Jairus Byrd [was Jarius Byrd]

Joe Buscaglia@JoeBuscaglia 8h

Byrd's cap hit goes up to $9,833,333.33 in 2015 however. But the $6M roster bonus owed then might be able to be converted to a signing bonus

Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

so tis morning the buffalo news states the bills best offer to byrd was about $7.5 mil per year. Where did the much bandied $10 mil figure come from? i don't think anyone appreciates being lied to.

First 3 years 10 per, last 3 at 5 per?

Maybe? Meshes with no details on the back half except rumors byrds camp didnt like that it was "front loaded" which doesn't make sense unless the front half is the only part at the desired pay rate and the back is much lower.

Edited by NoSaint

Byrd essentially signed a 2 year $20 million deal with a club option for year three. Almost all of year 3 is guaranteed for injury only, which means if Byrd passes a physical they can avoid paying him 6 mill. After year 3 his deal becomes almost all salary and no bonus. Look for Byrd to be a FA again in 2016.

Byrd essentially signed a 2 year $20 million deal with a club option for year three. Almost all of year 3 is guaranteed for injury only, which means if Byrd passes a physical they can avoid paying him 6 mill. After year 3 his deal becomes almost all salary and no bonus. Look for Byrd to be a FA again in 2016.

Nope - the signing bonus would create a 7m cap hit after year 2. Look for the saints to make a decision after year 3 as kenny vaccaro will be hitting free agency. That would put Byrd as a 30year old free agent like I said up thread was his natural crossroads as well.

the ONLY money figure that matters is guaranteed money.

he got 28 mil guaranteed with new Orleans. I have no idea what buffalo offered, but i'm pretty sure it was a lot less.

The more we hear about the offers the more I think the first 3 year were very similar and it was about the back half (ie either keep paying me or let me go after year 3) and possibly playing for a winner on this

Edited by NoSaint

First 3 years 10 per, last 3 at 5 per?

Maybe? Meshes with no details on the back half except rumors byrds camp didnt like that it was "front loaded" which doesn't make sense unless the front half is the only part at the desired pay rate and the back is much lower.

The only reason I can think of not wanting a front loaded deal is it lessens the chance of the player getting one more big payday if he plays really well...If it's a 6 year deal and the last three years are low salary years there's little chace he'll ever see Free Agency again...

I don't think there's any doubt the Saints are going to have to look at Byrd's deal again after the third year the way it's constructed...Maybe that's what Parker wants...

That's all I've got... :huh:

Know why we didn't tag him? We offered 7.5. Tag was 7.8. We didn't think he was WORTH the tag #.

I would have preferred we just kept Hopkins over Carpenter and spent that extra $ on Byrd to get to the $9m. We would have had similar if not the same results on the kicking and could have kept Byrd.

funny, the Bills could get nothing for Byrd. I wonder how the other teams do it?

I think that this is a legit question. Why is a soon to be 31 year old running back tradable but an in his prime sure fire starter on 30 teams is not?

Anyone? Buehler?...Buehler?...Buehler?

(please do better than mentioning a conditional pick)

<edit> Aren't the Saints the team that stepped up after the Lynch trade & said "we'd have given more if we knew he was available." Maybe OBD doesn't realize that there is a team in NO. </edit>

The only reason I can think of not wanting a front loaded deal is it lessens the chance of the player getting one more big payday if he plays really well...If it's a 6 year deal and the last three years are low salary years there's little chace he'll ever see Free Agency again...

I don't think there's any doubt the Saints are going to have to look at Byrd's deal again after the third year the way it's constructed...Maybe that's what Parker wants...

That's all I've got... :huh:

IF and that's an all caps IF the reports are true there's no reason to want the deal front loaded if that means removing dollars from the back instead of shifting them.

IF reports were true we offered 7.5m front loaded, not the 10 figure people combined with the front loaded phrase.... with the saints doing a fairly flat 9

IF and that's an all caps IF the reports are true there's no reason to want the deal front loaded if that means removing dollars from the back instead of shifting them.

IF reports were true we offered 7.5m front loaded, not the 10 figure people combined with the front loaded phrase.... with the saints doing a fairly flat 9

Well...IF...and that's a capital IF as well ( ;) )...The Bills were only offering an average of $7.5, especially over the first three years, than no one including the Bills should be surprised that Byrd walked...Because that was never going to get it done... B-)

Well...IF...and that's a capital IF as well ( ;) )...The Bills were only offering an average of $7.5, especially over the first three years, than no one including the Bills should be surprised that Byrd walked...Because that was never going to get it done... B-)

i feel like you arent understanding how to combine the front loaded and the total average the way im meaning if you still think i might be saying 7.5 the first 3 years.

im saying the bills offered (very roughly for the sake of outlining) 10, 10, 10, 5, 5, 5 - thats 7.5m per year but front loading the cash into the deal (probably a little shy of 30 in reality the first three years and a little higher in the backend)

the saints gave (again rough as i dont want to double check exacts) 12, 7, 9, 9, 9, 9 (most of those 9s being 8.5ish)

if thats the case, of course he didnt want the front loaded deal - because its no more money in the front and a lot smaller overall.

Edited by NoSaint

Know why we didn't tag him? We offered 7.5. Tag was 7.8. We didn't think he was WORTH the tag #.

I would have preferred we just kept Hopkins over Carpenter and spent that extra $ on Byrd to get to the $9m. We would have had similar if not the same results on the kicking and could have kept Byrd.

