Eagles Bringing In Competition for Foles

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/eagles-plan-foles-competition-2014-184002344--nfl.html

Apparently they're planning on taking another QB in this year's draft. Preferably one with mobility.

Should Buffalo take this approach?

Big differences here

Foles was not a first round pick last year

Foles was not picked by Chip Kelly

Foles is not the type of QB Chip Kelly prefers

http://sports.yahoo....02344--nfl.html

Apparently they're planning on taking another QB in this year's draft. Preferably one with mobility.

As it should be & if we don't bring in another QB that would prove that this coaching staff is not NFL level coaches !

If you look at all the GOOD NFL teams they are constantly bringing in competition for the players on the team unless you have a Brady or Brees but they still bring in talented players to develop in order to keep the team depth at a high for the team & it's future .

Like they say in the NFL "you are only one injury away from being in the game" Or something like that any way ...

Edited by T master

I really think that the Eagles would have drafted Manuel in the 2nd round. Now, if that did actually happen, what would have happened to the Eagles 2013 season? Who would have been Kelly's QB? I think if that did happen, IMO Manuel would have been the eventual starter and he would have had a great rookie season. I think they would have still made the playoffs with Manuel starting. Why so confident? Because Chip Kelly knows how to coach and he and his offensive players trust in his fast pace system.

It's not that EJ Manuel is so great, it's what Chip Kelly proved he was able to do with the very average and unathletic Nick Foles as his QB.

I really think that the Eagles would have drafted Manuel in the 2nd round. Now, if that did actually happen, what would have happened to the Eagles 2013 season? Who would have been Kelly's QB? I think if that did happen, IMO Manuel would have been the eventual starter and he would have had a great rookie season. I think they would have still made the playoffs with Manuel starting. Why so confident? Because Chip Kelly knows how to coach and he and his offensive players trust in his fast pace system.

It's not that EJ Manuel is so great, it's what Chip Kelly proved he was able to do with the very average and unathletic Nick Foles as his QB.

They were 9-2 with him starting. He came close to setting an NFL QBR rating. Without their number 2 WR, with a rookie head coach. Can the guy get some credit? He's miles ahead of Manuel right now. The difference between him and a guy who has started in the league in Michael Vick were huge. The difference between Manuel and a guy who has been on practice squads were minimal.

If the Eagles are willing to bring in "competition," for Foles and Marrone won't for E.J. I think we're in for the "same old Bills."

They were 9-2 with him starting. He came close to setting an NFL QBR rating. Without their number 2 WR, with a rookie head coach. Can the guy get some credit? He's miles ahead of Manuel right now. The difference between him and a guy who has started in the league in Michael Vick were huge. The difference between Manuel and a guy who has been on practice squads were minimal.

If the Eagles are willing to bring in "competition," for Foles and Marrone won't for E.J. I think we're in for the "same old Bills."

I'll give Foles a lot of credit for what he did this year, but comparing him to Manuel is ridiculous. Foles was in his second full season in the NFL, playing behind a much better offensive line, against a far weaker defensive schedule - only 3 of 16 teams on their schedule ranked in the top 20 in YPP compared to 14 of 16 for the Bills (with 11 in the top 15 and 7 in the top ten), and Manuel missed half the preseason and five weeks of the regular season. Comparing Foles' production last year to Manuel would be more appropriate.

As it should be & if we don't bring in another QB that would prove that this coaching staff is not NFL level coaches !

If you look at all the GOOD NFL teams they are constantly bringing in competition for the players on the team unless you have a Brady or Brees but they still bring in talented players to develop in order to keep the team depth at a high for the team & it's future .

Like they say in the NFL "you are only one injury away from being in the game" Or something like that any way ...

What competition was brought in for Newton, Kaepernick, Luck, Dalton, Tannehill, Ryan, Flacco, Roethlisberger, Smith, Rivers, E. Manning, Cutler, Stafford, and Wilson?

What competition was brought in for Newton, Kaepernick, Luck, Dalton, Tannehill, Ryan, Flacco, Roethlisberger, Smith, Rivers, E. Manning, Cutler, Stafford, and Wilson?

Wilson had a three way competition, Cincy had Palmer who quit on the team, Kaepernick took his team to the SB, Roethlisberger got the job from a guy who lead the team to like a 14-2 record, Newton was taken by a team that took a QB in the 2nd rd, Rivers sat behind Brees, Eli got the job from Kurt Warner. Ryan took over a team in as bad of shape as any team in the league. Smith, Cutler, Stafford. Luck was considered a prodigy and can't miss prospect. Tannehill i'd say had the same sort of competition as Manuel.

Having a good QB, yet still bringing in talent in order to have a good backup and/or competition for your main guy? I wish Kelly was our coach...we have an average QB, a practice squad backup, and I'm willing to bet Marrone doesn't bring in another QB until at least 2016, if he doesn't get fired before then.

http://sports.yahoo....02344--nfl.html

I think Marrone has always said about how his entire 80 man roster should compete for a starting spot. His "Next Man Up" philosophy is no different. Where Marrone erred is in having too much confidence in a player like Tuel or Rogers when the starters went down. They simply could not take on the starting role.

I think Marrone has always said about how his entire 80 man roster should compete for a starting spot. His "Next Man Up" philosophy is no different. Where Marrone erred is in having too much confidence in a player like Tuel or Rogers when the starters went down. They simply could not take on the starting role.

And in both cases MULTIPLE players had to go down before they saw the field.

Tuel: EJ, Kolb, Lewis

Rogers: McKelvin,Gillmore, Byrd, Brooks