BB 2014 Off-season discussion; Mocks, FA, etc.

Armchair GM

moses in the mid-second would be an incredible steal, the dude is a physical freak. this is c.j. spillers dream scenario.

I can't believe this guy slipped past me in my own back yard. I haven't paid attention to UVA b/c they suck, but I watched this guy against OR & VT and I must say I was impressed. I'd feel really good about him holding down the RT position for the next 10 years.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No way we take Mack. Sorry just doesn't make sense with Watkins, Ebron or Evans all for the taking (assuming at least two of them are still there at 9).

I don't know...a big, atheltic LB that can thump against the Run and cover in space, sounds exactly what this LB corp really needs...if Mack is there, and he probably won't be, by the time the BILLS pick and they have NOT addressed the LB issue in FA, I couldn't imagine a better scenario for the BILLS...because I think he is top 5 talent. That said, I also like an OT at this position. I am completely for burning The Ralph to the ground if they Draft a TE and wouldn't sour on Drafting a WR, unless they trade down and pick up another 2nd...but, that's me

Mock draft, version 2.0:

Lucky us is right...but how about putting together a potentially great O-Line and forget about trying to fix everything in a year? IMHO, there a couple of mid-late rounders who, at this point, are flying under the radar. Problem is, the "pro's" will catch on, eventually. Here's what I came up woth as my 2nd version of a mock:

Round 1 Pick 9: Zack Martin, OT, Notre Dame - There's a good chance that Matthews and Robinson are off the board before we get our chance @ the podium...so be it, I want Martin anyway. Here's a plug and play OG with perennial prow bowler written all over him.

Round 2 Pick 9: Morgan Moses, OT, Virginia - Put on a display at the Sr. Bowl. Dee Ford...no problem for Mr. Moses. Known as a dominant run blocker, he surprised a few with great pass protection during Sr. Bowl week. This may have been enough to boost his stock up into a late day 1 pick and if he shows well @ the combine...

Round 3 Pick 9: Donte Moncrief, WR, Ole Miss - This is one of the "under the radar" guys I am talking about. IMHO, this kid may turn out to be the best WR selected in this years draft. @ 6'3" and 225lbs. he's a strong, big bodied receiver who most CB's won't be able to jamb. He runs smooth routes and flashes outstanding agility with his sharp cuts. Great hands and breakaway speed makes him a nightmare for DB's...again, IMHO

Round 4 Pick 9: Joe Don Duncan, TE, Dixie St - #2 "under the radar" type of guy. A small schooler who absolutely dominated the competition. Big dude @ 6'4" 270 who put up WR like #'s as a TE. Has a mean streak and is a complete TE who can block just as well as he can catch.

Round 5 Pick 9: Max Bullough, ILB, Michigan State - This kid is an absolute machine on the field. Great legacy in Spartan football history. The prototypical size for my preference of a MLB. Problem is, we still don't know what team rule he violated to get suspended for the Rose Bowl. Given his namesake, captainship and outstanding play it jmust have been something a bit more serious than other infractions that get swept under the rug. Couple that with the fact he showed up to the East West game 20lbs over his playing weight, his stock slides a bit. Maybe even flip flop him with the next guy...

Round 6 Pick 9: Will Clarke, DE, West Virginia - Here's another kid that put on a show @ the Sr. Bowl. Big dude @ 6'6" 275, shows to be the bookend opposite "Super" Mario.

Round 7 Pick 9: Vinnie Sunseri, SS, Alabama - The only reason this kid is still available is the knee injury that knocked him out of most of his last season with 'Bama. EVERYONE is shocked that he declared. Probably should have Stayed and became a day 1 selection in 2015, but this proves to be a low risk high reward type pick.

