Evans or Ebron?

e vs e  

223 members have voted

1. 1. who would you draft

• evans
    • ebron

Chandler resigning tells me that this is not going to happen. Chandler is roughly league average in terms of offensive production. We're not resigning him and bringing in Moeaki to take a TE at #9.

Look how good NE was when they had Hernandez and Gronkowski? It's a mimic league, we should do the same. Ebron is a playmaker pure and simple. We need more weapons on the Offense. Give Manuel a chance and get Ebron to OBD stat!

Edited by mattsox

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think many Bills fans voting for Evans (the voting majority so far) are simply not doing their homework on him. They only see what they want to see and they either don't know about his flaws, or aren't taking them seriously. In this "once in a decade" premium draft class, that #9 pick should be used on a prospect who is projected as a near flawless and/or elite player as possible. The Bills aren't picking high enough for the "lock" prospects, but that doesn't mean that it's ok for them to roll the dice on a "boom or bust" prospect like Mike Evans just because of his size. I've taken the time to provide links describing Evans' boom/bust profile. If after reading them you still want the Bills to pick him then so be it, I'm glad you aren't the Bills GM…

http://www.nfl.com/n...from-extra-year

Gill Brandt -…"a big issue I have with Evans is that he's not a good route runner. He often pushes off on his defender and gains a big advantage with offensive pass interference."

http://www.behindthe...ects-mike-evans

"In the right offense I believe Evans could be a solid player in the NFL for a while. That offense however has to be one that manufactures space between Evans and his defender so he can use his size to gain YAC. Relying on him to get separation in a 1-on-1 match-up would be a mistake. In the NFL he is going to need more than just great hands and great size to be a top caliber player.

http://nosebleednote...bust-potential/

"Projecting an event in which the result takes years to come to fruition is not easy. Evans will need to underwhelm in proportion to where he is drafted, likely in the first 16 picks, to be labeled a bust.

His inability to run NFL-style routes well, his inflated statistics due to such a large size gap from the competition, and his lack of strong, sturdy hands are clearly leading him on that track."

Now, the reason I like Eric Ebron so much is that he is projected to be an elite at his position. This article has a draft analyst stating he's the cleanest TE prospect since Vernon Davis…

http://fansided.com/...n-davis/#!AFb4h

Or is it possible that certain people are giving too much weight to the opinion of bloggers like Steel34D that wrote articles months ago.

Everyone expected Evans combine 40 to be around 4.6 prior to the combine. When Evans ran an official 4.53 and unofficial 4.47 it shed a new light on his film. Maybe he is actually fast and just runs effortlessly thats why he doesn't look fast on film when he is blowing past his defenders. It never looks like he is running that hard but somehow he gets open. Steel34D may have changed his tune since then and added speed to his description.

"He often pushes off on his defender and gains a big advantage with offensive pass interference." Then he certainly is NFL ready in that regard. Since, if you haven't noticed the top notch WRs have no problem pushing their defenders away.

I'm not sure if "NoseBleedNotebook" is writing in a different language and then that is being poorly translated to English but I think NoseBleed is saying that "if Evans performers poorly then he will be labeled a bust". Well, thats a shocker!!! Run!!! Run!!!

Also I'm not sure if being bigger than your defenders inflates your stats. I think that is just a physical advantage that allows you to catch the ball easier. So its a strange twist of logic to hold Evans size against him. That is like saying an elite the Tackle prospect has an inflated draft status because he is so big. As Whaley says "If all things are equal then I'll take the bigger guy." Its an advantage.

Most people don't like Evans solely because of his size. People that didn't watch Evans play on Saturdays believe that people that like Evans like him solely because of his size. People that watched Evans on Saturday saw a big, fast, WR with good hands that was the primary receiving option. He was productive in a conference with many of the best defenders and coaches in the country; they couldn't stop him. That's why people like Evans, he was an ultra productive WR that has the size and strength that translates well to the NFL. Not just simply because Evans is 6'5", that would be foolish.

Edited by Why So Serious?

I think many Bills fans voting for Evans (the voting majority so far) are simply not doing their homework on him. They only see what they want to see and they either don't know about his flaws, or aren't taking them seriously. In this "once in a decade" premium draft class, that #9 pick should be used on a prospect who is projected as a near flawless and/or elite player as possible. The Bills aren't picking high enough for the "lock" prospects, but that doesn't mean that it's ok for them to roll the dice on a "boom or bust" prospect like Mike Evans just because of his size. I've taken the time to provide links describing Evans' boom/bust profile. If after reading them you still want the Bills to pick him then so be it, I'm glad you aren't the Bills GM…

http://www.nfl.com/n...from-extra-year

Gill Brandt -…"a big issue I have with Evans is that he's not a good route runner. He often pushes off on his defender and gains a big advantage with offensive pass interference."

http://www.behindthe...ects-mike-evans

"In the right offense I believe Evans could be a solid player in the NFL for a while. That offense however has to be one that manufactures space between Evans and his defender so he can use his size to gain YAC. Relying on him to get separation in a 1-on-1 match-up would be a mistake. In the NFL he is going to need more than just great hands and great size to be a top caliber player.

http://nosebleednote...bust-potential/

"Projecting an event in which the result takes years to come to fruition is not easy. Evans will need to underwhelm in proportion to where he is drafted, likely in the first 16 picks, to be labeled a bust.

