Crossman Retained

I said after the NE game that if Marrone insisted on keeping Crossman he should be fired, which I know sounds extreme but to me that decision speaks to his overall judgment and ability to effectively and introspectively assess the strengths and weaknesses of the team as well as the ability and willingness to do what needs to be done to improve and win.

If I'm trying real hard to defend him though, I suppose it's possible that some of the blame for the poor performance is not on Crossman, but due to massive mid-year roster moves. There was a lot of roster shifting that did not so much effect the offense or defense, but had a significant impact on ST. Cutting Choice, for example, deprived the ST unit of a solid contributor toward the end of the year. I've not done in depth evaluation of ST so I don't know if this is the case, but if Crossman coached the right coverage but inexperienced players missed plays I could at least see why Marrone might give him another chance.

None of this addresses Crossman's prior record of failure, but I really want to believe this move isn't as bad as it appears. For Marrone's sake he better hope Crossman can get his unit together b/c every HC gets a pass on his first season. Now's when he's expected to "show us the baby," and another abortion isn't going to cut it.

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is one of those things that makes me wish I had some insider information to understand. What makes top NFL personnel continue to think that Danny Crossman is a good choice for ST coach?

the worry of course being that buffalo might not be employing top decision makers if they feel he is a good choice. its certainly a red flag, if nothing else.

This is about a surprising as a lake effect snowstorm in Buffalo in winter. I really think Hilliard was a scapegoat here; he may have deserved to be let go, but not more than Crossman. It was Marrone's way of saying, "I will fire an assistant," but he retains his long time buddy. Not a good sign for the future.

I am not sure whether to be alarmed that Crossman's results haven't gotten him fired, or that Crossman's philosophy, whatever it is, seems to align with Marrone's.

Right. You can look at a year of data and say "that's not enough to go on." I don't know how you can look at this record and explain it away. A QB or a RB doesn't get away with ten years of averaging 23rd best. They don't even get 4 seasons of that kind of production.

Personally, I'm alarmed at Crossman's results; nothing more.

Teams can have good or bad STs from year-to-year. Honestly, look at the NYJ, who had one of the most revered ST coaches in history in Mike Westhoff...they improved in ranking from 21st in 2012 to 6th in 2013 after he retired.

Now, I'd never compare Crossman to a guy like Westhoff; my point is simply that STs can simply have bad years. I don't personally think that's what happened, although I do leave room for that possibility.

It's the players not the coach. The punters may have been the two worst in the league last year. Multiple missed tackles. How hard is it to coach stay in your lanes. There is no schemes in special teams anymore. The rules have taken them away. There is no overloads allowed. It is all on the players.

Again the board is missing the point. Moorman sucks. Powell sucked. Most of the offensive line sucks. The linebackers suck. Graham sucks. Marrone's in game decisions suck. Kyle Williams' run defense sucks. Spiller's vision and durability suck. EJ's knees suck. Stevie's hands suck. Every TE on the roster sucks. And most of all the owner sucks.

But instead focus the attention on a special teams coach...

Personally, I'm alarmed at Crossman's results; nothing more.

Teams can have good or bad STs from year-to-year. Honestly, look at the NYJ, who had one of the most revered ST coaches in history in Mike Westhoff...they improved in ranking from 21st in 2012 to 6th in 2013 after he retired.

Now, I'd never compare Crossman to a guy like Westhoff; my point is simply that STs can simply have bad years. I don't personally think that's what happened, although I do leave room for that possibility.

i try to keep the anything is possible and we dont know whats behind the scenes possibilities open but man... hes got a looooong record that makes it incredibly hard to say this will be the year that all those outside issues that are out of his control and causing his miserable results go away and he will finally get to shine for the coach that he really is.

It's the players not the coach. The punters may have been the two worst in the league last year. Multiple missed tackles. How hard is it to coach stay in your lanes. There is no schemes in special teams anymore. The rules have taken them away. There is no overloads allowed. It is all on the players.

Again the board is missing the point. Moorman sucks. Powell sucked. Most of the offensive line sucks. The linebackers suck. Graham sucks. Marrone's in game decisions suck. Kyle Williams' run defense sucks. Spiller's vision and durability suck. EJ's knees suck. Stevie's hands suck. Every TE on the roster sucks. And most of all the owner sucks.

But instead focus the attention on a special teams coach...

Or we could just add to your list: "the special teams coach sucks." They're not mutually exclusive.

He is only shooting himself in the foot.

Most HC's only have 3 years to show improvement or else they are usually let go.

CBF

Tell that to Chudzinski and Schiano. Teams trying to win AND willing to do the previously unthinkable aren't waiting 3 years for the HC and QB to perform. I believe Buffalo is trying to win, but insist on their terms which aren't in-line with what successful teams across the NFL are doing.

STC's might not be like an OC or DC, but I'm starting to think Marrone is almost a Schiano clone. Improved a moribund college team but isn't ready to handle pro players and win in the most competitive league in North America.

Anyone have that same all-too-familiar feeling after reading this? That "oh crap, not again" sensation that makes you frown, lower your head and exhale deeply. It happens the same way.

New coaching staff/mgmt comes in. You don't know what to think of them but you're skeptical because you've been burned before. But you have hope because it might be different this time.

Then one morning, you wake up, and before getting out of bed, you check the TBD forums on your smartphone like you do every morning. You're skimming the topics with one eye closed and something catches your one open glazed eye and any faith you had in the new regime is thrown out the window.

"rumour: kelsay re-signing for 4 more years"

"adam schefter is reporting the bills are extending dick jauron"

"ryan fitzpatrick on verge of signing 59 million dollar contract extension"

And today,

"Crossman Retained"

My first thought is always the same. What would I have to do to eventually become the Bills GM? Go back to school? Intern at OBD? Shovel Ralph's driveway? Because I really feel at that moment in time I could do a better job than these people.

Marrone talks about core players on special teams but wasn't this the same core of players that ranked top 10 last year?

I think #38 McIntyre was sorely missed. I'm not sure who else was even on ST to be honest….But show me a team than sucks at LB and I'll show you a team with bad STs. And the Bills suck at LB, Legend of Kiko notwithstanding.

Tell that to Chudzinski and Schiano. Teams trying to win AND willing to do the previously unthinkable aren't waiting 3 years for the HC and QB to perform. I believe Buffalo is trying to win, but insist on their terms which aren't in-line with what successful teams across the NFL are doing.

STC's might not be like an OC or DC, but I'm starting to think Marrone is almost a Schiano clone. Improved a moribund college team but isn't ready to handle pro players and win in the most competitive league in North America.

Crennel got fired in KC after a year. These examples are all within the last 365 days.

Cleveland and TB are not successful NFL teams

Crennel got fired in KC after a year. These examples are all within the last 365 days.

Wasn't he interim?

I don't get it. Apparently, friendship is more important then winning to this HC.

You would think Whaley or Brandon would force a change is that wanted to win games.

a change that is wanted by TBD?