Mock Draft - 3.0 Updated 3/16/14 (Major Changes) on PG. 4

H2o

First crack at it this year.

1. Houston Texans - Johnny Manziel / QB / Texas A&M - This is a no brainer if you ask me. The Texans need a QB. Schaub seems to have fallen apart and Case Keenum, a Houston product, does not seem to be the long term answer. The Texas born and raised Manziel would not only pack the house, but he would be the building block of the future in Houston. All this being said, the owner is already gushing about Clowney being a once in a blah, blah type of player and how he thinks that he is a better athlete than Mario Williams, whom he drafted in 2006. I think this time it is just an act.

2. Cleveland Browns(from St. Louis) - Teddy Bridgewater / QB / Louisville - A couple years ago the Rams traded back wirth the Redskins so Washington could take a QB and Fisher is on the move again for a 2 spot drop and another 1st via the Colts/Browns trade. The Browns watched Houston take Manziel and don't want to take the chance @ missing out on the 2nd of the two QB's they covet as well. Bridgewater to Gordon will be a dynamic combo in Cleveland.

3. Jacksonville Jaguars - Blake Bortles / QB / UCF - This is the "anti-Tebow" in state option. A Florida guy tabbed as the future QB to turn around a Florida team. This will help the Jags sell tickets and it helps that the guy is already better than their former "Franchise QB", Blaine Gabbert. Bortles has the talent to succeed, but the Jags will have to do a great job getting the pieces around him to be successful. Look for this draft to be heavy on the offensive side of the ball for the Jags.

4. St. Louis Rams(from Cleveland) - Khalil Mack / LB / Buffalo - The Rams pick up extra draft picks in the trade with Cleveland and still get who many believe is the top LB prospect in the draft. He will immediately step in as the SLB in St. Louis forming one of the best LB units in all of football with Laurinaitis and Alec Ogeltree. Fisher loves a punishing defense and this unit will rival the Seahawks/49ers.

5. Oakland Raiders - Sammy Watkins / WR / Clemson - The Raiders will select a QB in Round 2 almost certainly, but here they get argueably the best WR prospect in the draft. Watkins has blazing speed, great hands, and is a threat to go the distance every time he touches the ball. Al Davis will be smiling somewhere when they make this pick.

6. Atlanta Falcons - Jadeveon Clowney / DE / South Carolina - Just too talented to fall any further. Last year the talk was Clowney being the #1 pick in the draft hands down. This year after seemeingly taking it easy on the field, and some carelessness off of it, he falls right into the lap of the Atlanta Falcons. They won't pass up the opportunity to get a guy like that for their defensive front.

7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Anthony Barr / LB / UCLA - What does Lovie Smith know? Defense. He knows that he can line up Barr as a DE on obvious passing situations and stand him up @ LB the rest of the time. He is a versitile defensive playmaker that can cover a lot of ground on every snap and will fit perfectly into Lovie's Tampa 2 scheme.

8. Minnesota Vikings - Justin Gilbert / CB / Oklahoma St. - They got Xavier Rhodes last year in Round 1 and get another CB this year. They are trying to revamp the defense in Minnesota and I expect them to do so here as there is not a viable option @ QB that would justify the #8 pick, see the past result of grabbing Ponder @ #12. They will not reach for a QB this year.

9. Buffalo Bills - Jake Matthews / OT / Texas A&M - Who would've thought the Buffalo Bills would have their pick of the top OT's in the draft? I have Matthews as the selection here because he played RT until Luke Joeckel made the jump to the NFL last year. He's versatile, comes from a great pedigree, and is NFL ready. Major upgrade for our OL here, major.

10. Detroit Lions - Marquise Lee / WR / USC - Calvin Johnson hasn't had a solid running mate opposite him since he's been in the NFL. The Lions will hope this pick changes that. He'll surely take some of the pressure off of Calvin and provide Stafford with yet another weapon in the passing game.