Oh yea...for those first 4 picks :worthy:

Michael Necci's Mock Draft - some eyebrow raisers in here for me, or maybe I am just in Byrd-enial.

http://www.buffalowi...ersion-1-0.html

Seems to be a bunch of regurgitated babble with no real, original thought put into his assessments...Why ever bother mentioning Manziel or Clowney. I'm not all that amped about Watkins either. The kid is good, don't get me wrong, but 60% of his receptions were on screens..."dynamic" is a word that is being thrown around by the pundits wayyyyy too often these days....UM, Bush was "dynamic," Spiller was "dynamic," Hopkins and Austin were "dynamic." Yes, they may turn into good players, eventually, but the transition into the NFL doesn't bode well for all these players that get the moniker. Ebron is a large receiver, not a TE...again, very good, but I want my TE to be 250-260 and be able to put a hand on the ground and throw a decent block. Even is we let Byrd walk, I'd say the chance of picking a S @ #9 is slim.

Rob Quinn@RQUINN619 10h

Buffalo Bills Mock Offseason: http://forgedinbuffa...picks/ … If I were Doug Whaley...

The projected selection of Martavis Bryant in the 5th would be HUGE, IMO. I actually love almost everything he did here, although not 100% sold on Wilder.

Boooooring...but very, very realistic. Can't say I'd be terribly disappointed if a scenario like this shakes out.

Oh yea...for those first 4 picks :worthy:

The more I watch Duncan, the less excited I get. He's just not that polished route runner and down field threat...but, he allways seems to be right where his QB needs him to bail him out and get a first down. So, really, not bad.

Seems to be a bunch of regurgitated babble with no real, original thought put into his assessments...Why ever bother mentioning Manziel or Clowney. I'm not all that amped about Watkins either. The kid is good, don't get me wrong, but 60% of his receptions were on screens..."dynamic" is a word that is being thrown around by the pundits wayyyyy too often these days....UM, Bush was "dynamic," Spiller was "dynamic," Hopkins and Austin were "dynamic." Yes, they may turn into good players, eventually, but the transition into the NFL doesn't bode well for all these players that get the moniker. Ebron is a large receiver, not a TE...again, very good, but I want my TE to be 250-260 and be able to put a hand on the ground and throw a decent block. Even is we let Byrd walk, I'd say the chance of picking a S @ #9 is slim.

Boooooring...but very, very realistic. Can't say I'd be terribly disappointed if a scenario like this shakes out.

The more I watch Duncan, the less excited I get. He's just not that polished route runner and down field threat...but, he allways seems to be right where his QB needs him to bail him out and get a first down. So, really, not bad.

My assessment on Watkins, to a T. I wish I could say our OC would bring him in and utilize him like Percy Harvin and he would revolutionize our offense, but I am not at all confident of that based on that fact we didn't even run screens last year for the fast guy we already have from Clemson. I just can't justify taking Watkins at 9 based on our coaches, scheme and needs. To me, that would be an old Bills regime pick. Yes, we need a WR, but I think taking one in the top 10, unless it is a Calvin Johnson or AJ Green (he isn't), for this team, doesn't make sense.

I guess that I disagree with Yolo & Armchair GM (2 poster that I usually do agree with) on Watkins. To me he is heads and shoulders the best playmaker in this draft. I highly doubt that he is there at 9 but anytime that you have a struggling offense and you have the chance to select the best playmaker you do it. It is so much harder to find dynamic weapons than it is to find a solid RT. Watkins is a guy that can score from anywhere on the field and is a much more complete receiver than he gets credit for. The Harvin comparison is probably fair but I think that he is a more polished route runner and maybe not quite as explosive with the ball in his hands. A full sized Desean Jackson or Victor Cruz may be better comparisons.

I guess that I disagree with Yolo & Armchair GM (2 poster that I usually do agree with) on Watkins. To me he is heads and shoulders the best playmaker in this draft. I highly doubt that he is there at 9 but anytime that you have a struggling offense and you have the chance to select the best playmaker you do it. It is so much harder to find dynamic weapons than it is to find a solid RT. Watkins is a guy that can score from anywhere on the field and is a much more complete receiver than he gets credit for. The Harvin comparison is probably fair but I think that he is a more polished route runner and maybe not quite as explosive with the ball in his hands. A full sized Desean Jackson or Victor Cruz may be better comparisons.

