My pre-combine draft thoughts, how about yours

simpleman

This....is a "Bizzaro World" draft year for me.

1. I want to get an elite WR/TE, or, (more likely) trade down. :o

The reason? Unless we can get a Megatron-type WR/TE in RD1, at our spot, the type of players we need, in terms of position, are all typically late 1st, early 2nd round picks. Putting as many picks as we can in that range should do nicely...we don't need to be in the top 10, but, good thing we are, because somebody is going to want that extra year(5 year contracts for top 10 picks), and trade up to us to get it.

2. I want to draft O line, and I'd like to see at least 3/5 of our top picks used on them. :o

This should be obvious. Hairston is good, but will he be back? We need G, period. We may end up cutting Urbik. :o What I'd like to see here is a guy that can play T, so he can push the Ts....but who can also play G. This way, if he beats out one of the Ts, good, if he's the backup, good, if he's a good guard, good. I don't see how "guard specialization" trumps, versatile O line player.

Perfet scenario = we can trade down to ~15-20, and get the best G in the draft. Then with our extra 2nd, we can get a tackle, and use ours to get the best TE/WR/LB on the board.

3. I don't want to see DB until the 4th. :o :o

Man was I wrong about Robey! :o...or....Man did Robey improve his game from the preseason. :lol: In fact, I am convinced our DBs are good, and they are great with Byrd. This has become a strength on the team(amazing what happens when you finally realize you play in a passing league, with Tom Brady in your division, and act accordingly. Suddenly you don't get blown out anymore, and are in every game until the end, because you can actually cover NFL WRs. Amazing what happens to your sack totals too.... :rolleyes:) Thus, I'm willing to roll the dice on this, because I don't think we'll be as injured as we were this past year. It has to be better, right?

All of this is due to the fact that for the first time in a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time...we don't have any REAL holes on this team. Can we get better at some spots? Of course. That's always true.

This difference is: we aren't counting on every player in the draft class to be an immediate starter, now, or we are screwed :wallbash: We aren't counting on our 5th round pick to be an All-Pro(Kyle Williams), nor are we counting on our 7th round pick to be the #1 WR(Stevie)

We have some wiggle room finally, because we have our skill positions well covered.

Again, EJ is a ?.

A ? is not a -. Therefore, we should not pretend that this year = last year in terms of QB.

I hear the LB thing...but I don't agree at all.

One thing we should take away from this Defense under Pettine? Jerry Hughes looks like an All-Pro, but Jerry Hughes was heading out of football before the trade. Not taking anything away from him, he could have chosen not to work as hard, or sulk, and not take advantage of the new opportunity here, and then he would be out of football, but he didn't. However, if you can turn Jerry Hughes around with this schema? Or better, if the same DC could make use of Aaron Maybin in this schema?

Then why should we go out of our way for LB?

We can find the Tweener we need to play SLB, provided he is fast and can stay with a TE.....from lots of places/draft positions.

Have I ever mentioned that I often very much enjoy your posts OC? This one being one of the better ones. :thumbsup:

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

of course it all depends on who we can pull for a reasonable price in free agency, but i'll take a crack at this one.

from what i understand this is a weak draft class for linebackers, so id like to see 1BD fill our need for a run-stopping LB to pair with Kiko in FA. if we can do that and retain Byrd...

Round 1:

(assuming Mathews, Clowney, Barr, and Manziel are off the board)

WR: Watkins or Lee

OT: Erving or Lewan

Round 2:

(assuming Ebron and Amaro are off the board)

LG: Richardson

TE: Seferian-Jenkins

dreaming big... if we can plug our need at OT with a big name FA like Veldheer, Monroe, Albert, or Strief, it would gives us a ton of flexibility in the draft; id go nuts if our FO used some cap-space to match up one of these guys with Glenn and give us a respectable set of bookend tackles.

I highly doubt Cyril or Richardson are available in second round. And I hate the Mike Evans pick. He is the player I least want the Bills to select. And to select Evans over Lee or Watkins is lunacy

Edited by Pete

Tiny Richardson

This. I thought he was referring to both Cyril & my original post of Antonio "Tiny" Richardson.

I'll add this question. If we were to trade down and pick up an extra pick in the 2nd, who would you recommend picking for:

1.) OL in the 2nd , and why?

2.) TE in the 2nd, and why?

3.) WR in the 2nd, and why?

Please be realistic, we have really lucked out getting Glenn in the 2nd, but do you think we will be that lucky again? I'm open to learning about new options and names, please say why we should choose them and/or give links. Thanks for helping to inform me.

