Northwestern Football Team attempting to Unionize

boyst

ESPN - Northwestern football players file petition to NLRB to join labor union; 1st time in NCAA sports history

ESPN - NCAA says Northwestern players' attempt to unionize "undermines the purpose of college: an education"

This is interesting. Not sure how on earth they will be able to do this and I am curious what the University has to say about this. I am on my phone so no linky for the lazy.

I can't imagine they will be able to have the right to unionize. Collect dues. Elect officials. And get free tuition

If this is PPP feel free to move it.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ESPN - Northwestern football players file petition to NLRB to join labor union; 1st time in NCAA sports history

ESPN - NCAA says Northwestern players' attempt to unionize "undermines the purpose of college: an education"

This is interesting. Not sure how on earth they will be able to do this and I am curious what the University has to say about this. I am on my phone so no linky for the lazy.

I can't imagine they will be able to have the right to unionize. Collect dues. Elect officials. And get free tuition

If this is PPP feel free to move it.

With the NLRB?

With the National LABOR RELATIONS Board?

Since when are college students "labor?"

Pay them. The end.

yeah! Pay all of them! The water polo girls. The men's volleyball. The women's equestrian. The men's archery. They're all bona fide athletes who make their school millions!

Pay who exactly? And how much?

Tuition, room & board at Northwestern runs about $60,000 per year.

how about pay the athletes $30k. Let them blow that on rides and whips, suits and video games. Then charge them$60k tuition. When these kids coming from nothing earna ride to the top with nothing more then the ability to run faster or jump higher We will see what who says what when.

What NCAA football, and basketball (and other sports creeping up) have become is a joke. Look into the history of the NCAA. They know they are a scam.

PTR

yeah, those free educations are a scam. Those kids who play semi pro/NCAA benefit the ones who don't go pro. The millions made for the NCAA go right back to the athlete.

With the NLRB?

With the National LABOR RELATIONS Board?

Since when are college students "labor?"

That's basically what the NCAA said. It seems pretty frivolous, but I don't know enough about labor law (or "labour" law-- that's for CBF and the rest of our Canadian brothers :D ) to see if there's an angle here.

I do like the sentiment-- i.e., trying to stick it to the NCAA. But it's doubtful this will go anywhere.

yeah! Pay all of them! The water polo girls. The men's volleyball. The women's equestrian. The men's archery. They're all bona fide athletes who make their school millions!

how about pay the athletes $30k. Let them blow that on rides and whips, suits and video games. Then charge them$60k tuition. When these kids coming from nothing earna ride to the top with nothing more then the ability to run faster or jump higher We will see what who says what when.

yeah, those free educations are a scam. Those kids who play semi pro/NCAA benefit the ones who don't go pro. The millions made for the NCAA go right back to the athlete.

I tend to agree with you boyst. If they don't want to be student athletes, go start their own league or play in Canada. Obviously they see huge benefit to partaking in the NCAA system.

That's basically what the NCAA said. It seems pretty frivolous, but I don't know enough about labor law (or "labour" law-- that's for CBF and the rest of our Canadian brothers :D ) to see if there's an angle here.

I do like the sentiment-- i.e., trying to stick it to the NCAA. But it's doubtful this will go anywhere.

Particularly as undergrads. I do know that, when I was at UB, there was a union for grad students...but technically, as a grad student, if you're an RA or TA (like most are), you are employed by the school. As an undergrad? I had scholarships...I don't recall any sort of implication that I was labor to the school's management.

I like the sentiment, too...the NCAA makes billions off their performance, for which they get little. But this is looney.

Big time college sports is a scam and it's basically indentured servitude - if you don't agree then you should do some actual research. We can keep playing the "but they get a free education!" card but the rules are completely and totally skewed to screw the student athlete for the benefit of the system.

Pay who exactly? And how much?

Tuition, room & board at Northwestern runs about $60,000 per year.

Exactly, noone is forcing them to get a free education @ one of the finer colleges in the country all for playing football. If they don't like how they are treated & getting a scholarship for their services tell them to go into the real world & find a job. Noone is forcing them to attend Northwestern.

Exactly, noone is forcing them to get a free education @ one of the finer colleges in the country all for playing football. If they don't like how they are treated & getting a scholarship for their services tell them to go into the real world & find a job. Noone is forcing them to attend Northwestern.

Disagree, tell that to the regular NW student who comes out of school owing $200 grand in student loans. Noone is forcing these kids to accept these scholarships. If they don't like the way the game is played find something else to do.

Big time college sports is a scam and it's basically indentured servitude - if you don't agree then you should do some actual research. We can keep playing the "but they get a free education!" card but the rules are completely and totally skewed to screw the student athlete for the benefit of the system.

either sue the nfl for its eligibility rules, or start your own league. the NCAA isnt forcing participation, its merely the best option for most athletes.

Edited by NoSaint

my short tenure as a student athlete speaking for itself I can tell you a disproportionate number of athletes did not belong in the school. They could barely speak English, were doing very poorly and steered to certain programs, remedial courses and given a pass for some situations. The school accepts them and therefore is responsibe for their education but some of them overcome the lack of education received prior and some do not.

Paying a football or basketball team is a great idea. They elevate the schools profile. But what about the cross country team? Cheerleaders? Gymnasts? Wrestlers? They should be just as deserving.

I ran track at the Univ. Of Toledo for just over 1 semester before quitting being unhappy with college. I was the last walk on, the only true freshman walk on so I was given a choice to be on the team as a practice only type runner or be an active member. Because of Title IX I could not be active as the number of female athletes was not large enough at my school. The football team had a full roster, basketball, too. The women's track team had 40somethjng girls. The men's team had 14. The women's numbers were high because they were allowed to offer more scholarships and have a larger roster due to title IX. So these kids on the football team receiving a free education do not realize the position they are in.

After a short while and being out of athletics for the first time in 11 years I got depressed. Hated my major. Wanted to transfer to NCSU for Ag and then never did. So I take college athletics personal because of the snub I got. I know what was offered to myself and other athletes. I saw the treatment guys like Chester Taylor, Nick Kaczur, Lance Moore and others got and it was amazing. Taylor was a workaholic and earned it but he was definitely provided some extra means. Moore was a smart guy and all but same thing. kazcur was an idiot. I shared a few classes with him. He hardly showed up and got a lot of great treatment.

Back to the endowment and stashing... Even if they touched a reasonable amount, how much would that be? Other entities are forced by law to distribute a certain %. I undersatnd a place like Harvard, 30 billion dollar endowment and NU are private... So. Harvard's was 35 before the economy tanked and went down to 27... It is now back to 30...

Again... Just saying that the game is too rigged and then you mix in the indentured servitude of the athletes.

I can actually stomach if NU went back away from athletics again and went more the Harvard or University of Chicago route. That is, the de-emphasis of sports... But NU is not going back to that time, they are pushing the poisoned system of athletics.