Report: NFL to Add Additional Wild Card Team per Conference

I for one, am opposed. I do see this as a watering down of the playoffs a bit. 38% of the teams make the playoffs now, 44% would make it in this proposed system. It also devalues the regular season games as it more forgiving for mediocre teams. This will increase the likelihood of 8-8 or losing record teams making the playoffs as well.

Keep it as is, and continue to reward the #2 team with a bye.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I for one, am opposed. I do see this as a watering down of the playoffs a bit. 38% of the teams make the playoffs now, 44% would make it in this proposed system. It also devalues the regular season games as it more forgiving for mediocre teams. This will increase the likelihood of 8-8 or losing record teams making the playoffs as well.

Keep it as is, and continue to reward the #2 team with a bye.

$$$$$$ overrules your sentiment.

$$$$$$ overrules your sentiment.

That is just it, it is greed. For no other purpose than to milk more $ out of the taxpayers, the fans, and the TV networks. It would do the NFL some justice to have their-tax exempt status revoked.

@andrewperloff Dan Patrick says he's been told that the NFL will add a wild card team in both conferences.

Good idea?

yes but they should add 2 teams to make it even. This would give another city hope and makes the league more money every one wins. Don't care about watered down playoffs it gives us (and everyone else ) more of an opportunity.

In light of today's playoff expansion talk It seems to me the largest problem with playoff seeding is the lack of importance of winning a division. Under the current format it is possible for a team to sweep their division opponents while also loosing their division I.E 6-10 It still makes more sense for the league to realign while trying to retain some AFL - NFL history. I would like to see 2 conferences with 16 teams with two 8 team divisions. Each team would play each member of their division twice (14 games) plus one additional in conference and on opposing conference game. This would allow for the four division winners to have a first round bye, and include each divisions two and three seed. In the event of a tie use current tie breaker rules.

American Football Conference

East West

Bills Bengals

Browns Broncos

Dolphins Chargers

Jaguars Chiefs

Jets Colts

Patriots Raiders

Ravens Titans

Steelers Texans

National Football Conference

East West

Bucs Bears

Cowboys Cardinals

Eagles 49ers

Falcons Lions

Giants Packers

Panthers Rams

Skins Seahawks

Saints Vikings

I would personally swap the Cowboys and Rams (Due to geography) but we all know Jerry Jones would cry.
Edited by The Great Alonzo

If they did they would have to re-seed the winner of the 3 "wildcard" games after they play by record.

That would go against what they do now. They currently reseed by seed (if 3 and 4/5 make it out, they are seeded 3 & 4 of remaining teams; and 4/5 & 6 become 3 & 4 respectively); that is how I would expect them to reseed in the new system (so if 2, 4, & 6 come out, they become 2, 3, & 4).

Maybe it's just me, but something irks me about the possibility of the Bills finally ending their playoff draught by finishing 7th in the AFC with a potentially mediocre record due to a rule change. It would just feel a little tainted. I'm picturing this nightmare scenario where the Bills back their way into the #7 spot by another team losing in week 17 and then get blown out in the first round. That's no way to end a playoff draught.

That said, that's a pretty specific scenario. As long as pretty much anything else happens, I'll be happy with the playoffs. Go Bills!

Maybe it's just me, but something irks me about the possibility of the Bills finally ending their playoff draught by finishing 7th in the AFC with a potentially mediocre record due to a rule change. It would just feel a little tainted. I'm picturing this nightmare scenario where the Bills back their way into the #7 spot by another team losing in week 17 and then get blown out in the first round. That's no way to end a playoff draught.

That said, that's a pretty specific scenario. As long as pretty much anything else happens, I'll be happy with the playoffs. Go Bills!

It's too specific to worry about. It's just as possible that they could be the 10-6 team getting shafted while a lesser division winner gets in. That is hard to believe given their recent history, but I'm just putting that out there. More playoff slots means fewer chances that good teams don't make it.