[closed]Well, it looks like Eugene Parker's extortion is about to

As free agency is about to open no matter what happens Parker & Co doesn't come out of this "negotiation" looking too good. Their greed (Byrd included) has been exposed for exactly what it is. No matter what happens I'll be glad when this whole ordeal is over. One other thing that I'd like to mention is that I sure do think and feel differently about Byrd and also of our front office. Here's a big shout out to Whaley and staff for sticking to their guns!

Go Bills!

As free agency is about to open no matter what happens Parker & Co doesn't come out of this "negotiation" looking too good. Their greed (Byrd included) has been exposed for exactly what it is. No matter what happens I'll be glad when this whole ordeal is over. One other thing that I'd like to mention is that I sure do think and feel differently about Byrd and also of our front office. Here's a big shout out to Whaley and staff for sticking to their guns!

Go Bills!

Say what? If Byrd gets top dollar, Parker will come out looking like a hero. Who do you think he's trying to impress?

But of course, if / when Byrd gets a big contract Eugene will be a hero / genius who outfoxed the Bills again and will be hired by a bunch more rookies who will bolt first chance they can from the Bills.

i really am not sure why their greed has to be exposed - arent we all trying to generally work for top dollar or various self interests? his situation especially unique as he has never gotten to choose an employer or negotiate pay other than "i would like to enter the nfl draft"

But of course, if / when Byrd gets a big contract Eugene will be a hero / genius who outfoxed the Bills again and will be hired by a bunch more rookies who will bolt first chance they can from the Bills.

And if he doesn't, what happens then? What ends up signing with the Bills or a comparable or a less contract with someone else? Should Parker be fired, not accurately gauging the market? Because when it's all over and done with Byrd doesn't come out of this looking good. His image and that legacy that he speaks of sure does take a step back IMO. Just saying.....

I dont want to say to much till it plays out.....there might be a sucker team out there yet.

It doesn't matter if there is, the damage is done. Teams weren't lined up like they were projected to be. Even if they dupe some other team it won't matter, their greed has been brought to light. The Bills gave him a very legitimate offer and it wasn't good enough. I don't EVER want to hear Byrd claim how much he loves his teammates again. He was ready to take a big dump on all who supported and believed in him and were willing to pay fair market value and then some.

I hope that Parker and all the other agents out there that most of this board bleeds blue, not Byrd or any other player. The allegiance is to this franchise and to this community and if a player, no matter good he is, doesn't want to be here then adios. If we're not good enough then happy trails because when it's all over with The Ralph is still gonna rock come Sundays regardless of who dons the Red, White and Blue.

Go Bills!

Extortion? Because the guy representing Buffalo's top UFA this team had didn't sign here? Every single person, if they were in Byrd's shoes, would want from Parker exactly what he's provided to Byrd. A shot at signing another contract in a league where most guys don't even get the second one after their rookie deal.

Objectivity just took a nose dive again.

Say what? If Byrd gets top dollar, Parker will come out looking like a hero. Who do you think he's trying to impress?

Point being that the FO didn't fold like a cheap tent in the face of Parker's/Byrd's demands. I've said before that I like Byrd. I think he's good for the team but he's not worth the cheddar that he's asking for. No sir. Let him walk.

Edited by DerekJ

Extortion? Because the guy representing Buffalo's top UFA this team had didn't sign here? Every single person, if they were in Byrd's shoes, would want from Parker exactly what he's provided to Byrd. A shot at signing another contract in a league where most guys don't even get the second one after their rookie deal.

Where are the teams that are willing to pay that kind of money? None so far. I have no problem with a player trying to get compensated for as much as he could, especially due to such a short playing span. What I do have a problem with is that when we exercised our right to tag a player, pay him top 5 salary at his position and then have him piss and moan and drag his ass in here at the very last minute and on top of that refuse to play and hide behind a bs excuse of an injury then any respect for such a player rapidly dwindles in my book. Furthermore, how about the way he acted like a spoiled little brat with interviews until after a few weeks when he started having some success in our defense is when his attitude started to change ?? Selfish and greedy is the impression I'm left with.

Today I find myself unexpectedly not caring about what Byrd decides to do and let me tell you, it's refreshing ! Now, with all that being said, if Byrd does re-sign with us then I'll be a good fan and root for him to succeed but not because of him, it's because he is wearing our colors but I definitely don't view him the same like I did before today.

Ps- if Byrd does sign elsewhere there will be no I'll will on my part because personally I still think that he's a good man, just a ****ty professional athlete who happens to have great abilities.

Edited by Tipster19

Today I find myself unexpectedly not caring about what Byrd decides to do and let me tell you, it's refreshing !

i dont think you are giving this impression to the rest of the world. if this is you not caring it mustve been quite the stress inducing situation for you before.

i dont think you are giving this impression to the rest of the world. if this is you not caring it mustve been quite the stress inducing situation for you before.

No, this is me expressing a sigh of relief. And to respond to your observation, yes it was very stressful for me. I value our good players, especially due to our lack of success the last dozen or so years but only to a certain extent. Mr. Byrd has now exceeded that extent.

i really am not sure why their greed has to be exposed - arent we all trying to generally work for top dollar or various self interests? his situation especially unique as he has never gotten to choose an employer or negotiate pay other than "i would like to enter the nfl draft"

Well you may be No Saint, but Byrd just might be. The only visit he has scheduled thus far is with NO and they don't appear to have the cap room to give him the kind of contract he is after. I get that he wants top dollar, but I think Buffalo made him a fair offer. No hard feelings toward Byrd or the FO on this one. They just don't value his services the same. He thinks he's worth more than they do and if he can get it, more power to him, but don't blame the FO.

Per Tim Graham's article of a year ago, Parker sets a number and then doesn't budge. That isn't negotiating. Extortion seems like a decent word for it.