Spikes confirmed visiting OBD. Confirmed Signed

So Kiko will play WLB or SLB? I thought I heard that Rivers would play WLB.

Get over it. Soon they'll be selling spikes T shirts that say welcome to the plumbers crack of America!

Kelly also didn't have very nice things to say about Buffalo at first.

• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd rather have Takeo Spikes now, than this putz. He said that Buffalo is a miserable place. Funny how, you sell out for the dollar.

He played for a rival, how was he supposed to treat Buffalo? Especially when he's in the most hated team in the division. I like his attitude and hope that it's contagious. I want 11 mean, angry men on defense. Good sports can go play in the CFL

So Kiko will play WLB or SLB? I thought I heard that Rivers would play WLB.

Kelly also didn't have very nice things to say about Buffalo at first.

Kiko will be the WLB to keep him away from the TE and in space where he can really flow and tackle

I liked Duke when they drafted him, didn't like Meeks as much but that's why they drafted both of them in case Byrd did leave

Funny you didn't even mention Searcy who I think could start and play well but they like him in the role he played last year

Either way they have 3 younger guys on the roster that can battle for playing time

Both Whaley and Marrone pretty much dismissed Searcy as an option for full time starter, because they view him as a liability in coverage although they love his versatility and run stopping ability when they go to a 3 safety look with Searcy usually down in the box near the LOS. They simply don't view him as a full time starter but more an important role player. He definitely has a nose for the big play tho...

Edited by matter2003

He played for a rival, how was he supposed to treat Buffalo? Especially when he's in the most hated team in the division. I like his attitude and hope that it's contagious. I want 11 mean, angry men on defense. Good sports can go play in the CFL

I want Spikes to play mad when we play the stinkin' Pats*. He's our a**hole now.

Strange... Whaley drafts a Big Ben-like QB and builds a Steel Curtain-like D... at least someone in this front office understands what it takes to win consistently...

I'm afraid of hijacking the thread but both of those comparisons are quite ambitious

To their credit, I never expected the FO to pull this off. I was screaming that he was a nasty player, and that he was coming off an injury, that Patriot fans were complaining about how slow he was.

I was shocked when I heard he was in for a physical. And so I dug around a bit more.

Spikes always said that he was healthy to play. It seems like the reason he was on IR was because he angered The Hoodie.

He is kind of slow, and not the best in coverage, but when you have Kiko playing Weakside (a much more cover centric role) and remembering that he pretty much guarded the weakside in coverage along with all of his other duties I think the two may complement each other really well.

And he might be a punk, but he's OUR punk now. :thumbsup: He's gone from a "love to hate" to "hate to love" kind of guy. I hope he gets to tackle Brady a lot.!

I agree! Admittedly, I am skeptical of Williams and I don't know if Rivers is really expected to be a starter, but what holes I see really could be filled in the draft this year.

Rivers is another good run stopper that allows Lawson to play on the LOS on run downs and use his long arms to set the edge like he did so well many times last year

Kiko will be the WLB to keep him away from the TE and in space where he can really flow and tackle

Thanks. That's what I was thinking and wanted but again I thought I heard that Rivers would play WLB.

I want Spikes to play mad when we play the stinkin' Pats*. He's our a**hole now.

He will.

I'm afraid of hijacking the thread but both of those comparisons are quite ambitious

Well, their level of performance is going to determine the accuracy of my opinion. But he is certainly attempting to put the correct pieces in place.

I like the sighing myself I have been waiting a long time for a mean defense. I don't just want the defense to rip the other teams heads off I want crush them into the turf. Like Bruce Smith once said " :) IT'S HAMMER TIME BABY! "

Edited by shadowcat10

Yeah, I'm not that excited about this. At least a 2 year deal would have been better. Makes you think he really doesn't want to be here.

While there is always the possibility he was the one that wanted the 1-year deal, I think it is far more likely that the Bills are keeping him on a short leash due to his propensity for being late to meetings, etc. They can always extend him after this year. But a 1-year deal is a ton of motivation for a 26-year old guy. If he screws up, not sure how many chances he'll get for a big payday. I trust that Pepper and Pagac will keep him in line and be a buffer between he and Marrone, who I expect had to be somewhat "sold" on bringing him in. But I am very familiar with Pagac and the old guy doesn't take any crap. Both he and Pepper (and Schwartz) have experience with working with players who aren't choir boys. The good news is that the Bills aren't sitting around worried about having to coach players who don't fit into a sweet little box with a bow around it. Coach up talent that fits your system. Boom. Edited by YoloinOhio

While there is always the possibility he was the one that wanted the 1-year deal, I think it is far more likely that the Bills are keeping him on a short leash due to his propensity for being late to meetings, etc. They can always extend him after this year. But a 1-year deal is a ton of motivation for a 26-year old guy. If he screws up, not sure how many chances he'll get for a big payday. I trust that Pepper and Pagac will keep him in line and be a buffer between he and Marrone, who I expect had to be somewhat "sold" on bringing him in. But I am very familiar with Pagac and the old guy doesn't take any crap. Both he and Pepper (and Schwartz) have experience with working with players who aren't choir boys. The good news is that the Bills aren't sitting around worried about having to coach players who don't fit into a sweet little box with a bow around it. Coach up talent that fits your system. Boom.

Maybe you'd be a good one to ask Yolo, the recent signings on D scream versatility to me. I know these days that a lot of teams play a lot of nickel but I feel like we are just as equipped to play a 3-4 as we are to play a 4-3. You know defense better than me. What say you?

Maybe you'd be a good one to ask Yolo, the recent signings on D scream versatility to me. I know these days that a lot of teams play a lot of nickel but I feel like we are just as equipped to play a 3-4 as we are to play a 4-3. You know defense better than me. What say you?

The difference between a 3-4 and 4-3 is not much anymore considering you aren't in your base package over half the time. But yes we are extremely versatile...Lawson can be a DE to set the edge on run downs, Branch can be inside or at end and we can even employ some Seahawk tactics where they play one gap and two gap techniques on the same play

I actually love this deal. Good money. He has something to prove. Knows the Pats. Stops the run. And is humbled by his market and coming here.

And, if he sucks, no real cap hurt.

Touché Whaley

While I am not an x's and 0's guru like some other posters, I think Schwartz is probably geeking out over the amount of talent, youth and versatility on this defense. It is really more than he has had in Detroit or TN as a collective group. Add to that he knows the NFC North like the back of his hand (which we play this year) and Pepper knows the AFC East like the backof his hand, they are probably working on what they are going to do against those offenses as we speak. Doesnt mean we win all those games but if you take the 6 division games and the 4 NFC North games, that is a big chunk of the schedule. Add to that Pepper has prepared for Peyton almost every year between the Colts and Denver who NE always seems to play in the playoffs and/or reg season due to the 1st place AFC schedule, that won't be new either. Now take Houston, who we play, coached by Bill O'Brien, who ran NE's offense for a few years. Again, Pepper will have some familiarity with his offense. I know familiarity doesn't always mean everything, and the guys still need to execute and make the plays, but it can't hurt. I think Schwartz's D will be a little more straightforward than Pettine's, but then again most Ds are.