Good comparison. One good thing that would happen if we took him is TJ Graham would definitely be headed to the bench or cut, IMO. Apparently he and CJ are pretty tight, FWIW. Edited by YoloinOhio

Good comparison. One good thing that would happen if we took him is TJ Graham would definitely be headed to the bench or cut, IMO. Apparently he and CJ are pretty tight, FWIW.

Yeah, I think that TJ Graham is going to have a hard time making the team next year either way. They already added Barden and I expect them to add at least one more WR. My guess is that next year's receiving core will be (in no particular order): Stevie, Woods, Goodwin, Barden, new guy, Easley (and Brandon Kaufman on the ps). Obviously, a lot can change between now and the start of the season (like Kaufman beating out Barden) but the deck seems a little stacked against TJ IMO. Edited by Kirby Jackson

Yeah, I think that TJ Graham is going to have a hard time making the team next year either way. They already added Barden and I expect them to add at least one more WR. My guess is that net year's receiving core will be (in no particular order): Stevie, Woods, Goodwin, Barden, new guy, Easley (and Brandon Kaufman on the ps). Obviously, a lot can change between now and the start of the season (like Kaufman beating out Barden) but the deck seems a little stacked against TJ IMO.

Agreed, I have high hopes for Barden. One can dream. It is tough to give up on a 3rd rd pick, but TJ wasn't this staff's pick, so they may be able to do it a little more easily.

In hopes of centralizing most of the discussion, I am starting this thread. All things related to the Bills' off-season are welcome...needs, FA targets, draft prospects & mock drafts, futures signings, new hires, likes/dislikes, et al.

Free Agency

Not all that attractive this year. Some big names, but that doesn't mean a good fit, although Jimmy Graham would fit anywhere. I like Decker too, but not so sure he presents the best value for cap money.

2 guys I do like, and I'll get flamed for this, are Brandon Spikes and Wade Smith.

Spikes is what he is...a 2 down, hole plugging run stuffer. He's a liability on passing downs but I think, for the most part, we'd be able to get him off the field in time. Kiko, as much as I love him, is simply not that 250ish ILB that will plug a hole, take out a blocker, shed and tackle. Spikes just blows runs up at or behind the line. Getting IR'd in January for being late doesn't bode well for a contract extension.

Wade Smith is a consistent, above average vet. OG this team will need to bring along what they hope to be solid young prospects. He's old, 33 to start nest season, but he's played his best over the last 2 seasons and would be a a nice stop gap mentor for 1-2 years.

I'm sure there are more guys at the 2nd-3rd tier level that we may kick the tires on, but that involves much more time and access than I got.

Mock Draft 1.0

It's super early...pre Sr. Bowl, combine, etc. so I based mine on what I Billieve to be team need...LB, O Line, WR, TE, SS and RB.

We are off to a good start in building a solid LB core. Kiko played very well and will progress. Manny isn't getting any younger (30 by the time the season starts), and then there is no one...Bradham, Moats and the rest are decent depth guys, but not much more than that. Not even so sure about Bradham in that regard either.

Rd 1, pick 9 - Khalil Mack, LB Buffalo. 6'3" 248Lbs. Homer pick...maybe, but this kid can flat out play! I've seen him all over the place on the draft boards, from top 50 to start the season to top 15 and now a top 10 selection. With the addition of Spikes and this pick next to Kiko and Lawson...pretty sick group!

Over the years we've pieced together a decent O Line. Far from great, but decent. We need some stability here. Wood & Glen are still young enough to blend in some better talent so they can gel. Some stability and longevity goes a long when you get a good group together. Look at Indy. For a bunch of years they had a great OL to protect Manning, which is something to emulate.