11. Tennessee Titans - Mike Evans / WR / Texas A&M - Ken Wisenhunt takes over in Tennesse and gets his QB a WR who can make plays. One of those guys you can just throw it up there and watch him come down with the ball. He's a little bigger version of Michael Floyd, whom Wisenhunt drafted in AZ. Put Evans on one side, with Kendall Wright on the other, and Walker hitting the seams in the middle of the field? Nice.

12. New York Giants - Greg Robinson / OT / Auburn - I think we see the end result when the OL does not give Eli time to throw the ball. That OL has to get taken care of. I know they have holes on defense, but you have to protect your Franchise QB.

13. St. Louis Rams - Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix / S / Alabama - The defensive theme continues for St. Louis. This draft could put them with the elite defenses of the NFL, being they are in their own division. But if they could get Mack and Clinton-Dix in the same draft, I really do believe this takes them to another level and they still have another 1st to go.

14. Chicago Bears - Eric Ebron / TE / UNC - What do you give a QB who just signed a HUGE contract, has Matt Forte, Brandon Marshall, and Alshon Jeffrey? Another mismatch for opposing defenses. Ebron is going to be a nightmare for LB's to try to keep up with and Safeties to try to out muscle.

15. Pittsburgh Steelers - Louis Nix III / DT / Notre Dame - The Steelers need someone to clog up the middle of the line so their LB's can make plays. Nix is that player. He had a knee injury this year that kept him out of some games, but all reports say that it should not be a problem going forward and he should easily be 100% by the time the pre-draft process gets under way.

16. Dallas Cowboys - Timmy Jernigan / DT / Florida St. - What the Cowboys need is to draft a new owner and FO, but that won't happen. They also need help on the defensive interior. Jernigan will provide that much.

17. Baltimore Ravens - CJ Mosley / LB / Alabama - Searching for replacements for Lewis and Ellerbe.......Still. They get the best ILB in the draft.

18. New York Jets - Darqueze Dennard / CB / Michigan St. - Milliner started to play better towards the end of the year, but Cromartie was terrible all the way through. They have to do something about that. Dennard is the top CB on some boards and the Jets snag him @ #18 to pair up with Milliner. Cromartie might not even be on the roster come July.

19. Miami Dolphins - Taylor Lewan / OT / Michigan - Its hard to believe that Tannehill made it through this season. Says a lot about the guy's toughness if you ask me. Their line is horrid at best. Throw in the Incognito/Martin fiasco and it is amazing that they were still in the playoff hunt until the last week of the season. Lewan will help to start fixing that train wreck.

20. Arizona Cardinals - Trent Murphy / OLB-DE / Stanford - Murphy will be a stand up edge rusher for a 10-6 team that missed out on the playoffs because they are in the toughest division in football. It is a position that needs an upgrade and Murphy will make them glad for the decision. He looks like a natural fit as a 3-4 OLB.

21. Green Bay Packers - Jace Amaro / TE / Texas Tech - Aaron Rodgers will benefit the most from this. Amaro, like Ebron, is a matchup nightmare for opposing defenses. He will have to work on his blocking if he wants to be an every down TE, but from a receiving standpoint alone he is worth the pick.

22. Philadelphia Eagles - Stephon Tuitt / DE / Notre Dame - The offense is great, but the defense needs work if they really want to contend. Tuitt will be an immediate upgrade and starter on that defensive front. He reminds me a lot of young Richard Seymour and has the ability to slide to the inside to rush the passer in Nickel/Dime situations.

23. Kansas City Chiefs - Austin Seferian-Jenkins / TE / Washington - Alex Smith really needs a quality TE and the Chiefs don't have one. This would help the offense become even more potent in 2014.

24. Cincinnati Bengals - Kelvin Benjamin / WR / Florida St. - Picture what Chicago has with Jeffrey and Marshall. Now that will be Cincy as well with green and Benjamin.

25. San Diego Chargers - Cyril Richardson / OT-OG / Baylor - San Diego looks to protect their rejuvenated Franchise QB and open lanes for their RB's. Rhinehart may be gone in FA and Richardson provides some versatility being able to play both OG and OT. Joe D. will have him ready to step in from day one.

