Bills Pre-Draft Visits

iommi

Don't get me wrong. I like Chandler. but he plays smaller than his size and isn't the type of TE that is a mismatch like Gronk (not saying TN has to be Gronk).

I like Chandler too as a #2 TE but Niklas, Chandler and Moeaki sound like a good trio to me. Smith goes bye bye and Gragg to the PS.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is why you dont move up in the draft especially this year...just too much talent available in the second round

I really like Ebron but there should be a couple really good TEs available in the second round this year

Edited by Max997

I like Chandler too as a #2 TE but Niklas, Chandler and Moeaki sound like a good trio to me. Smith goes bye bye and Gragg to the PS.

I like the sound of that line-up.

I know I have stated that I don't think TE is as dire of a need as other positions, but I would be fine with drafting Niklas. I would just prefer to not draft a TE in the first round.

I don't think he will be significantly better than Scott Chandler as a pro. He won't make the offense much better (if at all). I really hope they don't select him. And leading the league in "pretty good Tight Ends" isn't that thrilling to me. How about getting other positions up to a decent talent level before stockpiling all these TE's?

NIklas is lumbering, and not very athletic compared to Ebron or Jenkins.

Edited by Marauder'sMicro

I don't think he will be significantly better than Scott Chandler as a pro. He won't make the offense much better (if at all). I really hope they don't select him. And leading the league in "pretty good Tight Ends" isn't that thrilling to me. How about getting other positions up to a decent talent level before stockpiling all these TE's?

It might surprise you to learn that Niklas almost doubled ASJ's yards per catch:

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/46280/349/out-of-the-box

He's definitely an athletic tier below the top guys (Ebron, Amaro, etc.), but I fell like his blocking would make him a real asset. Probably more of a Heath Miller than a Jason Witten, but IMO definitely worth it in the 2nd.

So the question becomes....what do you want in a TE?

- Do you want a very big WR type more in the H Back role who will cause mismatch problems but will probably get beat a lot on running plays?

- Do you want a legit sized TE who can be "open when he is covered" and provide a security blanket for our young QB.....knowing that all EJ has to do is get it in the general vicinity....AND be able to take on a DE or two on blitz pick up and not get rag dolled?

It all depends on what your looking for in a TE.....and what the scheme is going to be of the offense.

I personally think Hacket wants to run the ball....a LOT.....keep the chains moving....not put everything on EJ's shoulders.....convert first downs.....pro long drives....score points. If we want to maul people in the running game we need the monsters to be able to do that.

I don't they would be "stockpiling" at TE - he would considered be an upgrade over Chandler who would likely become the #2 TE. They won't keep everyone on the 53. He fits this offense very well, so should make it better. Marrone and Hackett don't really use an Ebron-type TE in their offense - maybe they can and maybe they will (he is scheduled to visit if I'm not mistaken so clearly there is an interest) but the hybrid WR/TE isn't the best fit for every offensive scheme and if they aren't going to use a TE to his fullest potential there is no sense in spending a 1st rounder to get him, which I think is what it would take. JMO. Edited by YoloinOhio

So the question becomes....what do you want in a TE?

- Do you want a very big WR type more in the H Back role who will cause mismatch problems but will probably get beat a lot on running plays?

- Do you want a legit sized TE who can be "open when he is covered" and provide a security blanket for our young QB.....knowing that all EJ has to do is get it in the general vicinity....AND be able to take on a DE or two on blitz pick up and not get rag dolled?

It all depends on what your looking for in a TE.....and what the scheme is going to be of the offense.

I personally think Hacket wants to run the ball....a LOT.....keep the chains moving....not put everything on EJ's shoulders.....convert first downs.....pro long drives....score points. If we want to maul people in the running game we need the monsters to be able to do that.

I'm trying to figure out why people want to take a position that isn't a strength, has pretty much never been a big feature of the team, and turn it into the focus of the current team? I want them to get a better TE, but I haven't heard them talk about using 2 TE sets, it's all message board daydreaming.

I think it's Patriot envy.

I also think that if anyone is gonna know how to shut down 2 TE's it's gonna be the Pats, so it's probably not the best way to beat them. I think they should concentrate on getting the best playmakers they can (not force a 2 TE set offense with guys that aren't stellar TE's), and figure out how to use them.

I don't they would be "stockpiling" at TE - he would considered be an upgrade over Chandler who would likely become the #2 TE. They won't keep everyone on the 53. He fits this offense very well, so should make it better. Marrone and Hackett don't really use an Ebron-type TE in their offense - maybe they can and maybe they will (he is scheduled to visit if I'm not mistaken so clearly there is an interest) but the hybrid WR/TE isn't the best fit for every offensive scheme and if they aren't going to use a TE to his fullest potential there is no sense in spending a 1st rounder to get him, which I think is what it would take. JMO.

I was joking, because people were daydreaming about Moeaki, Niklas, and Chandler. I don't think those guys are good enough to become the focus of an offense.