His inability to run NFL-style routes well, his inflated statistics due to such a large size gap from the competition, and his lack of strong, sturdy hands are clearly leading him on that track."

Now, the reason I like Eric Ebron so much is that he is projected to be an elite at his position. This article has a draft analyst stating he's the cleanest TE prospect since Vernon Davis…

http://fansided.com/...n-davis/#!AFb4h

PEOPLE ARE ONLY SEEING WHAT THEY WANT TO SEE. LET ME PROVIDE YOU WITH MY CHERRY PICKED SOURCES.

....from crappy blogs.

PEOPLE ARE ONLY SEEING WHAT THEY WANT TO SEE. LET ME PROVIDE YOU WITH MY CHERRY PICKED SOURCES.

....from crappy blogs.

It's basically the same garbage Alshon Jeffery went through...Ignore the ridiculous production, huge frame, long arms, good vertical, and the fact that he basically catches everything thrown his way...Lets concentrate on the fact that he's not perfect, and does not get 5 yards of separation on every route...Even though he's only 20 years old, has not received one single day of NFL coaching, and played with the most unorthodox College QB most folks have ever seen...Not to mention the fact that NFL WR's are going to be covered by the best in the business, so they need to be able to catch the ball while being closely covered anyway...I told folks two years ago the ability to catch the ball while closely covered would make Jeffery a Pro Bowl WR...I see that same ability in Evans...

I'm not even saying Evans is a sure thing...I did think Jeffery was though...And I think I was right about that...I do think Evans has all the tools he needs to be very, very special in the NFL...I think his upside is in the Brandon Marshall area, and the Bills could REALLY use a WR like that...So to me at least Evans is 100% worth the gamble...Because it's a gamble on greatness...Not just goodness... B-)

....from crappy blogs.

Gil Brant is one of the most well respected evaluators there are. I might think about taking the risk and drafting Evans in the second round, but I wouldn't think about drafting a player with such serious questions in his skills at #9. Especially at a position that has accounted for so many first round busts.

BTW, none of these links even touched on his maturity issues. His getting upset and acting out on the sideline comes across as a kid throwing a tantrum and who has some growing up to do. He's 20, I get that he IS still a kid. However, I need a much more mature player that's not going to take a couple of years just to grow up mentally with as high of a pick the Bills are picking at in the first round.

Gil Brant is one of the most well respected evaluators there are. I might think about taking the risk and drafting Evans in the second round, but I wouldn't think about drafting a player with such serious questions in his skills at #9. Especially at a position that has accounted for so many first round busts.

BTW, none of these links even touched on his maturity issues. His getting upset and acting out on the sideline comes across as a kid throwing a tantrum and who has some growing up to do. He's 20, I get that he IS still a kid. However, I need a much more mature player that's not going to take a couple of years just to grow up mentally with as high of a pick the Bills are picking at in the first round.

Awesome Crusade Bro!

It's basically the same garbage Alshon Jeffery went through...Ignore the ridiculous production, huge frame, long arms, good vertical, and the fact that he basically catches everything thrown his way...Lets concentrate on the fact that he's not perfect, and does not get 5 yards of separation on every route...Even though he's only 20 years old, has not received one single day of NFL coaching, and played with the most unorthodox College QB most folks have ever seen...Not to mention the fact that NFL WR's are going to be covered by the best in the business, so they need to be able to catch the ball while being closely covered anyway...I told folks two years ago the ability to catch the ball while closely covered would make Jeffery a Pro Bowl WR...I see that same ability in Evans...

I'm not even saying Evans is a sure thing...I did think Jeffery was though...And I think I was right about that...I do think Evans has all the tools he needs to be very, very special in the NFL...I think his upside is in the Brandon Marshall area, and the Bills could REALLY use a WR like that...So to me at least Evans is 100% worth the gamble...Because it's a gamble on greatness...Not just goodness... B-)

I was with you on Jeffery. The Mystery is Tori Gurley I thought he would be a late round, UDFA steal that could develop. He should have stayed in college another year. Maybe he'll eventually get a crack like our friend Da'Rick.

