Anyone know where to stay in Boston?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I am just confused. Big city JW just trashed a major metro mainly on the availability of dive bars serving $3 domestics and then advocated a day trip to the LL Bean outlet? How much more suburban can it get than swilling down Budweiser in your LL Bean monogrammed fleece??? I'm guessing that our favorite AP writer might have a soft spot for Eddie Bauer too and not just to be ironic.

EDIT: Apparently LL Bean and Eddie Bauer are now accepted hipster garb and real dive bars, not craft cocktail/beer bars pretending to be dives just because they have cans of PBR in the fridge, are also the style. You win this round, jw.

Edited by Jauronimo

I love Boston . Lots to do.. Love Maine. Love Quebec City, love NY. Love Buffalo. Love DC. It is what you make of your trip. Don't mind paying for good food or drink. You have to do Sam Adams tour and the duck tour. Best ice cream is crescent ridge ice cream in Sharon mass. About 40 minutes south of Boston if you want a special treat.

First, great to "see" you Westside. I believe you will have a great time in Boston. Fenway is fun. Last trip there we stayed at the W Hotel in the Theater District and it was great. Centrally located to all transportation and much of the fun stuff is walkable. Ultra modern hipster hotel to be sure, but we enjoyed it anyway. Daughter lives in Portland ME and while it is a tad small and quaint for her tastes, we love visiting her there. Really cool little city right on the ocean with great restaurants. In the summertime it is jammed with people. 4 or 5 cruise ships daily in port. Hotel rooms right downtown can be $400+ a night so plan accordingly. But worth the trip IMO. Also Portsmouth NH is quite nice as well.

my wife loves Boston after our last visit. i hated it. overpriced rooms. overpriced beers. hotel staff pointing us to a chain restaurant. too many touristy spots. Cheers, really? getting lost 12 times. silly, precious wharf area. Legal Seafoods, blech: service was terrible, food just as bad.

You should try living here. My brother and I are both currently looking at homes, him in Buffalo, me in Boston. He's seeing stuff that is half the price and twice the size of the stuff out here. I really need to relocate.

but, to me, it came off as a town that comes off as feeling superior, without any real reason to feel superior about itself, perhaps, kinda like a Toronto with a better history.

They've got the strange combination of simultaneous superiority and inferiority complexes. Mention the Yankees, Lakers, or Peyton Manning to someone and you'll see a fine display of insecurity.

took 3 days to find a $3 beer, and trust me, i looked. wasn't until we were tipped off to some upstairs joint that didn't have a name that we finally found something.

$3 beer? What was it, Bud Light? The only place you're finding a $3 dollar beer around here is called the liquor store.

Check out the Copley Square Hotel. Wifey and I stayed there a couple of years ago. I walked to Fenway from there - not long / seemed safe.

It's safe as long as you don't accidentally turn the wrong way when leaving the hotel. :lol:

If you head south, look out.

of all the places i've visited in the U.S., from Key West to Seattle, Bangor to San Diego, Boston ranks as my absolute worst. ... oh wait, nearly forgot: Wilmington, NC.

Okay, dem's fightin' words. I happen to vacation at the beach near Wilmington every summer. What's your beef with Wilmington?

my wife loves Boston after our last visit. i hated it. overpriced rooms. overpriced beers. hotel staff pointing us to a chain restaurant. too many touristy spots. Cheers, really? getting lost 12 times. silly, precious wharf area. Legal Seafoods, blech: service was terrible, food just as bad.

now, the North End was good, particularly Regina's pizza.

but, to me, it came off as a town that comes off as feeling superior, without any real reason to feel superior about itself, perhaps, kinda like a Toronto with a better history.

took 3 days to find a $3 beer, and trust me, i looked. wasn't until we were tipped off to some upstairs joint that didn't have a name that we finally found something.

bah!

left me with a real bad taste.

jw

of all the places i've visited in the U.S., from Key West to Seattle, Bangor to San Diego, Boston ranks as my absolute worst. ... oh wait, nearly forgot: Wilmington, NC.

You need a local to show you around. I visited a few years ago and met up with a friend of my brother's who owns a restaurant in the city. As such he knew everybody in the business and we spent the weekend eating some fantastic food. If you ate at bad spots in Boston it's because you didn't know where to go. It's not New York, but it still has fantastic food.

Btw, complaining about the cost of a big city is a bit absurd. Of course it's expensive.

Wow John, that sucks. I am mostly going to see the sox play. Anything after that is a bonus.I was thinking about driving down around Portland maine for a day trip. I heard it is pretty nice there.

Key west is on my list. How would you rate it John? It seems like a really laid back place. Which I would love.

I thought Key West was great...fun vibe for a tourist town. The drive there is very cool. I wouldn't want to live there but certainly worth an excursion from Miami for a night or two.

I thought Key West was great...fun vibe for a tourist town. The drive there is very cool. I wouldn't want to live there but certainly worth an excursion from Miami for a night or two.

I loved Key West too. But then again that was when I was "shacking up" with the future Mrs. Chef Jim in Miami 32 years ago and we'd take day trips or spend long weekends there.