Stay classy, Arizona. Stay classy.

Easy.

Gay couple: Can you cater our wedding?

Caterer: No I can't I'm way to busy.

It's easy to see how busy they actually are. Or how many new non-gay parties they booked after the gay couple came in for the same time.

Should we start a new government auditing agency for this?

It could be the

Gay Lesbian Oversight Verification Edifice

Watching Every Affair Reception, Invitation, Newlywed Gala,

Monitoring All Revelry Yearly

It is a little long I admit and could use an acronym.

Has anyone actually read the Arizona bill?

She had to veto it so we could find out what is in it.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please explain to me what is hateful about this bill? If I were a photographer shouldn't I have the right to refuse to take pictures at a NAMBLA convention? How about a Tea Party rally? What if I were a devout Muslim and refused to enter a church to take pictures of a baptism? Should it be illegal for me to hold to my beliefs? Would it be fair to be setting myself up for a lawsuit?

Let's take things a step further. Do I have the right (as a baker) to make one person pay up front for their wedding cake while letting another pay on delivery?

So what was the purpose of the law?

Anyone who hasn't should stop opining on it. Unless they're in congress, that is.

So you have read the Obamacare law?

I did.

It doesn't mention gays anywhere. It allows anyone to discriminate against anyone based on religious beliefs.

Should be cool w/you.

You could of formed the Church of Latter Day Anti-Idiots (LDAI). Move to AZ and you could have legally discriminated against all the idiots!

You should be supporting this... ;-P

"Tom, I need some advice."

"STFU, you idiot and get outta my face!"

How simple is that? Oh wait, you do that already.

So what was the purpose of the law?

From what I understand it allows people to choose to not do business with others if it goes against their religious convictions. Why don't you specifically answer the questions that I posed to you in Post #95 of this thread?

Yes, I have. Part of my job function requires that I understand how policy and legislation will effect the marketplace. To greatly oversimplify, I can't do my job if I don't understand those implications, and I can't understand the implications if I don't read and understand the law.

I did.

It doesn't mention gays anywhere. It allows anyone to discriminate against anyone based on religious beliefs.

when did religious beliefs get so focalized upon sexualiry/preferences?

This isn't a question for Tom. But for anyone who wants to answer it. Because its stupid that news organizations are taking one snippet about a hypothetical law and outcome to determine it is against religion or homosexuals.

Pass the law. Let people choose what they want. Itd have been a non issue and lose all relevance in a short time.

My Brother’s Keeper’ and Government-Sponsored Discrimination

Various news outlets are reporting that today the president will announce the “My Brother’s Keeper” program. The details have yet to be provided, but apparently it will involve a combined effort of businesses, philanthropies, and government to improve the prospects of at-risk black and Latino young men.

The obvious question, which I raised when the program was first hinted at in the President’s State of the Union speech, is why the program should be limited to young men of certain racial and ethnic groups – indeed, why it should not also include young women.

It is almost always unconstitutional for the government (and any private program that receives federal money) to discriminate on the basis of race and ethnicity. There is no “compelling” interest to do so here. It may be that a disproportionate number of blacks and Latinos are at-risk, but many are not, and many whites, Asians, and others are. This is just another kind of “profiling.”

Nor will it do to say that there are other programs available for those being excluded here, as one White House official is quoted as saying. This is just another separate-but-equal argument.

President Obama has caved in to pressure from the left – the Congressional Black Caucus and others — to do something he was generally unwilling to do up to now: Endorse a federal program that is overtly limited to those of a particular color. Too bad.

I did.

I just read it too. It's two !@#$ing pages and yes, no mention of gays.

Google Arizona Anti-Gay Law and see how many hit you get from main stream media. Good job once again pushing an agenda vs reporting the news.

Edited by Chef Jim

Yes, I have. Part of my job function requires that I understand how policy and legislation will effect the marketplace. To greatly oversimplify, I can't do my job if I don't understand those implications, and I can't understand the implications if I don't read and understand the law.

I hope you don't think that'll shut him up.

I hope you don't think that'll shut him up.

Maybe this will:

http://www.nationalreview.com/feed/372116/canada-muslim-barbers-vs-lesbians-greg-pollowitz

So a lesbian walks into a Muslim barbershop, and asks for a “businessmen’s haircut”.

It sounds like the beginning of a joke, but it really happened, and now a government agency called the Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario will hear her complaint.

Faith McGregor is the lesbian who doesn’t like the girly cuts that they do at a salon. She wants the boy’s hairdo.

Omar Mahrouk is the owner of the Terminal Barber Shop in Toronto. He follows Shariah law, so he thinks women have cooties. As Mahrouk and the other barbers there say, they don’t believe in touching women other than their own wives.

But that’s what multiculturalism and unlimited immigration from illiberal countries means. A central pillar of many immigrant cultures is the second-class citizenship of women and gays.

So if we now believe in multiculturalism, and that our Canadian culture of tolerance isn’t any better than the Shariah culture of sex crimes and gender apartheid, who are we to complain when Omar Mahrouk takes us up on our promise that he can continue to practise his culture — lesbian haircuts be damned?