Bills hire Jim Schwartz DC, Todd Downing QB coach

FluffHead

Give em time. They haven't gotten over the kicked in the nuts feeling from Pettine leaving yet,

Come camp, or even OTAs, the general feeling will be excitement over how dominant this defense is going to be. You know, like last summer.

and the summer before.

• Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll admit I knew very little about Schwartz before he was hired. After listening to him speak several times and learning about his past, he's a very, very smart guy. I wouldn't have imagined that.

I agree with the poster, however, who said if we don't have a top ten defense next year, he will have failed somewhat as a coach. Of course, either top 10 in total defense, or top 10 scoring defense qualify IMO.

Extremely bright. Georgetown grad. He admitted he wasn't the best athlete but played on their DIII squad. These are sometimes the best coaches. He understands the players but moreover, he understands much, much more about the game.

ProFootballTalk@ProFootballTalk 2h

Teammates deny Suh is a problem in the locker room http://wp.me/p14QSB-9p5X

Tim Twentyman@ttwentyman 23h

According to one #Lions coach who was with Suh all his first four years in the NFL, Suh was never late for a meeting once.

Chris McCosky@cmccosky Feb 1

Talked to Rob Sims this morning. Said Heath Evans story on Suh was BS. Story will be up in a while

Edited by YoloinOhio

@mikerodak

Getting the inside scoop on Jim Schwartz from ESPN Lions reporter @mikerothstein: http://es.pn/LLL5XA

Good read - thanks for posting... interesting about how he will do things based on the talent he has, I think people forget that just because he did things one way with one team he would do the exact same with totally different players. In Detroit, I assume Suh got a lot from attention from the OL and he may not have had the ability to get sacks otherwise whereas in Bflo, the more attn Mario gets the more sacks Kyle gets, etc. I think when he had Avril they were much stronger, obviously. He comes off a little arrogant/egotistical (when it comes to football), I can see his personality rubbing a fan base the wrong way because most people don't get X's and O's and they aren't supposed to, but it can wear down a coach that intelligent. As a DC fans won't hear from him much, so not really concerned, and I think Marrone knows exactly what he is getting.

Good read - thanks for posting... interesting about how he will do things based on the talent he has,

This is very good to hear. You always hear that the best coaches are the ones who mold their system around the strengths of their talent. Yet, we get coaches like Greggo and Jauron and probably the other jokers who decided we are going to change the system to what they like to use.

This is very good to hear. You always hear that the best coaches are the ones who mold their system around the strengths of their talent. Yet, we get coaches like Greggo and Jauron and probably the other jokers who decided we are going to change the system to what they like to use.

i cant say that the article strongly (if at all) made that point. it simply said that he leaned heavily on his front 4 because they were talented - but that is the same as the scheme he had each year in detroit, and also throughout his tennessee career. in fact, the reporter being interviewed noted that he wasnt all that flexible within his game plans week to week when asked about him saying he would tailor gameplans weekly to opponents this year.

that said, we have a strong front 4, so leaning on that may not be a bad thing.

Edited by NoSaint

i cant say that the article strongly (if at all) made that point. it simply said that he leaned heavily on his front 4 because they were talented - but that is the same as the scheme he had each year in detroit, and also throughout his tennessee career. in fact, the reporter being interviewed noted that he wasnt all that flexible within his game plans week to week when asked about him saying he would tailor gameplans weekly to opponents this year.

that said, we have a strong front 4, so leaning on that may not be a bad thing.

Great. Then scratch my point. We have another system first guy!

I hated Williams for taking our great 3-4 D and making it 4-3, which I would have been OK with, if he didn't get rid of Ted Washington. Ted and Pat in the middle of a 4-3 would have been great.

Then don't get me started on the Tampa 2 of Jauron!

Great. Then scratch my point. We have another system first guy!

I hated Williams for taking our great 3-4 D and making it 4-3, which I would have been OK with, if he didn't get rid of Ted Washington. Ted and Pat in the middle of a 4-3 would have been great.

Then don't get me started on the Tampa 2 of Jauron!

I don't think it is that black and white. Just because this reporter says he wasn't flexible before doesn't mean he isn't now or won't be next year. Keeping in mind that in Tennessee he was running Fisher's D as he was a defensive HC for the most part an taking direction from him, in Detroit, Cunningham was creating the game plan under his direction. Now, he is creating the game plan but under an offensive HC's direction. He may be able to do things differently, and may want to.