Edited by Marauder'sMicro

this is a player that i am very intrigued by. to all the folks wondering why the team would want a guy in this mold to add to the team, i think it is because if this guy is what i hear most people saying he is, he can not only stay on the field, but be a contributor in both the run and the pass. we've been hearing the word versatility a lot from the dougs lately. and also, we have heard whaly say "big wins" quite a bit, and this guy is definitely big.

I like him but he should have stayed at ND for another year. As of the last time I saw him play he would be a tier below Eifert and Rudolf in their last years.

Those guys are very good and Niklas maybe as good or better but he isn't right now.

I would say yes in the 3rd but not sooner.

He is a capable blocker and showed a lot of potential catching the ball, just don't expect him to light it up right away.

That's cool, not many rookies do.

I like him but he should have stayed at ND for another year. As of the last time I saw him play he would be a tier below Eifert and Rudolf in their last years.

Those guys are very good and Niklas maybe as good or better but he isn't right now.

I would say yes in the 3rd but not sooner.

He is a capable blocker and showed a lot of potential catching the ball, just don't expect him to light it up right away.

That's cool, not many rookies do.

That is pretty much how I feel about him.

He will be gone by the Bills 3rd pick anyway.

big fan of Niklas. Obviously biassed because I am also an Irish fan but he filled in for Tyler Eifert very well and is only scratching the surface of his potential. I'd love to get Mike Evans in the first then Niklas in the 2nd or 3rd

My sediments exactly! Would love this draft. Morgan Moses in the second then Niklas.

Yep he is 6'2" 215. He ran a 4.39-4.43 at his pro day. If I recall, basketball was his first sport. The reason I see him as a poor man's Woods is that I think he is more of a possession WR but didn't put up anywhere near the numbers of Woods and for the Big 10, he played in a very aggressive offense.

40 inch vertical as well...

Huh? Last college season:

Cody Lattimore: 72 catches, 1096 yards, 9 TDs, 15.2 yards/rec

Robert Woods: 76 catches, 846 yards, 11 TDs, 11.1 yards/rec

Seems like he put up better numbers than Woods, not sure what you are looking at to say he put up "no where near the numbers" Wood put up...

Edited by matter2003

I'm trying to figure out why people want to take a position that isn't a strength, has pretty much never been a big feature of the team, and turn it into the focus of the current team? I want them to get a better TE, but I haven't heard them talk about using 2 TE sets, it's all message board daydreaming.

I think it's Patriot envy.

I also think that if anyone is gonna know how to shut down 2 TE's it's gonna be the Pats, so it's probably not the best way to beat them. I think they should concentrate on getting the best playmakers they can (not force a 2 TE set offense with guys that aren't stellar TE's), and figure out how to use them.

To be honest, the reason why I want an upgrade at Tight End is because it's a position where it has recently helped young QBs. It's nice to have a big target over the middle of the field that can take the ball an extra 3-5 yards. It's the reason why the Colts drafted Coby Fleener to help with Andrew Luck. Notably, it really, really helped in the system most like what the Bills tried to run last year: Chip Kelly's offense for the Eagles. People can't seem to shut up about how Zack Ertz really helped the team and how excited they are to see him develop.

Right now we have Chandler, who doesn't seem to have great chemistry with EJ and gets stopped pretty much exactly where he catches the ball and Moeaki, where we have no idea what we have yet. It would be nice to have some insurance.

To be honest, the reason why I want an upgrade at Tight End is because it's a position where it has recently helped young QBs. It's nice to have a big target over the middle of the field that can take the ball an extra 3-5 yards. It's the reason why the Colts drafted Coby Fleener to help with Andrew Luck. Notably, it really, really helped in the system most like what the Bills tried to run last year: Chip Kelly's offense for the Eagles. People can't seem to shut up about how Zack Ertz really helped the team and how excited they are to see him develop.

Right now we have Chandler, who doesn't seem to have great chemistry with EJ and gets stopped pretty much exactly where he catches the ball and Moeaki, where we have no idea what we have yet. It would be nice to have some insurance.

But in all due respect, Chandler is just a 2 year contract and you're leaving out Gragg . People dump on Gragg just b/c he was a 7th round pick but if you look up his Combine numbers they are stellar. He slipped due to injury concerns, but he's come through those concerns and at the end of last season you started to get a glimpse of what the kid could do, he's a fast, seam-stretching TE that the Offense would be looking to employ in certain situtaions...and TEs rarely make an immediate impact....I dare you to name a first round TE that has done that in the last 10 years??? Gronk was a 2nd round TE, other than him, can you provide another?? Witten, Gates, J. Thomas, Jordan Cameron...all 3rd and 4th Round TEs, even the "all-powerful" Graham that so many on this board love (whom I don't think would fit in Buffalo's style of Offense and play given their Division) was a 3rd round TE and most of those guys were unknown until their 2nd or 3rd YEAR with the team.....keep all that in mind. I would like Niklas at the right spot in the Draft b/c I too believe he has the skills, physical body type, and college resume to demonstrate he can be the player who blocks and catches and keeps the key word of, versatility on the field.