Scouts Quick Take On Top Prospects

agardin

Surprised to read that Manziel has a better arm than Russell. I'm looking forward to reading a couple scouts' take after they see his pro day work. They liked the way Russell threw at his.

GO BILLS!!!

Mike Evans is exactly what this team needs. He can go across the middle, compete for jump balls, has elite hands, has the ability to comeback to the ball when plays break-down, and is a true outside receiver on a team that truly lacks one. If Robinson, Watkins, Mack, and Matthews are all gone I'd take Evans over Ebron. Ebron's hands are too suspect.

I'll wait for Mike Mayock who watches all the game film.

Its like the certain scouts that sit and watch highlights all day, and get their opinion that way.

I've never heard of Daniel Kim, is he is the guy that said the Texans would hire David Shaw? Anyway, probably lost his job as an NFL scout and now writes for the NFL.

I promise you there are no NFL scouts sitting around watching highlight films all day (or ever).

Mayock may watch game film, but the scouts are at the games, in the pressbox, watching the guy's every move on the field, on the sideline, as well as at practice. In addition to the film.They have talked to their coaches in college. They have talked to their coaches from HS.

In the scout's defense (as far as how his analysis "sounded") - he was providing information for a newspaper article. He is probably trying to break it down into layman's terms and also give the people what they want - some of the analysis that contradicts what they might be getting everywhere else, for the juice factor. I watch a TON of CFB, and I have no issue with any of what he said and it is not the first time I have heard any of it.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I promise you there are no NFL scouts sitting around watching highlight films all day (or ever).

In the scout's defense (as far as how his analysis "sounded" - he was providing information for a newspaper article. He is probably trying to break it down into layman's terms and also give the people what they want - some of the analysis that contradicts what they might be getting everywhere else, for the juice factor. I watch a TON of CFB, and I have no issue with any of what he said and it is not the first time I have heard any of it.

Wait, you mean it's not like this board, where someone watches a YouTube highlight video and then claims to have "watched tape" or "seen film" of a prospect?

I agree the big 4 will be off the board by our selection. I am thinking the best realistic scenerio that could happen is Manziel slides to 9, and some team trades up for him. landing us an additional pick or two. We could slide down, and draft Ebron, or Xavier Su’a-Filo- my sleeper Bills pick

Here's the thing on Ebron for me:

He's a gifted TE for sure--where I get hung up is that I can't figure out how a 6'4" 250 LB TE with 4.6 speed presents a greater matchup problem than, say, a 6'5" 240 LB WR with 4.5 speed like Mike Evans.

If I'm taking a TE at 9 overall, I want him to be a matchup nightmare. Gronk is like that because he's got the 4.5 speed and the dominant blocking ability...Ebron has neither.

See what I'm saying?

Were I picking in the 15-20 range, I could probably get myself comfortable with Ebron; he is a very good football player. I just think that the talent level of this class is too high to settle for less than elite at No. 9.

Thoughts?

Completely agree, plus this team has never demonstrated that it knows how to effectively utilize a TE. Some offenses (and QBs) are better at it than others. I would like to see us go TE in 3d or 4th round.

Mayock may watch game film, but the scouts are at the games, in the pressbox, watching the guy's every move on the field, on the sideline, as well as at practice. In addition to the film.They have talked to their coaches in college. They have talked to their coaches from HS.

In the scout's defense (as far as how his analysis "sounded") - he was providing information for a newspaper article. He is probably trying to break it down into layman's terms and also give the people what they want - some of the analysis that contradicts what they might be getting everywhere else, for the juice factor. I watch a TON of CFB, and I have no issue with any of what he said and it is not the first time I have heard any of it.

I realize that is what most people expect professional scouts to do. But, that's not what I recall a SF scout stating about a team he refused to name. I can only think that must be where he worked in the past.

He stated they sat at a table around at the end of the year watching "highlights", and and he became so upset that certain scouts would point out how great a specific player was because of those highlights.

Doesn't make you wonder what the Bills did the years previous to Whaley to be so bad at drafting, and free agents?

Anyway, like i already stated. I'll await Mike Mayock's assessment on guys like Ebron, Evans who have grades as high as 15-20 from some draft sites before I even think about them at #9

Edited by FeartheLosing

I realize that is what most people expect professional scouts to do. But, that's not what I recall a SF scout stating about a team he refused to name. I can only think that must be where he worked in the past.

