Bills Pre-Draft Visits

iommi

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ross Cockrell was the DB who Duke had on Mike Evans during the bowl game this year. He had a distinct size disadvantage (5 inches in height, 40 lbs in weight) and held him to 4 catches for 72 yards and 0 TDs. And forced Evans into 2 personal foul penalties in the 1st half.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/02/24/3651508/after-a-rough-start-at-duke-cockrell.html

Edited by YoloinOhio

This is has been brought up and I have no idea what the Bills plan is bringing him in other than maybe evaluating for a trade down scenario at 41. But Roby's biggest asset is he has elite speed. I believe he could be a very good NFL corner with some good coaching. You can't teach speed. I think he ends up at corner for someone and saftey would maybe not be his best position. He has a CB mentality. I think he could do it. Played in a terrible scheme in college and his performance this year jaded me only because I am a die-hard Buckeye fan. Not from a talent perspective. I do think there is something missing and it is coachable. I would prefer not to watch him in a Bills uni as he "develops" but think he has potential at corner. JMO.

Good thoughts, thanks. Hopefully the interviewing process will provide valuable info on these issues. I have heard that teams like to bring in guys if there are lingering questions. Could also be some pre-draft shenanigans to make someone think they could go corner based on the early season issues we had.

Chris Brown@ChrisBrownBills 5m

#Bills hosting pre-draft visitors Clemson DB Bashaud Breeland & Duke CB Ross Cockrell. Details here. http://ow.ly/voOxH Just in case anyone can't get to the link. Interesting on all the DBs. Jauron-like.

Also-

Joe Buscaglia@JoeBuscaglia 1m

#Bills listed Breeland as a safety in the media advisory

Cockrell is interesting, although I don't know how high or low he'll be drafted. I don't really know anything about Breeland.

To me this sounds like Ron Brooks & Da'Norris Searcy are being put on notice.

It's so hard to tell what is really going on. They are not going to tip the cards as to who they rally want. They bring in all of these guys maybe leaning towards defense, and then they'll draft an offensive player. It's hard to tell with all the smoke and mirrors pre draft games.

It's so hard to tell what is really going on. They are not going to tip the cards as to who they rally want. They bring in all of these guys maybe leaning towards defense, and then they'll draft an offensive player. It's hard to tell with all the smoke and mirrors pre draft games.

I agree it is hard to really know their strategy for bringing in most guys with the exception of when it comes to the 1st round pick. In each of the last 4 years, the Bills 1st round pick made a pre-draft visit to OBD. So if they don't bring in say, Evans, that might mean something but I would be surprised if they didn't even interview him.

Would be fully on board with Cockrell in the 4th-5th, supposedly good leader and was thinking he would put Brooks on notice.

At the very least another special teams guy who could be more.

Know alot of people arent on board with any DB's being picked, but I fully expect a mid rounder. Gotta remember Robey might not work well in this scheme, hope I'm wrong though

I agree it is hard to really know their strategy for bringing in most guys with the exception of when it comes to the 1st round pick. In each of the last 4 years, the Bills 1st round pick made a pre-draft visit to OBD. So if they don't bring in say, Evans, that might mean something but I would be surprised if they didn't even interview him.

Just keep in mind for the first time Buddy isn't running the show this year and Whaley *may* not have a need to bring the projected pick in. I think the chance is Whaley will, but there is a difference this year.

Ross Cockrell was the DB who Duke had on Mike Evans during the bowl game this year. He had a distinct size disadvantage (5 inches in height, 40 lbs in weight) and held him to 4 catches for 72 yards and 0 TDs. And forced Evans into 2 personal foul penalties in the 1st half.

http://www.newsobser...e-cockrell.html

Interesting. While that's not exactly shutting him down, it's definitely a cut or two below Evans' season averages. I continue to think/hope the Bills are targeting Evans. It would definitely be a cool post-draft story if they drafted both Evans and Cockrell.

Maybe thinking safety ala Byrd?

