D'Qwell Jackson (LB) Released by Browns

thebandit27

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How much would he command? He's been a pretty good player historically, so I can see some team offering him quite a bit.

As stated above, sign him and Byrd and the defense looks quite formidable.

One "insider" (can't remember who, for the life of me, been listening/reading too much draft **** lately) that Whaley is most concerned about the linebacker position on his squad right now. They were speculating that the Bills would "surprise" everyone by grabbing a LB with the 9th pick. Wonder if that outlook might change if a quality vet, with some good years left, fell into their lap... I would prefer that this need be addressed in FA, rather than the draft, myself.

I'm not convinced of that...the Browns have done a lot of strange things organizationally in the last year, cutting Jackson to avoid paying his $4M roster bonus without consulting the coach would be but a pebble on a mountain of dysfunction.

Considering they tried replacing their just-hired head coach, yes, you are correct.

I wouldn't get your hopes up. I just pray he doesn't sign with New England ughhh

Why not ?

This guy is a fit for us right now, Its got alot of added values to spend on this cat.

Byrd goes to Cleveland for a song (3rd ?

) right after we sign Jackson.

And there was much rejoicing

7 teams interested in DQ.

no pressure dougie

Wait for the dust to settle.

For "great place" and ILB need I think of Denver, Baltimore, Tampa Bay, Buffalo in that order. Forget Minnesota.

Bills likely will want to get full medical evaluation on CJ Mosley. The other thing I thought of is whether the ILB releases/interest in FA will affect how early Mack, Skov, and Borland are drafted.

Joel Corry@corryjoel 35m

@JasonLaCanfora D'Qwell Jackson could get more than his scheduled $8,033,333 '14 salary in the 1st year of a new deal with such interest.

Sounds like the story is, per radio, the Browns asked him to restructure his contract prior to FA. He felt he could get more on the open market, so they mutually decided to part ways amicably.

The Bills have indicated they are looking for an LB in FA but price would be a factor and don't think they'll overpay... but who knows.

Edited by YoloinOhio

The latest rumors have Tenessee as a potential destination. Clevelands DC last season Ray Horton is in Tennessee now.

From ESPN:

“D’Qwell has been a coach’s dream as far as leadership, intelligence,'' Horton said last season per this article from Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain-Dealer. "He demands a lot from himself and his teammates. He really is a locker room coach [with] some of the things he says after the game and at halftime.”

The Titans could use that in the middle of a defense that needs more leaders. Strong safety Bernard Pollard who could be leaving as a free agent, was the singular leader of the 2013 defense.

Joel Corry@corryjoel 35m

@JasonLaCanfora D'Qwell Jackson could get more than his scheduled $8,033,333 '14 salary in the 1st year of a new deal with such interest.

Sounds like the story is, per radio, the Browns asked him to restructure his contract prior to FA. He felt he could get more on the open market, so they mutually decided to part ways amicably.

The Bills have indicated they are looking for an LB in FA but price would be a factor and don't think they'll overpay... but who knows.

The big and unexpected jump in the salary cap is very bad news for the Bills in free agency. Last year a guy like Jackson would have been forced to settle for a much smaller contract. The Bills need a LB but just as badly they need a vocal leader, as evidenced by some of the comments late last season from guys like Kyle Williams about players needing to grow up and take responsibility, etc.. They pretty much went into lame-duck mode after that loss against Kansas City. As it turned out, they still had a legit shot at the playoffs but they let that adversity get the best of them instead of finishing as hard as they started.

I banged this drum to death since last spring but the Bills made a big mistake not adding more talent in FA last offseason. It wasn't OK to let Marrone have a losing season in year one. I still don't expect teams to go crazy in free agency this year but this extra funding levels the playing field and that is never good for an organization like the Bills that typically has to overpay to convince free agents that losing won't be so bad.

The big and unexpected jump in the salary cap is very bad news for the Bills in free agency. Last year a guy like Jackson would have been forced to settle for a much smaller contract. The Bills need a LB but just as badly they need a vocal leader, as evidenced by some of the comments late last season from guys like Kyle Williams about players needing to grow up and take responsibility, etc.. They pretty much went into lame-duck mode after that loss against Kansas City. As it turned out, they still had a legit shot at the playoffs but they let that adversity get the best of them instead of finishing as hard as they started.

I banged this drum to death since last spring but the Bills made a big mistake not adding more talent in FA last offseason. It wasn't OK to let Marrone have a losing season in year one. I still don't expect teams to go crazy in free agency this year but this extra funding levels the playing field and that is never good for an organization like the Bills that typically has to overpay to convince free agents that losing won't be so bad.

Exactly why I'm not all over this...Love DQ, but if we're going to "overpay" for a LB in FA, I'd want someone about 5-6 years his jr. The only one that jumps off the FA list at me is Butler from S.D. however, looks as if they're working on keeping him in Southern CA.

The Cowboys are like $20-30 million over the cap though.

And getting a 12m raise in the cap would help that immensely - add a cut or two and a restructure or two and much like all the teams over the cap at this stage they can add a couple pieces potentially (remember a 5m signing bonus only counts 1m this year). Despite our fans terror of signing anyone even though we are under the cap by a ton, teams out there so stretch every dollar. I wouldn't peg Dallas specifically as a destination for him but I'd guess Dallas doesn't JUST lose guys this year and teams that are considered cap poor can be in play for him

Edited by NoSaint

If he is as good as what you guys say, I think he would be more important than Byrd. Sign this guy and trade Byrd if Money is the issue Ralph!

he has been a good player in the league, but im guessing outside of bills vs browns games there are very few that have watched him much and most are going based off of the high tackle totals, good madden rating... and now the outpouring of support from players. I dont mean that as a big knock, just that im not sure how many have any gauge of how much hed add or what hed be worth beyond "definitely couldnt hurt!"

as for the byrd money reference - im guessing we have 3 LBs on the field about 50% of the time, and already have lawson and kiko, so id rather pay the safety and get a value guy that can be a short yardage thumper and go sit on the bench in nickel and dime packages than a core linebacker.... invest in the safety thats on the field 100% of plays

Edited by NoSaint

Exactly why I'm not all over this...Love DQ, but if we're going to "overpay" for a LB in FA, I'd want someone about 5-6 years his jr. The only one that jumps off the FA list at me is Butler from S.D. however, looks as if they're working on keeping him in Southern CA.

Butler is a baller. SD would be dumb if they left him leave but if they did, I'd be all over it. He can keep a second home in SD.

Butler is a baller. SD would be dumb if they left him leave but if they did, I'd be all over it. He can keep a second home in SD.

Have a source there...Butler was a thorn in their side in the same fashion as Byrd this year, and refused to play citing he was hurt but he could play. Very upset over contract. He picked it up big time when it looked like they were playoff-bound and now he is inclined to stay. But he is far from an easy signing. At the end of the day, SD really needs his talent and he also is young, so as you said, they would be smart to lock him up but they are still reeling from the cap issues AJ Smith left behind. Edited by YoloinOhio