Add a couple players and Bills=Seahawks

Add a couple players and every team in the NFL is the Seahawks. I guess that's promising that we are one of those 31 candidates.

Getting those players is tough and requires more luck and "right place right time." If we have a really good draft again, we'll be there. If not, we're in trouble.

Edited by FireChan

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

while the Bills are adding a couple of players......so are the 31 other teams.

the ONLY way to leap frog those other teams is to get a FRANCHISE QB.

EJ is NOT a bust.....he's just not a franchise QB....heck, he isn't even mediocre yet (ranked 29th).....if things go his way, he will crack the Top 20.

I posted this on another thread.

I've posted this before and I'm going to do it again. In any era there are four or five elite QBs in the NFl, there is a handful of guys that have no business starting, but are, because of injury or because a team mistakenly made an investment in them. Then there are all the other guys. Guys that probably aren't going to the HOF, but can win if they have a good team around them and good coaching. Think Phil Simms, two SB rings, SB MVP. Would you take that record for a Bills QB?

Payton Manning was drafted in 1998. How many QBs have been drafted since then? And yet there are still only three or four QBs playing today that can even be mentioned in the same sentence as Payton. He is arguably one of the best to have ever played.

If a teams has a QB that they believe is good enough if they build a team around him but probably not elite, does that organization build a team around him or keep trying to draft an elite guy?

When I look at teams like SF and Seattle I'm always amazed at the number of players on those teams who are at a bodybuilder level of muscle mass and low body fat - the Bills have a couple guys like that but there are other teams that seem to have 35-40 guys like that , offensive linemen popping arm veins? not on the Bills, popping guts yes arm veins no.

If you believe that you should probably take up watching hockey instead of football.

Thanks. I watch that too.

Fred is better. He proved it when Lynch was here. And he hasn't really lost a step, considering what I saw him do this year.

Lynch is a really good player. Despite what some say, he hasn't changed his running style or is "trying harder" now that he's in Seattle. He was good here too. It's just that he's now a feature back in a league where some teams, like the Bills, use RB by committee. The stats are going to reflect that. And the one and only time Fred was consistently the feature back, he was leading the league in rushing before he got hurt.

Fred is the better blocker and receiver. Their speed is similar. They both get that extra yardage when you think they're going down. Fred is smarter and shiftier. Leadership and other intangibles, there is no contest.

Lynch has a cool nickname, was a first round pick and plays on a great team that is hyped by the media. He is supposed to be better than Fred, but he's not. Look beyond the ESPN highlights page.

Fred Jackson is criminally underrated in the NFL world. Even amongst many Bills fans.

Put him on that Seattle team in the same role and he'd do even better than Lynch.

So are you saying Wilson is a franchise QB? If EJ does crack the top 20, from what I've seen he''ll be right about where Wilson is.

the ONLY way to leap frog those other teams is to get a FRANCHISE QB.

EJ is NOT a bust.....he's just not a franchise QB....heck, he isn't even mediocre yet (ranked 29th).....if things go his way, he will crack the Top 20.

So Hogan and TJ being on the roster reflects back on Hackett?? Granted I'm sure Hackett had SOME input on who they kept and who they cut, but also certain Marrone and Whaley had alot of input on that too.

So if they should have cut them two, who should they have kept instead? Or was it also Hackets job to go out and sign better WR's too? Granted he had some freedom on shaping the roster, but he still needs to go with the best six or seven available and not sure who else would have improved the roster. Rogers, maybe, but he had issues and may also have been over ruled on that one.

No way.

Nathaniel Hackett cannot coach a pro offense. -Period.

On the sideline, or up in the booth. The snot-nosed kid of former pro OC Paul Hackett attempts to impress his peers with the sheer amount of plays he can draw up, never admitting the fact that most of them don't work. FYI, He can't mold a young talent like EJ, either. I realized that when players like Chris Hogan and TJ Graham made the final roster. Guys who can't get open, can't catch, or both... Great gift for your rookie QB! :thumbsup:

Btw, I'll gladly take all that back if Hackett proves me wrong next season. However if things go as I suspect, EJ won't look better, TJ and Hogan will still be on the roster, and we won't be able to score points. I caught hell a few weeks back by suggesting we tap Frank Reich as OC.. -Choruses of "He's not an OC!" rained down from the box seats. Lo and behold the FO of the team that employed him saw fit to make that move.

