Why I am a Bills fan...

Perched upon the shoulders of my father as we passed the fresh roasted peanut vendor walking into War Memorial Stadium for the first time...

well, much like you, it was my father taking me to war memorial stadium.. everything about it still is with me today.. cant compare it to anything and feel lucky having the memories, but sometimes wonder if it didnt set me up with a lifetime full of frustration!.. but still come back for more. Edited by dwight in philly

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pajamas.

In 1972, I got a pair of Buffalo Bills pajamas, with Bills slippers (they were made of simulated pig-skin!!!)... my older brother was a Celtics/Braves and Vikings/Bills fan, my dad was always more of a college sports fan (St Bonaventure, his alma-mater). I wasn't a super popular kid in the neighborhood, and my first name was Dennis...for whatever the reason, that name got me a lot of teasing from the Dave, Tom, Mike and Stevens in the neighborhood. I became known, eternally as "Dennis the Menace" or "Denis the Penis"...which I didn't really get...or just "Denise" by the less clever kids.

I hated the name. But the same year I got those pajamas, I was 7, the Bills had a rookie QB named Dennis Shaw. I thought it was the coolest thing. Though he was the NFL Offensive Rookie of the year in 1972, I don't remember anybody really thinking he was great, except for me. My dad got pissed, because a I drew the number "16" on the back of my pajama shirt, and wrote "Dennis Shaw" on the back...lets' just say, at 7, I didn't have the best penmanship! But, for whatever reason, sharing that name really sucked me in. I will admit, basketball was my favorite sport as kid...I could play it easier (didn't need anyone else), it was easier to understand, and I got to go to a Buffalo Braves game from time to time, thanks to the Dairy-lea Milk coupons. My dad would never let me go to War Memorial for a Bills game..so it was a little more elusive.

I finally got to go to my first game, the year Rich Stadium opened up, 1973. In fact, it was the first game ever played at the new stadium, a pre-season game against the Redskins. My sisters boyfriend, who played college football at UB, took me. He had a tryout with the Bills one summer (made it to the final cuts, but, ultimately never made the squad...a serious shoulder injury didn't help), and introduced me to John Leypoldt. Somehow they became buddies. Later introduced me to the "Electric Company" guys. It was pretty cool. From 1973-1979, I went to 1-3 games per season.

What sent me over the top though, in 1980...feeling empowered by my paper rout money (I had 3 of them...I was never a lazy kid!), my older brother and I purchased season tickets. I would go with him and his stoner buddies...I would drink like a fish (maybe puke sometimes) but always felt great when I went out there...loved the games. That opening day game of the 1980 season, when the Bills broke the Dolphins streak, is one of the 2 or 3 greatest events I have ever been to in my life...I have been hard-core in love with the Bills ever since...damn-it!

Edited by Buftex

Pajamas.

In 1972, I got a pair of Buffalo Bills pajamas, with Bills slippers (they were made of simulated pig-skin!!!)... my older brother was a Celtics/Braves and Vikings/Bills fan, my dad was always more of a college sports fan (St Bonaventure, his alma-mater). I wasn't a super popular kid in the neighborhood, and my first name was Dennis...for whatever the reason, that name got me a lot of teasing from the Dave, Tom, Mike and Stevens in the neighborhood. I became known, eternally as "Dennis the Menace" or "Denis the Penis"...which I didn't really get...or just "Denise" by the less clever kids.

I hated the name. But the same year I got those pajamas, I was 7, the Bills had a rookie QB named Dennis Shaw. I thought it was the coolest thing. Though he was the NFL Offensive Rookie of the year in 1972, I don't remember anybody really thinking he was great, except for me. My dad got pissed, because a I drew the number "16" on the back of my pajama shirt, and wrote "Dennis Shaw" on the back...lets' just say, at 7, I didn't have the best penmanship! But, for whatever reason, sharing that name really sucked me in. I will admit, basketball was my favorite sport as kid...I could play it easier (didn't need anyone else), it was easier to understand, and I got to go to a Buffalo Braves game from time to time, thanks to the Dairy-lea Milk coupons. My dad would never let me go to War Memorial for a Bills game..so it was a little more elusive.