26. St. Louis Rams(from Cleveland) - Kony Ealy / DE / Missouri - Defense, defense, and defense. Does anyone need to tell Jeff Fisher that defense wins Championships? Khalil Mack, Clinton-Dix, and now Kony Ealy in one round of one draft. Why Ealy? He'll sub for Quinn and Long to still get a decent amount of snaps every game. A nice player to have as a backup initially that could grow into more.

27. New Orleans Saints - Antonio Richardson / OT / Tennessee - Brees had to run for his life more this season than in any other I can remember. Richardson would be a solid pick here to help protect your QB.

28. Carolina Panthers - Allen Robinson / WR / Penn St. - Cam needs more weapons on offense and Robinson is a big target who can be just that. He put up excellent numbers while having a young QB slinging the ball to him. Now he'll have a better QB and Steve Smith drawing coverage on the other side along with Olsen over the middle. This could be a GREAT fit for him.

29. New England Patriots - Ra'Shede Hageman / DT-DE / Minnesota - He will line up all over the defensive line for the Pats*, but mainly his snaps will come @ DE in the 3-4.

30. San Francisco 49ers - Kyle Fuller / CB / Virginia Tech - This is probably the one position on defense that the 49ers truly need some help at, or at least some depth. Fuller had a solid year and showed well when facing the better competition.

31. Seattle Seahawks - Gabe Jackson / OG / Mississippi St. - He fits right in with their Power Run scheme on offense and will just be another road grader for Beast Mode to run behind.

32. Denver Broncos - Kareem Martin / DE-OLB / North Carolina - With the last pick in the 1st Round of the 2014 NFL Draft, yes I think the Broncos win the SB, they get a guy whose main focus will be to get to the QB. He has 21.5 tackles for loss and 11.5 sacks this past season. The Broncos are hurting for a pass rush without Von Miller and Martin could help fill that void. At 6'6", 265lbs he already has the ideal NFL frame and is a tremendous athlete.

Edited by H2o

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice job of study and analysis. I think your picks will definitely all be gone by pick 50. I don't necessarily think they'll go quite like you have them here (Mack vs Barr, for example). While I wouldn't go screaming into that good night if the Bills picked an OT, I'm not sure the FO would agree with you that a RT is worth a #9 pick. I hope you keep updating and refining over the next few months.

Bills Draft coming up tomorrow on DraftTek:

1 9 Buffalo Khalil Mack OLB34    Buffalo
2 41 Buffalo Odell Beckham Jr. WRF  LSU 
3 73 Buffalo Gabe Jackson OG Mississippi St
4 105 Buffalo Ka'Deem Carey RBF Arizona
5 137 Buffalo Jimmy Garoppolo QB Eastern Illinois
6 169 Buffalo Tim Jackson DE34 North Carolina
7 201 Buffalo Ricardo Allen CB Purdue

no way top 3 picks are all QB's and no way Manziel goes #1 overall in my opinion. I wouldn't be happy going OT in the first for us, I would go WR/TE which means OBD is focusing on RB or special team players!

So you'd rather take the 2nd or 3rd ranked WR instead of the top ranked OT?

We desperately need OL help in the worst way. Legursky is a tire fire and Pears has regressed and is in the final year of his contract. The time is now to upgrade and Whaley has an oldschool philosophy that you build a team from the inside out.

An OT is not a sexy pick but it fills a major need and it's how good teams win games.

Bills Draft coming up tomorrow on DraftTek:

1 9 Buffalo Khalil Mack OLB34 Buffalo
2 41 Buffalo Odell Beckham Jr. WRF LSU
3 73 Buffalo Gabe Jackson OG Mississippi St
4 105 Buffalo Ka'Deem Carey RBF Arizona
5 137 Buffalo Jimmy Garoppolo QB Eastern Illinois
6 169 Buffalo Tim Jackson DE34 North Carolina
7 201 Buffalo Ricardo Allen CB Purdue

Not a fan. I love getting Gabe Jackson and the potential of Garoppolo, though.