This. I thought he was referring to both Cyril & my original post of Antonio "Tiny" Richardson.

I'll add this question. If we were to trade down and pick up an extra pick in the 2nd, who would you recommend picking for:

1.) OL in the 2nd , and why?

2.) TE in the 2nd, and why?

3.) WR in the 2nd, and why?

Please be realistic, we have really lucked out getting Glenn in the 2nd, but do you think we will be that lucky again? I'm open to learning about new options and names, please say why we should choose them and/or give links. Thanks for helping to inform me.

WR- Jordan Mathews - big physical WR who runs great routes

TE- maybe Sefarin-Jenkins slides to us if we are lucky. If not, Colt Lyerla will slide to 3rd round or later and carries first round grade

G- David Yankey might be there for us in the second. Mauler we need at G

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=119336&draftyear=2015&genpos=te

Edited by Pete

I honestly see Evans comparing to David Nelson in the NFL, though Nelson probably runs a lot more polished routes. I think Evans only has been playing football for 3 years. Not really a guy I would think you would roll the dice on so high.

I agree with your assessment. I'd rather take Lee from USC, who should be available if Watkins isn't. Or Barr, Mosley or Mack (LB's).

Edited by RyanC883

WR- Jordan Mathews - big physical WR who runs great routes

TE- maybe Sefarin-Jenkins slides to us if we are lucky. If not, Colt Lyerla will slide to 3rd round or later and carries first round grade

G- David Yankey might be there for us in the second. Mauler we need at G

http://www.nfldrafts...=2015&genpos=te

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gk0CxGPdxvo

Colt is an interesting option. No doubt he has great on field talent, but his off field issues haunt him. If he was there in the 4th I would take a chance on him. But after seeing the handling of Da'Rick by the Bills, I don't think they would do so. Colt's situation is 10x worse than his was. Some team will take a chance ,and will either waste a pick or hit the jackpot with him.

There is zero chance of the Bills taking a QB at 9...ZERO. Why don't ppl understand this

I am all for taking an OT at 9 or WR Evans

Any team taking Manziel in the top 10 is going to regret it but I don't see it happening and think once scouts get a look at him at the combine that his stock will start falling. He is a playmaker no doubt but don't think he is an NFL starting QB

Sounds like Teeeeebooooooow 2.0

Colt is an interesting option. No doubt he has great on field talent, but his off field issues haunt him. If he was there in the 4th I would take a chance on him. But after seeing the handling of Da'Rick by the Bills, I don't think they would do so. Colt's situation is 10x worse than his was. Some team will take a chance ,and will either waste a pick or hit the jackpot with him.

Similar to the Rogers situation? So you're saying this kid will let every single player on the team work harder than him because he feels entitled to make the team without putting forth effort because he's so talented?

Btw. How did they handle the situation with that Oregon player we drafted last year that also had a checkered past?

It is early in the offseason. No free agency yet and not even the combine. As the team stands right now in personnel, they should focus on getting better in their red zone offense - too many field goals. Some may point to play calling, which may be part of the problem, but the Bills need to create mismatches by having more/better playmakers on offense. So a big WR, quality TE should be their focus. Also an upgrade at LG and RT should be a priority. On defense, we need a bigger ILB who can stuff the run and move Kiko to OLB. I also think the Bills should try to upgrade on Summers. They really could use a big back for 3rd and short situations.

I honestly see Evans comparing to David Nelson in the NFL, though Nelson probably runs a lot more polished routes. I think Evans only has been playing football for 3 years. Not really a guy I would think you would roll the dice on so high.

The only thing Nelson and Evans have in common is they are both 6'5". Nelson was like a 4th option at Florida and wasn't drafted. Evans might be the best receiver in the country. Also, Evans is a much better athlete. How many athletic catches do you remember Nelson ever making? He's a possession wr. Evans is a former basketball player and that fact he has only played football for 3 years could work in his favor. A lot of room for growth.

As others have said, a lot can change before the draft. Based on this last season, I have a group of guys I'd like the Bills to target: Evans, TE Ebron of UNC (he is going to be a stud who had average at best QBs), G Cyril Richardson, Baylor (who will make us never bring up the name Levitre again), LB Skov of Stanford (smart and tough, would look great next to Alonso), LB Borland of Wisconsin (think London Fletcher). I have no idea what round these guys are projected but these guys are players.

Am I the only one who wants one of the top TE's in round 1?

If you get the right TE its like having another great WR.

I always felt that a good TE can be a young QB's best weapon.