He stated they sat at a table around at the end of the year watching "highlights", and and he became so upset that certain scouts would point out how great a specific player was because of those highlights.

Doesn't make you wonder what the Bills did the years previous to Whaley to be so bad at drafting, and free agents?

Anyway, like i already stated. I'll await Mike Mayock's assessment on guys like Ebron, Evans who have grades as high as 15-20 from some draft sites before I even think about them at #9

Wow. I have to think that "certain scout" is now a "certain former scout." Maybe they were watching highlight films for fun? Who knows. The Bengals have historically had an absurdly skeleton scouting staff. They employed like 2 college scouts and relied a lot on internet info to get their info (like Kiper, etc)! They are a very cheap organization - as in they don't even have an indoor practice facility and they limit the # of bottles of Gatorade players can take. Recently they have beefed up their college scouting department... and it shows. Edited by YoloinOhio

Wow. I have to think that "certain scout" is now a "certain former scout." Maybe they were watching highlight films for fun? Who knows. The Bengals have historically had an absurdly skeleton scouting staff. They employed like 2 college scouts and relied a lot on internet info to get their info (like Kiper, etc)! They are a very cheap organization - as in they don't even have an indoor practice facility and they limit the # of bottles of Gatorade players can take. Recently they have beefed up their college scouting department... and it shows.

Not really, he was actually making fun of that team and condemning their process of players evaluation. It was from an episode of NFL flims, and the scout was working for the 49ers at that time. He stated he left the film room ranting at the head scout stating that they are "Highlights", and how can they possibly properly evaluate players with just highlights.

He's a gifted TE for sure--where I get hung up is that I can't figure out how a 6'4" 250 LB TE with 4.6 speed presents a greater matchup problem than, say, a 6'5" 240 LB WR with 4.5 speed like Mike Evans.

If I'm taking a TE at 9 overall, I want him to be a matchup nightmare. Gronk is like that because he's got the 4.5 speed and the dominant blocking ability...Ebron has neither.

See what I'm saying?

Were I picking in the 15-20 range, I could probably get myself comfortable with Ebron; he is a very good football player. I just think that the talent level of this class is too high to settle for less than elite at No. 9.

Thoughts?

I see what you are saying and I tend to have the same feeling.

But the problem is that none of these big WR prospects....Evans, Benjamin and Coleman being the TE sized early round options.....has done much damage in the middle of the field. They really are perimeter players.

Evans is a beast but he rarely caught anything in the middle of the field. As good as he is outside, you almost don't want to expose his angular frame to LB's anyway.

The Bills need a big target to split the center of the field and keep the safeties away from the sidelines where Goodwin and Graham are attempting to get over the top.

I don't have the greatest feeling about Ebron. He is smaller than you want and he drops some really easy throws. I don't know that he is that guy either. There is a reason that there aren't enough of these players to go around. It's a tall order to be both an inline blocker and a smooth pass receiver. When they do find these guys, they tend to take a beating and not last.

I'll wait for Mike Mayock who watches all the game film.

Its like the certain scouts that sit and watch highlights all day, and get their opinion that way.

I've never heard of Daniel Kim, is he is the guy that said the Texans would hire David Shaw? Anyway, probably lost his job as an NFL scout and now writes for the NFL.

Do you seriously think that scouts watch more highlights than film...and. for that matter, less than Mayock? Riddle me this...why isn't Mayock the top payed scout that every NFL team is fighting over, rather than just another talking head on the idiot box?

No disrespect, but I just thought the "certain scouts that sit and watch highlights all day" statement is a bit cra cra. If a scout, a real NFL scout, did that he'd be fired faster than CJ2K's 40 time.

See what I'm saying?

Thoughts?

But then you factor in matchups, supply, and economics. TEs match up on smaller and/or slower defenders and are much harder to completely neutralize defensively. A good TE can be used to move safeties and linebackers around, freeing up the field for WRs and RBs. It's much harder to do that with an outside possession receiver. TEs also run routes directly in their QB's field of vision, which is invaluable for a guy like EJ who isn't yet seeing the whole field (and who seems far more comfortable throwing over he middle than outside). Elite TEs also are rarer than elite WRs. And finally, they are also cheaper, as Graham is finding out the hard way...

So all else being equal, I take the TE...