Tag was 8.3. They didn't offer 7.5 this year, reportedly. They offered 10, reportedly. The 7.5 was the average over the length of the contract. It isn't that they didn't think he was "worth" the tag. They wanted to sign him long-term and the tag was a detriment. Argue it all you want, I see both sides to keeping him another year, but we don't know the whole story and he could have not even signed the tender until July, yadda yadda. Edited by YoloinOhio

so tis morning the buffalo news states the bills best offer to byrd was about $7.5 mil per year. Where did the much bandied $10 mil figure come from? i don't think anyone appreciates being lied to.

The AP report said 5 years with $30 mill gtd in the first three. The second report said an average of $7.5 m. There is no inconsistency. Byrd apparently liked the higher salary numbers in the back end plus the extra year, though in reality, he is unlikely to ever see it. That, plus he just did not want to be in Buffalo. Not sure why people cannot accept that.

Edited by MDFan

Nope - the signing bonus would create a 7m cap hit after year 2. Look for the saints to make a decision after year 3 as kenny vaccaro will be hitting free agency. That would put Byrd as a 30year old free agent like I said up thread was his natural crossroads as well.

The more we hear about the offers the more I think the first 3 year were very similar and it was about the back half (ie either keep paying me or let me go after year 3) and possibly playing for a winner on this

yeah except the Saints gave themselves an out after year 2. His $6 million roster bonus is guaranteed for INJURY only, not skill. Only $20 mill is actually guaranteed, which is the first 2 years. Not to mention the Saints don't care about cap hits since they just cut or restructure players which just shifts the fire sale into a later year. So yeah the only reason for the non guaranteed bonus is to give the Saints an option to save cash and take the cap hit instead. Years 4-6 are just fluff to spread the bonus out with year 3 being the decision year if they want to pay him the bonus.

Byrd was leaving no matter what. He stated that he went to NO because of the "winning culture". Got tired of losing in B'Lo. He was a good player, but he will be easily replaced. No FS is worth what he got in NO.

yeah except the Saints gave themselves an out after year 2. His $6 million roster bonus is guaranteed for INJURY only, not skill. Only $20 mill is actually guaranteed, which is the first 2 years. Not to mention the Saints don't care about cap hits since they just cut or restructure players which just shifts the fire sale into a later year. So yeah the only reason for the non guaranteed bonus is to give the Saints an option to save cash and take the cap hit instead. Years 4-6 are just fluff to spread the bonus out with year 3 being the decision year if they want to pay him the bonus.

the 6m bonus is IN year two. from all reports ive seen. if they intend to keep him past year 3, expect them to turn that into a signing bonus and spread it for the remaining length of the contract while freeing up 5m in space next year for a final push with brees at the helm.

Im a saints season ticket holder, you dont have to explain to me how they manage the roster. they care greatly about cap hits and managing the talent, hence they do cut people and restructure deals. but they do it at times that make sense. cutting him after year 2 would create almost 7m in dead money while saving only 3m in cap dollars. they will let him play that year and then re evaluate at the end of year 3 with only 4.4m in dead money but 6.5m in cap savings, and kenny vaccaro becoming a free agent.

Edited by NoSaint

We ll, the Bills did get screwed by Eugene and Byrd and honestly there is nothing they could do about it. The system is not perfect and they took advantage of a hole in.it. A fact is that the Bills made a handsome offer to Byrd, (I think it was too high an offer) and he refused it because he felt he could/might get more elsewhere. The franchise tag (or transition player tap) works for the league and the players, if the tagged player is ethical and will honestly play for the pay that he gets. Many of our posters here come up with arguments about ways for the Bills to have traded Byrd, but those are all inoperable if Byrd does a strategy of not signing the tag until the last moment, and then taking nearly the entire year off from playing due to a bogus injury. Just play enough at the end of the year to show that he is not hurt, wink wink. The Bills would have lost ~$9M for a few token games at the end of the year, a roster spot, and any ability to plan the players on the team. Byrd/Parker basically stole some assets that belonged to the Bills and put it in their pockets. Let me explain. In a trade for Byrd, there should be two major costs to the receiving team. One is the salary/cap space that that team needs to spend and the second is the draft pick/exchanged player/cash that they give to the player's former team. This second part was a Bill's asset that they invested in drafting Byrd, coaching him, paying him while he gained experience, as well as all the investment in other players who never made it big time or the roster. Byrd/Parker was insisting on unethically working the system so his new team would get this second part for free- and could then put part of that cost into contract dollars for Byrd. The means for doing this was his refusal to play for his pay last year and the unwritten but obvious intension to do the same or worst this coming year. It's that simple. There are a lot of Byrd lovers who can't see anything wrong with their golden boy, and I suggest they start rooting for the Saints. There are also some Bills "fans", who view the entire sports world though a lens of "the Bills are stupid" and find their happiness that way. I look at Byrd as a sleezy guy who was a good safety, but who also has a lot of shortcomings. Remember all the long passes completed against the Bills, with CB's on an island without safety help. Remember how any decent tight end ate our lunch, when Byrd was playing safety. Remember that Byrd never put the fear of God to wide receivers by popping them and giving them short arms. Remember that Byrd's interceptions were mostly bunched up in games where the opponent's QB was severely battered or shellshocked. I rather spend the money on extensions of good young players or bringing in solid veterans for some of our weak spots.

Edited by maryland-bills-fan

Byrd was leaving no matter what. He stated that he went to NO because of the "winning culture". Got tired of losing in B'Lo. He was a good player, but he will be easily replaced. No FS is worth what he got in NO.

You say no FS is worth that $ but it means we now must move Aaron Williams who was excellent at SS to FS and now force Searcy/Meeks/Williams/new draft pick into that SS role. None of those guys deserve to start. We might have to make a draft pick to secure a strong safety.