Poll: Pettine or Marrone

Unrealistic yet serious question Bills fans are contemplating  

169 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you rather have as head coach of the Buffalo Bills?

I vote: this board gets dumber with each losing season.... :wallbash:

100 times this. Marrone gets no credit for hiring Pettine I guess. Also, where was the D in losses to Cleveland, Atlanta, and NE (just need to stop the Pats for a win)? I hope Pettine comes back but this defense is loaded with 1st and 2nd rounders. It should be a good D.

Look, I'm pissed Marrone didn't win the Super Bowl this year. Giant disappointment. But when you keep in mind the 1st year records of John Fox (7-9), Pete Carroll (6-10), and Belichick (6-10) maybe we should have more realistic expectations.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This just goes to show what most of you really know about football. Ridiculous. Was our defense better than previous....no doubt. Leaps and bounds better. But did we not get gashed by just about every team on the ground? Before we go anointing this guy supreme, lets look at the whole body of work. I want him here more than anyone, but do I think he is a better candidate than Marrone as head coach...absolutely not

This just goes to show what most of you really know about football. Ridiculous. Was our defense better than previous....no doubt. Leaps and bounds better. But did we not get gashed by just about every team on the ground? Before we go anointing this guy supreme, lets look at the whole body of work. I want him here more than anyone, but do I think he is a better candidate than Marrone as head coach...absolutely not

So since I voted for Marrone over Pettine (and am currently in the minority), that means I know more about football than those who voted for Pettine?? Sweet...I just needed someone to say that. I feel better about my rudimentary understanding of football already.

This is actually an interesting poll. The trend lately has been for people to want someone with former head coaching experience. Question: if the former head coach was so great, why did he fail in his previous job? (unless coming from college). Then you have the problem of "can this person go from college to the NFL."

Another group of people like coordinators. However, you always have the Dick LeBeau's of the world. Fantastic D coordinator, average-below average HC. Some people are better running a group of players than performing the administrative task of being the HC.

So, who do you pick? The answer is simple: "Getting a new HC is like a box of chocolates, you never know what your going to get inside."

Since we have a HC, and the D improved, and our HC performed adequately last year, and will likely improve in his second year, I see no reason to get rid of him. Not to say that Pettine couldn't be a great HC.

To any of the 29 people who voted for Pettine, serious question that I asked in another thread of the same subject... what do you see in him that makes you think he would be a better HC than Marrone, that the rest of teams in the NFL who had HC openings last year and this year did not see? Wth am I missing.... cuz right now this fan base (or 29 of them) are the only fans who want him. Certainly the Browns fans do not and are being pretty vocal about it.

My answer was Pettine is the the only coach that has made a big impact on this Buffalo Bill football team in over a decade.

100 times this. Marrone gets no credit for hiring Pettine I guess. Also, where was the D in losses to Cleveland, Atlanta, and NE (just need to stop the Pats for a win)? I hope Pettine comes back but this defense is loaded with 1st and 2nd rounders. It should be a good D.

Look, I'm pissed Marrone didn't win the Super Bowl this year. Giant disappointment. But when you keep in mind the 1st year records of John Fox (7-9), Pete Carroll (6-10), and Belichick (6-10) maybe we should have more realistic expectations.

This is what makes me laugh... also that no one thinks he could possibly understand the defense he put in place. Or that anyone who worked under him understands it. Or anyone else who works in the NFL. Personally, I would prefer a more effective defense than what I saw against Cleveland, Cincy, ATL, Tampa, Jax, NE, NO... it was awful. Edited by YoloinOhio

My answer was Pettine is the the only coach that has made a big impact on this Buffalo Bill football team in over a decade.

This is a very fair comment. But would he be able to have that effect on the entire team. He has a great defensive mind, but does that translate into running the entire team? That is a huge unknown. Remember that Marrone hired him, so he gets some credit for doing that.

