Detroit Defense: New Bills defense

I looks like we will be going to a strait 43 defense that use small quick players. The Lions LBs are in the 230 - 240 range, DEs 250 - 270 and DTs 290 - 310. Looks like Marcel is going on a diet ;) and Branch leaving :angry: . Personally I'm not a fan of this constantly going from 43 to 34 players, it makes it hard on the players and the defense and is a reason why they struggle. I am also a 34 scheme and player guy so not thrilled about this either.

http://www.detroitlions.com/team/depth-chart.html

according to Buffalo Rumblings;

"Schwartz, who was the defensive coordinator in Tennessee for eight seasons, runs a mostly 4-3 base defense with his defensive ends lining up in a "Wide 9" technique in an effort to maximize their pass-rushing potential."

"The question fans should be asking about Schwartz at this point is how committed he is to that Wide 9 alignment, which changes the roles of the strong-side players drastically, and how much he can bend his system to better fit the skills of players like Lawson, and to better free up Williams. We have more study to do of the Lions' defense under Schwartz - which was coordinated by Gunther Cunningham, who worked with Schwartz in Tennessee, for the record - but right now, it's easy to project the Bills' personnel needs list changing a bit on defense heading into the next few months."

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/buffalo-bills-re-watch/2014/1/25/5344744/comparing-base-defenses-jim-schwartz-vs-mike-pettine

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wish we were getting the Seattle 43, we should have interviewed one of their position coaches while they were on Superbowl bye.

Pete Carroll;

"Our defense is a 4-3 scheme with 3-4 personnel. It's just utilizing the special talents of our guys."{which would fit our personnel}

"I run (my 4-3 defense) with one gap principles but can also make it work with some two gap principles. In principle we want to give our players a chance to know exactly what they have to defend. We also want to give them an attitude in which to do that. We want to be an attacking, aggressive football team. We don't want to sit and read the play like you often have to with "two-gap" principles of play. We want to attack into the gap at the snap, get off the ball to play on their side of the field and get after the quarterback."

The big problem with any "one-gap" approach however is that it allows a ball carrier to get into the secondary if one guy makes a mistake. No matter how aggressive the defense is there is a great amount of discipline that goes with this defense. You have to be very strict about your positioning and the placement of your players. You have to have the ability to maintain relative spacing between your players."

{Basically it's a 2 gap NT and DE to the Strong side and a 1 gap DT and DE to the weak side.}

http://www.fieldgulls.com/football-breakdowns/2013/5/13/4320540/defining-the-seahawks-defense-an-introduction

We need to keep Pettine's old staff. Schwartz shouldn't rock the boat too much with a new defensive scheme, and hopefully the position coaches can work with him to blend Pettine's old stuff with Schwartz's new stuff.

If O'Neil doesn't want to be in buffalo they shouldn't force him - it's a clear promotion and one the bills didn't want to offer/knew he wouldn't take. Let him walk and cross your fingers that Gunther Cunningham will come work for his old buddy a 3rd time.

Weaver is another story - no promotion, no move, he can join him when his contract is up.

Regardless of coaching changes, I don't see major personnel changes on the defense.

I can't recall where I read about Schwartz in that he is very flexible in terms of forming a defense that best suits his players. Rather them making them play a certain style of defense.

Anyway I'm not going to fret about the schemes or tactics just yet, as that Bills D is overloaded with talent that has yet to see its full potential, IMHO. Being #28th against the run is horrid. Aren't teams supposed to stop the run and force teams into passing the ball?

The wide-nine gives allows more leeway in stopping the run in favor of getting more pressure on the passer. Yet, Schwartz's roots have him learning the 46 defense under Jeff Fisher. Which stops the run first and forces the team into passing downs.

So it will be interesting in what style of defense Schwartz employs. All I want to see out of it is forcing more 3 downs and outs, along with wins :D

If O'Neil doesn't want to be in buffalo they shouldn't force him - it's a clear promotion and one the bills didn't want to offer/knew he wouldn't take. Let him walk and cross your fingers that Gunther Cunningham will come work for his old buddy a 3rd time.

Weaver is another story - no promotion, no move, he can join him when his contract is up.

Regardless of coaching changes, I don't see major personnel changes on the defense.

Regarding O'Neil, do the Browns want him enough to send the Bills a 4th or 5th round pick to let him out of his contract? Doesn't seem too unreasonable if he will be their DC

I can't recall where I read about Schwartz in that he is very flexible in terms of forming a defense that best suits his players. Rather them making them play a certain style of defense.

Anyway I'm not going to fret about the schemes or tactics just yet, as that Bills D is overloaded with talent that has yet to see its full potential, IMHO. Being #28th against the run is horrid. Aren't teams supposed to stop the run and force teams into passing the ball?

The wide-nine gives allows more leeway in stopping the run in favor of getting more pressure on the passer. Yet, Schwartz's roots have him learning the 46 defense under Jeff Fisher. Which stops the run first and forces the team into passing downs.

So it will be interesting in what style of defense Schwartz employs. All I want to see out of it is forcing more 3 downs and outs, along with wins :D

http://blogs.buffalo...fensive-scheme/

How do you know what he's going to do? Most good coaches take advantage of the players they have. Before getting all depressed wait a bit and see what he says.

This

So we are going change up the #8 overall defense and the first thing Bills fans have had to feel good about in years?

