Bills hire Jim Hostler as Senior Offensive Assistant

d_wag

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not that souped up. It seems to traditionally equate to quality assistant but older and more experienced. Odds are he will break down film, help game plan and work on special projects.

If memory serves, wasn't this Dick LeBeau's title (obviously on the defensive side) for his short stint here? His influence was felt from the first, so I'd think that we'll see considerably more input from Hostler than a mere quality assistant.

I know very little about him, but the fact that he was promoted from his post as a positional coach in San Fran to OC, and was a finalist for the same promotion in Baltimore, gives me some hope that he shows promise as an offensive mind (whether or not he's ready for a coordinator position).

If memory serves, wasn't this Dick LeBeau's title (obviously on the defensive side) for his short stint here? His influence was felt from the first, so I'd think that we'll see considerably more input from Hostler than a mere quality assistant.

I know very little about him, but the fact that he was promoted from his post as a positional coach in San Fran to OC, and was a finalist for the same promotion in Baltimore, gives me some hope that he shows promise as an offensive mind (whether or not he's ready for a coordinator position).

it can definitely vary team to team and coach to coach - from most of my descriptions that i have heard, it just tends to skew towards film breakdown, gameplanning, and such more than on field position coaching and technique (not always true though). obviously a QA is going to have a lot more grunt work, whereas he (if he follows the type ive heard more about) will have actual solid input but as a cliffnotes primer that i think many here are familiar with i figured i would use that as a jumping off point

Edited by NoSaint

My buddy in Baltimore said that the story there is Harbaugh wanted to give Hostler the OC job (it had come down to him and Kyle Shanahan) and that Gary Kubiak was a last-minute candidate. The owner Bisciotti basically made Harbaugh hire Kubiak. Apparently, Hostler is a good friend of Harbaugh, and not sure all of what went down but one can assume he was told the job would be his and then the whole Kubiak thing happened. Also, he said Jacoby Jones is an idiot and we can have him, lol.

Its another buddy of Marrones.

He was a coach with Marrone in NY.

I just hope if **** hits the fan Marrone has the brass to fire his buddies responsible.

Agreed. If he'd just put an add on Craig's list announcing he's looking for coaches instead of hiring people he knows from personal experience are quality coaches the Bills would be much better off.

I just hope if **** hits the fan Marrone has the brass to fire his buddies responsible.

I don't get this. How do you know he is his "buddy" just because they worked together for two years like 3 teams ago? And why does it matter? Every coaching staff in the NFL is made up of guys who knew each other from some stint at some point.

@JohnMurphyShow

Ravens PBP man Gerry Sandusky is on with us now

Sandusky tells us that he thinks Jim Hostler was looking for a fresh start after he didn't get the offensive coordinator position in Balt

He adds that Hostler is an exceptional talent evaluator and to identify players skill sets and adapts to their strengths

He also believes Hostler is a great teacher of technique as evidenced by the growth of WR Torrey Smith

Sandusky tells us that Hostler develops great relationships with players and can help every player on offense including QB EJ Manuel

A true ray of sunshine, this one.

I know it's low hanging fruit, but how can we take anything seriously from a guy named Gerry Sandusky.

This seems like a very solid hire. I like the fact that Marrone seems to have no problem with egos, either his own or other guys. It bodes well for the future.

Marrone, to me, was mediocre in his first season, with hit and miss hires (although the Bills at the time were not in a good position), and with hit or miss in game decisions. The jury is still out but there is a lot to like. This season he needs to step it up. But overall, I am liking the Brandon/Whaley/Marrone trio. It looks, sounds and acts different.