I finally got to go to my first game, the year Rich Stadium opened up, 1973. My sisters boyfriend, who played college football at UB, took me. He had a tryout with the Bills one summer (made it to the final cuts, but, ultimately never made the squad...a serious shoulder injury didn't help), and introduced me to John Leypoldt. Somehow they became buddies. Later introduced me to the "Electric Company" guys. It was pretty cool. From 1973-1979, I went to 1-3 games per season.

What sent me over the top though, in 1980...feeling empowered by my paper rout money (I had 3 of them...I was never a lazy kid!), my older brother and I purchased season tickets. I would go with him and his stoner buddies...I would drink like a fish (maybe puke sometimes) but always felt great when I went out there...loved the games. That opening day game of the 1980 season, when the Bills broke the Dolphins streak, is one of the 2 or 3 greatest events I have ever been to in my life...I have been hard-core in love with the Bills ever since...damn-it!

that game , the dolphins 1980, was one of the greatest games ever for sure.. after being victimized throughout the 70's by them, it sure was a special day.. i was in the end zone of the roosevelt leaks TD that sealed it.. it is stuff like that is why we keep coming back for more..

Pajamas.

I finally got to go to my first game, the year Rich Stadium opened up, 1973. In fact, it was the first game ever played at the new stadium, a pre-season game against the Redskins. My sisters boyfriend, who played college football at UB, took me. He had a tryout with the Bills one summer (made it to the final cuts, but, ultimately never made the squad...a serious shoulder injury didn't help), and introduced me to John Leypoldt. Somehow they became buddies. Later introduced me to the "Electric Company" guys. It was pretty cool. From 1973-1979, I went to 1-3 games per season.

That was a great story. Thanks for that.

I'm older than the team -by a few years, but my 1st real memories were in '63 when my Dad and other men in the neighborhood were at the house and they were excited about how the Bills had just stolen Jackie Kemp from San Diego. I recall they were convinced he was the missing piece, now that Saban was coach and the defense and run offense with Carlton and Cookie was very good. We made the playoffs that year -sort of, as we tied with Boston in the East. Boston rolled us, though I dont recall much about that as the nation and this 8 year old grew up quick with the events from Dallas on November 22nd.. But by the start of the '64 Season, I was full out GO for the Bills and recall many of the games and QB shuffle with Daryl and Jack. That was an incredible year, starting in February with the Beatles on Sullivan, Clay beating the Big Bear for the Heavyweight title, then topped off with our Championship Season! I can still name every player on that team and most from '65. Was a Season ticket holder from '87 (yes, Todd Scholpy) through '94 before leaving WNY. Still haven't missed watching a game. #lifelong

Wow! I have to say, that's impressive fandom!

My earliest memory (mini Max Anderson swallowing his tongue) doesn't compete with yours

That Miami game breaking the streak in 1980 cemented things in for me. Not that I would have ever given up on the Bills, but as a kid (I was 10) they sucked so consistently that decade I definitely had times I doubted whether I wanted to endure a lifetime of that! Our house in West Seneca abutted US 219 and I was in the backyard helping my dad scrape the loose paint off our detached downspouts so we could repaint. I remember everything. Mostly sunny day, my dad had rigged up a sandblaster (SOB stuck me with the wire brush!) and to protect himself had donned a heavy green plastic rain parka, welding goggles, and ventilator mask making him look amazingly like an illegitimate Tusken raider/Jawa love child. But that's my dad.

I remember the old silver radio in the grass, trying to keep that AM station coming in and struggling to hear over the sand blaster. Just following the game while working, slowly realizing Buffalo wasn't going away like normal, interrupting my dad but he was sure they'd blow it, then just stopping work in the fourth listening to Fergy bringing them back and the defense hanging on by seemingly the skin of their teeth. Jumping around the yard like a nut after it was over, listening to the scene afterwards and finally hitting the TV watching them pass the goal post up the stadium. What an amazing feeling from that game and season.

