LB coach Chuck Driesbach relieved of duties

BRAWNDO

OMFG make excuses much? If Greggo Marrone wanted accountability then why is Crossman still here? And if Pettine participated in the decision to fire Dreisbach, why would he re-hire him in a few days? I understand that there were fewer choices but that doesn't mean there were no choices. Pettine said he was going to pull his name. If Dreisbach were still here he may have made that decision sooner. None of this is 100% clear, but any way you slice it, it makes Greggo Marrone look bad.

I don't know what to make of the Schwantz hire, and what it all means. I will admit to being surprised.

:w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

:worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

:thumbsup:

(that was good)

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why does firing Dreisbach make Marrone look bad? It's his right to hire and fire whomever he wants and for whatever reason. Is it just because Pettine hired him in Cleveland? That has nothing to do with anything. There's a ton of things to question Marrone about but firing a coach isn't one of them.

GO BILLS!!!

OMFG make excuses much? If Greggo Marrone wanted accountability then why is Crossman still here? And if Pettine participated in the decision to fire Dreisbach, why would he re-hire him in a few days? I understand that there were fewer choices but that doesn't mean there were no choices. Pettine said he was going to pull his name. If Dreisbach were still here he may have made that decision sooner. None of this is 100% clear, but any way you slice it, it makes Greggo Marrone look bad.

I don't know what to make of the Schwantz hire, and what it all means. I will admit to being surprised.

Yes, I love to make excuses! If/when you calm down about it... Dreisbach had a grand total of 0 years of NFL experience when he joined the Bills. Crossman had 11, with 9 years as a coordinator. Decisions can be made after a year differently for different staff members. Do you honestly think Pettine would have pulled out of the process for a HC position where he was the clear finalist sooner if his old buddy was still with the Bills? With his now 1 year of experience? That helped build the #28 ranked run D? It in no way is any reflection of Marrone. If Marrone held on to an underperforming guy with zero experience just to see if Pettine might stay because of it, that would be lack of accountability. Edited by YoloinOhio

Yes, I love to make excuses! If/when you calm down about it... Dreisbach had a grand total of 0 years of NFL experience when he joined the Bills. Crossman had 11, with 9 years as a coordinator. Decisions can be made after a year differently for different staff members. Do you honestly think Pettine would have pulled out of the process for a HC position where he was the clear finalist sooner if his old buddy was still with the Bills? With his now 1 year of experience? That helped build the #28 ranked run D? It in no way is any reflection of Marrone. If Marrone held on to an underperforming guy with zero experience just to see if Pettine might stay because of it, that would be lack of accountability.

:wacko:

Pettine saw Greggo Marrone fire a guy under Pettine's control. This after one year coaching with no true MLB to help stop the run. Meanwhile Crossman, complete with a decade of failure, is retained after costing the team multiple games. Nobody wanted the Cleveland job due to lack of patience by the management. Meanwhile in Buffalo he was already staring at lack of patience PLUS cronyism. If Dresibach, who Pettine obviously feels can do the job, had been retained, the patience issue would be there in Cleveland only and some of the cronyism stuff would have been less obvious.

:wacko:

Pettine saw Greggo Marrone fire a guy under Pettine's control. This after one year coaching with no true MLB to help stop the run. Meanwhile Crossman, complete with a decade of failure, is retained after costing the team multiple games. Nobody wanted the Cleveland job due to lack of patience by the management. Meanwhile in Buffalo he was already staring at lack of patience PLUS cronyism. If Dresibach, who Pettine obviously feels can do the job, had been retained, the patience issue would be there in Cleveland only and some of the cronyism stuff would have been less obvious.

Perhaps Marrone feels more qualified to make the assessment of coaches than some clowns on the internet? Jus a hunch.

What if Marrone does his review on Crossman, no different than he reviews any other coach, and comes to the honest conclusion that Crossman deserves another year? What if he realizes full well that Crossman screwed up, but, that he deserves a second chance?

That's accountability. Marrone himself is being accountable.

Trust me...accountability is not just firing people when everybody knows they screwed up. That's easy, and anyone can do that.

It's also: keeping the people you know are quality, when everybody else wants them fired. That's called: holding yourself accountable, as the boss. That's not easy, and that's why not so many can be the boss.

Nice post and very true.

Given the history, Chuck had to be a family friend. You wonder if this was part of the motivation behind moving on early?

This is something i would consider. Especially since Marrone knew Mike P had aspirations when coming out under Rex's shadow . He proved he could call a fearsome defense and could unbalance offenses at times.

Would not surprise me that a lot of "if this then whats" were discussed by Mike P.and Doug M.and D.Whaley.

These guys harbor no ill will and probably want each other to succeed in the NFL.

just not on the playing field the same day against each other .

So much we may never know behind the scenes.

so far its been a decent and gentlemens transition.

I am impressed so far. Very impressed now that Jim S is in the house !

Go Bills

Any one notice Ike Hilliard was picked up fairly quickly ?

This is something i would consider. Especially since Marrone knew Mike P had aspirations when coming out under Rex's shadow . He proved he could call a fearsome defense and could unbalance offenses at times.

Would not surprise me that a lot of "if this then whats" were discussed by Mike P.and Doug M.and D.Whaley.

These guys harbor no ill will and probably want each other to succeed in the NFL.

just not on the playing field the same day against each other .

So much we may never know behind the scenes.

so far its been a decent and gentlemens transition.

