BB 2014 Off-season discussion; Mocks, FA, etc.

Armchair GM

If that we our offseason I would be thrilled. I'm on record as not being a hogan fan and with the additions of Watkins and Britt there is no reason to keep him around. On the flip side I think that Leonard adds to the defense (he's so smart). Flip flop those 2 and that offseason would be unbelievable.

*cracks knuckles*

Okay, here is my very early mock offseason. I reserve the right to change and edit this post every few minutes, dependent on team happenings.

Re-Sign

----------

S Jairus Byrd (Duh), 5 year deal

K Dan Carpenter, 2 year deal

DE Alex Carrington, 1 year deal

LB Arthur Moats, 2 year deal

OL Thomas Welch, RFA

WR Chris Hogan, RFA

Release / Choose Not To Re-Sign

-------------------------------------------

TE Scott Chandler

S Jim Leonhard

TE Mike Caussian

OT Erik Pears (2.9 million in savings)

QB Kevin Kolb (3.1 million in savings)

Unrestricted Free Agents

--------------------------------

WR Kenny Britt, 1 year deal

TE Brandon Pettigrew, 3 year deal

OT/OG Rodger Saffold, 5 year deal (our "big" free agent signing, can play at either RT or LG)

LB Mike Neal, 3 year deal

NFL Draft

-------------

1) Sammy Watkins, WR out of Clemson

2) Kyle Van Noy, OLB out of BYU

3) Gabe Jackson, OG out of Mississippi State

4) C.J. Fiedorowicz, TE out of Iowa

5) Storm Johnson, RB out of Central Florida

6) Connor Shaw, QB out of South Carolina

7) Kenarious Gates, OT/OG out of Georgia

This. All day!! Even if a few of them happen it would be a win.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*cracks knuckles*

Okay, here is my very early mock offseason. I reserve the right to change and edit this post every few minutes, dependent on team happenings.

Re-Sign

----------

S Jairus Byrd (Duh), 5 year deal

K Dan Carpenter, 2 year deal

DE Alex Carrington, 1 year deal

LB Arthur Moats, 2 year deal

OL Thomas Welch, RFA

WR Chris Hogan, RFA

Release / Choose Not To Re-Sign

-------------------------------------------

TE Scott Chandler

S Jim Leonhard

TE Mike Caussian

OT Erik Pears (2.9 million in savings)

QB Kevin Kolb (3.1 million in savings)

Unrestricted Free Agents

--------------------------------

WR Kenny Britt, 1 year deal

TE Brandon Pettigrew, 3 year deal

OT/OG Rodger Saffold, 5 year deal (our "big" free agent signing, can play at either RT or LG)

LB Mike Neal, 3 year deal

NFL Draft

-------------

1) Sammy Watkins, WR out of Clemson

2) Kyle Van Noy, OLB out of BYU

3) Gabe Jackson, OG out of Mississippi State

4) C.J. Fiedorowicz, TE out of Iowa

5) Storm Johnson, RB out of Central Florida

6) Connor Shaw, QB out of South Carolina

7) Kenarious Gates, OT/OG out of Georgia

Love everything but Watkins in the 1st. The Bills have drafted that exact guy (size and all) in the 3rd round the past 2 years. I don't see a WR in the 1st this year. Unless somehow a Calvin Johnson type falls to #9, get over seeing a WR there. It's going to be an OT there or a trade down. The rest of the draft and F/A would be great and if Storm Johnson is there in the 5th, sprint to the podium. Living in central florida and seeing him, grab him if he falls that far. Bortles would be a nice QB too but EJ has much bigger upside and Bortles wouldn't fit as a #2 in buffalo.

Edited by flomoe

How about FA and draft implications with Schwartz being the new DC?

Seems to me that switching back to a 43, even though we mostly had 4 man fronts last year, makes the need for a true MLB even more apparent!

It definitely does. FA or high draft pick - would be my guess.

As for the # 2 pick 2) Kyle Van Noy, OLB out of BYU, do Mormon players from these schools have to go on a 2 year mission when they graduate? If so, that will not work. No way do we use a 2nd rd pick on someone who has to take a couple of years off.