Edited by Coach Tuesday

I think we are going OT in the first and OG in the 3rd. LB in the 2nd. We have 3 good WR, 2 good runners and a solid defense thats only 1 LB away from being great.

We need a dominant O line. Glenn and Wood are studs. Must add two more athletic maulers at LG and RT.

I think we are going OT in the first and OG in the 3rd. LB in the 2nd. We have 3 good WR, 2 good runners and a solid defense thats only 1 LB away from being great.

We need a dominant O line. Glenn and Wood are studs. Must add two more athletic maulers at LG and RT.

http://www.nfl.com/n...sser-scout-says

Anonymous scout's take on most of the top prospects. FWIW, I found it interesting.

I feel dumber for having read this. An anonymous "scout"...These could be the comments of a random homeless guy for all we know. Just some columnist trying to get publicity. Saying Manziel is already better than the guy who just won the super bowl says it all.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

I see what you are saying and I tend to have the same feeling.

But the problem is that none of these big WR prospects....Evans, Benjamin and Coleman being the TE sized early round options.....has done much damage in the middle of the field. They really are perimeter players.

Evans is a beast but he rarely caught anything in the middle of the field. As good as he is outside, you almost don't want to expose his angular frame to LB's anyway.

The Bills need a big target to split the center of the field and keep the safeties away from the sidelines where Goodwin and Graham are attempting to get over the top.

I don't have the greatest feeling about Ebron. He is smaller than you want and he drops some really easy throws. I don't know that he is that guy either. There is a reason that there aren't enough of these players to go around. It's a tall order to be both an inline blocker and a smooth pass receiver. When they do find these guys, they tend to take a beating and not last.

Fully agree on the need for a big TE...I, like you, do not feel that Ebron has enough of the elite skill set to take in the top 10. I'd rather take BPA in the first and take a TE like Niklas or ASJ in the 2nd, or Fedorowicz or Crockett Gillmore in the 3rd/4th respectively.

That way you get your middle-of-the-field target without over-spending or passing up the elite talent at the top end of this draft (which is considerable IMO).

But then you factor in matchups, supply, and economics. TEs match up on smaller and/or slower defenders and are much harder to completely neutralize defensively. A good TE can be used to move safeties and linebackers around, freeing up the field for WRs and RBs. It's much harder to do that with an outside possession receiver. TEs also run routes directly in their QB's field of vision, which is invaluable for a guy like EJ who isn't yet seeing the whole field (and who seems far more comfortable throwing over he middle than outside). Elite TEs also are rarer than elite WRs. And finally, they are also cheaper, as Graham is finding out the hard way...

So all else being equal, I take the TE...

Absolutely...I'd definitely go for the elite TE over the elite WR if I'm the Bills. I'm just not sold on Ebron being elite TE material. He's Vernon Davis without as much speed IMO, and I'm not comfortable signing up for that at 9.

Now, Troy Niklas or ASJ at 41? That I'm all in on.

Edited by thebandit27

At the Combine Mayock said Ebron was top ten and Evans top fifteen.

Do you seriously think that scouts watch more highlights than film...and. for that matter, less than Mayock? Riddle me this...why isn't Mayock the top payed scout that every NFL team is fighting over, rather than just another talking head on the idiot box?

No disrespect, but I just thought the "certain scouts that sit and watch highlights all day" statement is a bit cra cra. If a scout, a real NFL scout, did that he'd be fired faster than CJ2K's 40 time.

Did you happen to read all the posts in this thread? Yolo had a point about how the Bungals used to run their scouting dept. All I was pointing out is, I have never heard of the author of this article, and it would seem to me that if the guy were good at his job... he would still have a job as a scout instead of writing minor articles for the NFL.

And no, I was merely pointing out that there are some NFL scouts out there that are seriously bad at their jobs. Some of us Bills fans know this first hand, sadly.

Mayock has been asked by several teams to work for them and he has turned them all down. I would imagine Mayock is making far more money as a color commentator for NFL / college games, draft analyst / guru that hosts shows like NFL networks path to the draft. He also is the main contributor to the NFL's actual coverage of the draft. I would also imagine that NFL most scouts can only dream of having the job he has.

At the Combine Mayock said Ebron was top ten and Evans top fifteen.

Yea, but at this time nothing is written in stone. The It usually takes these guys months to watch all the game film, study the combine stats and make a final decision a few weeks before the draft.