The traffic jam on 219 lasted at least twice as long as usual. The minute people got stopped they were out of their cars dancing and celebrating with each other it took 'em a while to realize the road had cleared in front of them. Nobody cared, what a fantastic reward after the previous decade!

Go Bills!

Great thread idea Kirby!!!

I was 5 years old at my Grandfathers house in Van Nuys Cali...It was 1970...My favorite animal was always the Buffalo as a little kid...A game was on the TV and I saw the helmet...I said "Daddy...I like that team..." I did not really understand at the time that meant something to my father who, along with my mother and both sides of my family, grew up in Rochester...My fathers reaction?..."Oh Jesus...just great..." :lol:

I asked for and received a Buffalo Bills uniform for Christmas that year...I still have the helmet...It's beat up pretty bad...But it's one of my most prized possessions...Die hard...43 years and counting...Dad still does not understand or approve... ;)

Edited by KOKBILLS

I have to say that this has turned out better than I imagined. Thank you all for sharing your stories. I think sometimes that is important to put this into perspective. As much as we disagree on who should own the team, who we should draft, etc... I think that is phenomenal to see what we all have in common -that we love this team. Great stuff everybody!!

Edited by Kirby Jackson

A generation pass down for me... my grandfather, to my dad, to me!

Most memorable moment goes to....... Flutie and the Jags!! the Endzone run was something! i was a bills fan before that, but that was a game... :)

I have to say that this has turned out better than I imagined. Thank you all for sharing your stories. I think sometimes that is important to put this into perspective. As much as west disagree on who should own the team, who we should draft, etc... I think that is phenomenal to see what we all have in common -that we love this team. Great stuff everybody!!

I agree!

These are great stories. I wish I had a compelling one.

My parents were immigrants and knew nothing about football. I taught myself everything about the game (the rules, players, teams, strategy) basically by living in Rochester and watching Bills games on TV when I was 8 or 9 years old in the mid-80s.

When everything clicked and I figured the sport out, I fell I love with the bills right as they started on their rise (1987).

What's weird is that none of my parents or close friends were football fans; but it became like a religion for me.

That is pretty compelling, I must say. :thumbsup:

Got hooked in 1972? in a Monday night football game between the Bills and Raiders. Wasn't on TV and I listened to it on the radio. Go Joe Ferguson.

That was 1974. Up until the Super Bowl teams, the greatest Bills game ever!

That Miami game breaking the streak in 1980 cemented things in for me. Not that I would have ever given up on the Bills, but as a kid (I was 10) they sucked so consistently that decade I definitely had times I doubted whether I wanted to endure a lifetime of that! Our house in West Seneca abutted US 219 and I was in the backyard helping my dad scrape the loose paint off our detached downspouts so we could repaint. I remember everything. Mostly sunny day, my dad had rigged up a sandblaster (SOB stuck me with the wire brush!) and to protect himself had donned a heavy green plastic rain parka, welding goggles, and ventilator mask making him look amazingly like an illegitimate Tusken raider/Jawa love child. But that's my dad.

I remember the old silver radio in the grass, trying to keep that AM station coming in and struggling to hear over the sand blaster. Just following the game while working, slowly realizing Buffalo wasn't going away like normal, interrupting my dad but he was sure they'd blow it, then just stopping work in the fourth listening to Fergy bringing them back and the defense hanging on by seemingly the skin of their teeth. Jumping around the yard like a nut after it was over, listening to the scene afterwards and finally hitting the TV watching them pass the goal post up the stadium. What an amazing feeling from that game and season.

The traffic jam on 219 lasted at least twice as long as usual. The minute people got stopped they were out of their cars dancing and celebrating with each other it took 'em a while to realize the road had cleared in front of them. Nobody cared, what a fantastic reward after the previous decade!

Go Bills!

You should have went to the Bob Seger concert that night. What a friggin day and night that was a week or so into my college career!