I don't think it is that black and white. Just because this reporter says he wasn't flexible before doesn't mean he isn't now or won't be next year. Keeping in mind that in Tennessee he was running Fisher's D as he was a defensive HC for the most part an taking direction from him, in Detroit, Cunningham was creating the game plan under his direction. Now, he is creating the game plan but under an offensive HC's direction. He may be able to do things differently, and may want to.

he very well might make wholesale changes - and im sure no matter what there will be atleast minor tweaks and natural evolution to it but id be surprised still if it ended up being anything outside primarily 4 man fronts, and light blitzing (i know thats a dirty phrase around here after wanny).

that said, in tennessee i think he had a reasonable amount of freedom, as he and gregg williams who came before him were pretty different - williams of course being known for his blitz packages and schwartz for his lack thereof.

Edited by NoSaint

Why would he make wholesale changes? It's not like the defense was bad. There are areas that need to be improved and I'd expect tweaks instead.

his defenses his entire career are very different than what we ran last year. the debate is whether he is going to flip his philosophy upside down to fit what we ran, or if we are going to run something new. I couldnt find the numbers for last year in a quick search but Pettines last several years with the jets ranged from 35% - 50% blitzes(and id guess we were consistent with that range, right at the top of the nfl in percentage), while this article referenced schwartz getting up to 19% last year when he started blitzing a little more down the stretch (third lowest percentage in the nfl, wanny blitzed 15% for a comp point - not to say schwartzs players will be as ineffective at all aspects of their jobs). His sack totals the last 10+ years range from 32 as a low, to 44 as a high with an average at about 40, while last year we had 57. either he is making a wholesale change or we are going to make a wholesale change.

Pettines Defense was disguised, and confusing with a lot of creative blitz packages.

After reading that article, which states Schwartz blitzed only 20% of the time last year(3rd least in the NFL), it sounds like he is more like Wanny then Pettine, which makes me cringe.

I really liked Pettine, his attacking style of defense was perfect for the talent here. I pray Schwartz installs the same type of defense and doesn't rely on just the front four to get pressure, because as we saw with Wanny, it was a complete disaster.

it can be effective - schwartz has run it long term, and had great success some years. the giants won some big ones with it too. its just tough to maintain that success long term because you need GREAT pass rushers up front (which are expensive in picks and pay) so its hard to keep them all signed and have depth when ones hurt. wannys guys also were making terrible reads, not trusting each other etc.... when its good it can be really good, when its bad you can easily set records for how bad (spags in new orleans and wanny being the two prime examples). even if we head that direction scheme wise, if our front 4 stays healthy (not to make excuses for wanny but mario had the wrist, kyle was hurt, dareus had his slow start, and anderson was out) it could still be effective. or he might decide to gamble a bit extra - coaches do change their ways and he could be riverboat jim and send the house this year.

Edited by NoSaint

Pettines Defense was disguised, and confusing with a lot of creative blitz packages.

After reading that article, which states Schwartz blitzed only 20% of the time last year(3rd least in the NFL), it sounds like he is more like Wanny then Pettine, which makes me cringe.

I really liked Pettine, his attacking style of defense was perfect for the talent here. I pray Schwartz installs the same type of defense and doesn't rely on just the front four to get pressure, because as we saw with Wanny, it was a complete disaster.

Seattle didnt blitz much. Granted, the Bills defense isn't nearly as good overall but the front four are.

Seattle didnt blitz much. Granted, the Bills defense isn't nearly as good overall but the front four are.

its another good example.

their coverage helps a lot too though. if leodis plays well again, gilmore shows his potential and we have byrd/williams over the top... well... i guess im saying our talent isnt as far off, but we have to maximize the output from that talent like they do.

All I could find was that through the first 5 games of the 2103 season, the Bills sent 5 or more players 29% of the time on opponents' passing plays, which usually ranks 12-15th in the league. I figure that continued and the difference I see is that Schwartz could see it was effective for the Bills and would want to continue doing that. At least on obvious passing downs. The thing I'd want to know is how many times did they blitz and get gashed by the run, which is an area to tweak?