This is actually an interesting poll. The trend lately has been for people to want someone with former head coaching experience. Question: if the former head coach was so great, why did he fail in his previous job? (unless coming from college). Then you have the problem of "can this person go from college to the NFL."

Another group of people like coordinators. However, you always have the Dick LeBeau's of the world. Fantastic D coordinator, average-below average HC. Some people are better running a group of players than performing the administrative task of being the HC.

So, who do you pick? The answer is simple: "Getting a new HC is like a box of chocolates, you never know what your going to get inside."

Since we have a HC, and the D improved, and our HC performed adequately last year, and will likely improve in his second year, I see no reason to get rid of him. Not to say that Pettine couldn't be a great HC.

Marrone brought HC experience where he turned around a college program as well as experience as a NFL coordinator. He wasn't fired from his previous gigs, he was recruited to move on and up. This is a good sign.

I think the numbers of the New Orleans offence during Marrone's time as the OC were pretty good weren't they? I know Payton called the plays, but Marrone put together the offensive game plan each week.

I ulitmately think both could well end up being good NFL Head Coaches.

I think the numbers of the New Orleans offence during Marrone's time as the OC were pretty good weren't they? I know Payton called the plays, but Marrone put together the offensive game plan each week.

I ulitmately think both could well end up being good NFL Head Coaches.

The OC title was a glorified title. Marrones main responsibility was with the protection schemes. Payton had control of the scheme, gameplan and playcalling.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

My head coach is an offensive guy. If I am even going to consider a Defensive coach he better be in the top 1/3 of the league in All Defensive categories. I would not consider a Defensive coach who finished in the bottom 10 in run D. Absolutely never. If Pettine does get the Cleveland job he better have instant success if he does not the fans will run him out of town. It's already clear he is not their first choice and the leadership in Cleveland has shown impatience with coaching staffs.

The Cleveland job is the equivalent of the Bills hc job over last 2 decades. It's a joke of a franchise. How many guys have turned down interviews over last few head coaching searches for us?? That says a lot about a team when a coord won't even interview with a team. Cleveland has had 3 guys say "thanks but no thanks" already. Give Pettine another year or 2 to work on his craft and see what his resume looks like at that point. Lets see how he can address our defense getting killed by Lagarette Blount (sp?) and multiple other guys. Even though our defense was the bright spot this season in regards to sacks and turnovers, they also cost us several games by letting up huge plays week in and out!? A great coach can fix this...lets see how he does next year

Well if that be the case then what does it say about Marrone having a ST's coach in B/lo that had the #8th ranked ST unit in the NFL & he brings in a buddy that his resume shows that his ST's units have stunk ? Not just one year but season after season .

What will tell me IF Marrone is a good HC is how the D does if Pettine does leave . If Marrone does another buddy hire like he did with Crossman despite his past & our D goes considerably lower in rankings with the same personal then it will prove that Marrone is what he

is .

But he could start by firing Crossman & going on from there to take a unit from #8 to # 31 & the HC does nothing that is screaming something that the Bills don't need & if after next year there is no improvement on that unit & he is not fired then Marrone needs to go along with Crossman !!!

My head coach is an offensive guy. If I am even going to consider a Defensive coach he better be in the top 1/3 of the league in All Defensive categories. I would not consider a Defensive coach who finished in the bottom 10 in run D. Absolutely never. If Pettine does get the Cleveland job he better have instant success if he does not the fans will run him out of town. It's already clear he is not their first choice and the leadership in Cleveland has shown impatience with coaching staffs.

IMO this will all depend on what QB situation they have. Currently they don't have one. If the draft one, they need to live through a rookie year and there are no Andrew Lucks in this draft. Maybe he signs a FA, but the word is they want to draft a guy (and they should)...but he will not have an easy time with that in the first year. Wth is he even going to find at this point for a decent OC. He comes from the Rex Ryan school of not caring about the offense anyway.