Hack was a bad choice... If we have a top rated offense with him at the helm next season, I'll eat all the crow tar-tar anyone can supply.

I would agree that a couple of player changes the Bill's could be getting close, but also assumes that many of the rookies and 2nd year players, like EJ, Kiko, Woods, Grissom, Glenn all improve alot in the off-season, then they re-sign Byrd, and Arron Williams and McKelvin prove not to just have one good year in them. Also need Stevie, Spiller, Eric Woods, to step up a fair amount and the D-line to play as well as this past year.

I'd agree with OP in that there are only a few positions where you feel you definitely need to replace the 2013 player, maybe 4 or 5, certainly less than in prior years, BUT also need alot more from the other 16 starters and backup to be equal to Seattle.

Let's be real people, this Bills team is a lot closer to being like the Seahawks than people may realize. Offensively, the only additions we need is on the Oline. We are comparable everywhere else. The bigger needs are on the defensive side of the ball. First we need to sign Jairus Byrd, then I feel our DBs are on that level. If the Bills can get Khalil Mack and add more young depth to the LB and Dline we will have a DOMINANT defense.

The playoff teams that look a lot different then the Bills:

1. New England

2. Denver

3. Green Bay

4. New Orleans

These teams all have elite QBs. There aren't many to be had, and usually not more than 5 or so in the league at any one time.

Playoff teams the Bills could try to emulate without an "elite" QB (not trying to knock EJ here, even if he is very good that does not mean elite)

1. Seattle

2. SF

3. Carolina

It would be great if we could turn into Seattle, and upgrades on O line, LB, and keeping Byrd would be essential to make this happen.

However, it seems we are most similar to is Carolina at this point. We have some work to do to play as consistently as they do, but it is a playoff team that we played well against AND beat this year. We are a few pieces away from Carolina, a few more pieces away from Seattle.

When I look at teams like SF and Seattle I'm always amazed at the number of players on those teams who are at a bodybuilder level of muscle mass and low body fat - the Bills have a couple guys like that but there are other teams that seem to have 35-40 guys like that , offensive linemen popping arm veins? not on the Bills, popping guts yes arm veins no.

"Whats the Adderall for? "

There ya go.^^

Bills as a team have a goodly ways to go. To compare to Seattle as a whole team. I do appreciate your excellent attitude OP!

Edited by 3rdand12

"Whats the Adderall for? "

There ya go.^^

Bills as a team have a goodly ways to go. To compare to Seattle as a whole team. I do appreciate your excellent attitude OP!

None of these guys are on Adderall. They are on steroids or HGH or testosterone.

Since the NFL isn't allowed to say what substance they tested positive for, they all claim it was something banned but nebulous as far as being a PED, such as Adderall. The League isn't allowed to say the player is lying.

This is a coincidence. I was about to come here and ask, "Are the Bills closer to being the Seahawks or Broncos?" My position was that we're getting to Seahawks territory, and I looked on PFF Signature Stats for some numbers.

Pass Offense: Seahawks 6th, Bills second to last.

Pass Blocking: Seahawks 9th from last, Bills 12th.

Rush Offense: Seahawks 2nd, Bills fifth to last.

Run Blocking: Seahawks 10th from last, Bills 8th from last.

Okay, offense so not so much, but the defenses are closer:

Overall D: Seahawks 1st, Bills 4th.

Run Defense: Seahawks 6th, Bills 4th.

Pass Rush: : Seahawks 1st, Bills 8th.

Pass Cover: : Seahawks 1st, Bills 5th.

Special Teams: Seahawks 6th, Bills 2nd worst.

All Right; I laughed. :w00t:

So what does that tell us all about the offensive coaching staff & the defensive coaching staff ?? OH yah the ST's coach sucks too !!

This is a coincidence. I was about to come here and ask, "Are the Bills closer to being the Seahawks or Broncos?" My position was that we're getting to Seahawks territory, and I looked on PFF Signature Stats for some numbers.