Rd 2, pick 41(a) - Cyril Richardson, G Baylor. 6'6" 340lbs. Big bodied brute. Dudes a mauler in run blocking but is surprisingly light on his feet, quick and athletic. He may get snatched up in rd. 1, so next best would be...

41(b) Gabe Jackson, G Miss St. 6'3" 340Lbs. Showed very well against top opponents. Well rounded, heady lineman

Here's where I go WR. This kid shows very well and could end up being the surprise talent of this years draft...yes, better than WAtkins, Evans, Lee...The late season signing of Moeaki signing and my belief that Chandler will extend helps take my attention away from TE for now.

Rd 3, pick 73 - Donte Moncrief, WR Miss. 6'3" 226lbs. Quick, breakaway speed on a big bodied receiver who has great hands and runs sharp, smooth routes. Beats the jam and can get behind a CB. Also, goes over the middle w/out fear. I've read that this kid is a nightmare for DB's.

Back to the OL. We signed our vet and got our young stud at G, so now we need the other bookend. I waited till now because we're still not sure what have in Hairston. Is he made of glass, or does he build upon 2 years ago, progress and become a good RT?

Rd 4, pick 105 - Justin Britt, OT Missouri. 6'6" 315lbs. First ever Kent Hull award winner given to the best collegiate OL in the state of Missouri. Um, doesn't this mean he's an absolute must pick for the Bills? Anyway, Long & lean with great bend. Smooth kick/slide.

Now we address the TE position. Here's a small schooler, division II player that simply dominates at that level. A TE with WR like stats. Missed a yr due to a previous leg injury that came around to cause some trouble.

Rd 5, pick 137 - Joe Don Duncan, TE Dixie St. 6'4" 270lbs. Shattered TE receiving records as a Jr. in 2011, missed 2012 then came back and broke all his own records in 2013. How many TE's catch 71 balls for 1045 yrds and 13 TD's?

Depending on what happens with Byrd, addressing the defensive backfield may make me rethink priority level here, but...

Rd 6, pick 169 - Hakeem Smith, SS Louisville. 6' 186Lbs. More apt to break up a pass than to pick it off, but uses his length well in coverage and isn't afraid to come up in run support. Is/was all big east every year he's played.

I'm throwing in a RB cuz Freddy isn't getting any younger and CJ will need to prove his big play potential. Though CJ didn't have a bad year, he's coming into his final year of his rookie deal and fell short of the dynamic player moniker he was tabbed with prior to the season.

Rd 7, pick 201 - Storm Johnson, RB UCF. 6' 215lbs. Big back with decent speed who was overshadowed by his QB, Bortles. This kid can run...and run...and run.

Futures signings

IMHO the only one worth discussion right now is our latest signing in Ramses Barden. He's huge, big RZ target who showed a flash, albeit limited to one game before an ACL injury. Interesting player to throw into the WR mix.

Coaches

No major gripes here...actually, wait a minute...what's up with not firing Crossman? WTF? He's terrible, always has been and shows nothing in the way of making any improvement to a very, very weak unit. I get that he's Marrone's buddy, but C'MON MANNNNN!

Fire away!

here's another source which has your pick of Mack at #9 coming true .....http://nflmocks.com/2014/01/06/2014-nfl-mock-draft-update-first-trade-speculations/?utm_source=outbrain&utm_medium=desktop&utm_term=content

as for the TE pick in the 5th, how can you not like that with a screen actors' guild name like Joe Don Duncan ???

Rob Quinn@RQUINN619 10h

Buffalo Bills Mock Offseason: http://forgedinbuffa...picks/ … If I were Doug Whaley...

The projected selection of Martavis Bryant in the 5th would be HUGE, IMO. I actually love almost everything he did here, although not 100% sold on Wilder.

Wilder selection is puzzling. I loved who the Bills picked in the DraftTek DRAFTSIM more, actually.