The Affordable Care Act II - Because Mr. Obama Loves You All

Not the point, I want people to have access to healthcare without having to declare bankruptcy from the debt.

You do realize that's the way it was before government intruded into the health care industry, right? Why do you think coverage became so damned convoluted and complicated - because doctors did it?

This is not aimed specifically at you, Rockpile233 - just a general statement:

I've said this before, but with a wave of new visitors to this forum it bears repeating: Health care is NOT a system. It's private enterprise. It's an industry. Doctors are not, nor should they be, government employees. Politicians do not know what your personal medical needs are, nor should they - it's not their job. Medicine and treatment was pretty damned good in this country before they got involved. It's politicians that created all the stupid, bureaucratic legislation that has made everything inaccessible to most people, and to look to the same bunch to make it affordable again is nothing short of retarded.

Edited by Azalin

How smug, arrogant and stupid

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2017/03/09/poor-people-just-dont-want-health-care-says-republican-congressman.html

WASHINGTON—A first-term congressman who spent three decades as a physician — and is now part of a group of Republican doctors who have a major role in replacing Obamacare — is facing backlash after saying that poor people “just don’t want health care and aren’t going to take care of themselves.”

Republican Rep. Roger Marshall, a member of the Republican Doctors Caucus, said comments he made to Stat News were not meant to suggest that poor people take health care for granted. The comments were published in a story last week about his burgeoning role in the fight to replace the Affordable Care Act.

“Just like Jesus said, ‘The poor will always be with us,’” Marshall said in response to a question about Medicaid, which expanded under Obamacare to more than 30 states. “There is a group of people that just don’t want health care and aren’t going to take care of themselves.”

that they dont want one red cent of 'their' money going to somebody else who needs hc and cant afford it

You (as usual) read your own thoughts into what he actually meant................

CNN reports on Trump’s clever new scheme:

In an Oval Office meeting featuring several leaders of conservative groups already lining up against the House Republican plan to repeal and replace Obamacare, President Donald Trump revealed his plan in the event the GOP effort fails: Allow Obamcare to fail and let Democrats take the blame, sources at the gathering told CNN.

If you think about it, this actually makes sense. If the law survives, Trump can spend the next couple of years claiming that it is collapsing all around us — or rather that it continues to collapse, since it is already collapsing as we speak. And Republican voters will of course believe that this is the case, since it is an unshakable truism for them that the law has already failed in spectacular fashion.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/wp/2017/03/09/trump-has-a-secret-backup-plan-to-kill-obamacare-its-actually-brilliant/?utm_term=.7e31a3995f6d

Repeal Obamacare............And respect the people and the states.

As Washington people go around doing Washington things and talking to other Washington people about Washington-focused health-care reform, we would do well to take a step back to simplify the debate in front of us.

We are the most prosperous country in the history of the world. As such, we have many of the best hospitals, doctors, nurses, and medicines available. We have hundreds of insurers that take risk — for profit — to insure us. We have fairly broad, but expensive and not always effective, social safety nets in which we pool our resources through taxation in an effort to help those who need it.

But the truth is, we have a very badly broken health-care system. We are losing doctors by the thousands. Health-care costs have been skyrocketing and insurance premiums are increasingly flat-out unaffordable. Insurance companies are no longer serving vast swaths of our country — leaving people with no choices and reduced access to care. Americans, in short, are no longer able to get the health care of their choosing from the doctor of their choosing at an affordable cost.

Very few people dispute these facts or the need to reform health care. So we now confront a choice between two paths – and when we make this choice, it is highly unlikely we will reach a similar fork in the road.

Path One is to do something different – to acknowledge the failures of Obamacare, which are massive, and then do a very un-Washington thing and honor commitments made to fully repeal it (which have been numerous), and actually roll back a federal mistake. Then, make a fresh start, with two simple steps. First, freeze Medicaid enrollment immediately and send Medicaid dollars to states with zero strings attached to allow them to innovate and be more effective. Second, increase portability and decrease costs through increased competition, by equalizing the tax treatment between employers and individuals.

If we choose this path, we will, in essence, be saying: Let competitive markets and the states clean up the mess Washington created. Drive down costs through unfettered competition, and increase the number of doctors competing for our business. Cost is the problem. Coverage will naturally increase if costs are lowered and will provide far better health-care options for far more Americans.

Furthermore, we should give states maximum flexibility to create programs for the poor and those lacking access to care as well as to create innovations such as high-risk pools and targeted health-savings accounts for those without insurance. The benefit would extend beyond health care, to creating more unity in our country through federalism – allowing us to accommodate our differences.

Path Two would be business-as-usual, in which we listen to Washington insiders tell us how they are going to construct a health-care system for us. That path is – essentially – what we were given this week by the House Republican leadership. That bill, as has been widely observed, is Obamacare 2.0 – in which the subsidies, regulations, and Medicaid expansion of Obamacare have been “replaced” with . . . subsidies, regulations, and Medicaid expansion.

