BB 2014 Off-season discussion; Mocks, FA, etc.

Armchair GM

Someone please sell me on the idea of taking an OL with the first pick instead of a WR, TE, or LB

CBF

EJ Manuel Played in 9 Full Games

(started 10 and only played half a game against Cleveland).

He posted a QBR above 50 in five of these games.

In these games he averaged 1.4 sacks/game.

He posted a QBR below 33 in four of these games.

In these games he averaged 5.0 sacks/game.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EJ Manuel Played in 9 Full Games

(started 10 and only played half a game against Cleveland).

In these games he averaged 1.4 sacks/game.

In these games he averaged 5.0 sacks/game.

Interesting. How many of the latter games were away? I think this is where a strong O-line is needed most, those away games. Running game has to be good and protection is more difficult with crowd noise.

Interesting. How many of the latter games were away? I think this is where a strong O-line is needed most, those away games. Running game has to be good and protection is more difficult with crowd noise.

Of these games: 4 were home, 1 was away (Jacksonville).

Of these games: all 4 were away.

If only we could use draft picks to acquire more home games. Unfortunately we cannot, but we can use them to upgrade our offensive line, 'buying' ourselves fewer sacks.

Of these games: 4 were home, 1 was away (Jacksonville).

Of these games: all 4 were away.

If only we could use draft picks to acquire more home games. Unfortunately we cannot, but we can use them to upgrade our offensive line, 'buying' ourselves fewer sacks.

thanks. I assumed it was like that. They really do need to upgrade lg and rt.

Steve Spurrier compares Connor Shaw to Russell Wilson

http://profootballta...russell-wilson/

http://stats.washing...s.asp?id=190284

Steve Spurrier says Clowney's work ethic was "OK."

I know that he will be drafted high, but, I think he disappoints.

@mikerodak

ICYMI, here’s our effort to gauge the contract value for Scott Chandler (http://es.pn/MDExL0) and Arthur Moats (http://es.pn/1fjzSZe)

I am, by no means, a fan of what Moats does between the lines, but how can you argue with 1 year at the vet minimum?

picking at ninth, how do you big-board:

Robinson

Watkins

Matthews

Mack

Barr

Lewan

Evans

Ebron

and in a trade-down scenario, how do you big board:

Lewan

Evans

Ebron

Lee

Benjamin

Martin

Seferian-Jenkins

Clinton-Dix

Edited by johnwalter

Someone please sell me on the idea of taking an OL with the first pick instead of a WR, TE, or LB

CBF

I posted this in another thread; however, I think it is appropriate here. It is my view on what this team needs (with OL, IMHO, at the top of the list) and why I wouldn't be upset if they used the #9 pick on OL:

I truly believe this team's greatest needs at the moment are along the offensive line (in particular, LG and RT) and ILB with strong run stopping abilities. Next on the list for me is either a true #1 receiver or TE with real game changing ability. I think there are some strong candidates for OL in free agency and I hope the bills begin to address it there. I am not a big fan of going the route of paying big money to top free agents. I prefer signing strong 2nd and 3rd tier free agents that tend to bring more value for the money. With that said, I wouldn't be opposed to paying reasonable money for a top tier guy if available.

As far as the draft, a lot depends on what the team does in free agency. I have always viewed top 10 picks as the potential to take an impact player (someone who can come in now and be a difference maker) at a position of need. The real question for me is what "impact player" at a position of need would have the greatest impact on the team as a whole? A stud, run stuffing linebacker would go a long way in helping to field a "complete" playoff caliber defense. A true #1 receiver or playmaking TE could really open up the passing game, in turn, helping a young QB, as well as the running game. Offensive line is interesting as far as the #9 pick. I am not a fan of choosing a guard that high in the draft. I have no problem (philosophy wise) choosing a tackle at that position. In looking at the offensive side of the ball, I truly believe the weakness of the offensive line impacted the team's offensive abilities more than the play of any particular skill position player. I group offensive line players into a whole, because it is the line "as a whole" that makes a real difference. One weak link can be incredibly detrimental. Two or more weak links can be catastrophic. A strong, playoff caliber, offensive line can directly improve the play of all skill positions. One or two top caliber linemen (probably a LG and RT) could make this line a top caliber unit - and directly improve the play of the offensive line as a whole. Very rarely can one or two skill position players directly improve offensive line play, compensate for poor offensive line play (most teams do not have the luxury of a Russell Wilson, whose strength is, arguably, his ability to compensate for poor line play), or improve the overall play of the offense to playoff level (Players like Brady, Manning, Brees, Rogers are rare).

I am still a firm believer that most championship teams begin with strong defensive and offensive lines. A few teams may find that one superstar skill player that can compensate for poor line play - most do not. I think we have a playoff caliber defensive line. The offensive line is not. So, for me, free agency and the draft (in the 1st round or any other round) need to be (in order of importance):

(1) First and foremost about building that offensive line into the strength that it should be.

(2) Finding a LB with real run stuffing ability

(3) A true #1 receiver or playmaking TE (preferably both)

A strong offensive line would be this team's greatest step toward giving EJ the best chance possible to show this year that he is "the guy."

Just saw on the ticker that Coughlin believes Tuck, Nix & Beason all deserve to test the FA market...Beason, IMHO, should be a target for the Bills. Great stop gap 2-3 year guy as a starter. I don't think there is an ILB in this years draft worth it until the later rounds, which is even more of a crap shoot. Pick up Beason and a later round draft pick to develop and wait for a true stud ILB in the next couple drafts.

Edited by Armchair GM

picking at ninth, how do you big-board:

I'm doing this for the Bills, at #9, and I'll put where I would put "trade-down" as an option:

Robinson

Mack

Matthews

Watkins

Ebron

Trade Down and take Martin (or Clinton-Dix is we "freeByrd", which is unlikely)

Seferian-Jenkins

If we do take Greg Robinson, I put him at RT for a year and draft:

1 9 Buffalo Greg Robinson RT Auburn P2 +3 Value

2 41 Buffalo A Seferian-Jenkins TE Washington P2 +0 Value

3 73 Buffalo Anthony Steen OG Alabama P2 +1 Value

Now you have a Line and a better run game, and you've saved EJ's knee from a 4th surgery.

Now to make Jim Schwartz happy:

4 105 Buffalo Aaron Lynch DE43 South Florida (or Kelcy Quarles DT43 South Carolina)

5 137 Buffalo Andrew Jackson ILB W Kentucky P2 +4 Value

Then, get your big RB to complement an aging FJ and CJ:

6 169 Buffalo Terrance West RBF Towson P3 -1 Reach

Finally, a 6'2", 220-lb. Div 2 WR who's capable of a 4.37 this weekend:

7 201 Buffalo Jeff Janis WRF Saginaw Valley P3 +5 Value

Edited by Astrobot