Pass Offense: Seahawks 6th, Bills second to last.

Pass Blocking: Seahawks 9th from last, Bills 12th.

Rush Offense: Seahawks 2nd, Bills fifth to last.

Run Blocking: Seahawks 10th from last, Bills 8th from last.

Okay, offense so not so much, but the defenses are closer:

Overall D: Seahawks 1st, Bills 4th.

Run Defense: Seahawks 6th, Bills 4th.

Pass Rush: : Seahawks 1st, Bills 8th.

Pass Cover: : Seahawks 1st, Bills 5th.

Special Teams: Seahawks 6th, Bills 2nd worst.

All Right; I laughed. :w00t: I guess we really aren't getting close to the Seahawks, but I get a sense we are improving. Keep the better players, including Byrd, sign a couple of free agents, and have a good draft and we are going to be in contention.

Fixed.

I can see where if you valued off-the-field stuff like leadership, character, etc. a LOT ... and I mean a WHOLE LOT ... and you had your Bills homer hat on you could think that FredEX was more valuable to a team than Lynch. But Fred at his best was not a better RB than Lynch is now. And Spiller, please.

I understand that the whole Lynch situation makes some Bills fans feel like the geek who got stood up for the senior prom but

Lynch + 5 other middling talent RBs < Spiller and Jackson

seriously? :)

Edited by CodeMonkey

If they add a couple of players (Wilson, Tate, Smith, Irvin, Sherman, Maxwell, Chancellor, Thomas) and Bills = Seahawks? Yeah, I can see that.

Wilson- Don't underestimate EJs drive to get better.

Tate- Robert Woods is comparable.

Irvin- He's not setting the league on fire, but here is where I talk about the addition of Mack/Van Noy/Dee Ford.

Sherman- Before his injury, the league was anointing Gilmore as the next great CB.

Chancellor- Aaron Williams can be better.

Thomas- I'll take Jairus Byrd, thank you!

McKelvin showed you what good coaching can do for you. So yeah, we have pieces.

What are you talking about? The original post was about how we are comparable to the Seahawks right now save for a few positions. QB was not mentioned. I said that as of right now, Wilson is a decidedly better QB than Manuel. Not sure where the confusion is.

I think the theory goes something like Russell Wilson didn't have awesome stats in his first half season and EJ didn't have great stats in his first half season so therefore EJ = Russell Wilson.

Thanks. I watch that too.

Fred is better. He proved it when Lynch was here. And he hasn't really lost a step, considering what I saw him do this year.

Lynch is a really good player. Despite what some say, he hasn't changed his running style or is "trying harder" now that he's in Seattle. He was good here too. It's just that he's now a feature back in a league where some teams, like the Bills, use RB by committee. The stats are going to reflect that. And the one and only time Fred was consistently the feature back, he was leading the league in rushing before he got hurt.

Fred is the better blocker and receiver. Their speed is similar. They both get that extra yardage when you think they're going down. Fred is smarter and shiftier. Leadership and other intangibles, there is no contest.

Lynch has a cool nickname, was a first round pick and plays on a great team that is hyped by the media. He is supposed to be better than Fred, but he's not. Look beyond the ESPN highlights page.

Fred Jackson is criminally underrated in the NFL world. Even amongst many Bills fans.

Put him on that Seattle team in the same role and he'd do even better than Lynch.

I agree whole heartedly. Lynch is a very good back, but so is Fred Jackson. If Jackson had gone to Seattle and Lynch had stayed in Buffalo the public perception would be completely different.

Lynch is a bull and is the main reason the Seahawks are where they are today. We gave him up and gave up on him and failed to utilize his talents fully. We let other players go who were essential to becoming a playoff team. We seem to be getting better in free agency and trades and in the draft, and we hopefully will get better in keeping very good players on the Bills through the free agency periods. We are not in the same category as the Broncos or Seahawks. Hell..we aren't even in the playoffs!!! Good is not "one or two players away" or "if we had only won a few more games". Good is winning a few more games. We haven't done that. Good will be visible after our eighth win next season. Getting good is putting together the personnel, the coaching staff, the game plans and the practice and execution to win games. We aren't sh#t until we start winning. Get 'er done.