I am impressed so far. Very impressed now that Jim S is in the house !

Go Bills

Any one notice Ike Hilliard was picked up fairly quickly ?

Yep and that ws to be expected with the Redskins. he had a history with Jay Gruden, and that was where he coached before he came to the Bills.

Hilliard was a volunteer coach with the UFL’s Florida Tuskers in 2009 when Gruden was the OC and was promoted to receivers coach in 2010 after Gruden became the Tuskers’ head coach.

Hilliard also played for Tampa Bay from 2005-08, when Gruden was an assistant coach for the team.

@MaryKayCabot

Cleveland Browns hiring former Bills LBs coach Chuck Driesbach http://dlvr.it/4nnJfB

i wonder if Greggo Marrone hadn't interjected himself into the successful defense and started firing people while leaving the completely inept special teams alone, if Pettine would still be here. I don't think we'll ever really know. Even if Schwantz is good, which he should be, Pettine's departure wil still cause a bump in the road at the least.

i wonder if Greggo Marrone hadn't interjected himself into the successful defense and started firing people while leaving the completely inept special teams alone, if Pettine would still be here. I don't think we'll ever really know. Even if Schwantz is good, which he should be, Pettine's departure wil still cause a bump in the road at the least.

You're suggesting Pettine would have left even if he wasn't hired in Cleveland?

GO BILLS!!!

So you think it was ALL Marrone's decision? Or, do you think now that he has this new gig, he is going to find it difficult to compile a staff at this point in time and needs to bring in some guys he can trust and had a healthy relationship with?

Unless you let someone go for economic reasons (company downsizing), you don't hire them back immediately if you're the one who thought he was a problem. So I am guessing him leaving was more Marrone than anything else. You think differently?

In the interview with his home paper, Driesbach said the dismissal completely blindsided him. Since Pettine hired him even before he interviewed O'Neil, I'd say yeah, it probably wasn't Pettine.

I am not finding confirmation on this. Not on the browns website, and the only article I see from bucks county does not confirm it.

It was mentioned on Twitter, but now it's official:

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/01/cleveland_browns_hiring_former.html

Pettine would have stayed if Cleveland fell thru. Been gone next year. We will be fine with Swartze or how you spell it. He will bring some of his own people in and have a good team. Just listened to him on WGR interview. Smart guy and knows the ropes. Has a history with Marrone with respect. Good hire.

Why does firing Dreisbach make Marrone look bad? It's his right to hire and fire whomever he wants and for whatever reason. Is it just because Pettine hired him in Cleveland? That has nothing to do with anything. There's a ton of things to question Marrone about but firing a coach isn't one of them.

GO BILLS!!!

Yes, I love to make excuses! If/when you calm down about it... Dreisbach had a grand total of 0 years of NFL experience when he joined the Bills. Crossman had 11, with 9 years as a coordinator. Decisions can be made after a year differently for different staff members. Do you honestly think Pettine would have pulled out of the process for a HC position where he was the clear finalist sooner if his old buddy was still with the Bills? With his now 1 year of experience? That helped build the #28 ranked run D? It in no way is any reflection of Marrone. If Marrone held on to an underperforming guy with zero experience just to see if Pettine might stay because of it, that would be lack of accountability.

All of this begs the question: why did Marrone fire him (for "underpeforming"?) and Pettine quickly hire him?

Doesn't it suggest Marrone and Pettine have a "philosophcical difference" regarding (at least) Driesbach? It would seem easy to infer that Pettine disagreed with this guy's firing.

Edited by Mr. WEO

Not exactly but he wouldn't have been very gruntled if he stayed around because Greggo Marrone just undermined his authority.

Who undermined whose authority? Did Pettine not report to the HC... and not the other way around? The Greggo thing, btw... still?

All of this begs the question: why did Marrone fire him (for "underpeforming"?) and Pettine quickly hire him?

Doesn't it suggest Marrone and Pettine have a "philosophcical difference" regarding (at least) Driesbach? It would seem easy to infer that Pettine disagreed with this guy's firing.

Sure! Looks that way... although Marrone let him have his guy from Tampa ... Edited by YoloinOhio

Who undermined whose authority? Did Pettine not report to the HC... and not the other way around? The Greggo thing, btw... still?

Sure! Looks that way... although Marrone let him have his guy from Tampa ...

So it is interesting that the strongest unit of the team (easily the D) ends up losing its leader (after a single year--to an organization in chaos), who then rehires the guy Marrone decided had go, and yet the weakest unit on the team (easily STs) sees its leader surviving the purge/exodus.

This doesn't say anything about Marrone (or at least Marrone/Pettine:2013)?

So it is interesting that the strongest unit of the team (easily the D) ends up losing its leader (after a single year--to an organization in chaos), who then rehires the guy Marrone decided had go, and yet the weakest unit on the team (easily STs) sees its leader surviving the purge/exodus.

This doesn't say anything about Marrone (or at least Marrone/Pettine:2013)?

The man took a promotion! Do you think he would have said "No thanks, I love Doug too much!" BTW, MP needs his defensive staff together as soon as humanly possible because he has zilch on the offensive side and he is screwed until he gets that in place with pre-combijne meetings taking place with the other teams in this league this week. If you think Dreisbach was a great coach and Marrone just didn't like him, that's fine. More likely, he is someone Pettine felt comfortable enough with to move forward at least this year, now that he calls the shots, and Marrone felt was able to be upgraded. Edited by YoloinOhio