Jonathan Martin

johnwalter

215 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see 1BD acquire Jonathan Martin for the 2014 season?

• Yes, he is a good but inexpensive player that can fill a hole on the Bills roster.
    • No, the Bills have a strong locker room and Martin would put the team's chemistry at risk.

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As always, I operate using the eyeball test...here's a few reviews of his rookie season though:

PFF Review:

https://www.profootb...recap-afc-east/

It was a tough season for Martin regardless of which side he lined up. His -22.0 grade placed him 76th out of the top 80 tackles and his 92.0 PBE ranked 50th out of 52. His five starts at left tackle came after starter Jake Long went down to injury and with Long’s pending free agent status, Martin may stay there long term. No matter which side he plays, Martin must show improvement after a difficult rookie campaign.

Film breakdown by Ben Muth (one of the best OL analysts out there IMO):

http://www.footballo...ure-no-openings

And, amazingly, rookie left tackle Jonathan Martin recognized a blitz by safety Derrick Martin, slid out to pick him up, and still got beat. Yes, Derrick Martin, giving up 100-plus pounds, drove Jonathan Martin backwards before shedding him for a sack

More analysis:

[it's a Bleacher Report article...not sure why I cannot post it...]

This kinda supports what my eyeballs have been telling me.

Maybe this is a forbidden thing to bring up but I have the impression he might be gay. Something about his mannerisms. There is a story/rumor that his O-line went on vacation together with Incognito and didn't invite Martin. Could it have been a female hunting kind of vacation and his teammates thought he wouldn't be into that? Maybe he's not ready to exit the closit? Maybe I'm misreading him. I don't know.

Like someone here said, there's more to this story than misbehaving teammates.

As for bringing him to Buffalo for a tryout; he caused great harm to the Dolphin organization. I can't imagine any owner or GM having much enthusiasm for his addition to their team.

Maybe this is a forbidden thing to bring up but I have the impression he might be gay. Something about his mannerisms. There is a story/rumor that his O-line went on vacation together with Incognito and didn't invite Martin. Could it have been a female hunting kind of vacation and his teammates thought he wouldn't be into that? Maybe he's not ready to exit the closit? Maybe I'm misreading him. I don't know.

As for bringing him to Buffalo for a tryout; he caused great harm to the Dolphin organization. I can't imagine any owner or GM having much enthusiasm for his addition to their team.

I've had the same thought myself, but not due to anything other than the way he was ostracized. For what it's worth, he wouldn't be the first gay NFL LT from Stanford...

It's not crusade. Maybe Martin shoudl have gotten help before leaving the team. But I'm not going to throw away a 24 year old player with talent because he struggled to deal with an awful human being. If Martin's issue was with almost any other player in the league, I won't back him as strongly. But if he is truly committed to playing football, I'd welcome the Bills bringing him and hoping his talent will shine in a good environment. Just my 2 cents.

Yeah. The classy Bryant McKinnie (check out the Love Boat scandal) and Pouncey brother ( Free Hernandez!) did. Great examples of wonderful people. I'd lean more towards the side of David Shaw and Andrew Luck but that's just me.

Jonathan Martin's problem wasn't dealing with Richie Incongnito.

Jonathan Martin's problem was that he sucked and playing football in the NFL.

He has already been thrown away.

The Bills can dumpster dive for someone else.

Edited by Why So Serious?

only as a left guard, so I would say, the chances are low for that to happen.

thats good insight .

Mark me down in the group that would rather have Incognito back. They never should have let him leave.

your insane too then :w00t:

I've had the same thought myself, but not due to anything other than the way he was ostracized. For what it's worth, he wouldn't be the first gay NFL LT from Stanford...

So is incognito, hence the drama

I really hate when people post polls that are a yes or no question, but add their own qualifiers and opinions to each choice.

I voted "No", but don't care about team chemistry or the locker room. I dont want him because I dont think he's a very good player, nor has what it takes to be one.

It's not crusade. Maybe Martin shoudl have gotten help before leaving the team. But I'm not going to throw away a 24 year old player with talent because he struggled to deal with an awful human being. If Martin's issue was with almost any other player in the league, I won't back him as strongly. But if he is truly committed to playing football, I'd welcome the Bills bringing him and hoping his talent will shine in a good environment. Just my 2 cents.

Yeah. The classy Bryant McKinnie (check out the Love Boat scandal) and Pouncey brother ( Free Hernandez!) did. Great examples of wonderful people. I'd lean more towards the side of David Shaw and Andrew Luck but that's just me.

I don't understand what you are trying to say. There have been plenty of locker room punks in sports teams throughout history. There haven't been many guys who walked away from the game and went to the media because of those punks.

Didn't Hernandez try to fight Welker back in the day? Welker didn't quit. That's the point.

For a team that is using a roster spot for Mark Asper, acquiring Martin for a look see at RT doesn't sound that bad -- nobody is suggesting giving up a high round pick -- more than likely a 7th, if anything --- take a look at our roster, especially at OL, it is not very deep ---- we have holes to fill

Yes, and we prefer to fill them with good players. Say no to Martin.

Exactly.

OL is my biggest concern right now, and I'd rather not waste time and energy on Martin. Plus, he doesnt seem like the kind of guy who would get fired up when having to play the Dolphins twice a year. If anything, it's giving the Fish a psychological advantage.

Nah, stay away.

The NFL gives second third fourth and fifth chances for drugs beatung up your girlfriend, killing someone in a car accident Donte Stallworth or any other indiscretion you can come up with.

But someone who stands up for himself nobody wants?

He might be a decent RT, if not we can always release him for one of the other felons to play in the NFL.

Edited by oman128

I don't think its off limits by any means, but I think you missed the boat on the discussion of it.

The NFL gives second third fourth and fifth chances for drugs beatung up your girlfriend, killing someone in a car accident Donte Stallworth or any other indiscretion you can come up with.

But someone who stands up for himself nobody wants?

He might be a decent RT, if not we can always release him for one of the other felons to play in the NFL.

The problem here is he's going into his 3rd year and has shown no real signs of being a decent RT since college. While it may be due to a toxic situation, he's still at best a player with major holes in his game who has been out if football for several months now. I hope he finds a spot and succeeds but my gut tells me he's not the best option around.