Poll: Pettine or Marrone

Unrealistic yet serious question Bills fans are contemplating  

169 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you rather have as head coach of the Buffalo Bills?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you think about it, neither guy did all that great.

While Pettine's D was #2 in sacks, and the Bills moved up to a respectable #10 in total yards allowed. While at the same time #28 against the run, which really sucks, and 20th in points allowed. Then consider how many 1st & 2nd round draft picks are on that defense, 9 of 11.

I guess we learned that sacks don't mean much if you can't stop the run.

Most Bills fans are out of their minds over this years D because the team finally found a DC who actually knew how to somewhat properly utilize all that drafted talent. Two #1's at CB. Two #2's at safety. A 100 million dollar DE.

Then the offense stayed about the same in being 19th overall in total yards. Now Marrone certainly ran the ball a heck of a lot more by leading the NFL in rushing attempts, and moved up in total rushing yards from 6th to 2nd. 28th in passing offense with a batch of rookies compared 25th with Fitz. All he did was prove that running a lot means nothing if you can't control the LoS or the clock.

If Marrone had only gone to Whaley and stated that the OG position wasn't upgraded enough, and filled it in with a decent free agent LG. Then the backup QB position to have an experienced backup from day one or at the very least give Matt Flynn a chance at a start. Plus, Marrone still has his buddy Crossman as ST coach.

Just think, Turk Schonert & Alex Van Pelt both went 7-9 with JP & Edwards at QB

Here we are bickering over a pair of wannabes, and other teams that hired new head coaches last year actually took their teams to the playoffs.

Mike McCoy, Chargers 9-7. Bruce Arians, Cardinals from 5-11 to 10-6 just missing the playoffs in the best division in the NFL. Andy Reid, Chiefs from 2-14 to 11-5. Chip Kelly, Eagles from 4-12 to 10-6.

Leave it to Brandon to figure out a way to have the fans arguing with each other over crumbs instead of looking at the big picture. Meanwhile 6-10 again, SSDY.

Edited by FeartheLosing

While Pettine's D was #2 in sacks, and the Bills moved up to a respectable #10 in total yards allowed. While at the same time #28 against the run, which really sucks, and 20th in points allowed. Then consider how many 1st & 2nd round draft picks are on that defense, 9 of 11.

Most Bills fans are out of their minds over this years D because the team finally found a DC who actually knew how to somewhat properly utilize all that drafted talent. Two #1's at CB. Two #2's at safety. A 100 million dollar DE.

Then the offense stayed about the same in being 19th overall in total yards. Now Marrone certainly ran the ball a heck of a lot more by leading the NFL in rushing attempts, and moved up in total rushing yards from 6th to 2nd. 28th in passing offense with a batch of rookies compared 25th with Fitz. All he did was prove that running a lot means nothing if you can't control the LoS or the clock.

If Marrone had only gone to Whaley and stated that the OG position wasn't upgraded enough, and filled it in with a decent free agent LG. Then the backup QB position to have an experienced backup from day one or at the very least give Matt Flynn a chance at a start. Plus, Marrone still has his buddy Crossman as ST coach.

Here we are bickering over a pair of wannabes, and other teams that hired new head coaches last year actually took their teams to the playoffs.

Mike McCoy, Chargers 9-7. Bruce Arians, Cardinals from 5-11 to 10-6 just missing the playoffs in the best division in the NFL. Andy Reid, Chiefs from 2-14 to 11-5. Chip Kelly, Eagles from 4-12 to 10-6.

Leave it to Brandon to figure out a way to have the fans arguing with each other over crumbs instead of looking at the big picture. Meanwhile 6-10 again, SSDY.

How many of those teams had to start their 4th string QB?

You can't compare the QB situations. Sorry - it is the determining factor, almost always.

I voted for Marrone but it's a silly vote. Marrone has exactly one year of HC experience. Pettine has zero experience as a college or pro HC and only 1 true year as a DC. There's just not much to compare.

Unless you're an insider and know things the rest of us don't, I don't know how you could vote for Pettine. The guy clearly did a great job with the defense this past year but could he run an entire team? Does he have CEO qualities? Could he attract and retain good coordinators? Work well with a GM? I still don't even know how good a DC he is. He certainly did better than Wanny. But wouldn't several other NFL DCs have done just as well as Pettine - or better - with our talent?

In the end both Marrone and Pettine may turn out to be great NFL HCs. Or neither. It's all just speculation now. Both have relatively thin resumes.

Wow, the guy coached us for 1 year. Made some improvements, but it was 1 year. He didn't inherit the greatest team, and is trying to make this his team. I think i will wait another year b4 we ax him. I don't think Pettine would have had more or much more success. However Pettine also has never been a HC so we even know less about him or how he would perform as a HC. Hopefully Mike doesnt leave!!!!

Wow, the guy coached us for 1 year. Made some improvements, but it was 1 year. He didn't inherit the greatest team, and is trying to make this his team. I think i will wait another year b4 we ax him. I don't think Pettine would have had more or much more success. However Pettine also has never been a HC so we even know less about him or how he would perform as a HC. Hopefully Mike doesnt leave!!!!

6-10.

To any of the 29 people who voted for Pettine, serious question that I asked in another thread of the same subject... what do you see in him that makes you think he would be a better HC than Marrone, that the rest of teams in the NFL who had HC openings last year and this year did not see? Wth am I missing.... cuz right now this fan base (or 29 of them) are the only fans who want him. Certainly the Browns fans do not and are being pretty vocal about it.

Pettine was hidden behind Rex and everyone knows that...He was not going to get an interview for an HC job last year due to that fact, and that's at least part of the reason he left the Jets...This is pretty much public knowledge...