The problem is that Evans may need that two year incubator time and Bills fans will be calling him a bust before he contributes in the second half of 2015.

I like that and agree with Evans you're drafting a chance at Greatness.

With Ebron your drafting a chance and goodness. He is not the next Jimmy Graham.

Edited by Why So Serious?

The problem is that Evans may need that two year incubator time and Bills fans will be calling him a bust before he contributes in the second half of 2015.

Agreed...I don't think Evans is plug-and-play whatsoever...Going to take the patience a lot of Bills fans don't have the stomach for...But he should be able to contribute in small ways in the meantime...Hopefully in the red one... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

. He is not the next Jimmy Graham.

Agreed...I don't think Evans is plug-and-play whatsoever...Going to take the patience a lot of Bills fans don't have the stomach for...BUt he should be able ton contribute in small ways in the meantime...Hopefully in the red one... B-)

At nine he probably should be.

ps i like the kid alot after Watkins .But I am looking for a solid starter, unless we can trade down and get another second rounder where the gems might be found .

OK so one reputable source and 3 crappy blogs. 1 outta 4 ain't bad

What a 20 year old kid has trouble controlling his emotions?!? THIS IS UNHEARD OF. Not only should he not be drafted, He should be banned from life for life!

What a 20 year old kid has trouble controlling his emotions?!? THIS IS UNHEARD OF. Not only should he not be drafted, He should be banned from life for life!

:w00t: 2014 Hall of Famer Andre Reed says hello!

Agreed...I don't think Evans is plug-and-play whatsoever...Going to take the patience a lot of Bills fans don't have the stomach for...But he should be able to contribute in small ways in the meantime...Hopefully in the red one... B-)

That's why I like Evans as the pick. He doesn't have to be our go to receiver right away. If he simply is a red zone threat that catches 8 tds, it's well worth it. Also, Woods and SJ are great route runners so they would be great teachers for Evans.

I was with you on Jeffery. The Mystery is Tori Gurley I thought he would be a late round, UDFA steal that could develop. He should have stayed in college another year. Maybe he'll eventually get a crack like our friend Da'Rick.

I like that and agree with Evans you're drafting a chance at Greatness.

With Ebron your drafting a chance and goodness. He is not the next Jimmy Graham.

In fairness, Jimmy Graham wasn't Jimmy Graham or else he won't have been drafted in the 3rd round.

Gil Brandt! What does he know? Forty years in the NFL! So what? He's not even in the NFL anymore!

Sorry I couldn't resist after getting blasted by some for suggesting people with NFL experience might be better at evaluating talent than fans.

That's why I like Evans as the pick. He doesn't have to be our go to receiver right away. If he simply is a red zone threat that catches 8 tds, it's well worth it. Also, Woods and SJ are great route runners so they would be great teachers for Evans.

I think it's going to be a LONG 49 days or so because Evans is my clear preference and I doubt anything is going to change that opinion...

This later Draft Day stuff is killing me... :lol:

I think it's going to be a LONG 49 days or so because Evans is my clear preference and I doubt anything is going to change that opinion...

This later Draft Day stuff is killing me... :lol:

It sucks. I also hate the 1st round being on Thursday. I used to go visit friends for a draft weekend and the NFL killed that whole idea.

It sucks. I also hate the 1st round being on Thursday. I used to go visit friends for a draft weekend and the NFL killed that whole idea.

I know. The draft was the first BBQ of Spring. We had the TVs hooked up outside and the grill going.

Now we have a Prime Time snooze fest. Booo NFL! Bring back the BBQs!

Making the Draft a big weekend event was always the thing to do with my friends as well...It was a two day marathon...Best weekend of the year IMHO...

Now it's just...Meh...Three nights...Too drawn out...The 1st Round feels more like a movie premier than the NFL Draft to me...

Oh well... B-)

I would agree with all of this. However I argue with the point that Evans is the guy at the 9th pick. I'd much rather have Benjamin IMO and since in doing that, I'd rather trade down a few spots for extra picks and take both Ebron and Benjamin and then I get my 2 top juices at their positions.

Btw, I know I'm crazy thinking that Benjamin is better than Evans but it's just my opinion. I understand looked at like a freak but that's normal anyway.

How would you get both Ebron and Benjamin in that scenario? I don't think Benjanin will be available with Bills' 2nd round pick.

I know. The draft was the first BBQ of Spring. We had the TVs hooked up outside and the grill going.

Now we have a Prime Time snooze fest. Booo NFL! Bring back the BBQs!

The only thing about this current format is my wife thinks I'm less insane. I don't spend an entire Saturday watching seven rounds on two different networks.