Now the Pats Have Added Brandon Browner

Like I said....it speaks to the weakness of the AFC.

The "young" team in the AFC is Indy.......and their GM has not done them many favors the past 12 months.

Otherwise a lot of older and middle-aged and underwhelming rosters. The Bills have opportunity here, they need to take advantage of it. No excuses.

Agreed. I expect them to challenge for the division, and at worst a wild card spot. Anything less will be a failure. There is a lot of talent and finally depth on this team.

I understand your point, but to build a team around a playoff matchup that may or may not happen sure seems flimsy. It's a long season, attrition leaves it's mark on every club.

I suppose it depends on how the design is done.

Certainly, in the case of the Broncos, one would think that Belicheck has to be feeling pretty good about being able to stick Revis m2m on D Thomas, Browner m2m on J Thomas and Dennard m2m on Welker.

Will this matchup also be advantageous against other teams? I would think so.

Think he'll have the personnel to not get gutted up the middle?

It'll be much more difficult with Wilfork not likely being there, or healthy enough. Pats need another DT and to stay healthy on the DL. It'll help to have Mayo back and Hightower another year experienced and playing his right LB spot all season long. It bears watching for sure.

It will be fun to see SJ vs Revis x2 again, Stevie ha a tough year last year. Posting his career averages vs Revis in '14 might go a long way toward restoring some of his credibility around this here board.

If Stevie's head is in the game, it'll be a heck of a battle. He sure has the skillset to win the matchup against Revis, even a Revis who one would expect to be playing light's out as he chases a new contract.

Yeah, no chance the Pats wll pick up the year 2 option on Revis.

The 2nd year was added to prevent NE from franchising him. It's purposely ridiculous to force NE to either sign him to a long-term deal or let him hit the market again.

Edit: It's also quite stunning to think that 48hrs ago NE's secondary was in big trouble, and in the blink of an eye they land Revis & Browner. Unbelievable.

Edited by QCity

I expect Belichek's scheme to return to more exotic pressure/ coverage packages from his 3-4 days now that he can man-up on the outside. It will be interesting. Is it perhaps an attempt to move his defense into a Seahawks style bump and run approach to a Cover-3 shell and a single high safety? Lots of room for weirdness within that scheme with the right corners and coaches.

The way we counter their moves beyond what we've done. We draft a big athletic WR like Evans, and an athletic TE like Ebron. Now we have a power back in Dixon, ouR current roster and a set for Chandler and Ebron out there.

I'd like to see that battle. This team looks like it's moving on the right track.

Except they have had a pretty bad track record of signing FA WR's.

Maybe. However, that Welker signing worked out pretty well for them.

But to your point, I wonder how many FA WRs do actually make a major impact. I realize that question is somewhat a semantics debate and one could use their favorite cherry-picked stats, but it doesn't seem like mixing and matching different team's QBs and WRs is a slam dunk no-brainer with huge upside all that often.

Maybe. However, that Welker signing worked out pretty well for them.

They signed Welker as a RFA. And he's but one of many. And Lafell isn't anything special so predicting he won't do much for them admittedly isn't saying much.

But to your point, I wonder how many FA WRs do actually make a major impact. I realize that question is somewhat a semantics debate and one could use their favorite cherry-picked stats, but it doesn't seem like mixing and matching different team's QBs and WRs is a slam dunk no-brainer with huge upside all that often.

Good question.

The Patriots are busy building a team to beat Denver. They certainly don't need two of the games best corners to cover the lowly receiving corps' in the AFC East.

Browner is a force. I believe he is a PED cheat.....but he is a force.

Side note: His father Joey was a great safety in the NFL for the Vikings in the 1980's.

The smaller NFL field and better NFL PED's obviously made a difference. He stepped out of the CFL and immediately into the pro bowl.

Joey browner isn't his dad.

They signed Welker as a RFA. And he's but one of many. And Lafell isn't anything special so predicting he won't do much for them admittedly isn't saying much.