Edited by Bangarang

I believe the top 5 will be:

1.Houston-- Bridgewater

2.St. Louis-- Matthews

3.Jacksonville--Clowney

4.Cleveland--Bortles

5.Oakland--Manziell/Watkins

At 9, the Bills will take Watkins if he somehow falls to them, or more likely, they will take either Ebron or Mike Evans.

Could not disagree more. That type of sentiment is over-thinking the basics and foundation of the game. Plus, OT is a need for the Bills. Pick em early, pick em often.

It's not 1990's or even early 2000 football. Offensive line doesn't matter nearly as much as people make it out.

In all reality, you could do that with any other position that teams covet and therefore draft every year. Some pan out like Joe Thomas and Jake Long, but many do not.

One exception is QB where teams seemed locked into one guy regardless of his success/failure.

First crack at it this year.

1. Houston Texans - Johnny Manziel / QB / Texas A&M - This is a no brainer if you ask me. The Texans need a QB. Schaub seems to have fallen apart and Case Keenum, a Houston product, does not seem to be the long term answer. The Texas born and raised Manziel would not only pack the house, but he would be the building block of the future in Houston. All this being said, the owner is already gushing about Clowney being a once in a blah, blah type of player and how he thinks that he is a better athlete than Mario Williams, whom he drafted in 2006. I think this time it is just an act.

2. Cleveland Browns(from St. Louis) - Teddy Bridgewater / QB / Louisville - A couple years ago the Rams traded back wirth the Redskins so Washington could take a QB and Fisher is on the move again for a 2 spot drop and another 1st via the Colts/Browns trade. The Browns watched Houston take Manziel and don't want to take the chance @ missing out on the 2nd of the two QB's they covet as well. Bridgewater to Gordon will be a dynamic combo in Cleveland.

3. Jacksonville Jaguars - Blake Bortles / QB / UCF - This is the "anti-Tebow" in state option. A Florida guy tabbed as the future QB to turn around a Florida team. This will help the Jags sell tickets and it helps that the guy is already better than their former "Franchise QB", Blaine Gabbert. Bortles has the talent to succeed, but the Jags will have to do a great job getting the pieces around him to be successful. Look for this draft to be heavy on the offensive side of the ball for the Jags.

4. St. Louis Rams(from Cleveland) - Khalil Mack / LB / Buffalo - The Rams pick up extra draft picks in the trade with Cleveland and still get who many believe is the top LB prospect in the draft. He will immediately step in as the SLB in St. Louis forming one of the best LB units in all of football with Laurinaitis and Alec Ogeltree. Fisher loves a punishing defense and this unit will rival the Seahawks/49ers.

5. Oakland Raiders - Sammy Watkins / WR / Clemson - The Raiders will select a QB in Round 2 almost certainly, but here they get argueably the best WR prospect in the draft. Watkins has blazing speed, great hands, and is a threat to go the distance every time he touches the ball. Al Davis will be smiling somewhere when they make this pick.

6. Atlanta Falcons - Jadeveon Clowney / DE / South Carolina - Just too talented to fall any further. Last year the talk was Clowney being the #1 pick in the draft hands down. This year after seemeingly taking it easy on the field, and some carelessness off of it, he falls right into the lap of the Atlanta Falcons. They won't pass up the opportunity to get a guy like that for their defensive front.

7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Anthony Barr / LB / UCLA - What does Lovie Smith know? Defense. He knows that he can line up Barr as a DE on obvious passing situations and stand him up @ LB the rest of the time. He is a versitile defensive playmaker that can cover a lot of ground on every snap and will fit perfectly into Lovie's Tampa 2 scheme.

8. Minnesota Vikings - Justin Gilbert / CB / Oklahoma St. - They got Xavier Rhodes last year in Round 1 and get another CB this year. They are trying to revamp the defense in Minnesota and I expect them to do so here as there is not a viable option @ QB that would justify the #8 pick, see the past result of grabbing Ponder @ #12. They will not reach for a QB this year.

