Draft: Jadeveon Clowney DE

Wattdogg35

Clowney had a good pro day, but the cost of trading up would be far too great to justify. From everything I've read, it would take this years 1st and 2nd and next years 1st PLUS another pick next year to move to #1. For what? Buffalo was #2 in QB sacks last season. Quarterback pressure is not what's missing from the defense, but linebackers that can stop the run. They were gashed last year on the ground. Everything I'm seeing and reading about Clowney is that although he's the best athlete in the draft, that he's not the best football player. He has motivation issues to boot. That does not sound to me to be worthy of firsts and a second.

You should copy this post, put it in your sig, and then revisit your prediction in 3-4 years. I would guess that you are way off base here. Not bashing your opinion...I just think Clowney is going to be absolutely dominant.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You should copy this post, put it in your sig, and then revisit your prediction in 3-4 years. I would guess that you are way off base here. Not bashing your opinion...I just think Clowney is going to be absolutely dominant.

I don't think what you're reading into my post is accurate. I'm saying that the Bills pass rush was good enough last year that they don't NEED an updgrade at the cost it would take to make that upgrade. At the end of the day, they're not one DE away from a Superbowl, such that they can ignore all the other positions of need. Do I think Clowney will be good? Sure. I just remember all the same hype about Dareus too and how all of his measurables were better than Suh's were when he came out of school. There was an ESPN special just for him. There are extenuating circumstances of course with Dareus, but the observation stands.

Remember what we gave up for Bennett. Was that worth it?

Clowney has been the best player in America till this year when he was triple teamed and trying to stay healthy so we could draft him. He can hang with Gilmour.

I had to go back and look to remember exactly. Rams got 3 first and 3 seconds for Dickerson (plus Greg Bell). Half those picks (2 firsts and a second) came from the Bills. What a blockbuster.

Always hard to evaluate when you don't know who you would have taken with those picks but I'd say it was worth it for the Bills. Colts? Not so much, Dickerson only had two more big years before the miles caught up to him.

Clowney has been the best player in America till this year when he was triple teamed and trying to stay healthy so we could draft him. He can hang with Gilmour.

Agreed. I'd gladly give up what we gave for Bennett if they are as sold on Clowney as we were on Bennett.

GO BILLS!!!

I don't think what you're reading into my post is accurate. I'm saying that the Bills pass rush was good enough last year that they don't NEED an updgrade at the cost it would take to make that upgrade. At the end of the day, they're not one DE away from a Superbowl, such that they can ignore all the other positions of need. Do I think Clowney will be good? Sure. I just remember all the same hype about Dareus too and how all of his measurables were better than Suh's were when he came out of school. There was an ESPN special just for him. There are extenuating circumstances of course with Dareus, but the observation stands.

The Bills aren't one WR, TE, or OT away from the Super Bowl either. I'm not buying the Clowney/Dareus comparisons, as I truly believe Clowney to be a once in a generation pass rusher. A bit premature, but I see him up there with guys like Reggie White and Bruce Smith from a pure talent standpoint.

That said, I wouldn't be in favor of giving up two 1st round picks plus additional picks to get Clowney. He is that good IMO, but Buffalo has so many holes to fill.

The Bills aren't one WR, TE, or OT away from the Super Bowl either. I'm not buying the Clowney/Dareus comparisons, as I truly believe Clowney to be a once in a generation pass rusher. A bit premature, but I see him up there with guys like Reggie White and Bruce Smith from a pure talent standpoint.

That said, I wouldn't be in favor of giving up two 1st round picks plus additional picks to get Clowney. He is that good IMO, but Buffalo has so many holes to fill.

I cant say Bills should give up any picks this year . Getting closer though .

Now if J C dropped.... i dont know how we could say no . We couldn't and its going to be tough for any team above us to say no.

Bet Atlanta gets him somehow if Houston doesn't

We lost Pettine, so we're basically starting over... I'm not happy about that, but hey, it is what it is. Jury is still out on the new guy. After what he did with Suh and Fairley in DET, The Schwartz is gonna have to prove his worth to me.

Something something poor work ethic something something our D had lots of sacks last year something something fake injuries and speeding tickets.

The next 20 replies, summed up.

Poor work ethic? Bruce Smith.

Lots of sacks? Jerry Hughes in the last year of his contract. Mario is due $20 mill next year.

Fake injuries? Mario Williams and Jairus Byrd.

Speeding tickets? You have got to be kidding me, right? That's the biggest joke I have ever heard...just another person who doesn't want football players on his favorite team, he wants the guys from his church's choir. Kiko had worse than speeding tickets, he turned out fine. Mario did too, if I recall correctly.

Edited by Bob Malooga

It was absolutely worth it for Bennett.

Similar things were said about Julius Peppers, and I suspect he'll end up in the HOF.

It was absolutely worth it for Bennett.

Similar things were said about Julius Peppers, and I suspect he'll end up in the HOF.

Peppers is a really good player for sure, but was he ever really dominant? If Peppers had more of a motor, he'd be an all timer. Also, Peppers had 9.5 sacks and 3 INTs his last year in college and he had just as much attention as JC. JC had 3 sacks last year. He's a physical freak but his motor would scare me a bit.

Houston has an interesting problem......they play a 3-4.

clowney is better suited to a 4-3.

I just heard on WGR this morning that they were talking about him playing OLB there? He can drop back in coverage. Edited by YoloinOhio

Peppers is a really good player for sure, but was he ever really dominant? If Peppers had more of a motor, he'd be an all timer. Also, Peppers had 9.5 sacks and 3 INTs his last year in college and he had just as much attention as JC. JC had 3 sacks last year. He's a physical freak but his motor would scare me a bit.

Yes, Peppers has been dominant. Look at his AV (a measure I trust because i trust baseball-reference.com and pro-football-reference.com)--which is PFR's kind-of equivalent to WAR--in 2006, 2010, and 2012. Anything above 15 is an elite season. He's had a great career.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/P/PeppJu99.htm

Edited by dave mcbride

• 2 weeks later...