Yep, Go Bills!! :unsure:

And the alternative was...O'Neil as DC, who has never called a defense before, or Henderson, who only has a year in this system as it is and has not been a successful DC in the past? Pettine left to take a HC position, the Bills did not choose to change anything up. And you don't know exactly yet how much it will change and if that change may be for the better. Edited by YoloinOhio

http://blogs.buffalo...fensive-scheme/

This

And the alternative was...O'Neil as DC, who has never called a defense before, or Henderson, who only has a year in this system as it is and has not been a successful DC in the past? Pettine left to take a HC position, the Bills did not choose to change anything up. And you don't know exactly yet how much it will change and if that change may be for the better.

How dare you be rational in a time of crisis. The lack of respect for the falling sky is ridiculous. You should start a thread apologizing to someone.

I looks like we will be going to a strait 43 defense that use small quick players. The Lions LBs are in the 230 - 240 range, DEs 250 - 270 and DTs 290 - 310. Looks like Marcel is going on a diet ;) and Branch leaving :angry: . Personally I'm not a fan of this constantly going from 43 to 34 players, it makes it hard on the players and the defense and is a reason why they struggle. I am also a 34 scheme and player guy so not thrilled about this either.

Why do people keep talking about switching from a 3-4 to a 4-3 again when the Bllls played mostly a 4-3 last year to begin with? Defenses play mostly nickel so they are rarely even in their base defense anyway. As long as Swartz is aggressive and blitzes I think things will be fine

They just signed Branch to an extension so he isn't going anywhere.

I don't think Swartz's defenses in Tenn were considered smaller quicker defenses either

Edited by Max997

http://www.detroitli...epth-chart.html

according to Buffalo Rumblings;

"Schwartz, who was the defensive coordinator in Tennessee for eight seasons, runs a mostly 4-3 base defense with his defensive ends lining up in a "Wide 9" technique in an effort to maximize their pass-rushing potential."

"The question fans should be asking about Schwartz at this point is how committed he is to that Wide 9 alignment, which changes the roles of the strong-side players drastically, and how much he can bend his system to better fit the skills of players like Lawson, and to better free up Williams. We have more study to do of the Lions' defense under Schwartz - which was coordinated by Gunther Cunningham, who worked with Schwartz in Tennessee, for the record - but right now, it's easy to project the Bills' personnel needs list changing a bit on defense heading into the next few months."

http://www.buffaloru...vs-mike-pettine

Maybe we should let the new DC and HC decide what they are going to run with this specific team, as Schwartz previously worked with different personnel. Also, Branch was signed to an extension.

Why do people keep talking about switching from a 3-4 to a 4-3 again when the Bllls played mostly a 4-3 last year to begin with? Defenses play mostly nickel so they are rarely even in their base defense anyway. As long as Swartz is aggressive and blitzes I think things will be fine

They just signed Branch to an extension so he isn't going anywhere.

I don't think Swartz's defenses in Tenn were considered smaller quicker defenses either

Schwartz is guy known for not blitzing. Maybe he will, but it's not something I'd bank heavily on given his history.

Wish we were getting the Seattle 43, we should have interviewed one of their position coaches while they were on Superbowl bye.

Pete Carroll;

"Our defense is a 4-3 scheme with 3-4 personnel. It's just utilizing the special talents of our guys."{which would fit our personnel}

"I run (my 4-3 defense) with one gap principles but can also make it work with some two gap principles. In principle we want to give our players a chance to know exactly what they have to defend. We also want to give them an attitude in which to do that. We want to be an attacking, aggressive football team. We don't want to sit and read the play like you often have to with "two-gap" principles of play. We want to attack into the gap at the snap, get off the ball to play on their side of the field and get after the quarterback."

The big problem with any "one-gap" approach however is that it allows a ball carrier to get into the secondary if one guy makes a mistake. No matter how aggressive the defense is there is a great amount of discipline that goes with this defense. You have to be very strict about your positioning and the placement of your players. You have to have the ability to maintain relative spacing between your players."

{Basically it's a 2 gap NT and DE to the Strong side and a 1 gap DT and DE to the weak side.}

http://www.fieldgull...an-introduction

While I think Seattle's position coaches are likely pretty good, the Bills are not the right team to take a position coach and make him a DC unless he had some prior DC experience. The Bills have an offensive HC, so while he would be involved in the game plan, personnel decision, etc. of the defense,. our DC really needs to be able to step in and run the show on that side of the ball. That is why the Bills could bring in an inexperienced (NFL-wise) OC, because Marrone is heavily involved in the offense, and why the Browns with Pettine can possibly make a guy like O'Neil the DC. Pettine has already said he plans to call all the defensive plays. Schwartz is a great hire for a few reasons, but his ability to know exactly what he is doing to run a defense and call the defensive plays in a game allows Marrone more time for HC and offense related duties. No one needs a rookie DC on a team like this.

There are typically 2 types of coaches:

1) the one-trick ponies, who are wedded to their scheme; and

2) the guys who have some philosophies, but are flexible and knowledgable to run new or multiple schemes.

the question is whether we know which kind of guy Schwartz is? I am guessing he is the latter, or else he would t have been hired.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2014/01/24/schwartz-says-flexibility-in-defensive-scheme/

Pettine made the best use of the personnel on hand to make his scheme fit. I believe Schwartz will do the same.

Gailey wanted to make the defense into a 3-4 when he was first hired, when it wasn't suited for it. That bad memory is still fresh in a lot of people's minds.

Most coaches have big egos, and prefer bringing along the scheme that worked best for them.

If Schwartz is smart, he will copy Pettine's defense exactly - with a couple tweaks to improve gap control against the run. However, highly doubt this will happen.