My earliest memory was coming back from hunting and listening to the Bills on the car radio with my dad. OJ Simpson was in his prime, and listening to the games on the radio was thrilling. "He's at the 40, 45, 50, 45..."!

Fond memories.

in my grand fathers house in the sixties drinking his beer sitting in his seat, then we moved from Buffalo got older had season tickets '88-'96. drove 7hrs, more in the snow storms, like the one before the Win over the Raiders in the First of the series of AFC championships, 14 hour trek then the trek across piss creek to just make the kick off. Then the comeback, we sat in the stadium watching people flood back in during the end of the third quarter and into the fourth, we remained in the stadium for two hours after the game, best feeling ever......I am a fan.

I was a fan watching on tv as a kid but became a FAN after my first game w my dad! I was maybe 8 or ten when we went and saw them play on a snowy day against the pats I believe. They were losing and I was pouting that I wanted to go and there was like 30 seconds left. Dad said no we paid we are staying. Right after that ferguson three a hail marry to I think it was Lewis right in front of us to win the game!! It was amazing and thought my dad was god after that for making us stay!! That was when I became I love with the bills!!!!!

Got hooked in 1972? in a Monday night football game between the Bills and Raiders. Wasn't on TV and I listened to it on the radio. Go Joe Ferguson.

First game I ever attended, with a friend and my friend's dad who bought the ticket for me. I was 14 at the time (1973). It seemed OJ was always a shoestring tackle away from breaking a long one. Every time he touched the ball, the people around me were on their feet.

I have to say that this has turned out better than I imagined. Thank you all for sharing your stories. I think sometimes that is important to put this into perspective. As much as we disagree on who should own the team, who we should draft, etc... I think that is phenomenal to see what we all have in common -that we love this team. Great stuff everybody!!

i agree kirby! sometimes it gets a bit heated on here, (for whatever reason) and i am guilty as anyone, but we all come here for the same reason, our passion for the bills.. i could share more, as i was 8 in 1960 and have been a fan since the inception, but i sincerely enjoy reading all the other's stories on WHY we are a bills fan..

I was a fan watching on tv as a kid but became a FAN after my first game w my dad! I was maybe 8 or ten when we went and saw them play on a snowy day against the pats I believe. They were losing and I was pouting that I wanted to go and there was like 30 seconds left. Dad said no we paid we are staying. Right after that ferguson three a hail marry to I think it was Lewis right in front of us to win the game!! It was amazing and thought my dad was god after that for making us stay!! That was when I became I love with the bills!!!!!

While you didn't say what year that was, I'm thinking it was Roland Hooks who came down with the ball as the gun sounded! He made a full-out, horizontal, fingertip catch of about 35 yrds the play before the HM to set it up. Dancin' in the streets after that one!

Because my first wife (RIP) worked in an Aetna insurance office downtown that Harry Jacobs sold insurance from in the off-season and I have a signed picture of #52.

#52? Edgar Chandler?

Harry began and ended his career with the Pats*, but Saban lured him to Buffalo in '63 and he wore #64 for us as 'QB of the Defense'. He later became a Christian motivational speaker and spoke at one of my Company's function. Also chatted with him @ the 50th Anniversary bash in the NF Casino. A fine man and I believe he's made Buffalo his home.

My family used to have gameday parties at our house every Sunday if we didn't go to the games. They would have friends and relatives over. I just remember everyone always being so happy on Sundays. These were the Super Bowl years so there was a lot to cheer about.

My most memorable Bills moment was in I believe 1992. My dad got his firms tickets on the fifty yard line 10 rows up. I was 9 and my brother was 11. He was a huge OJ Simpson fan and I liked whoever my brother liked. OJ was doing a sideline interview and my brother was screaming that he was the greatest and waving at OJ trying to get his attention. Well it worked and OJ looked up, smiled and gave my brother a big thumbs up. It was cold and he had black gloves on. Years later when he was at trial, I was convinced that the infamous glove was the same one that he wore that day in 1992.

Edited by KikoSeeBallKikoGetBall