Word is they want him for the CB/S position a la Aaron Williams, expecting him to add some bulk.

And what would have been your assessment of Graham or Witten or Gates after year 1? Look, I have no idea if Gragg will ever amount to anything, but given his injury and the possibilities he has with his athleticism, it would seem short-sighted to immediately declare him "camp fodder"....

Gragg was targeted 6 times inside of 10 yards at PIT in Week 10, caught 4, dropped 2, caught one for a TD.

Other than that, at JAX Week 15 he caught one pass for 28 yard gain. That's it.

Word is they want him for the CB/S position a la Aaron Williams, expecting him to add some bulk.

Gragg was targeted 6 times inside of 10 yards at PIT in Week 10, caught 4, dropped 2, caught one for a TD.

Very interesting.

I wasn't arguing for saying that Gragg "is" some dynamic playmaking TE, but rather he has all the physical capabilities to be one and dealt with an injury issue in his Rookie year, so to close the book on him in his first year would be short-sighted. For some perspective: Jimmy Graham: 2010: 31 receptions, 356 yards, with 5 TDs; Jason Witten: 2003: 35 receptions, 347 yards, 1 TD; Julius Thomas: 2011: 1 reception, 5 yards, with 0 TD; Jordan Cameron: 2011: 6 receptions, 33 yards, with 0 TDs; Jermichael Finley: 2008: 6 receptions, 74 yards, 1 TD; Tony Gonzalez (1st round pick): 1997: 33 receptions, 368 yards, with 2 TDs; Antonio Gates: 2003: 24 receptions, 389 receptions, with 2 TDs.....generally Rookie Seasons reveal little about the potential of a player, from a fan's perspective anyways, their coaches and GMs tend to know and see more...or in some cases, a change of HC makes all the difference, consider:

Vernon Davis (8th overall): 20 receptions, 265 yards, with 3 TDs

Gragg ran a 4.5 40 at the Combine and had a 10'4" braod jump with a 37.5 inch vertical and 18 reps on the bench....he had injury issues at Arkansas and was basically still recovering when he came onto the BILLS and then had to try and break into the depth chart...what do the BILLS have? I really don't know, and neither do any of us. The larger point here is if you want a fast, pass-catching TE with good athletic ability on the BILLS, you've already got him.....and given the TEs on this team and the type of Offense the BILLS run, their division, and the weather of home games, Gragg is probably the abberration to the rule of Buffalo TEs, not the standard....all of the above information was to provide some perspective, that Rookie TEs rarely, if ever, come in and produce right away, they generally take a year or two....and except for where I mentioned them specifically, the rest of those TEs were drafted in the 3rd or 4th round, both long ago and recent favorites....food for thought.

