that, or do I still have to get involved with routers, networks and such?

Nanker - it's not the money at all. I just don't want to screw up my network.

Rolling Stone is very high on this thing:

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/5-reasons-why-you-should-be-excited-about-amazon-fire-tv-20140403?utm_source=dailynewsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter

See, I don't understand all of this, though. I have looked at Roku, Google Chromecast, others.

I want something that I can stream from my network to my TV. My network either being my HDD connected to my router and made in to a network drive or my laptop HDD, or tablet, or even phone.

I want to be able to throw any of that to my TV - from videos I take, to clips I download, to more.

I've had Roku for a couple of years now and it fine for the amount of TV I watch which isn't much. What I heard about Amazon is that it used voice recognition which that alone would make it worth it. Clicking through the search screen is a pain.

Edited by Chef Jim

I've had Roku for a couple of years now and it fine for the amount of TV I watch which isn't much. What I heard about Amazon is that it used voice recognition which that alone would make it worth it. Clicking through the search screen is a pain.

Unfortunately, it appears the FireTV's voice search capabilities don't work with Netflix -- only Amazon's content. That's a real downer.

I recently purchased the Logitech Harmony Smart Keyboard and this has made searching on my Smart TV or Apple TV much more user friendly...just a thought. Pretty good universal remote app on mobile devices too.

See, I don't understand all of this, though. I have looked at Roku, Google Chromecast, others.

I want something that I can stream from my network to my TV. My network either being my HDD connected to my router and made in to a network drive or my laptop HDD, or tablet, or even phone.

I want to be able to throw any of that to my TV - from videos I take, to clips I download, to more.

You can do all of that with Chromecast.

Unfortunately, it appears the FireTV's voice search capabilities don't work with Netflix -- only Amazon's content. That's a real downer.

I recently purchased the Logitech Harmony Smart Keyboard and this has made searching on my Smart TV or Apple TV much more user friendly...just a thought. Pretty good universal remote app on mobile devices too.

Well then. Back to the ole drawing board.

jboyst... I am pretty computer illiterate, when it comes to anything technical. If I am understanding what you are asking, all you have to do is run an HDMI cable between your tv and your computer. I use a laptop.

I do it all the time. I get the NFL Rewind package (for example) , and watch games on my 46" HD tv all the time...it isn't quite HD quality, but it is pretty damn good. Also just watch music video stuff off of youtube pretty frequently...hulu... Essentially, just using your TV as a 46" monitor. Of course, this is probably not what you are asking...

Edited by Buftex

jboyst... I am pretty computer illiterate, when it comes to anything technical. If I am understanding what you are asking, all you have to do is run an HDMI cable between your tv and your computer. I use a laptop.

I do it all the time. I get the NFL Rewind package (for example) , and watch games on my 46" HD tv all the time...it isn't quite HD quality, but it is pretty damn good. Also just watch music video stuff off of youtube pretty frequently...hulu... Essentially, just using your TV as a 46" monitor. Of course, this is probably not what you are asking...

I have no HD TV. Or HDMI. Hahaha. Cartoons do t warrant one. And that's all I watch TV for

I was thinking that one issue I was going to have is that the cord would look ugly or have to take a lot of work not to - to get from my computer to my desktop in my office...........But, I have a laptop that sits in the living room right by the TV and hasn't been touched in a year. So, I can get some good use out of it by simply connecting the HDMI cord between it and the TV? I have a wireless router, so I it can pick up what it needs that way?

Amazon's email says it does Netflix.

Yes, you can access Netflix from the Amazon device. But you can't search with your voice -- which is their major marketing angle with the new device.