New NFL Penalty

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't wait to hear these penalties announced. Especially by Hochuli.

GO BILLS!!!

I can't wait to see the hand/arm signal they'll come up with when announcing it, though I'm sure they'll default to Unsportsmanlike...

Could be missing a great opportunity here..

What are the odds the Pats will benefit from this call more often than they are hurt by it?

As close to 100 per cent as can possibly be imagined.

Teams comprised mostly of honkey peckerwoods always get the benefit of the doubt.

GO BILLS!!!

Clearly, such a rule would be designed because racial slurs are deemed insensitive. However, to be fair to all players, I think all players should undergo a battery of psychological tests and interviews to determine what would be most insensitive to each individual player. For example, one player might be less offended by racial slurs and more offended by remarks about his mother, his manhood, etc. - or maybe just compile a "Top 10 things that offend me the most" list for each player. Of course, these lists will only be known to the league and the refs - and not to other players. Each player will be microphoned and each player will have the ability to make an official complaint if he feels something was said that was insensitive to him. The ref will be able to review audio for the accused and make a ruling.

If the ref finds the accusation credible, then a fifteen yard penalty would be imposed. However, if a player clearly makes a false allegation, or what was said to him wasn't on his specific "list" of top 10 most offensive things - then his team will be assessed a fifteen yard penalty or lose a timeout. Or, the player that was falsely accused can be afforded the opportunity to say one thing he believes would be most offensive or insensitive to the player that falsely accused him. And, If the falsely accused player manages to say something that is on the accuser's top 10 list - then he should be awarded some sort of bonus.

I think we are on to something here....

Clearly, such a rule would be designed because racial slurs are deemed insensitive. However, to be fair to all players, I think all players should undergo a battery of psychological tests and interviews to determine what would be most insensitive to each individual player. For example, one player might be less offended by racial slurs and more offended by remarks about his mother, his manhood, etc. - or maybe just compile a "Top 10 things that offend me the most" list for each player. Of course, these lists will only be known to the league and the refs - and not to other players. Each player will be microphoned and each player will have the ability to make an official complaint if he feels something was said that was insensitive to him. The ref will be able to review audio for the accused and make a ruling.

If the ref finds the accusation credible, then a fifteen yard penalty would be imposed. However, if a player clearly makes a false allegation, or what was said to him wasn't on his specific "list" of top 10 most offensive things - then his team will be assessed a fifteen yard penalty or lose a timeout. Or, the player that was falsely accused can be afforded the opportunity to say one thing he believes would be most offensive or insensitive to the player that falsely accused him. And, If the falsely accused player manages to say something that is on the accuser's top 10 list - then he should be awarded some sort of bonus.

I think we are on to something here....

Generally speaking this is a good set of ideas, but from a practicality standpoint it would be time consuming to implement.

Richard Pryor used to have a standup routine on words you can't say on television. I think it was about 8-10 words. The NFL could have a list about that long and add "Marcia" which could only be called when Tom Brady was involved.

Generally speaking this is a good set of ideas, but from a practicality standpoint it would be time consuming to implement.

Richard Pryor used to have a standup routine on words you can't say on television. I think it was about 8-10 words. The NFL could have a list about that long and add "Marcia" which could only be called when Tom Brady was involved.

And if: "Marcia, Marcia, Marcia!" is said inappropriately, will that warrant a 45 yard penalty?

In theory this is a good idea. But the enforecement would be a gray area. If one player genuinely compliments another player on the other team"Good play N****a." Which happens alot, is that enforced? What if it's one player saying to another player on his own team about "That N***** hit me so hard." Since it isn't said to them? How often are racial slurs used in a negative way now that it needs to be enforced?

After thinking about this I have a few more questions.

First, is this even a common enough issue right now for a rule like this to be warrented?

Second, most of the articles I've read focus on the N-word, but is this a pre-emptive thing to prevent homophobic slurs now that we're most likely looking at having a gay NFL player?

What would be different about this? I assumed this was already covered under the unsportsmanlike conduct rule.

Personally, if this is an issue, they should hit them where it hurts. If it's heard by a ref, report it to the NFL, or team, and let them deal with it with fines and/or suspensions after a review. It seems way to subjective to be something that could affect the outcome of the game.