Best NFL coach the last 25 years...

Dopey

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Take away Tom Brady. What's left?

How was he in Cleveland?

He was actually pretty good in Cleveland.

He had to fight the backlash over going with testaverde over everyone's favorite guy, kosar. That actually proved to be a good move.

I've read a bunch of articles where folks, in hindsight, realized what a great job he did with a crappy team.

He was actually pretty good in Cleveland.

He had to fight the backlash over going with testaverde over everyone's favorite guy, kosar. That actually proved to be a good move.

I've read a bunch of articles where folks, in hindsight, realized what a great job he did with a crappy team.

There is some validity to the Vinny/Kosar point. Making an unpopular move for the good of the team (see Milloy, Lawyer) is one of his trakemarks.

The 2nd point, I don't know. The hindsight is just that imo. Would those folks be saying the same things if his NE career didn't happen? He won 11 games in his 4th year which is fine, but a lot of guys have a surprise 11win year and are never heard from again. '95 did not look like it was shaping up to be a good year even before the Baltimore announcement/distraction (I'm not sure at what point everyone internally knew about it).

Hey guys, it's the off season for us again so I'm going a little of topic(not really a Bills topic). I saw the post regarding being sick of Manning and Brady. It got me thinking of how Billecheck(sp) has made this team a winner. I know, I know they have Brady, but this guy is a genius. He adapts his game plan every week to take advantage of weaknesses of the opposing team. I know all coaches try to do this, but he does it right. No receivers to throw to?!?! No problem. No marquee Rb, no problem. I know he cheated, but other teams were doing the same(just never caught). IMO he is the best coach I've seen in the last 25 yrs. Also, I could be wrong but Parcells didn't win a SB without him. I don't think Parcells would have won 1 SB without Bellicheck . Sure Bills fans can't stand him, but he is damn good. Any thoughts or other coaches you think is better?

Link? He was a failure with Cleveland and didn't do schit until he had a QB that he felt so well about that he was drafted in the 6th round.

Bill Walsh invented the West Coast Offense. Belichek has not been an innovator but he's been able to win consistently despite injuries and retirements that would have crushed others. Shula was a great Xs and Os guy and always won, in Baltimore and Miami. Lombardi was a great leader as was Joe Gibbs (the first time). Marv Levy was really good for only about 5 years, not in the same class as the others. Jimmy Johnson was an arrogant jerk who rode a great roster without innovating -- not in the same class as Landry or Shula, two guys he got reckless stupid owners to fire so they could hire him.

Note the common denominator of the great coaches. Great QBs. I wonder if there's a connection? :lol:

Edited by Utah John

Bill Walsh invented the West Coast Offense. Belichek has not been an innovator but he's been able to win consistently despite injuries and retirements that would have crushed others. Shula was a great Xs and Os guy and always won, in Baltimore and Miami. Lombardi was a great leader as was Joe Gibbs (the first time). Marv Levy was really good for only about 5 years, not in the same class as the others. Jimmy Johnson was an arrogant jerk who rode a great roster without innovating -- not in the same class as Landry or Shula, two guys he got reckless stupid owners to fire so they could hire him.

Note the common denominator of the great coaches. Great QBs. I wonder if there's a connection? :lol:

Joe Gibbs won 3 rings, with three different squads, none of which featured a HOF calliber QB. Don't underetimate flat-out great coaching and over-estimate "innovation". I happen to agree with you that Jimmy Johnson is (was) an arrogant jerk, but how can you write off his accomplishments as "rode a great roster"...didn't Bill Walsh have a lot of talent to ride? Your reasoning is all over the place...

Edited by Buftex

Gibbs certainly is in the top 2. Belichick is the other.

Don Shula and it's not close. He won more longer and more consistantly than any head coach. He did it with great QBs and pedestrian ones. Take bellicheats record without Brady and he barely cracks .500

Shula spent the bulk of his career with 3 HOF QBs. Even with Marino, he had 5 nonwinning seasons.

Take away Tom Brady. What's left?

How was he in Cleveland?

How was Levy in KC? How was Walsh before Montana?

Repeating a dumb argument doesn't make it any more persuasive.

Edited by Mr. WEO

You'll find the ability to cherry pick faults with most of the top HC's.

Walsh struggled to win before Montana and never won a SB without him.

Noll was 1-13 before Bradshaw and only ever won a SB with him. Furthermore, Noll may well have had the greatest group of players ever assembled onto 1 team at a time.

Landry. Lost 2 of every 3 games he coached his first 6 years on the job. Only ever won a SB with Staubach.

Shula. Never won a SB without Griese on his team.

Lombardi. Never won a SB/championship without Starr.

Brown. Never won a championship without Graham.

Gibbs is the only one who won SB titles using different QB's.

Belichick also has only won a SB title with 1 QB as his guy. However, what differentiates BB from the others is BB won his titles with the constraints of a salary cap and during an era that is meant to result in league wide parity. None of the other HC's mentioned above had to perform under such a restriction. That BB has, over the last 14 seasons while operating under such restriction, directed his team to the AFC championship game 8 times, appeared in the SB 5 times and has come away with 3 Lombardi's is something this league may never see again.

Well, in all fairness, you can't really use the Bills as an accurate measuring stick for pretty much anything on the field football related... :lol:

Can't argue with you on that; the Pats did go 11-5 in '08 with Brady out.

Don Shula and it's not close. He won more longer and more consistantly than any head coach. He did it with great QBs and pedestrian ones. Take bellicheats record without Brady and he barely cracks .500

When it comes to pure head coaching - I look at those coaches who managed to have long term success with and without hall of fame talent (particularly at QB) - or with different teams - or both. Bill Parcells is an interesting guy to me in terms of pure coaching ability. His teams were always so fundamentally sound and competetive. He took two different teams to three superbowls (winning two), a third team to the AFC Championship game, and four different teams total to the playoffs. He did it with great talent and not so great talent - and all without the benefit of ever having a Manning, Brady, Montana, etc. caliber QB. Not to mention, not one of the four teams had more than five wins the year before Parcells took over. How many other coaches have we seen (Jimmy Johnson comes to mind) that had great success with great talent, but average success with average talent.

Edited by billsfan1959