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/445654/obamacare-repeal-trust-states-people

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2017/03/09/poor-people-just-dont-want-health-care-says-republican-congressman.html

WASHINGTON—A first-term congressman who spent three decades as a physician — and is now part of a group of Republican doctors who have a major role in replacing Obamacare — is facing backlash after saying that poor people “just don’t want health care and aren’t going to take care of themselves.”

Republican Rep. Roger Marshall, a member of the Republican Doctors Caucus, said comments he made to Stat News were not meant to suggest that poor people take health care for granted. The comments were published in a story last week about his burgeoning role in the fight to replace the Affordable Care Act.

“Just like Jesus said, ‘The poor will always be with us,’” Marshall said in response to a question about Medicaid, which expanded under Obamacare to more than 30 states. “There is a group of people that just don’t want health care and aren’t going to take care of themselves.”

tell that to the mother who was crying frantically on the phone with me last week whose son can't find a PCP because he has medicaid. she seemed pretty concerned.

Edited by B-Large

181 pages. Did OC solve health care yet?

It's dawned on my lately that your sole purpose for visiting and posting here is to essentially complain about, oh, everything and anything.

You're the guy in the office who complains that someone brought donuts and not bagels, and then bagels appear and you point out there is no cream cheese, and then cream cheese appears and you complain it's not Philadelphia brand.

You've kinda become PastaJoe with brevity..

One person's smug arrogant stupidity is another's absolutely 100% correct. Many poor people are poor for a reason. They just don't give a ****.

It's dawned on my lately that your sole purpose for visiting and posting here is to essentially complain about, oh, everything and anything.

You're the guy in the office who complains that someone brought donuts and not bagels, and then bagels appear and you point out there is no cream cheese, and then cream cheese appears and you complain it's not Philadelphia brand.

You've kinda become PastaJoe with brevity..

Post of the year!! You just reminded me that it's Friday and there are donuts in the break room!! :thumbsup:

One person's smug arrogant stupidity is another's absolutely 100% correct. Many poor people are poor for a reason. They just don't give a ****.

Liberals have spent the last decade trying to convince everyone that being poor (or fat) is a natural state that people have no control over...

This can't be it...

thats exactly what it is. its a sick addition to money as if it were a god, combined with an extreme selfishness. very common in america and around the world. ppl like that tend to stay like that until they themselves wind up needing the help they refused to consider for others

they will tell you thats not it, as they have done here, and then turn around and say things that make it obvious thats really what their issue is. its a very unevolved lower human nature kind of thing. the older i get the more disgusting i find it

I don't care how much money someone else has to pay, I'm entitled to free healthcare!

When applied to your right to clean air and water, which is extremely costly to execute in both the private and public sectors, your argument fails.

And you are speaking to someone who is not poor and a "victim" of rising premiums.

When applied to your right to clean air and water, which is extremely costly to execute in both the private and public sectors, your argument fails.

And you are speaking to someone who is not poor and a "victim" of rising premiums.

The difference being that clean air and water are non-exclusive-use resources: my use of treated water does not preclude yours. My use of health care resources, however, DOES preclude your use.

Liberals have spent the last decade trying to convince everyone that being poor (or fat) is a natural state that people have no control over...

And they can change them. They just need our help (and money).

That is one thing about liberals. They work on emotion. They don't understand that there are certain things in human nature that can't be changed. And that is the reason why diversity doesn't always work.

If you think about it, this actually makes sense. If the law survives, Trump can spend the next couple of years claiming that it is collapsing all around us — or rather that it continues to collapse, since it is already collapsing as we speak. And Republican voters will of course believe that this is the case, since it is an unshakable truism for them that the law has already failed in spectacular fashion.

extremely naive partisan fantasy

if there is no replacement plan then obamacare BECOMES trumpcare by default. you have a small sliver of extreme right wing trump fans that would give him a pass like that, the rest of the country including most of the middle/lower class conservatives that voted him in will rightfully be furious that they didnt do anything to fix it

the republicans will lose hugely if they dont make moves that get us a better plan one way or another. right now they are steaming down the path of hillary or whoever in '20. this issue will likely decide that election

thats exactly what it is. its a sick addition to money as if it were a god, combined with an extreme selfishness. very common in america and around the world. ppl like that tend to stay like that until they themselves wind up needing the help they refused to consider for others

they will tell you thats not it, as they have done here, and then turn around and say things that make it obvious thats really what their issue is. its a very unevolved lower human nature kind of thing. the older i get the more disgusting i find it

Opinion masquerading as facts.

Let me know when you grow up past your I'm good, they're selfish stage

until then, there is no substantive reason to respond to you

The genius of Obamacare is that it's a parasite that can kill the patient if removed.

Like Social Security, we're stuck with this monstrosity.

Opinion masquerading as facts.

Let me know when you grow up past your I'm good, they're selfish stage

until then, there is no substantive reason to respond to you

I have a co-work who absolutely believes that Republicans are evil. No nuance. No grey area. He actually thinks that Republicans just want to watch the world burn. Like super-villians.

And he's in his 50's.