9. Buffalo Bills - Jake Matthews / OT / Texas A&M - Who would've thought the Buffalo Bills would have their pick of the top OT's in the draft? I have Matthews as the selection here because he played RT until Luke Joeckel made the jump to the NFL last year. He's versatile, comes from a great pedigree, and is NFL ready. Major upgrade for our OL here, major.

10. Detroit Lions - Marquise Lee / WR / USC - Calvin Johnson hasn't had a solid running mate opposite him since he's been in the NFL. The Lions will hope this pick changes that. He'll surely take some of the pressure off of Calvin and provide Stafford with yet another weapon in the passing game.

11. Tennessee Titans - Mike Evans / WR / Texas A&M - Ken Wisenhunt takes over in Tennesse and gets his QB a WR who can make plays. One of those guys you can just throw it up there and watch him come down with the ball. He's a little bigger version of Michael Floyd, whom Wisenhunt drafted in AZ. Put Evans on one side, with Kendall Wright on the other, and Walker hitting the seams in the middle of the field? Nice.

12. New York Giants - Greg Robinson / OT / Auburn - I think we see the end result when the OL does not give Eli time to throw the ball. That OL has to get taken care of. I know they have holes on defense, but you have to protect your Franchise QB.

13. St. Louis Rams - Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix / S / Alabama - The defensive theme continues for St. Louis. This draft could put them with the elite defenses of the NFL, being they are in their own division. But if they could get Mack and Clinton-Dix in the same draft, I really do believe this takes them to another level and they still have another 1st to go.

14. Chicago Bears - Eric Ebron / TE / UNC - What do you give a QB who just signed a HUGE contract, has Matt Forte, Brandon Marshall, and Alshon Jeffrey? Another mismatch for opposing defenses. Ebron is going to be a nightmare for LB's to try to keep up with and Safeties to try to out muscle.

15. Pittsburgh Steelers - Louis Nix III / DT / Notre Dame - The Steelers need someone to clog up the middle of the line so their LB's can make plays. Nix is that player. He had a knee injury this year that kept him out of some games, but all reports say that it should not be a problem going forward and he should easily be 100% by the time the pre-draft process gets under way.

16. Dallas Cowboys - Timmy Jernigan / DT / Florida St. - What the Cowboys need is to draft a new owner and FO, but that won't happen. They also need help on the defensive interior. Jernigan will provide that much.

17. Baltimore Ravens - CJ Mosley / LB / Alabama - Searching for replacements for Lewis and Ellerbe.......Still. They get the best ILB in the draft.

18. New York Jets - Darqueze Dennard / CB / Michigan St. - Milliner started to play better towards the end of the year, but Cromartie was terrible all the way through. They have to do something about that. Dennard is the top CB on some boards and the Jets snag him @ #18 to pair up with Milliner. Cromartie might not even be on the roster come July.

19. Miami Dolphins - Taylor Lewan / OT / Michigan - Its hard to believe that Tannehill made it through this season. Says a lot about the guy's toughness if you ask me. Their line is horrid at best. Throw in the Incognito/Martin fiasco and it is amazing that they were still in the playoff hunt until the last week of the season. Lewan will help to start fixing that train wreck.

20. Arizona Cardinals - Trent Murphy / OLB-DE / Stanford - Murphy will be a stand up edge rusher for a 10-6 team that missed out on the playoffs because they are in the toughest division in football. It is a position that needs an upgrade and Murphy will make them glad for the decision. He looks like a natural fit as a 3-4 OLB.

21. Green Bay Packers - Jace Amaro / TE / Texas Tech - Aaron Rodgers will benefit the most from this. Amaro, like Ebron, is a matchup nightmare for opposing defenses. He will have to work on his blocking if he wants to be an every down TE, but from a receiving standpoint alone he is worth the pick.