TE in round 1 for me!

CBF

Obviously, to each his own. I respect each person's insight, even if I disagree. Which is the case in reference to a TE in Round 1. Here's why: the statistical disadvantage to drafting a TE in the 1st round is pretty big. When you look over the TEs taken in the 1st round over the last ten or so years, many if not most of them have proved to be worth far less than a 1st round selection. Too many to go through all of them, it's on the internet for you to review if you doubt that statement but let me highlight something for you to help make my point without giving an endless stat line. TEs Tony Gonzalez and Vernon Davis are the only current noteworthy 1st round TEs taken in recent memory. And, Vernon Davis was nearly left for road garbage in San Fran until Harbaugh arrived and revived that team. However, players such as Graham, Gates, Witten, Julius Thomas, and Jordan Cameron have all been taken in the 3rd or 4th round. Gronk was taken in the 2nd, and is a rare exception, and even his homicidal cohort Hernandez, despite his sociopathic tendencies, was drafted in the 4th round. Moreover, most of those good to great TEs took two to three years to develop into good or great TEs. When you put that up against a possible starting LB or WR that could be Drafted in the 1st round, and don't forget the BILLS have Chandler, Moekai, and an unknown with a few good flashes in Gragg, it simply doesn't make sense to *me* to Draft a TE in the 1st. I realize we all have our opinions, but this to me just makes more sense. If you're going to Draft a TE, do it in the 3rd round.

Can we stop with this Rogers' crap. Every team passed on him and the Colts cut him before bringing him back because injuries. He's an entitled kid who thinks he's Randy Moss so he can do what he wants. Hopefully for him, he is growing up but faulting coaches for cutting an UDFA who didn't work hard is completely wrong IMO.

And as another poster pointed out, the Bills took several chances on guys with checkered pasts (Alonso, DuKe Williams). Colt seems to be a little more checkered than those 2. The white horse and quitting are different animals. I'm intrigued by him but I'd be very wary of investing a high pick in him.

As others have said, a lot can change before the draft. Based on this last season, I have a group of guys I'd like the Bills to target: Evans, TE Ebron of UNC (he is going to be a stud who had average at best QBs), G Cyril Richardson, Baylor (who will make us never bring up the name Levitre again), LB Skov of Stanford (smart and tough, would look great next to Alonso), LB Borland of Wisconsin (think London Fletcher). I have no idea what round these guys are projected but these guys are players.

That's a good list C. Biscuit. The only one that I disagree with is Evans. I don't think that he will get seperation at the next level.

I wanted to add a few other players that I like in addition to your guys. I am trying to avoid the obvious in this list (Watkins, Mack, Etc..) These guys will be available at different points of the draft & will be good players at the next level IMO: Gabe Jackson (G - Miss St), Kyle Van Noy (LB - BYU), Tre Mason (RB - Auburn), Carlos Hyde (RB - OSU)

Obviously, to each his own. I respect each person's insight, even if I disagree. Which is the case in reference to a TE in Round 1. Here's why: the statistical disadvantage to drafting a TE in the 1st round is pretty big. When you look over the TEs taken in the 1st round over the last ten or so years, many if not most of them have proved to be worth far less than a 1st round selection. Too many to go through all of them, it's on the internet for you to review if you doubt that statement but let me highlight something for you to help make my point without giving an endless stat line. TEs Tony Gonzalez and Vernon Davis are the only current noteworthy 1st round TEs taken in recent memory. And, Vernon Davis was nearly left for road garbage in San Fran until Harbaugh arrived and revived that team. However, players such as Graham, Gates, Witten, Julius Thomas, and Jordan Cameron have all been taken in the 3rd or 4th round. Gronk was taken in the 2nd, and is a rare exception, and even his homicidal cohort Hernandez, despite his sociopathic tendencies, was drafted in the 4th round. Moreover, most of those good to great TEs took two to three years to develop into good or great TEs. When you put that up against a possible starting LB or WR that could be Drafted in the 1st round, and don't forget the BILLS have Chandler, Moekai, and an unknown with a few good flashes in Gragg, it simply doesn't make sense to *me* to Draft a TE in the 1st. I realize we all have our opinions, but this to me just makes more sense. If you're going to Draft a TE, do it in the 3rd round.

Really good thoughts! I don't care where, but we absolutely need a red zone target or two. The teams that are successful in this area all have guys who they can lob/fade to in an iso route. Maybe free agency offers this guy, I doubt it though. If that guy is available at 9, we should take him. If not trade down and garner draft picks.