Mock draft, version 2.0:

Lucky us is right...but how about putting together a potentially great O-Line and forget about trying to fix everything in a year? IMHO, there a couple of mid-late rounders who, at this point, are flying under the radar. Problem is, the "pro's" will catch on, eventually. Here's what I came up woth as my 2nd version of a mock:

Round 1 Pick 9: Zack Martin, OT, Notre Dame - There's a good chance that Matthews and Robinson are off the board before we get our chance @ the podium...so be it, I want Martin anyway. Here's a plug and play OG with perennial prow bowler written all over him.

Round 2 Pick 9: Morgan Moses, OT, Virginia - Put on a display at the Sr. Bowl. Dee Ford...no problem for Mr. Moses. Known as a dominant run blocker, he surprised a few with great pass protection during Sr. Bowl week. This may have been enough to boost his stock up into a late day 1 pick and if he shows well @ the combine...

Round 3 Pick 9: Donte Moncrief, WR, Ole Miss - This is one of the "under the radar" guys I am talking about. IMHO, this kid may turn out to be the best WR selected in this years draft. @ 6'3" and 225lbs. he's a strong, big bodied receiver who most CB's won't be able to jamb. He runs smooth routes and flashes outstanding agility with his sharp cuts. Great hands and breakaway speed makes him a nightmare for DB's...again, IMHO

Round 4 Pick 9: Joe Don Duncan, TE, Dixie St - #2 "under the radar" type of guy. A small schooler who absolutely dominated the competition. Big dude @ 6'4" 270 who put up WR like #'s as a TE. Has a mean streak and is a complete TE who can block just as well as he can catch.

Round 5 Pick 9: Max Bullough, ILB, Michigan State - This kid is an absolute machine on the field. Great legacy in Spartan football history. The prototypical size for my preference of a MLB. Problem is, we still don't know what team rule he violated to get suspended for the Rose Bowl. Given his namesake, captainship and outstanding play it jmust have been something a bit more serious than other infractions that get swept under the rug. Couple that with the fact he showed up to the East West game 20lbs over his playing weight, his stock slides a bit. Maybe even flip flop him with the next guy...

Round 6 Pick 9: Will Clarke, DE, West Virginia - Here's another kid that put on a show @ the Sr. Bowl. Big dude @ 6'6" 275, shows to be the bookend opposite "Super" Mario.

Round 7 Pick 9: Vinnie Sunseri, SS, Alabama - The only reason this kid is still available is the knee injury that knocked him out of most of his last season with 'Bama. EVERYONE is shocked that he declared. Probably should have Stayed and became a day 1 selection in 2015, but this proves to be a low risk high reward type pick.

Love everything but Watkins in the 1st. The Bills have drafted that exact guy (size and all) in the 3rd round the past 2 years. I don't see a WR in the 1st this year. Unless somehow a Calvin Johnson type falls to #9, get over seeing a WR there. It's going to be an OT there or a trade down. The rest of the draft and F/A would be great and if Storm Johnson is there in the 5th, sprint to the podium. Living in central florida and seeing him, grab him if he falls that far. Bortles would be a nice QB too but EJ has much bigger upside and Bortles wouldn't fit as a #2 in buffalo.

Goodwin is listed at 5'9 and Graham shouldn't be in the NFL. Watkins is fast like both of them but other than that I don't get saying they're the same type players.

Mock draft, version 2.0:

Lucky us is right...but how about putting together a potentially great O-Line and forget about trying to fix everything in a year? IMHO, there a couple of mid-late rounders who, at this point, are flying under the radar. Problem is, the "pro's" will catch on, eventually. Here's what I came up woth as my 2nd version of a mock:

Round 1 Pick 9: Zack Martin, OT, Notre Dame - There's a good chance that Matthews and Robinson are off the board before we get our chance @ the podium...so be it, I want Martin anyway. Here's a plug and play OG with perennial prow bowler written all over him.

Round 2 Pick 9: Morgan Moses, OT, Virginia - Put on a display at the Sr. Bowl. Dee Ford...no problem for Mr. Moses. Known as a dominant run blocker, he surprised a few with great pass protection during Sr. Bowl week. This may have been enough to boost his stock up into a late day 1 pick and if he shows well @ the combine...

