Pettine has officially signed on as coach of the Browns

cale

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Sources tell WTAM 1100 that Bills defensive coordiantor Mike Pettine will be hired as the Browns next head coach, pending negotiations today.

Doesn't sound like it's a done deal necessarily. Last year sources said Chip Kelly was going to be the new Clown coach. I'm waiting for official work, like on nfl.com or buffalobills.com before I slash my wrists.

OK ,AT THIS POINT lets assume hes gone . next question is who is the new DC ? AND IS pettine TAKING COACHES WITH HIM? ..

I THINK THE NFL SHOULD MANDATE that all coaches hired at corodinator position be required to fulfill at least 2 years of a contract before they can move on. it creates instability to a team in a rebuilding mode. if he didnt want to be there at least 2 years ,why go there? , just a opinion,

HA! In before closed.

Man, this sucks, however, I am hoping we get lucky and the Cleveland media have screwed up. I too remember the Chip Kelly thing. I wonder if the Browns use that as a tactic, to try and force the coach into signing, since, he's already "signed"? Meaning, if something goes wrong, then the coach must have done something "wrong".

OK ,AT THIS POINT lets assume hes gone . next question is who is the new DC ? AND IS pettine TAKING COACHES WITH HIM? ..

I THINK THE NFL SHOULD MANDATE that all coaches hired at corodinator position be required to fulfill at least 2 years of a contract before they can move on. it creates instability to a team in a rebuilding mode. if he didnt want to be there at least 2 years ,why go there? , just a opinion,

Because it's a promotion rather than a lateral move. Teams can block lateral moves for any of their coaches, but not promotions. Pettine will only take coaches with him who he is able and willing to promote.

As for why he took a job he "didn't intend to keep for atleast two years"...

You don't know what his intentions were when he came aboard. He obviously wanted the job when he took it, but what he considered to be an opportunity too good to pass up came along.

You don't want to deny a man what could be a once in a lifetime opportunity to follow his career arch goals.

Simply be thankful for his time here, wish him the best, and move on.

I'm not sure I'm putting that much faith in local radio - anywhere. Not after the Mario Williams circus.

even if the report is accurate, negotiations could be a bit more.... difficult... on this one. if im pettine i want a whole lot of assurances built into my contract.