Everson Griffen & the rising cost of FAs

I just saw that the Vikings re-signed Everson Griffen, a situational pass rusher who's never had double-digit sacks in a season, to a 5-year, $42M deal.

Wow.

Obviously the market is up quite a bit, which makes me wonder what other types of funny money we'll see thrown around in the early stages of FA--most likely by teams looking to be flashy (a la Miami last year).

Personally, I'd prefer if Buffalo doesn't dole out massive bucks like this, but rather makes some value signings instead. I do worry that the value guys may see the huge $$ being tossed around and not be ready to settle for value though, so we may have to pay more than we're expecting in order to get the players we want.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just saw that the Vikings re-signed Everson Griffen, a situational pass rusher who's never had double-digit sacks in a season, to a 5-year, $42M deal.

Wow.

Obviously the market is up quite a bit, which makes me wonder what other types of funny money we'll see thrown around in the early stages of FA--most likely by teams looking to be flashy (a la Miami last year).

Personally, I'd prefer if Buffalo doesn't dole out massive bucks like this, but rather makes some value signings instead. I do worry that the value guys may see the huge $$ being tossed around and not be ready to settle for value though, so we may have to pay more than we're expecting in order to get the players we want.

WOW........ Michael Johnson is gonna get a Mario deal if this is what Griffen gets. Stupid move by the Vikings.

If you Draft like **** what are the alternatives??? Bills are going to let their own Problem safety walk instead of overpaying. They finally hit on a high Draft pick and let him walk. Buffalo has to pay a premium to get guys to stay. Either sign them early thus losing the benefit of the rookie contract or overpay when they are a FA. Until they can prove they can Draft even decently they have no better option than to overpay for proven talent like Byrd and Mario. What do they do though? They bid against themselves for crap like Kelsay and Fitz. Both of which I was on record as wanting to sign but not at the price.

Edited by Dragonborn10

If you Draft like **** what are the alternatives??? Bills are going to let their own Problem safety walk instead of overpaying. They finally hit on a high Draft pick and let him walk. Buffalo has to pay a premium to get guys to stay. Either sign them early thus losing the benefit of the rookie contract or overpay when they are a FA. Until they can prove they can Draft even decently they have no better option than to overpay for proven talent like Byrd and Mario. What do they do though? They bid against themselves for crap like Kelly and Fitz. Both of which I was on record as wanting to sign but not at the price.

This entire post is confusing...

To the bolded: I think you're exactly right, if you mean "we" as in "we, the fans." The silver lining is that the Bills will be in good cap shape for the foreseeable future, even if they make a bunch of seemingly expensive signings.

Reason #1 why you build through the draft. Free agency is fool's gold. Guys get overpriced. You draft your core and fill the roster with bargain free agents.

Totally agree, but so do most GMs. With revenues and the cap soaring, those bargain FAs look less and less like bargains - at least to us as fans.

Reason #1 why you build through the draft. Free agency is fool's gold. Guys get overpriced. You draft your core and fill the roster with bargain free agents.

What happens when you build through the draft and don't sign the the majority of guys you drafted when they become good or better?

Buffalo drafted 10 players in rounds 1-3 from 2007-2009. 1 was traded for a song (Lynch), 3 were allowed to leave via UFA (Posluszny, Levitre, Byrd), 2 were re-signed (Wood and McKelvin) while the remaining were busts (Maybin, Hardy, Ellis, Edwards). Poor drafting coupled with allowing a majority of your hits on draft day to depart equals a mediocre team, which is what the Bills are.

"Allowing" a majority of your hits to depart? Did you seriously want them to throw more money at Poz? They allegedly offered Byrd a deal that would make him the highest paid safety in the league.

At some point GMs and money guys have to say we sign this player for x amount, what will that do to future contracts of upcoming free agents? Anyone else think it was coincidental that Williams was re-signed after Byrd decided to hit the open market?

What happens when you build through the draft and don't sign the the majority of guys you drafted when they become good or better?

Buffalo drafted 10 players in rounds 1-3 from 2007-2009. 1 was traded for a song (Lynch), 3 were allowed to leave via UFA (Posluszny, Levitre, Byrd), 2 were re-signed (Wood and McKelvin) while the remaining were busts (Maybin, Hardy, Ellis, Edwards). Poor drafting coupled with allowing a majority of your hits on draft day to depart equals a mediocre team, which is what the Bills are.

I disagree. I think the Bills are a very nicely talented team poised to win if EJ emerges.

If you're going to make this argument, it's probably worth noting that Stevie Johnson should be included in the re-signed category...one could also pick nits with Byrd, as the team did indeed keep him beyond his rookie contract.

"Allowing" a majority of your hits to depart? Did you seriously want them to throw more money at Poz? They allegedly offered Byrd a deal that would make him the highest paid safety in the league.

At some point GMs and money guys have to say we sign this player for x amount, what will that do to future contracts of upcoming free agents? Anyone else think it was coincidental that Williams was re-signed after Byrd decided to hit the open market?

Good points

I disagree. I think the Bills are a very nicely talented team poised to win if EJ emerges.

I agree...it's all about the QB.