Pettine has officially signed on as coach of the Browns

cale

Good. He is a sellout. yes, a sellout. he left a team on the rise, tons of promise, for more power and money. he already had both, just wanted more. he can take that bum Byrd with him, and anyone else who doesn't want to be a part of this town and team!!!!

You are obviously very passionate about the Bills and Buffalo. But to players and coaches, football is a business. If you think of it that way for a minute you will understand.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny thing about perception. The Pettine hire is seen here as a bummer for Bills fans, in Cleveland the Browns fans are shouting "NO!" and on ESPN Sports Nation Poll it was seen as a bad hire (39% pro 61% con). Time will tell who is correct.

It's possible to be a bad hire for Cleveland AND still be detrimental to the Bills. He's up for completely different positions on each team.

DrD, I was approaching from the snap shot point of view. Was not looking at it long term impact/results of the hire. Just found the reactions interesting.

Ah I gotcha! :thumbsup:

Yeah, the few friends I have that are Browns fans told me to "keep him" when I told them I was upset with their team for taking our guy. Almost makes it more frustrating! :doh:

Pettine is going to be very busy as he rounds out his staff, reviews the roster (film and evaluations) and gets with the GM on what the needs are. Then off to Indy (Feb 18-25) for the Combine. All he while trying to get acclimated to the city and find a place to live. Reminds me of doing PCS (permanent change of station) in the Army.

Yeah, the few friends I have that are Browns fans told me to "keep him" when I told them I was upset with their team for taking our guy. Almost makes it more frustrating! :doh:

I'm sure they had no clue who Pettine was until he was announced. Like a lot of Bills fans a year ago, they wanted a "name". What they also failed to realize is no "names" wanted the job.

I'm sure they had no clue who Pettine was until he was announced. Like a lot of Bills fans a year ago, they wanted a "name". What they also failed to realize is no "names" wanted the job.

But the Bills hiring Marrone was one team going in one direction and the Pettine hiring having that team going in the opposite direction. I'll let you figure out what directions those may be.

After thinking about the Briowns situation some more, it may not as toxic as some people think. No one thought hiring Chud was a great move and the Browns found that out a year later, but at least they found out and didn't flounder with a bad coach for 3-4 years, which seems to be the norm for bad teams in the NFL. The Browns saw a weakness (Chud) and corrected it right away by hiring Pettine to better their team, even at the expense of looking stupid. Can't say the Bills would do a similar move.

Pettine was the only somewhat credible guy the Browns could find for the job. I wish him luck, i really have no clue if Pettine will be any good. I do know how i felt when the Bills hired Marrone, i feel the same way today. Let down. It took Marrone a year to realize you need a QB coach and OC. I am willing to bet Pettine will have the right amount of coaches on his staff.

Between Marrone and Pettine, i go with Pettine. Hope i am wrong...

Couple Browns fans at work discussing it with other fans... convo went something like:

"Heard you guys got a new coach or something? Anyone I've heard of?"

"Nah, probably not. Wish we got x,y,z"

"Oh well, sucks... guess you'll get a new coach in a year or two, hawww"

"Yup, basically."

Couple Browns fans at work discussing it with other fans... convo went something like:

"Heard you guys got a new coach or something? Anyone I've heard of?"

"Nah, probably not. Wish we got x,y,z"

"Oh well, sucks... guess you'll get a new coach in a year or two, hawww"

"Yup, basically."

I suspect that same conversation was had a year ago from Bills fans about Marrone as well.

This year will be a wash for the browns no matter what. They have a young team and are about to get even younger will all the picks they have. They are fielding a rookie hc all new coaching staff will most likely have a rookie qb.

After Next year depending on the QB they draft and how he develops they will still be learning how to win. So I doubt they will contend that year either. 3 years from now (if he isn't fired by then) we will see how capiable of head coach he is.

Edited by Pills -N- Bills