FYI - the list of 2013 Pre-Draft Visits to OBD

Player Pos. College Ht Wt 40

Geno Smith QB West Virginia 6'2" 218 4.59

Matt Barkley QB USC 6'3" 227 4.90

Mike Glennon QB NC State 6'7" 225 4.94

E.J. Manuel QB FSU 6'5" 237 4.65

Tyler Wilson QB Arkansas 6'2" 215 4.95

Tyler Bray QB Tennessee 6'6" 232 5.05

Matt Scott QB Arizona 6'2" 213 4.69

Landry Jones QB Oklahoma 6'4" 225 5.11

Jeff Tuel QB Washington State 6'3" 218 4.60

Kyle Juszczyk FB Harvard 6'1" 248 4.71

Cordarrelle Patterson WR Tenn 6'2" 216 4.42

Justin Hunter WR Tenn 6'4" 196 4.44

Da'Rick Rogers WR Tenn Tech 6'2" 217 4.52

Ryan Swope WR Texas A&M 6'0" 205 4.34

Zach Rogers WR Tenn 6'0" 182 4.46

Russell Shepard WR LSU 6'1" 196 4.46

Vance McDonald TE Rice 6'4" 267 4.69

Ryan Griffin TE Connecticut 6'6" 261 4.87

Dion Jordan OLB Oregon 6'6" 248 4.60

Barkevious Mingo OLB LSU 6'4" 241 4.58

Jarvis Jones OLB Georgia 6'2" 245 4.92

Alec Ogletree ILB Georgia 6'2" 242 4.70

Kevin Minter ILB LSU 6'0" 246 4.67

Jamie Collins ILB Southern Miss 6'3" 250 4.64

Ja'Gared Davis ILB SMU 6'0" 238 4.78

Kenny Vaccaro S Texas 6'0" 214 4.63

Phillip Thomas S Fresno State 6'1" 208 4.65

Cooper Taylor S Richmond 6'5" 228 4.49

Jonathan Meeks S Clemson 6'0" 209 4.55

Malcolm Bronson S McNeese State 5'11" 187

2013 UFA Signees

Edited by Nanker

Joe Buscaglia@JoeBuscaglia 2m

#Bills are hosting UNC TE Eric Ebron, Oregon State DE Scott Crichton and LSU HB Jeremy Hill on pre-draft visits today.

FYI - the list of 2013 Pre-Draft Visits to OBD

Player Pos. College Ht Wt 40

Geno Smith QB West Virginia 6'2" 218 4.59

Matt Barkley QB USC 6'3" 227 4.90

Mike Glennon QB NC State 6'7" 225 4.94

E.J. Manuel QB FSU 6'5" 237 4.65

Tyler Wilson QB Arkansas 6'2" 215 4.95

Tyler Bray QB Tennessee 6'6" 232 5.05

Matt Scott QB Arizona 6'2" 213 4.69

Landry Jones QB Oklahoma 6'4" 225 5.11

Jeff Tuel QB Washington State 6'3" 218 4.60

Kyle Juszczyk FB Harvard 6'1" 248 4.71

Cordarrelle Patterson WR Tenn 6'2" 216 4.42

Justin Hunter WR Tenn 6'4" 196 4.44

Da'Rick Rogers WR Tenn Tech 6'2" 217 4.52

Ryan Swope WR Texas A&M 6'0" 205 4.34

Zach Rogers WR Tenn 6'0" 182 4.46

Russell Shepard WR LSU 6'1" 196 4.46

Vance McDonald TE Rice 6'4" 267 4.69

Ryan Griffin TE Connecticut 6'6" 261 4.87

Dion Jordan OLB Oregon 6'6" 248 4.60

Barkevious Mingo OLB LSU 6'4" 241 4.58

Jarvis Jones OLB Georgia 6'2" 245 4.92

Alec Ogletree ILB Georgia 6'2" 242 4.70

Kevin Minter ILB LSU 6'0" 246 4.67

Jamie Collins ILB Southern Miss 6'3" 250 4.64

Ja'Gared Davis ILB SMU 6'0" 238 4.78

Kenny Vaccaro S Texas 6'0" 214 4.63

Phillip Thomas S Fresno State 6'1" 208 4.65

Cooper Taylor S Richmond 6'5" 228 4.49

Jonathan Meeks S Clemson 6'0" 209 4.55

Malcolm Bronson S McNeese State 5'11" 187

2013 UFA Signees

Interesting... no Kiko, Woods or Goodwin 3 of the top 4 picks.

Joe Buscaglia@JoeBuscaglia 2m

#Bills are hosting UNC TE Eric Ebron, Oregon State DE Scott Crichton and LSU HB Jeremy Hill on pre-draft visits today.

Interesting... no Kiko, Woods or Goodwin 3 of the top 4 picks.

No, but as I mentioned someplace else, this thread or another, each of the last 4 years the BILLS 1st Round Draft pick DID visit OBD in a Pre-Draft visit...so recent history would suggest that the BILLS 1st Round Draft pick, at whatever number that may be, will be visiting OBD at some point prior to the Draft....

Wow, he is huge.

Same size as LeBron lol. Im the same size as Niklas and I am a basketball player so maybe he is athletic. Never really thought about this prospect.

Edited by Agent 91