Round 3 Pick 9: Donte Moncrief, WR, Ole Miss - This is one of the "under the radar" guys I am talking about. IMHO, this kid may turn out to be the best WR selected in this years draft. @ 6'3" and 225lbs. he's a strong, big bodied receiver who most CB's won't be able to jamb. He runs smooth routes and flashes outstanding agility with his sharp cuts. Great hands and breakaway speed makes him a nightmare for DB's...again, IMHO

Round 4 Pick 9: Joe Don Duncan, TE, Dixie St - #2 "under the radar" type of guy. A small schooler who absolutely dominated the competition. Big dude @ 6'4" 270 who put up WR like #'s as a TE. Has a mean streak and is a complete TE who can block just as well as he can catch.

Round 5 Pick 9: Max Bullough, ILB, Michigan State - This kid is an absolute machine on the field. Great legacy in Spartan football history. The prototypical size for my preference of a MLB. Problem is, we still don't know what team rule he violated to get suspended for the Rose Bowl. Given his namesake, captainship and outstanding play it jmust have been something a bit more serious than other infractions that get swept under the rug. Couple that with the fact he showed up to the East West game 20lbs over his playing weight, his stock slides a bit. Maybe even flip flop him with the next guy...

Round 6 Pick 9: Will Clarke, DE, West Virginia - Here's another kid that put on a show @ the Sr. Bowl. Big dude @ 6'6" 275, shows to be the bookend opposite "Super" Mario.

Round 7 Pick 9: Vinnie Sunseri, SS, Alabama - The only reason this kid is still available is the knee injury that knocked him out of most of his last season with 'Bama. EVERYONE is shocked that he declared. Probably should have Stayed and became a day 1 selection in 2015, but this proves to be a low risk high reward type pick.

Picks 3 4 5 are full of great insight. Dude you gotta call Buddy or at least forward this posting to him :worthy:

if watkins, matthews, and robinson are gone id be very happy seeing us trade down a few spots and picking up marquise lee or zach martin.

I didn't want to get into trade scenarios, but since you mentioned it...and seems like a lot of other mocks out there have Martin going later in the first, why not trade back a few spots and pick up an extra 2nd. This alters my mock and opens up the 4th rd.

rd 1, pick XX - Martin

Rd. 2 pick 9 - Austin Sefarian Jenkins (long shot, but no-brainer if he's there). 2 sport athlete and I like what a basketball player could bring to the TE/WR position as they have a good grasp on body position and boxing out.

Rd. 2 pick XX - Moses

Rd. 3 pick 9 - Moncrief

Rd. 4 pick 9 - Jeremiah Attaochu, OLB Georgia Tech; 6'3" 252. Big kid that can move! Good pass rusher who played all over the place durring Sr. week, and had no let down from OLB to ILB, even had his hand on the ground @ DE. He may not be around this late, but it's a pre combine mock in Feb...

rd's 5-7, see above.

Moncrief's one that could be a steal. He doesn't have spectacular short area burst, and the ball occasionally bounces off his hands, but he's still a big guy with good deep speed who can win a contest for a jump ball, break a tackle, and he's still shifty enough to use his moves & agility to get open. He's also a halfway decent run blocker. If we took him in the 3rd I'd be ecstatic.

Edited by Rob's House

I didn't want to get into trade scenarios, but since you mentioned it...and seems like a lot of other mocks out there have Martin going later in the first, why not trade back a few spots and pick up an extra 2nd. This alters my mock and opens up the 4th rd.

rd 1, pick XX - Martin

Rd. 2 pick 9 - Austin Sefarian Jenkins (long shot, but no-brainer if he's there). 2 sport athlete and I like what a basketball player could bring to the TE/WR position as they have a good grasp on body position and boxing out.

Rd. 2 pick XX - Moses

Rd. 3 pick 9 - Moncrief

Rd. 4 pick 9 - Jeremiah Attaochu, OLB Georgia Tech; 6'3" 252. Big kid that can move! Good pass rusher who played all over the place durring Sr. week, and had no let down from OLB to ILB, even had his hand on the ground @ DE. He may not be around this late, but it's a pre combine mock in Feb...

rd's 5-7, see above.

moses in the mid-second would be an incredible steal, the dude is a physical freak. this is c.j. spillers dream scenario.