Good question.

How special was Welker before the pats picked him up?

You may answer the question, doc.

You won't find a better one. Belichick treasures his draft picks. To trade away a 2nd rounder, you need to be pretty special in his eyes.

And Lafell has been starting for the past 2 years while Welker had just 2 starts in the year before he joined the Pats, and had more catches (on average) and the same amount of receiving yards (again on average). Not to mention he had Joey Harrington, Daunte Culpepper, and Cleo Lemon throwing to him, not Cam Newton.

You won't find a better one. Belichick treasures his draft picks. To trade away a 2nd rounder, you need to be pretty special in his eyes.

And Lafell has been starting for the past 2 years while Welker had just 2 starts in the year before he joined the Pats, and had more catches (on average) and the same amount of receiving yards (again on average). Not to mention he had Joey Harrington, Daunte Culpepper, and Cleo Lemon throwing to him, not Cam Newton.

Your misrepresentation of Welker's pre NE stats aside (he played in all 16 games in the 2 years before he was traded), you can't convince anyone that you though he was special (which is what we are talking about). You've already stated Lafell is nothing special. Obviously BB disagrees.

Also, Newton only through for 3300 yards last season.

Your misrepresentation of Welker's pre NE stats aside (he played in all 16 games in the 2 years before he was traded), you can't convince anyone that you though he was special (which is what we are talking about). You've already stated Lafell is nothing special. Obviously BB disagrees.

Also, Newton only through for 3300 yards last season.

I never said I thought he was special. I was saying that Belichick thought he was. And I misrepresented nothing WRT Welker's pre-NE stats. The year prior to joining the Pats, he played in all 16 games, but started just 2, and had more catches for the same yards as Lafell did on average with the Panthers the past 2 seasons as a starter. And Newton threw for almost 3,900 yards the year before and over 4,000 his rookie year, meaning he can throw the ball.

I never said I thought he was special. I was saying that Belichick thought he was. And I misrepresented nothing WRT Welker's pre-NE stats. The year prior to joining the Pats, he played in all 16 games, but started just 2, and had more catches for the same yards as Lafell did on average with the Panthers the past 2 seasons as a starter. And Newton threw for almost 3,900 yards the year before and over 4,000 his rookie year, meaning he can throw the ball.

Then you agree that Welker, like Lafell, was nothing special before he got to NE--we all already know what BB thought about each. It always takes a bit of obfuscation first, doc.

Obviously it matters not whether a WR is on the field for the first offensive snap. He plays in every game, he catches over 60 passes. It's a meaningless distinction you are making.

Then you agree that Welker, like Lafell, was nothing special before he got to NE--we all already know what BB thought about each. It always takes a bit of obfuscation first, doc.

Obviously it matters not whether a WR is on the field for the first offensive snap. He plays in every game, he catches over 60 passes. It's a meaningless distinction you are making.

Obfuscation? LOL! Oh, the irony! Again it matters not who I thought was special. Belicheck parted with a draft pick, a precious 2nd rounder no less, for Welker. I doubt he'd have parted with any pick for Lafell. And ultimately Welker proved to be worth it, although again he was one success out of many failures. As I like to say, we'll see just how "special" Lafell turns out to be, but I doubt he does much more than what he's already shown.

Also, Randy Moss worked out OK.

Another player Belichick traded a pick for, and a proven one (in the past) at that. And it was less than what he traded for Welker. Again I doubt Belichick trades anything for Lafell.

With what has happened to them, I am positive that they are going to need a lot more help on defense.

They will be just fine in 2014. Kiper gave their draft an A+ and called Belichecks moves genius. Infact, Rodrak was shown on ESPN talking about how they believe they have the 2014 DROY and OROY. ESPN is not alone, either. NFLN called the draft pure Belicheck with the acquisition of all that talent and still trading down in every round to acquire 11 1st round picks for 2015.