22. Philadelphia Eagles - Stephon Tuitt / DE / Notre Dame - The offense is great, but the defense needs work if they really want to contend. Tuitt will be an immediate upgrade and starter on that defensive front. He reminds me a lot of young Richard Seymour and has the ability to slide to the inside to rush the passer in Nickel/Dime situations.

23. Kansas City Chiefs - Austin Seferian-Jenkins / TE / Washington - Alex Smith really needs a quality TE and the Chiefs don't have one. This would help the offense become even more potent in 2014.

24. Cincinnati Bengals - Kelvin Benjamin / WR / Florida St. - Picture what Chicago has with Jeffrey and Marshall. Now that will be Cincy as well with green and Benjamin.

25. San Diego Chargers - Cyril Richardson / OT-OG / Baylor - San Diego looks to protect their rejuvenated Franchise QB and open lanes for their RB's. Rhinehart may be gone in FA and Richardson provides some versatility being able to play both OG and OT. Joe D. will have him ready to step in from day one.

26. St. Louis Rams(from Cleveland) - Kony Ealy / DE / Missouri - Defense, defense, and defense. Does anyone need to tell Jeff Fisher that defense wins Championships? Khalil Mack, Clinton-Dix, and now Kony Ealy in one round of one draft. Why Ealy? He'll sub for Quinn and Long to still get a decent amount of snaps every game. A nice player to have as a backup initially that could grow into more.

27. New Orleans Saints - Antonio Richardson / OT / Tennessee - Brees had to run for his life more this season than in any other I can remember. Richardson would be a solid pick here to help protect your QB.

28. Carolina Panthers - Allen Robinson / WR / Penn St. - Cam needs more weapons on offense and Robinson is a big target who can be just that. He put up excellent numbers while having a young QB slinging the ball to him. Now he'll have a better QB and Steve Smith drawing coverage on the other side along with Olsen over the middle. This could be a GREAT fit for him.

29. New England Patriots - Ra'Shede Hageman / DT-DE / Minnesota - He will line up all over the defensive line for the Pats*, but mainly his snaps will come @ DE in the 3-4.

30. San Francisco 49ers - Kyle Fuller / CB / Virginia Tech - This is probably the one position on defense that the 49ers truly need some help at, or at least some depth. Fuller had a solid year and showed well when facing the better competition.

31. Seattle Seahawks - Gabe Jackson / OG / Mississippi St. - He fits right in with their Power Run scheme on offense and will just be another road grader for Beast Mode to run behind.

32. Denver Broncos - Kareem Martin / DE-OLB / North Carolina - With the last pick in the 1st Round of the 2014 NFL Draft, yes I think the Broncos win the SB, they get a guy whose main focus will be to get to the QB. He has 21.5 tackles for loss and 11.5 sacks this past season. The Broncos are hurting for a pass rush without Von Miller and Martin could help fill that void. At 6'6", 265lbs he already has the ideal NFL frame and is a tremendous athlete.

This was a top quality post.

I too think that Manziel will go first. The team that selects him will immediately boost their ticket sales. I will go as far to say that teams that play against him will sell out. Imo, ticket sales matter in the draft.

When the Bills drafted Spiller, Mr. Wilson said that the Bills needed "more excitement." I thought then and think now that he was talking as a business man, certainly not as a football man.

Think about it.....if Manziel drops to the Bills, they would have nothing to lose by drafting him. Fans would be screaming for EJ's head after 1 bad game. With the rookie cap, even the first pick of the draft costs next to nothing compared to just a few years ago. The Bills could probably pay Manziel's entire salary on increased beer and team merchandise sales.

PS: I am not trying to say that the Bills ALWAYS draft to sell tickets. If they did, it would have been an improvement. They would have selected QBs in lieu of running backs and of course defensive backs. Our drafts could be closer defined as simply inept.

H2o-great job, here! Nothing I like more than someone who makes his picks and justifies the player and why they are being picked,...info on new and existing coaches and their particular strengths and needs and their background was great too!!