Personally I think Pettine will prove to be a better HC than Marrone when he finally gets the chance...But at this point that's not saying much, and it's not much more than a gut feeling for me...I've generally been a little bit under-impressed by Marrone so far...Though I'm not giving up on him by any means...I think Pettine has worked on better staffs, has a better NFL resume than Marrone, and has a history of getting more out of his players...And even though Marrone would seem to be more qualified due to his HC experience in College, I'm not convinced that matters much...From everything I've read and heard about Pettine he gets high marks for his interpersonal skills...He just needs someone to give him a shot...Pettine strikes me as the type of guy who knows what is up, but is going to play it very close to the vest...While Marrone is a guy who will tell anyone and their mother how he knows everything...Marrone's best accomplishment as an NFL HC to this point may very well be the fact that he hired Pettine...I prefer Pettine's approach, even if he does come off as a a bit subdued...

But that's all just my opinion...We'll see how it all looks 5 years from now... B-)

6-10.

That is being pretty simplistic considering the QB is the most important position on the field. 2012's 6-10 was done with a 7 year vet QB who played every game. 2013's 6-10 was done with 3 different QBs, 2 of which were rookies and 1 off the PS. So yes, there may have been improvements depite the same record. A lot of teams take a step back in record when they have a rookie QB (not out of the 2012 class).

6-10.

Not over all record, sorry (DB). The team was a heck of a lot more entertaining to watch. The D improved in areas. The O improved in areas. The team improved overall except ST but that is for another discussion.

Also 6-10 for a first year coach inheriting a team that hasnt seen the playoffs in over a decade, isn't terrible. People r entitled to there own opinions!

I voted for Marrone but it's a silly vote. Marrone has exactly one year of HC experience. Pettine has zero experience as a college or pro HC and only 1 true year as a DC. There's just not much to compare.

Unless you're an insider and know things the rest of us don't, I don't know how you could vote for Pettine. The guy clearly did a great job with the defense this past year but could he run an entire team? Does he have CEO qualities? Could he attract and retain good coordinators? Work well with a GM? I still don't even know how good a DC he is. He certainly did better than Wanny. But wouldn't several other NFL DCs have done just as well as Pettine - or better - with our talent?

In the end both Marrone and Pettine may turn out to be great NFL HCs. Or neither. It's all just speculation now. Both have relatively thin resumes.

Speculation is the idea here, the thread asks us to take a guess. We have no idea what Pettine would be like as a head coach day to day but since it's a guess; he seems to understand the modern NFL, plenty of (successful) NFL experience, he comes from head coaching and he seems more real than Marrone. Not that I'm down on Doug, the jury is still out on both.

Pettine was hidden behind Rex and everyone knows that...He was not going to get an interview for an HC job last year due to that fact, and that's at least part of the reason he left the Jets...This is pretty much public knowledge...

Personally I think Pettine will prove to be a better HC than Marrone when he finally gets the chance...But at this point that's not saying much, and it's not much more than a gut feeling for me...I've generally been a little bit under-impressed by Marrone so far...Though I'm not giving up on him by any means...I think Pettine has worked on better staffs, has a better NFL resume than Marrone, and has a history of getting more out of his players...And even though Marrone would seem to be more qualified due to his HC experience in College, I'm not convinced that matters much...From everything I've read and heard about Pettine he gets high marks for his interpersonal skills...He just needs someone to give him a shot...Pettine strikes me as the type of guy who knows what is up, but is going to play it very close to the vest...While Marrone is a guy who will tell anyone and their mother how he knows everything...Marrone's best accomplishment as an NFL HC to this point may very well be the fact that he hired Pettine...I prefer Pettine's approach, even if he does come off as a a bit subdued...

But that's all just my opinion...We'll see how it all looks 5 years from now... B-)

Interesting... doesn't seem to be an issue for other cooridnators getting HC interviews all over, despite being in someone's shadow. Do you see Adam Gase looking to make a lateral move to be an OC somewhere else so he can prove he can be successful without Manning? Does Dan Quinn need to go be a DC elsewhere to get out of Carroll's shadow (like Gus Bradley didn't need to do either last year)? McDaniels DID prove he couldn't do it without Brady and Bellicheat, and he was STILL their 1st choice! If Pettine was considered HC material, he would have gotten interviewed regardless of whether he stayed with the Jets or left.

6-10 is 6-10

Last year it was the fault of the QB, HC and DC. This year it's the fault of just the QB, it seems.

Nope, not saying that. But expecting a record to go up with a rookie QB is not generally done.

Nope, not saying that. But expecting a record to go up with a rookie QB is not generally done.

Rookie QBs have played on playoff teams before.

We changed QB, HC and DC, because those were the main problems with the team. Finished with the same record. Maybe next season we get better. But for now, I don't consider the 2013 team to be any better than the 2012 team. I certainly enjoyed watching the 2013 team more, though.

Rookie QBs have played on playoff teams before.

We changed QB, HC and DC, because those were the main problems with the team. Finished with the same record. Maybe next season we get better. But for now, I don't consider the 2013 team to be any better than the 2012 team. I certainly enjoyed watching the 2013 team more, though.

Yes, teams that were already playoff teams. Last year was an anomaly. JMO, I really did not expect the record to improve in 2013. I expected them to develop a rookie QB that in 2-3 yrs would get us back to the playoffs.

I love what Pettine has done with the defense. I have questions about his ability to hire a good staff though. Marrone has at least shown he would go to someone he didn't know and get a guy who can coach.

*IF* the reports are accurate and considering the source they should be disbelieved automatically that he was gung ho for the Browns job then I would question him even more. If he's willing to take a head coach job that is long after most assistants are set and where he was obviously not the 1st or 2nd choices and they only got to him after a couple weeks then I think his desire outweighs practicality.